The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

How to stimulate activity

Loki Wyrd

I thought it would be beneficial to have a thread focused specifically on various events/stories/initiatives that we can start to make it easy for people to get more active within the community. The important part is not only that we brainstorm, but also that we consider how we can go about getting started, and maybe figure out some timelines.

I'm working on putting up a revival tent, for any that need to be housed away from the cruelties of the world; or possibly to house various cruelties of our own.

I dpn't know what type of software the site uses ut generally, widgets are fairly easy to install. Like twitter feeds. I know wordpress is well setup for that sort of thing. But there as well, it's up to the users to experiment and pimp the site on their facebook and actually make use of it.

Visually speaking, I'm a graphic designer so I'd be happy tp consult with the powers that be if they want an informed opinion.

Again, the hierarchy concern was mostly in regards to newer members not being able to see potentially active forums in the inner sanctum (and the place seeming empty). But if we can stimulate enough activity in the tavern of the quill, it's not such a concern.

I can certainly get on board with the boobs suggestion.

Edited by Loki Wyrd

Dude - you are waaaaaay too connected. :P

Though I can understand the reasoning of supporting multiple means of expression and interaction, I am also the first to admit I myself am probably the least savvy person here. I don't have a facebook account, a myspace account, a twitter account, or skype. Even my messenger capability is currently offline. <_<

Perhaps that will change - but for now most people I know at the Pen come here as much for the writing as the people, but it is known as primarily a writing site - though the people are first rate. :)

In answer to your question, we have in the past, as much as we have done anything, communicated by IRC. At this stage, if you want to talk to everyone in common, I propose we schedule a meeting on IRC. It probably has a far better chance of happening than any other method.

And that said - I haven't been on IRC in quite some time either.... :blush:

Edited by The Portrait of Zool

but for now most people I know at the Pen come here as much for the writing as the people, but it is known as primarily a writing site - though the people are first rate. :)

In answer to your question, we have in the past, as much as we have done anything, communicated by IRC.

Are we trying to stimulate activity in the current members or to attract new members?

Are we trying to stimulate activity in the current members or to attract new members?

I'm neither claiming nor pretending to be captain of this ship - I was just letting you know how we currently meet. :)

Thanks for supplying the particulars Signe. :)

Wyvern sifts through a very modest looking roll of geld in his claws, the "roll" in question consisting of a single geld piece wrapped in a Christmas giftwrap tube meant to fit at least 20 of such coins. Somehow the well-wrapped geld still manages to slip out of Wyvern's claws when the lizard pauses to overhear the discussions of activity stimulation, causing him to burst into a stream of curses and flail with his wings as he drops to the floor to scramble for it...

I just wanted to drop in to say that I agree 100% with Jason Newcomb and Loki Wyrd about the "more boobs" thing. I also love the ideas proposed to expand the Pen's reach through more online social networking sites, and as an initiative have launched a Facebook group for the Pen. It still needs a bit of polish from our more artistic pennites, but it's here to join never the less!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2162...7965&ref=nf

Consider it an Xmas present to the Pen, if you will. :-) And thanks for all the great ideas Loki and Jason, feel free to keep'em coming.

With that, Wyvern sets off across the floorboards, sniffing at each and every crack in his futile Christmas geld search...

I'm neither claiming nor pretending to be captain of this ship - I was just letting you know how we currently meet. :)

Oh come now- Captaincy does not equal having ideas.

What's on your mind? Jason's not the only one who wants t'know...

(and thanks Wyv!)

Skype is not so good for me- not due to my comp, but due to interrupting roommate.

As for tossing ideas around, tho'- my own litle one is every time I post on the webcomics I read, I fill in the Pen url as 'My Website'.

No idea if that's attracted anybody, but hey, can't hurt.

I see now my comment might have come across as snarky. I'm sorry about that. The question was just that, a question. Which goal do we set for ourselves? Stimulate activity or increase membership. :)

Also, I was suggesting skype because it has audio. I think it would help the discussion if we could do it in real time.

P.S: If we do want to do a "write the lyrics contest", I already have a song for it. PM me. I'm happy to focus on building that project up.

Snypiuer swings in on a rope, drunk and stumbling around. His unsteadiness, combined with his garbled speech, makes everyone believe that Captain Jack Sparrow was an amalgamation of Henry Higgins and a proper Southern Gentleman in comparison, he can barely slur, "Some one mention a ship in need of a Captain?" - right before falling overboard (no one has any idea where a ship railing came from), disappearing from view.

Jason, how about doing a Youtube of the music and posting it. Everyone could then listen and submit lyrics. Then we could vote and you then post aversion with the winning lyrics or maybe you could post a version of each submission and then we pick.

Also, are there any other Pennites that do music? Maybe they could put some other Pennites works to music also and then every month or so, we could vote on one and place it on the Facebook page or something.

Or how about readings of works being posted? Either by the author or one of the more theatrical Pennites? Once again, every month, we could vote to see which work would be featured. We could have categories, one of which would be new works posted that month - this might get people to post more often.

Just tossing out the ideas!

Jason has Youtube videos of his songs, and they're worth subscribing to view. =) A "write the lyrics" might be good.

I know I've sent several people here, but my life hasn't supported my own presence! Being basically homeless and living off the charity of others can be more time-consuming than you'd think. :P

speaking of which, my hard drive is dying, so if I disappear for a while offline, that's what it is...

No worries Jason. I was a bit confused, as I felt I had already laid out my position in post #7, so I do appreciate your explanation. I see now how that post really doesn't answer your question at all. Apologies here too. :)

Personally, I am for expanding the Pen in any way in line with our Standard, which as I see it is pretty much just to be creative and have fun together. :)

(I feel a bit silly posting this, and I'm sorry it's so long)

Speaking as someone who has been around for a long while but descended into kind of a lurker, I'd like it very much if there were more big open things that anyone could join. Some of my fondest memories around, the ones that bring me back even years later, here have been things like the Fall Ball or, more slightly recently and more epically, Kiku and Dego's quill quest rp. I feel like...these allowed people to not just get more involved, but to form connections and relationships with other Pennites here on the site. Sometimes, It's difficult to know where to jump in, who to talk to, where to go or if you're even allowed to go there. It's difficult to see if there's really a place for you.

And also--while I read most of the stories and poems that get posted here, I rarely comment since I usually have had no interaction with the person who posted. Especially if I'd like to offer some kind of suggestion or constructive criticism. OK, I realize that I do lurk a lot, so part of this is my fault. But honestly...I'd be more involved if I could find a way to do it. And while I know that this sounds a bit silly, I'm certain that I can't be the only one out there who could've left a comment, but didn't—or who could have clicked open a thread or story, but didn't—mostly because they have no attachment whatsoever to the poster.

So yes, I think that the facebook group is a lovely idea as well as integrating youtube videos. Falling into the category of “more theatrical Pennites” I'm a little bit in love with the idea of having people read out their work and post the videos on youtube.

However, I think it's also important to see some new text-based interaction/community building here on the Pen, either at the same time as the new social networking stuff, or soon. I know that thinking up interesting whole-community rp plots isn't exactly easy, we've got a lot of awesome, creative people here. I'm positive that if some of us got together and brainstormed, as in this thread, we could come up with great things. I also know that when it's just the people who are really active, it's difficult to get big ideas off the ground. However, I am convinced that if the program is well thought out, well advertised and leaves space for creativity, people will come out.

Also, is there any way to mass-email or mass-PM all members? I still keep up with a few of people who used to be active years ago--I mean, I know that they're still alive and kicking about the internet, and I'm sure that they'd come back if someone reminded them. Even if it was just to log back in for a day—if we've got new and exciting things things up and running and being awesome, they'll see them and maybe stay.

Wyvern, I've got a question for you—is the almost report a thing of the past? I know that there is some kind of news system in place somewhere...but the area labeled "news" is suspiciously empty. Maybe that could be revamped in some way?

I think that the most important thing that can be done to stimulate activity is to show that there is a place without our community for everyone--both newcomers and those who've taken to lurking.

Edited by troubled sleep

Speaking as someone who has been around for a long while but descended into kind of a lurker, I'd like it very much if there were more big open things that anyone could join. Some of my fondest memories around, the ones that bring me back even years later, here have been things like the Fall Ball or, more slightly recently and more epically, Kiku and Dego's quill quest rp. I feel like...these allowed people to not just get more involved, but to form connections and relationships with other Pennites here on the site. Sometimes, It's difficult to know where to jump in, who to talk to, where to go or if you're even allowed to go there. It's difficult to see if there's really a place for you.

So yes, I think that the facebook group is a lovely idea as well as integrating youtube videos. Falling into the category of “more theatrical Pennites” I'm a little bit in love with the idea of having people read out their work and post the videos on youtube.

Also, is there any way to mass-email or mass-PM all members?...

Wyvern, I've got a question for you—is the almost report a thing of the past? I know that there is some kind of news system in place somewhere...but the area labeled "news" is suspiciously empty. Maybe that could be revamped in some way?

I think that the most important thing that can be done to stimulate activity is to show that there is a place without our community for everyone--both newcomers and those who've taken to lurking.

It's exactly this kind of commentary that helps give me some perspective on what the 'casual patron' may be looking for more of. Thanks! :)

What may be a good idea, which I used to also love about Wyvern's Almost Reports (well, one step from, anywho...), and which I notice many other popular sites do, is have some kind of monthly or weekly mass emailler. I'm sure there must be an option on this site to put together a list of members and email them all at once. Perhaps we could add an option to the profiles to subscribe to the weekly or monthly emailler (with the default being 'Join'), which will list all the currently active RPs and recent stories and poems, etc. It could also give a little info on the RP's to help someone join if they want.

The big trouble with this of course would be finding someone to actually do it. Few people would volunteer, I feel, because the sheer amount of work involved would quickly become overwhelming. I know I myself, with my busy family and work activities could never do it - BUT perhaps we could find enough volunteers to split up the work and make it manageable? Let's say we decided to put out a Weekly Reminder or Pen Digest to be emailed on Mondays (could actually be completed over the weekend) or Fridays (could actually be completed in the evenings during the week) and we had 8 volunteers to share the burden that means each volunteer would only have to complete a digest once every 2 months! THAT is a manageable workload, even for me. :P The only extra work would be one person who could manage the list, PMing people to ensure they remembered it was their turn and coordinate with the rest of the list during those inevitable times when 'something comes up'.

This would, IMO, be a big help in sorting out what was active without wading through 100 new posts on 20 sub-forums since the last time a person was there, and they would be able to put all that saved time to joining an RP immediately or reading their favorite contributor immediately, etc.. The digest could also go to the Pen Facebook page, etc.. :)

So yes, I think that the facebook group is a lovely idea as well as integrating youtube videos. Falling into the category of “more theatrical Pennites” I'm a little bit in love with the idea of having people read out their work and post the videos on youtube. - troubled sleep

Misinterprets Troubled Sleeps' comment (on purpose - of course) as meaning she's in love with him and blushes :blush:

There was a mention of not knowing when, or to what extent, comments were welcome. Is there anyway to set it up when you post to turn off comments? That way, if it's left on, it will automatically be implied.

Just a thought.

Jason: Both reaching out to new members and reinvigorating old membership should be our goal. They go together: new members bring fresh voices and energy; old members will participate more with more ruckus about. And I think we all can recognize the importance of senior member involvement--the depth of experience they bring to the community.

The idea of connecting the Pen community outside of the forums is a great one I'd like to see continue to develop. I haven't been on IRC in a long time, but maybe I'll come visit. Though I may be an unstable presence. ^_^

I'm excited to hear of more activities we can launch within the forums. A large event like the festivals of past would be a perfect way to showcase the potential of our creativity. I think the revival tent Peredhil earlier suggested would be an apposite theme. I'd be happy to help coordinate efforts if others are interested.

Edited by Loki Wyrd