The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

game idea

I had an idea today for an object game that I think would be a lot of fun to play if people were interested.

Basically, people pick a number from one to twelve, and I'll PM them their object. It will be a common, everyday object, and your job is to write a short story about it. I suggest including things like naming the item, creating its history, its purpose and how it's used, what's special about it, strange characteristics, things like that.

There will be a lot of variation in story, because some people may want to make their object magical, or mechanical, or have a long and important history, or maybe it's just an ordinary item that's special to someone for personal reasons. Whatever you decide your item is, write its story.

I'll be playing too. I'll have someone pick a number for me. Anyone else want to play?

Would love to try this! Seeing how fickle my creativity is lately though.. but I will try very hard, count me in ^_^

*Appy would like the number 4.. if that's the purpose already* :)

I'd like to try, but lately I'm quite unreliable when it comes to deadlines since RL has been a tad too demanding on "time" questions... if you don't mind that, I'll do my best.

Question: does it have to be a short story, or can be it a poem?

Zool - I talked with her earlier about the idea, but forgot to ask about when she wanted us to post the numbers. *sheepish grin*

The "pick a number" thing is because she's making a list of objects, so everyone who picks the same number will have the same object. It's only the pre-set list of *things* that are limited in number.

Mylo - I'll take number..... 8.

Cool, people want to play!

I'll leave the sign up open for a while before I pm out the objects and then open a game thread.

Zool -- As Ayshela said, the numbers do not mean that only 12 people can play. The objects can be picked twice, because people will obviously go different ways with the stories.

Tanuchan -- A poem? I hadn't thought of that but of course! If you can make it work as a poem, that would definitely be fun read.

I'll be accepting signups through Sunday Night.

Monday I'll send out the objects and open the thread for the stories.

And no, as requested there will be no deadlines for this. Just post them when you're finished. :)

Mynx-- Would you mind picking my number for me?

wow! that was fast - I just got the PM for mine! =)

I think she was going to start a game response thread in the Assembly Room once I could help her link the thread in here.

This - I wish I had more time to properly appreciate it! Will have to come back and read more carefully. =)

Yeah, My head hurt and I couldn't remember where to put it or how to do the link thingy. So I was going to do all that once I had taken a nap and my mommie's head didn't hurt enough that she could help me with it.

-Zool-

That is so excellent!! And it's even got the cheesy happy ending. ^.^

I really like how you made the story about the broom, but included the other items in the kitchen.