The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Points to Ponder

Ayshela

Salinye hasn't been around much of late, so continuation of her Life Questions series is iffy at best. Those were always good discussion points though, and I think we really NEED something like that again.

That being the case, I thought I'd bring here a question which came up in another discussion a few days ago.

It's 3am and you're awakened by the shrill sound of your smoke detector. Given that you, your family, your roommates, your friends, your pets - every living being in your home escapes safely, you have time to grab only three things on your way out. What are they?

I found I have two different lists for this, and have some difficulty reconciling them. (Go figure. :lol:)

Logically, I would grab my purse (which has almost everything of direct importance in it), my cel phone (which has any phone number of importance to me, and is my lifeline many times), and my meds (without which I don't walk, this time of year).

Emotionally, I would grab the teddy bear Ozy gave me, the quilt my grandmother gave me (which was the last one she made before she died), and once again my cel phone (did I mention it's my lifeline?).

Of the five things (since one's a repeat), I'm honestly not sure how I'd pare that down to three.

If my family is safe, i can't really think of anything i'd risk my life for in a burning fire... i'm just not a very materialistic person (you can thank the book The Gospel According to Larry by Janet Tashjian for that). On the days where i think about just up and leaving to find my way in the real world, which are many, i usually imagine myself leaving empty handed.... maybe some cash in case

Definately my guitar-that-isn't mine, if only because it means alot to the owner. Other than that, I wouldn't know really. My coat and pants, probably, which serve the same purpose as Ayshela's purse... and they keep me warm too 8)

This is a very hard question to answer. I moved in with my boyfriend not long ago and so everything we own is in one room. It has taught me that most items are not important and even without them you can move on. I threw away my baby blanket finally (but I think that is because I no longer needed it to feel secure, I have him.)

I asked my co-workers this question and got some amusing answers: golf clubs, wallet, "my training manual" one guy said - my boss looked at him and gave him brownie points.

I would probably grab my PC only because I'm still paying it off and it has a lot of pictures on it from the past. My little jewelry box because of its sentimental value and maybe the leather jacket my Dad bought me for Christmas two years ago. The event surrounding that jacket was special and so it holds an important place in my heart.

I have too many weapons to save! *wails*

Probably though, I'd go for my purse (with my cellphone inside), at least one set of my weapons - probably my sai since they're in a case already, although if I ever end up finding a particular dagger that'd take the prize - and a draw in my dresser that's full of photos and writings. It's small enough that I could just pull it out and scarper.

The only other thing I'd agonize over taking is my laptop because that has all of my work up to date and, while I keep a usb key in my purse, I don't always remember to update it.

Knowing me I'd try to grab it as a fourth item :P

;)

Honestly I don't know - it'd probably come down to wallet, usb key and maybe laptop or camera... and the hope that it either never happens or it doesn't happen until after I've compiled a complete list of all my books and dvd's for later recovery... and done the electronic offsite copy of all my photos. ;)

I've moved around a fair amount, so pretty much everything is replaceable.

1. Laptop and or external hardrive... probably the hard drive since it's smaller.

2. wallet

3. cell phone

The combination of all three makes it much much easier to replace the rest. Now if I had a few hours notice for say a flood, I'd cart off my brother's library (basically a small bookshelf) and my old photo albums too.

Hmm - interesting question...

Cerulean, ever the romantic, would rescue:

• The painted wooden horse my fiancé gave to me on our first date.
  • My battered and dog-eared copy of 'Poetry 1900 to 1975' edited by George MacBeth. This was the first book of poetry I owned and it's travelled in my backpack everywhere that I have.
  • A pine cone I picked up on a long walk, following the news that DD, my cat had died. I've treasured it ever since, for no good reason.
Scarlett, in adherence with her hedonistic principles would probably grab:
  • The one pair of girly girl shoes I have ever owned: strappy, sequinny, heels to end all heels and small print on the soles advising that these items are not meant to walk in! :D
  • The bottle of bubbly from the fridge
  • Our luscious, scrunchy duvet - to wind herself up in while waiting for the emergency services. Being of eradication extraction, Ms O'Harpy does not enjoy the cold.
I, being the more practical point of the triangle, would take my laptop, my mobile and a folder containing reference and policy numbers for all utilities, insurance, banking and other service providers. Boring I know. ;)

1) I bought 5 tickets from a girl in High School on whom I had a semi-crush. I gave 4 away and saved one for my scrap book. It won a hand-made quilt that had been donated to the raffle by my cub-scout Den-Mother before she died. I'd take the quilt.

2) Heart Bear

3) my Beatles cap

Let's see...

1) My important documents - birth certificate, Social Security Card, bank statements, etc, which are in a handy, easy to carry box already.

2) My wallet, with the credit cards that'll let me support myself while insurance works its way through.

3) *looks around* Pratical things aside, I'd grab the fox doll that represents Daryl to give me something other then a wiggly cat to hold onto. There's a lot here I'd miss, but people are more important then possessions.

Always a tough question.

1. My bass. I've put so much into it and it's been my faithful companion through the years.

2. My varsity jacket- warm, and the pockets are filled with all my daily stuff - cell phone, money, ipod, chapstick, etc.

3. Maybe my computer? Lots of important files, but it'd be hard to lug around. Alternatively, any artwork, books or writing lying around, but it's all rather scattered. In the end, it'd probably be my writing, since it's all in one binder.

• 2 weeks later...

My purse, which probably counts as about six items, because it holds my palm pilot, cell phone, digital camera, and jump drive (with four disks) not to mention all my cards and usually some cash. But I insist that since I cart this thing around all day, every day, as one item, it really must count as one. (The palm pilot and possibly the jump drive w/ disks is all I really need from there.)

Then my laptop bag which also holds an external drive. The drive is all I really need from there.

Um. I guess that's it. Really, everything I hold dear is in the form of information - all my writing and my pictures and schemes are between my palm pilot, memory cards and external hard drive. The rest would take time to recontruct, but it wouldn't take a part of *me* like removing me from all my prior writing and ideas would do.

I guess if my third item could consist of a relatively bulky and heavy filing cabinet (but not relative to other filing cabinets; it's actually pretty small, then) then I'd bring that - or just quickly grab the ideas and drawings and writing folders. Sure, that's three in total now, right? *grin*

I suppose it's sort of sad that I can't think of anything with purely emotional value. Then again I *do* put emotional stock into people and pets, so it's probably not that abnormal.

Yup, purse counts as one item - as would a backpack or briefcase or similar "container" type item which is grabbed and carried with one hand or over the shoulder(s). That's really how I'd squeak out with three - throwing cel and meds into my purse. ;)

MOST of the stuff of any emotional value, for me, is valuable not because of what it is, but because it's the only link I have to someone who isn't here. That's why I specifically prefaced this with the assumption that all people and pets made it out safely - that's THE most important point, and all the "hunh, what *would* I take?" comes after that. =)

*huggles*

Guest Phoenix

ok. difficult question. eep.

*thinks*

first up would be my camera. partly because i'm still paying it off, but mostly because nothing else in my life gives me the satisfaction and joy it does. and because i still need a hell of a lot of practise to get good! :)

then i'd grab my quilt, which my mother handmade for me. she had only half finished it when i had to take her to hospital (when i was quite sick as well) and she ended up almost dying. there were a lot of conversations about who was going to finish it if/when she died, and it's dedicated to 'the daughter who saved my life', which still blows me away. theres a lot of memories in it.

and i really can't think of a third. most of the rest of the stuff in my life is replaceable. theres a lot of stuff i'd rather not have to replace, but i can live without all of it if need be.

oh - my koru, which my parents got me for my 21st. except thats cheating cos its not in my room at the moment, it's in storage :P

and a Koru is a jade pendant. you're not supposed to buy one, they're supposed to be presents and the more you wear them the more beautiful they get, because your skin changes the texture of them. i just don't feel like taking mine on holiday and losing it, so, storage it is. i've never seen another one quite like it, and my Dad spent 8 years choosing it, so, again with the emotional attachment thing.

Edited by Phoenix

For the moment I'll stick with this. Of course when mood changes the answers might, but that's okay.

My Phone -- Calling People ((durr)) and it beeps at me when I'm supposed to be somewhere. I've got a really bad memory.

My Camera -- Photos of pretty lights. WHEEE!!! Plus photos of people with only the light of fire always makes them look different. You never look at them the same in fire light. I like it.

Bottle of Bubbles -- Entertainment plus fire light always looks fun reflecting on bubbles.

THE END!!!