The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Board Update

Vlad

Small fires rage around the city while Pennites flock in panic, emergency sirens blaring. Many are seen gathering possesions - magical items and artifacts, momentos of adventures past, scrolls and parchments of poetry, ink wells and quills, advertisements for Almost Dragonic products. Carnival booths being torn down left and right, a slew of mages operating to lift the portal to the beach and load it onto a heavy cart, a horde of goblins moving the conservatory brick by brick. A sense of urgency swells as stark winds spread fires eastward, toward the gates.

Scattered members stand to direct the traffic throught the gate, fearing collapse at any moment, while many Elders serve as waypoints in the people's exodus. Quickly going through the keep, Vlad knew to spread the news to those who had not yet heard or realized. Even as he approached you, the lich began speaking.

"Move out. We don't have much time. If anything, we're down on time. Grab your stuff and let's go!"

And he's gone before you even have a chance to ask why. Heeding his advice, you follow the groups exiting, nervously whispering amongst yourselves.

Just outside of the gates, the soft features of Yui-Chan greet you, and she offers to explain the situation.

"We're doing a bit of reconstruction here. A bit of upgrading, if you will. Everything is expected to be back up and running Monday morning," she explained with a reassuring smile. "We don't plan on losing anything in the transition, but it's a good thing you grabbed all your stuff, just in case."

Edited by Vlad

The Mighty Upgrade has been accomplished (though not without its share of weeping and moaning, I assure you >_<). As you've probably noted, the Mighty Skins are not yet ready. In truth, the update went poorly and took up all my skin-translating time.

Anyway, skins will be back ASAP. I'll be working on them over the next few days. In the mean time, please do your best to muddle through with Invision's default Blue.

Similarly, the Portal is out of commission until I can beat it into submission. Once again, hopefully within a few days.

The Custom UBB codes that we had (Tables and StaticURLs) have been reinstalled with some very minor differences. Look for a topic with those updates some time tomorrow. (That's Monday.)

Ah, and if you're looking for that extremely long list of smilies ... I'm afraid you won't find most of them. The updated board handles custom Smilies in a completely different way, so the old smilies just couldn't find their way over here. They're right behind the Portal and the Skins on my list of things to re-add, though, so look for them to magically reappear later this week.

In the meantime, please take a look around and get used to the new commands, the new look and the upgraded functions. If you find errors, bugs, or just have questions, feel free to post them here.

Tired and going to bed,

~Yui-chan (with the gracious help of Aegon)

I can see it now. You all still can't?

Still can't... refreshed just in case, and nothing either. I can see the Minstrell Hall, SWG and AAA, but no AVV.

I have another problem... was checking the tables I used to list my works at the Piazza, and clicked a wrong button (*mumbles against new buttons and commands in different places*) and ended up editing instead of cancelling the edit. Of course, as the tables are now in HTML and I don't have permission to use html code, the table is just a string of codes >_<. Can someone correct that for me - or at least tell me if the old UBB code will work (I have it saved in my computer).

List of works

Thanks...

~Tanny

Edited by Tanuchan

Looking around I think these things are all in options and will have to wait until our blessed yui can put us back to the way we were. (Yui, if you're reading this, tell me if there's any way I can help.)

Tanny, on your table issue I can't use html either until the board is back...

Tanny, on your table issue I can't use html either until the board is back...

Thanks, Gwai... I've tested the old UBB tags, but they don't work - Yui did say they've changed a bit. I hope we can make the tables work without too much trouble... mine is *huge*... :P And having them in html works now, but we can't update them.

And I'd quote Sweet... not in a hurry, just letting you know. :)

~As a PS, I love the quick edit feature :D~

~Tanny

Edited by Tanuchan

Notes:

• I can see the AVV. (IE browser).
  • I can still use mod abilities. (They're in the top right, though.. maybe you just didn't see them there, Sweetcherrie?)
  • Yui rocks. And whoever else helped with the upgrade. It's neat-o. *wild cheer*
  • Whoa! We can change the size of the post-square!

Correction: Mod abilities aren't in the top right, that's something everyone has. I did find mod abilities though. Sweetcherrie says she has abilities in some subforums and not others - I haven't tested fully, but have them in at least 2 subforums. However, the particulars of those would probably be better off in PMs.

The other thing, since I'm posting anyway, is that polls rock now (you can ask multiple questions), and that everyone should go check out the Board Assistant (right next to My Controls and View New Posts in the upper right corner of the board) because it's actually handy now.

... I've tested the old UBB tags, but they don't work...

Tanny, your table is fixed. There were two problems with it, one caused by one of those UBB code changes I mentioned, and the other caused by me not properly re-entering one of the unchanged custom UBB codes. :unsure: Anyway, problem #2 is fixed, and I'll post up a guide to the custom UBB code shortly, which will help you (all) make sure problem #1 doesn't pop up again.

Sweetcherry, you and Katzaniel have the same permission mask applied, so if she can Mod, you should be able to as well. I've verified that the board is, indeed, identifying you as a moderator for the AVV. Please double-check that you weren't just missing the mod controls (which are in a slightly different position, now), and let me know if I need to investigate further. Thanks!

All, I found that some incorrect permissions were at fault for the AVV being hidden to Poets, Quill-bearers and Troubadors. It's been corrected. In fact, I went through the whole list of forums and corrected a number of improperly assigned permissions. I -think- everything is right, now, though there were some people/groups whose permission status were unclear to me. Point being, if you find you can't see something you should, just let me know. :)

Okay. I think that's everyone.

Back to work!

~Yui

Tanny, your table is fixed. There were two problems with it, one caused by one of those UBB code changes I mentioned, and the other caused by me not properly re-entering one of the unchanged custom UBB codes. :unsure: Anyway, problem #2 is fixed, and I'll post up a guide to the custom UBB code shortly, which will help you (all) make sure problem #1 doesn't pop up again.

Thanks, Yui!!

But you caused another question to pop up... :P The first table is now corrected, using the UBB tags. The other two tables are still in html, from what I could check by just looking at the edit box. Will I need to reload them with the UBB tags?

Thanks again for your hard work, I do like the way this upgraded software works :)

~Tanny

Me adds her voice to the thank you's, I love some of the new toys B)

I've checkes all subforums of the AVV, and all works fine, except for the Compass.

I seriously have no Mod options there, not under forum options, nor in the drop-down box where you can close, delete, etc.

The other two tables are still in html, from what I could check by just looking at the edit box. Will I need to reload them with the UBB tags?

Well, Tanny, I was about to launch into a 'no' answer, but I went back to look at the posts (not just yours, either), and I'm afraid to say that it looks like you -will- need to do a one-time replace in order to get the board to convert it to and from UBB Code properly.

I have to admit, I have no idea why that's the case. The custom UBB codes that I added in to the upgraded forum are identical to the originals with the exception of the new {tablew} designator. In theory, the board should have treated them exactly like the originals, thus being able to convert back and forth. I'm sorry for the inconvenience. Be sure to refer to The Pen Technology thread to guide you in which UBB codes to put in place of the HTML.

Thanks,

~Yui

I've checkes all subforums of the AVV, and all works fine, except for the Compass. I seriously have no Mod options there, not under forum options, nor in the drop-down box where you can close, delete, etc.

Sweetcherrie,

Problem corrected. Somehow, that particular forum had no mods assigned at all. I've restored Mod ability to you, Gryphon and Nyyark as standard.

Yours,

~Yui

Well, Tanny, I was about to launch into a 'no' answer, but I went back to look at the posts (not just yours, either), and I'm afraid to say that it looks like you -will- need to do a one-time replace in order to get the board to convert it to and from UBB Code properly.

I have to admit, I have no idea why that's the case. The custom UBB codes that I added in to the upgraded forum are identical to the originals with the exception of the new {tablew} designator. In theory, the board should have treated them exactly like the originals, thus being able to convert back and forth. I'm sorry for the inconvenience. Be sure to refer to The Pen Technology thread to guide you in which UBB codes to put in place of the HTML.

Thanks, Yui. :)

I've just copied/pasted my saved coded file - the only difference is the {tablew} descriptor, so it was really easy. I think that, for some reason, the backup you made treated the tables as html and saved them in that format instead of preserving the UBB codes...

And finally I can make an index to posts that just scroll down to the right post instead of opening a new window - loved the {post} function, and have already used it :).

Edited by Tanuchan