The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

I got it...

I read a chapter the first day... no, make that two chapters...

I sat down to read a bit more on Sunday night...

I put down the book when I completed reading it at 1:20am Monday morning...

I have got to know what happens in the next one! How long do we have to wait again?

:D

That book was so cool, and OMG, Valdar - wasn't it though? I mean that ending? Who'd have thunk it? Crazy. Cool. Yeah.

Me obscure? Nah. I just didn't get much sleep last night for some reason.

Edited by Gryphon

huh, there's a link? It's been refuted?

Wow.

It came out of a discussion with Nyyark and a couple of others about the books. The description of Ron's face was similar to the young Dumbledore in Chamber of secrets, and they both had red/auburn hair.

Ron always gets socks for Christmas, and Dumbledore saw socks in the mirror.

The jelly beans shouldn't've been made when Dumbledore was growing up, but he'd tasted a vomit flavored one.

Basically, I was pointing out continuity dissonance from the GameMaster point of view, and just joking around. I was still joking around in my post above!

If you find that link, I'd be interested in reading it. :)

Here's where I first read the Ron/Dumbledore idea

http://www.knight2king.net/Knight2King/weasleyisourking.html

and here is the refutation (I'm not sure to be relieved that time travel is not likely to come up again or disapointed that such a beautiful theory is probably not correct.)

http://www.jkrowling.com/textonly/rumours_view.cfm?id=31

Yeah, I had read that theory before, and was deeply convinced until I came across that refutation. It really did seem to fit everything.

But I should probably duck out of this thread, because I'm one of those infidels who hasn't read HBP yet, and I wouldn't want to get attacked by tomatoes. (*giggle*)

Wow, I'm glad to hear that I wasn't the only one up until the wee hours of Monday morning!! I finished shortly before two am this morning...and the ending most definitely caught me off guard! Oh well, at least there was no random Harry shouting for pages and pages on end like in Order of the Phoenix. That *really* started to bug me after the first seven straight pages of it.

Also, I'd never heard the theory about Ron being Dumbledore...it's interesting, though.

Edited by troubled sleep

I'm reading it right now! I'm near the page 300 mark. I just finished the chapter that has his second lesson with Dumbledore. I am LOVING this book so far. I feel like so far it's the maturist in content. But, when I'm done reading it I'll zip up to the spoiler thread and discuss it there!!

~Salinye :fairy:

Yui,

Did you know that teens were a large porportion of Dickens' audience too? (He changed his writing and added things in just to appeal to them etc.)

Anyway, I've never yet seen a fantasy/sci fi book that I couldn't have read as a young teen, but that doesn't make me like them less (just makes me read faster.)

In general I try to stay off the subject of HP because I'm not really sure what I think of it, and because I tend to rant. However, I saw your post, Yui, and I felt compelled to reply. I have often wondered the same thing. What is it, exactly, that cause HP books to fly of the shelves, and makes J.K.Rowling so rich? One thing I find ironic is that the books are hundreds of pages long, yet they're written for a younger audience, though of course, teens are completely capable of reading 600 page books. I guess maybe I thought the target audience was younger than that. Still, everyone seems to love them. I believe I've only met one person who hated HP. Anyways, I find the HP phenomenon strange and inexplicable, and it's nice to know I'm not completely alone. Also, I was glad to read this book is free of Harry rants. I haven't read it yet; I'm waiting for my sister to finish our copy. So, that's my two cents. I might post again after I've read the book. -DQ

The Harry Potter Books are written at a 7th grade reading level I believe. I have also read somewhere that the majority of Americans, (and I'm forced to assume this applies to many other English speaking countries) read at a 7th grade level.

Wyvern snorts upon hearing the discussion of Harry Potter, and quickly sets up a booth in the corner of the Cabaret Room. The overgrown lizard scrawls "J.K Rowlings, Just for Kids? JDRollins, Just Different!" onto a spare sheet of cardboard, then tacks the sign onto the front of his counter.

"Tired of J.K Rowling? Read all the Harry Potter books and need a new escape? Come check out JDRollins, the latest Pen pop sssensation!"

Wyvern sets four sheets onto the table in front of him, and waves his claws over each of them. Each piece of paper has the initials "J.D" engraved on the upper-righthand corner in a neon golden brownish-yellow hue. Wyvern strikes a toothy grin and pulls out a disfunctional Almost Dragonic Brand not-so-Megaphone™.

"I've begun reading through JDRollins works, and mussst say that I find them highly marketa- err, impressive. I'm 40 words into "How do I see the Klingon Empire," and can already envision several movie spin-offs (comparisons to popular sci-fi flicks are purely coincidental). Besides, Gregor of House Tinara has way more tact than any schoolboy magician ever could."

;-)

*enters late* :P

Still working through it. It's been pretty good so far.

Sorry I've been so inactive, but I'm in more of a reading mood than writing mood. . .

EDIT: By the way, hello JD :)

Edited by Akallabeth