The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Peek-a-boo

~O~

Now here's someone I haven't seen IC in a long time! It's been so long since I've seen this nickname that I feel I haven't spoken to you in years and years!

Welcome and good to see you here!

Yeah... I was told that you guys were still around and kicking, so to speak, when I applied to Calculus for the Masses. None of them knew me. It was very mortifying, so I listed a lot of y'all as references, and they told me that you guys had moved off the UBB.

I cant say that I know you - in fact I've not heard of you before your arrival here...

But these, my friends, seem to know you well and that's good enough for me. Welcome ~O~. I cant wait to see some examples of your work.

:)

Yeah... I was told that you guys were still around and kicking, so to speak, when I applied to Calculus for the Masses. None of them knew me. It was very mortifying, so I listed a lot of y'all as references, and they told me that you guys had moved off the UBB.

Your first post on our boards did have the word "humble" in it, perhaps "humbling" is what realizing we didn't know you was :) Welcome (back?) to the Pen :)

Ah! I most definitely remember you, oh winged one. I am relatively certain that I still have some writing I weasled out of you sitting in a place of reverence on my computer. (I have quite the eclectic collection of Word Documents with others' stories in them from back in the AIM days. :) )

What's just eating away at me, though, is that I can't remember what I always called you. Your Archmage name before the winged globe was ... was... It was a word I'd always kind of liked... started with ... D? G? I can remember your AIM screenname, but when we first met, you used ... a.... different Archmage name...

C'mon, help me out here. :P PM me, if you want to keep your dirty secrets safe! :)

Anyway, it's great to see you're still around and kicking. I hope you like it enough around here to stay and amuse us with your globular ways. ^_^

Yours,

~Yui-chan of Terra Lost

Once and Always a Creation of the Hall of Justice

Holy smoke! THAT takes me back. I haven't used the name Detritus (it means "left-over rubble"; sounds nicer than it is) since my HoJ days. Good to see you again, Yui. Have you seen LordSnoops or DarkDove? I still keep in touch with LadyNight.

~O~

And yes, Starlight, the humble request was very humbling. :)

Edited by ~O~

Oh my, even I remember reading your posts on the old UBB, but I doubt that you know who I am.

Nevertheless, hiya and good to see you here ^_^

PS: that Detritus isn't by chance taken from the works of Terry Pratchett is it? 'Cause if that's the case you're a rather big, thick-headed troll *giggles* don't get me wrong tho, I love all of Terry Pratchett's characters ^_^

I get word-a-day emails, and 'detritus' just so happened to be one of today's.

Word of the Day for Wednesday April 13, 2005

detritus \dih-TRY-tuhs\, noun;

plural detritus:

1. Loose material that is worn away from rocks.

2. Hence, any fragments separated from the body to which they

belonged; any product of disintegration; debris.

The water was smooth and brown, with detritus swirling in

the eddies from the increasing current.

--Gordon Chaplin, [1]Dark Wind: A Survivor's Tale of Love

and Loss

If they [flying cars] were easy to produce, we'd be walking

around wearing helmets to protect us from the detritus of

flying car crashes.

--Gail Collins, "Grounded for 2000," [2]New York Times,

December 7, 1999

The loose detritus of thought, washed down to us through

long ages.

--H. Rogers, Essays

Detritus derives from the past participle of Latin deterere,

"to rub away, to wear out," from de-, "from" + terere, "to

rub." It is related to detriment, at root "a rubbing away, a

wearing away," hence "damage, harm."

Oh, and now I notice that I was beat to the punch for a definition. :( But mine is more comprehensive. :P

Edited by Loki Wyrd

Yes! Detritus. :) Thanks for reminding me.

I know Snoop still hangs out on AIM almost constantly (like he always has), though I haven't really spoken to him much in the past few years. I don't get on there except once every other Harvest Moon on a Leap Year, these days. I haven't heard anything of DarkDove, though. We really never knew each other very well or spoke very much.

So, you've been sucked back into the miasma that is Archmage-Reincarnation? Do you need me to throw you a life preserver? ^_^

Older'n'Dirt,

~Yui

Yui... you changed your name, which threw me for a few moments. I was having trouble placing you... but of course I remember Yenta!

~O~

Appy, yes, actually... I did shamelessly steal the character from T.P. before I developed my own persona. Who can resist being someone who can count as high as "many"?

~O~

Loki, I hadn't actually wondered about the origin of the word detritus before, but from your post, I'd be willing to bet that it's related to "detruire," the French verb "to destroy."

hmm, I vaguely remember you some... but then again, I was just a ghost as far as the UBB's were concerned... were you ever on the pre-ubb?

I hung out mainly on the b2 board there...

revery

the dreamlost

"despite you insight"

the dream continues...

Yup... I was a regular poster on the old boards, too... but it was so long ago that I forgot what name I used to post with. Back in those days, I didn't post much... I just lurked in the chat rooms. For any of you who remember The Legendary Imposter's Apprentice, I became The Legendary Imposter to annoy him. The old chat room allowed one to log on with any name you wanted, including that of someone already in the room. So as soon as he'd log on, I'd log on as him. It was great practice at paying attention to how people wrote. It drove him nuts. :)

~O~

I also knew a hack code that allowed you to post commentary that would be attributed to the room itself, rather than a specific speaker. So I became the Bulletin Board.

~O~

I also played periodic pranks using the above hack that allowed me to state that someone had logged in, even when they hadn't.

~O~

One person who really liked the entire set of pranks in that room was Smiley. At one point, we had a dozen people in there claiming to be Smiley. I was 3 of them, if I remember right. I have no idea who the others were. I'm assuming that at least one was the original.