The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Tsunami

Salinye

There was a 9 point earthquake in the Indian Ocean that sent tidal waves in two directions hitting I think 9 different countries. Some of the countries like Thailand line the coast with resorts, restaurants, stores etc. Very touristy areas and a major holiday for tourists. Some of the poorer countries like Somalia had entire villages wiped off the map.

The death toll is approaching 23,000 and rising and the number homeless is in the millions. The U.N. is not equipped to deal with disaster this wide scale are are simply trying to focus on the countries least likely to help themselves. Red Cross and other humanitarian aids are helping as well as military from different countries. Even Pakistan has sent aid to India and they aren't examples of two countries that get along, so I thought that was good.

Unfortunately the Indian ocean historically has so few tsunamis that they don't have the same sort of warning systems in place that other oceans do. Bouys that if are raised a certain height set off an alarm. I know Australia, Japan and the US have these sorts of systems. If they had had a system like that, the Asia side of the tsunami's would have had up to a 2 hour warning. The other side (Can't remember the name of the island atm) was only 150 miles off of the epicenter, so there probably wasn't too much time considering they say those waves travel up to 500 mph.

I think the thing that was so crazy is that although some places got hit with the dreaded 20 foot high wall of water and what not, some places the tidal wave was only 5 feet high. But that's all it took. It was like the ocean raised five feet and just swept in and didn't stop. It had such force behind it that grown men could not hold on to things because the force was too powerful. Five feet of water, that's all it takes. The power of nature is incredible.

You can read the details on this natural disaster at: http://www.ap.org/

~Salinye :fairy:

Well thankfully most of my Relatives in Thailand live in Bangkok... so they were spared the brunt of it. I heard on CNN that the king's grandson was among one of the many who died... Nature doesn't descriminate... I think the epicenter was in Sumatra...

rev...

Gotcha... thanks for helping me out of my clouds Sal', that is pretty damn horrific.

It's strange that living in Auckland, New Zealand as I do I've never really thought of tsunami as a danger despite being not that far above sea level.

Probably this lack of thought is contributed to by the fact that the island we live on is part of the "Ring of Fire" - a circle of still active volcanos and if they go boom then the tsunami's produced will be the least of our problems. Ring of Fire

But getting back to the point, eep. That's bad bad stuff. I daresay that those in my country who have not been living in ignorance like myself will be sending some support. I hope everyone's families are safe. :blink:

I know that none of us have a lot of money, but now and in the coming months, anything you can donate to the Redcross, even if it is 5$ will help. There are people dying because they can't get clean drinking water to them fast enough. In some areas all drinking water has been contaminated.

So, if anyone has the means to donate even the smallest amount, it all adds up.

This does make one think on the might of nature... and how tiny we humans are compared to all this. On a positive note : it is good to see that humans are still willing to help each other out in between having meetings, wars and petty squabbles over power.

A question : I believe I have heard it mentioned that India refused help? I overheard just a little of that conversation and might've misunderstood (which is what I'm really hoping), but does anyone know more about this?

Me and RedBaron will be spending of course..

I'm wishes for the small wonders and miracles now, since it seems that that's all that's left to hope for...

Scary how the deathcount raises by the hour :(

India had not refused help. It's actually amazing to me that the first to help India was Pakistan. That's almost as amazing as it would be if Palestine stepped up to help Israel sometime. Death toll at 116,000 now. Donations and prayers are appreciated!

Obviously some parts of the world are affected more by this than others, but it's good to see that most places are offering their support.

The other day I noticed a stall selling goods, all proceeds to the Tsunami relief.

On another sadder note, I don't know how many of you all come from places that lost people to this tragic occurance, but I'd like to let at least this small corner of the world know that it has been confirmed that there were some people from New Zealand lost to the tsunami.

Most sad was that two of those lost were a young married couple who'd just arrived on their honeymoon. Apparantly they'd just finished sending a message home that they had arrived safely and were visiting the beach to look at the beautiful view.

:(

(Sad as this is - I find myself wondering at the potential irony of that particular situation)