The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

A Kissing Booth of sorts

Peredhil

Guido muttered unhappily as he carried the bulk of the equipment. For some reason it always ended up this way. Nuncio always maintained that his brother was the smarter and stronger of the two, but if that was true, why was it always Guido who ended up carrying things?

"We'll set up HERE, Guido. Dain was nice enough to clear and level the area."

"Why does we care 'bout level? Da Boss is settin' up a KISSING Booth."

"It's a matter of propriety and decorum. If we're doing something is the Boss' name, we'll do it up right and proper."

"yeah yeah yeah." Guido shrugged off the load and pulled a yellow string. A shimmer of blue and several hundred Pixies appeared and assembled the package before passing through the Portal back to their world. The largest one, a diminuative female wearing a crown and little else, flew up in a buzzing blur of translucent wings and kisses Guido on the nose before darting away. Her laughter hung like crystal chimes in the air after she was gone, before dissolving into the smell of summer meadow.

"Pixies," Guido muttered in deep disgust. He didn't like any of this.

"Cheer up brother-mine. This is only until the Boss or one of his boys shows up." He was carefully hanging a sign up onto it's brackets, and making sure it couldn't fall to hurt anyone. Fixing it in place with a bit of magic, he turned to the sulking Guido. "It's not like anyone is going to want US!" he exclaimed cheerfully, pointing with his thumb to the sign. He read the sign aloud.

For a limited time only, KISSES.
Politely Donate whatever amount you felt it was worth after your kiss.

"Who will want to kiss a Giant Guinea Pig anyway? Our whiskers tickle."

"Canid. Katzaniel. Tanuchan. Most carn'vores..." Guido's voice grumpily trailed off as he moved behind the counter and arranged the curtains to the Privacy Booth, Politely provided for those who wanted shy kisses.

Adjusting his lapels, smoothing the knife-edged crease on his pants, and jauntily adjusting his fedora, Nuncio grinned toothily at Guido.

"Well, I think this will be fun." He paused for moment to eye his brother wryly. "And it IS for only a few days. How much could go wrong?"

Guido pointed to the next Carnival Attraction down the walkway wordlessly. Almost Dragonic brandname was on every torn or ricketty item, and a large puddle of alcohol was evaporating into a shimmering cloud of vapor just *begging* for a match. Nuncio turned pale and staggered back to sit on his stool.

"We're next to WYVERN'S BOOTH???"

Having heard her name, Tanny approaches the newly-set booth. Not noticing her, Guido and Nuncio keep mumbling and arguing between them, until the wolf decides to put them to work.

"Ewwwwwyy!!!!"

Guido jumps at Nuncio's yell, and both turn to find Tanny grinning at them.

'Tanuchan... " they sigh.

::C'mon, it was just a tiny little bite.... but you're certainly appetizing...::

They look at each other, not sure of what her grin means but noticing the hunter's glint in her eyes before she blinks innocently.

"Erm... so, you wanna a kiss...? But... mm... "

Tanny feigns a big yawn, and her perfect, pointy fangs glimmer in the sunlight. She nods at them, still with a toothy grin.

Feeling suddenly uncomfortable, both Guinea Pigs give a small step back, starting to say that the booth isn't really open yet. But all of a sudden, Tanny jumps aiming straight for Nuncio's neck.

The panicky scream startles those waiiting for their free Bruetweiser at Wyvern's booth, and they look confused at seeing a knot of arms and legs, mixed with mischievous laughing, rolling on the floor of the next booth.

Laughing, wiping tears from her eyes, Tanny - who had changed into human form in the middle of her lunge for Nuncio - apologizes to Nuncio and Guido.

"Sorry, guys... it was too tempting not having a bit of fun... " Still giggling, she drops ten geld into the jar, kissing both of then. And sneezing as their whiskers tickle her nose.

"Have fun, dear guys."

Smiling, she shimmers back into wolf form and leaves to explore other booths.

Shy little Carbone gazes at the two Guinea Pigs intently, wondering if she should do anything about it. Meanwhile, Cambronne decided that he should go for these. So standing behind the creatures, the black cat touches one of them. Guido looks down over the intrigued feline.

- Hum... looks like we have a curious observer down there.

Cambronne stares at Guido with his round yellow eyes, wondering about these giant talking fuzzballs. He decides to rub his side on both Guinea Pigs and leaves them, deciding that he'll have more fun playing with Carbone. Meanwhile, Guido and Nuncio blankly stared at the shameless feline.

- Did he just claimed us as "HIS"?

- I think so, Guido.

Guido looked after the cat with an odd expression on his face, which turned into annoyance as his brother began laughing.

As he turned and glared at Nunio, Nuncio just laughed harder.

"Gui...gui...You...should...see...look...face..." Nuncio couldn't even get the sentence out. Guido helpfully pounded him on the back so he could recover his breath. Despite the beating, Nuncio kept having giggles interspersed with his speech.

"Oh no!" snicker "Big bad cat gonna EAT YOU UP!" falls off chair laughing. Holding on to the chair for support, he risked a glance at Guido's outraged face and nearly lost it all again. "And when Tanny tackled us, I thought that you -"

"Shaddup! Youse was droppin' pellets same as me!

Another paroxysm of of laughter seized Nuncio. Finally Guido ruefully joined in.

"Have youse-self a laugh now, 'cause da day still ain't over." He looked at the morass of mud where Minta played happily and idly mused, "Elladan's next. You t'ink dat 'Dan'll get much action?"

Nuncio snorted in reply. " 'Dan?! He's had centuries of practice. He used to TRAIN concubines, didn't he?"

"I dunno, Guido replied thoughtfully, "Da people around here all treats him kinda funny..."

Nuncio lost the rest of his chuckles as he took in Guido's wrinkled brow. All jokes aside, Guido actually WAS the more perceptive of the two. When he ever bothered to think.

One of the dwarf skeletons tried flicking the tap with its finger. No drops--the barrel had run dry. Its clavicles and scapulas slumped as it shook its skull. The other skeleton heaved itself to a sitting position, then fished around in the mud, looking for a few missing digits. Slowly they got to their feet with the aid of the empty barrel. One of them tried to watch Venefyxatu, swaying gently as it tried to keep its balance during the backflip, and latching onto its companion for support. They staggered arm-in-arm across the sea of mud, sinking their foot bones deeply into the muck, weaving around Minta's carefully constructed mud fort, towards the nearest dry land.

"Guido, what are you doing?" Nuncio hissed, watching his brother signal to the pair: stop, come forward, stop and drop!, come forward.

He replied, without taking his eyes off of Minta in the middle of her construction, "I think dis pair got a chance to escape. Look, she's not lookin' up more than once a minute." Guido shaded his eyes although the fedora made it redundant, then signaled again.

"Even if they do, you still haven't got a chance of winning the bet." Nuncio sounded the least bit smug about that.

"Shhhhhhhhhh."

Both skeletons slowed to an unstable halt in front of the booth. One leaned dangerously far forward and almost bumped into the sign, then it stumbled back. . .looked up at the Giant Guinea Pigs. . .and at the sign again. It elbowed its companion in the ribs and got its elbow joint stuck. The pair creaked ominously, but was making more noise than bone grinding on bone. They were laughing, deep hollow emotionless laughs, until one of them managed to guffaw, "Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisses!" The rib-entangled one bent double in mirth, popping free, while the other. . .female? . . .dwarf skeleton rounded the booth, eyesockets latched firmly on Guido. Nuncio, who was already weak from laughter, was set off again, and chortled until a surprisingly strong grip on his suit brought him up short. Dwarf short.

The kisses were long, and surprising from beings without soft flesh, although very cold. Still laughing that dead laugh, the girls released the guinea pigs and stepped back to admire their shaken conquests.

"Gooooooooooooooold. . ." one moaned.

The other pointed at Minta. "Herrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr."

Arm in arm, they staggered off to enjoy freedom and the rest of the carnival.

Edited by Quincunx

While Nuncio sat stunned, Guido repeatedly wiped his lips.

"I told youse bums dat dis wassa Bad Idea, but Noooo. Da Boss and da boys and da knuckle-head known as my brudder just had to have a kissin' boot'.

Guido... I'm afraid. Guido immediately stood and helped his brother up.

"Nunce? W'as 'rong? Nunce? Youse okay," he asked anxiously.

"Guido... Guido... I actually liked that toward the end."

Guido dropped Nuncio in disgust. Nuncio began laughing, and reached over and seized something from behind his statuette.

"Hey Guid'..." As Guido turned back around to yell at Nuncio for having "got" him, Nuncio pegged him in the puss with his stored snowball. By the time Guido cleared his eyes, Nuncio had disappeared around the corner.

It was a fuming Guido who realized he was trapped. Da Boss had said to man the booth. That meant both couldn't be gone at once.

He hoped Elladan arrived soon.

With a frown, he began plotting his turn in the brother's eternal war to "get" one another.

Elldan stepped quietly through a Portal into the rear of the booth, and immediately performed a mental perimeter check. With no immediate threats found, he set a few passive Wards against dangers and accidents of various sorts and moved out behind Guido, who was glowering at the crowds.

Not seeing Nuncio, he began smiling, sensing a score in their long rivalry.

Glancing over at the next booth, he hastily set more protections against mischance; what had possessed Nuncio and Guido to set up next to WYVERN?!

A minor augery determined they hadn't been possessed, it was Dain's doing.

Stepping up beside Guido, 'Dan softly said,

You can go find your brother now.

Guido convulsively screamed and had a gun drawn by the time his shoes hit the ground again. Sliding the gun back into his sleeve, Guido glared at the smaller smiling Elf.

Would youse make more NOISE when youse sneaks up on a body?!

Elladan just smiled and looked out at the crowd. Still grumbling, Guido strode away in the opposite direction of the mana Golem, intent on finding Nuncio.

After exploring the booth for a bit, noting the curtained alcove for the shy, he explored under the counter.

Nuncio had forgotten his statuette in his haste to leave. Elladan touched and realized it wasn't magically made and was suddenly impressed.

He located the small latrine which Father always placed in his shops and booths.

He watched the people going by.

He watched Wyvern's booth for a few minutes, smiling at how the most insane things seemed to happen in the most logical ways.

He mused on the Armies he'd recruit when he returned to Peredhil's lands in the world of Reincarnation.

He spent a while sharpening various small objects. When he found himself honing a paperclip to the point it shaved the back of his hand, he realized he had a problem.

He wasn't getting any business.

He was rather bored.

Looking out at the crowd, he looked for someone he could trust not to over react.

~~~

Seeing Wren walking along, bright eyes filled with laughter, black hair streaming and bouncing with gleaming life, he narrowed his eyes thoughtfully. Soft lips begging to be tasted, gentle curves making small circular gravity defying journeys of their own, graceful hands.

Yes, she'd do nicely.

~~~

As she came up to the booth, he saw the flash of disappointment that it wasn't his father waiting to bestow kisses. That was fine, she was here.

Stepping around the counter, he took her hand and kissed the palm, then the inside of her wrist, sensing the living pulse under his lips and vibrating a slight counterpoint with his breath.

She stopped in surprise as planned. He let his lips gently brush the suddenly raised hairs topping the goosebumps running up her arm, then tilted his face to look up at her, fire glowing deeply in his eyes.

"May I please kiss you," he purred. Not waiting for an answer he drew her into his arms and began a kiss. Gently, then as her lips softened, a bit more insistent. Her hands waved for a moment, as if unsure whether to push him away in outrage at his bold assumption, but after a long moment she found herself winding them in his silky hair on the back of his head.

Her eyes were closed, he noted, soft eyelashes fluttering slightly against the creamy skin. His eyes widened a little as he felt the almost electrical current that swept back and forth between them, and which crackled away in green streamers to ground against the wood of the booth.

He'd forgotten she was magical. Interested now, he let his senses merge with hers and truly kissed her. Their bodies began to glow as his arms crushed against his lean muscled length. Elves were often deceptive in their power.

When they finally broke for air, they were both speechless for a moment. His eyes twinkled merrily, while hers had parted only enough to show a smoky fire burning.

He started to say someone, what he couldn't recall later, for she answered his question.

~~~~ Wren's Response

Elladan's unexpected forwardness was startling but not so much as the reaction her magic had to his kiss. She looked at him for only a second at the end of his knee melting, ground shaking kiss and decided to try it again purple eyes gone smoky and magic still spilling from her she leant forward and kissed back,her fingers still wound tightly in his hair. For those who could see the magic changed colours to match her eyes and those who couldn't and were close enough felt like they too had been well kissed.

This Kiss didn't last as long but was just as sweet. Wren released Elladan slowly then pulled the errant magic back and they both floated back down neither realizing that their feet had left the ground. With a smile and a giggle Wren emptied her purse into to the box.

"Don't stay in the booth too long. You will bankrupt me."

The small little kender wanders his way through the festive carnival one booth at a time. After passing Wyvies Tent, for even kenders know the truth about Almost Dragonic items and spells, Tasslehoff happens to knowtice a small booth.

" A kissing booth " shouts the kender over-joyed. Rushing his way to the front of the line, o' so politly bumping people out of line. Upon reaching a the front and his topknot settling back down, he happens to knowtice but 2 people, embraced in what appears to be a magical kiss.

" Well I'll be. I sure wouldnt want one of those! " mutters Tasslehoff in utter disggust. And with that said, he wanders off once again, pockets full to the brim, and nothing but a smile all the way.

Ayshela stood back at the wall of the Courtyard, leaning lightly against the wall while whittling a small fallen branch from the Oak Tree. Her gaze moved constantly about the various activities and the people moving about the Courtyard and to and from the guild halls. So far, all seemed to be well. Even Wyvern hadn't caused too much commotion! Ayshela smiled briefly at that, then realizing that in her watchfulness over the Festival she had turned a branch into a hair stick, she muttered something it was probably better no one else heard and sheathed her knife. Twisting her hair into a loose knot, she secured it with the newly created hair stick, and set out to wander among the events.

Her eyebrows nearly shot into her hairline, on reaching Peredhil's Kissing Booth. 'Dan? Really... How splendid! She stepped up to the booth and waited while he finished sharpening another paperclip and put it away. He looked up wordlessly, realizing that she knew he had been aware of her presence. They looked silently at each other for a moment, then Ayshela looked about her again, mumbled and gestured almost imperceptibly, and set out a sentinal ring to alert her of anything moving *anywhere* close.

Now that she had time to be almost distracted for a few moments, Ayshela smiled at 'Dan and dropped 20 geld into the container. "Worth every geld just to have a chance to talk to you for a few minutes." She noticed his eyes narrow slightly, evaluating the comment and what she might want. She smiled a little wider, nodded slightly, and set out to explain.

"I have never tried to find opportunity to talk to you - oddly, BECAUSE of the reason I wanted to. I know you know when someone's around, where they are, what they're doing - and likely as not, what they want. Better even than I do, which I find both astonishing and gratifying. I wouldn't have come unannounced, not for anything, and I could never quite figure out how to say I just wanted to talk to you for a minute, because I wanted to say 'Thank you' for something most people don't even understand.

"But you DO understand. That *knowing* when someone is there, when everyone else is blithely, blindly, going on their way. Hearing everything, even when asleep. Reacting quickly, because you HAVE to - slowly is too late, and too late is dead, or worse. Knowing there IS worse than dead. A healthy appreciation of weaponry, and a care for their care.

"There's so much that people don't get - even around here. They just don't seem to see it. I've HAD to let guard down just a little around here, because if I didn't I'd probably have killed a fair number within a week of being here, the way they casually wander up on each other, grab hold of each other.. I mean, I'm as huggable as the next person, but just wandering up and grabbing hold of someone because you want to talk to them? I'd have slit half a dozen throats the first day i was here, if i weren't careful... well, slit throats, if i'd been in a good mood."

Ayshela was concentrating on trying to find words for her thoughts and completely missed the flash of appreciative amusement at that afterthought. By the time she'd looked up again, 'Dan had smoothed his features again.

"How do they just *trust* each other so easily? Anyone close enough can bite you, and you let someone bite you - you deserve what you get. But they do... *people* do... and they don't seem to see the risk. But you do see it. You do understand, risk and danger in all forms and the need to guard against it. I'd begun to think, since I was the only one who DID see that, that my adherence to defense was futile stubbornness. That maybe I really was just stubbornly insane. Or insanely stubborn. Either way."

That time, Ayshela caught the glint of amusement. She smiled back, and continued on.

"I guess I really had two reasons for wanting to thank you. Firstly for all that your care and protection does to keep your dad safe. If I were ever to take leave of my senses enough to trust anyone, he's one of two I would consider. But, purely selfishly, I wanted to thank you just for being here and being *you*. Because you are who you are, I don't feel so insanely strange and alone any more, and for as long as i've been a wordsmith there aren't words to tell you what that means.

"So, thank you."

And with that, Ayshela reached up and wrapped her arms around 'Dan's neck, hugging him tightly. She leaned back, after a moment, and kissed him softly. Then, letting go and dropping down off her tip-toes, she winked and turned to assess the Festival again.

With a smile of familiarity at hearing so many of his thoughts reflected back to him, abet from a different slant, Elladan considered the woman before him.

Moving carefully, scuffing his feet just the smallest bit, He slipped up behind her, and very gently slipped his arms around her. Moving carefully, never with a surprise, he carefully smoothed her hair up and over a shoulder, baring the nape of her neck and one ear. Letting a casual trail of kisses ignite fire from the point where the hair just turns into flesh, along the hairline to the ear, he mouthed the words more than uttering them

"I think Dad would think you should get more for a Twenty Geld donation."

Turning her gently, he led her to the booth, he didn't bother drawing the curtain. Instead with a wave of his hand, a writhing shimmering veil of ropey power provided privacy - and when he handed her the Key with a wry twist of his lips, the warmth and power of it sent tiny shocks up her arm, raising the echoes of his kisses a moment before.

Tilting her face up toward hers, He gazed down at her with fathomlessly deep eyes. Like Peredhil's, like the Dreamer's, his eyes were pools of color without whites. 'Dan's were full of many emotions and none.

Moving in agonizingly slow motion, his hand slid down her body and drew a knife from its sheath. His eyes were enormous, locked on hers, as he slid the blade's edge across her face, the razor's edge so close she felt its chill, knew its honed edge for it was hers. Her breathing quickened, she was suddenly aware of the way the air moved in and out, the feel of her clothes touching her skin, the pulse of blood in her throat, under the razor's edge.

This was Elladan, who understood. This was Peredhil's son. But being who she was, knowing what he was, there was a frission of fear mixed with an awareness of the fragility of life, the feeling of being a tiny bird held cupped in a powerful hand.

Leaning over the knife, the cold steel separating their throats, his lips brushed hers lightly, simultaneously as she felt the touch of steel against her neck. A spasm of feeling, too complex to be broken into all its myriad components, shook her from head to curling toes. She felt a heated liquid which rapidly cooled send three drops sliding down her throat.

With a movement too fast for a human to follow, he sheathed her blade.

She stood, still frozen, as he lifted the key from her limp grasp and Opened the veil. As he turned with a raised eyebrow, wordlessly asking if she'd received her money's worth she saw it.

There was a small nick on his neck. Before he'd pressed the blade, he'd reversed the steel so that the only cut was his.

Elrohir made his way through the Carnival, intent on reaching the Booth. Rounding the Ice Maze and cutting in front of the Concert area, he saw Peredhil's booth up ahead.

He was late in replacing Elladan. He hoped beyond hope that his twin wasn't upset. Elladan wanted to go lead the Reincarnation armies into the war against Trible, and Elrohir had made him late. It was a Bad Thing when Dad lead the armies, because he didn't. He just defended unless there was a poorly written or Rude Arrow.

Panting up to the booth, he slid to a halt on the oddly muddy ground. Putting his bundle on top, he leapt lightly over the counter and scouted out the area, then turned to Elladan, who'd ignored him in favor of watching the milling crowds.

"Hey 'Dan, thanks for holding down the booth. Sorry I'm late." No response. How could he encourage 'Dan to... "Dad's holding down the forts, but no body is fighting back against the Tribe. Probably all sort of people who need to be Counter-attacked." That should do it.

'Dan turned with a lazy satisfied smile. Elrohir froze at the cut on Elladan's neck. How had someone cut 'Dan?! That smug smile. He started surreptitiously looking for a corpse.

"You know brother, I think your timing is perfect. The next customer would've been interesting, but I think she'll be more along your lines, Romeo."

Elrohir blushed hotly and began a retort, but 'Dan ripped a raw Portal and stepped through, leaving Elrohir to Close it. By the time he was done, she was on the booth.

~~~

Signe swayed somewhat more than usual. It could've been the stilleto-heeled high leather boots, but it wasn't.

She giggled as a lady-like burp erupted, forming a minature Golem-shaped bubble of Bruteweiser-colored gas and went drifting away. Stopping suddenly, she gulped air, and belched three more, then threw her head back and laughed. The laughter drew attention, and the interesting hydrostatic ripple effects the jerky breathing of laughter launched through her frame kept the attention. A figure like hers was almost a parody of the ideal of feminine, and only a demonette or magic could've helped it to resist gravity. Teetering on her heels, she leaned forward and progressed down the way.

Drinking that Booze Golem had made her just a leetle bit tipsy, she concluded.

This place was almost as much fun as Steel Dragon's Dungeon at the Angel of Apocolyses, where she'd met and broken most of her Toys accompanying her.

Sighting Peredhil's Kissing Booth ahead, she smiled languidly and began navigating toward it, tacking back and forth as against a rising wind. There was an Elf in the booth, not one of those boring animals. It wasn't Elrond, he glowed.

It was the dark one. Ooooh. Lovely!

By the time she got there, Elladan had left and Elrohir was standing with his back to her. It was obvious now which was which - she'd overheard them.

She made a gesture and had a Toy put some geld in the cup. Typical Peredhil. It was unguarded and large enough someone would have no problem taking geld if they truly needed it. Can't steal from an honest man, he gives it to you with a smile.

At the jingle of the coins, Elrohir whirled around wide-eyed.

She caught and held his eyes with her own, looking deeply at the part she could always reach, and a shiver of anticipation shook her frame.

Gods, he was a virgin to the darker sides of lust! She felt her fangs stiffen in anticipation and her wings begin to raise. A hot warmth churned in her abdomen, rising to to mix with the heat of the Golem she'd just consumed, and made her flush and her eyes gleam.

Elrohir was standing frozen by her gaze, and she licked her lips lightly in anticipation as she strutted forward, wings rising up and up and forward to draw him into her embrace, feeling the lean taunt muscles of his frame, smelling the masculine scent of his skin. Raising her face she drew him down into a kiss, a soul kiss, the kiss of a Succubus.

She was drunk enough it took her a moment to register the sizzling sound, and a moment more to realize the fire in her lips wasn't passion. Jerking back, wild-eyed, she stared at him in fear, raising the back of one hand to cover her blistering mouth. White blisters raising against crimson lips.

She was suddenly very very sober.

She flinched as Elrohir gently drew her hand aside, and recoiled as he traced her lips with a finger, drawing cool relief like lipstick.

Leaning forward, he whispered, "I'm sorry. You took me by surprise."

Tilting her head up to look at him in an entirely different light, she uttered one word.

"Why?"

"I've lived with Valar, and Angels, and been the Paladin of a hundred Dieties. It's left its mark on me. If you hadn't surprised me, I could've suppressed my reaction. Again, I'm sorry. Don't tell Dad that I hurt you, please? It's Rude to hurt a lady."

Her eyes came back to life and her throaty purring chuckle raised bumps on her Boy Toys.

"Honey-Chile. I'm no lady"

Leaning forward, he kissed her gently on the brow.

"You'll always be a Lady to me."

As she strutted away, she couldn't escape the memory of his cool lips on her forehead, like a disturbing brand of love she didn't understand. He'd resisted her, shamed her, shown her Demonic powers to be weak.

Why had she thrown twenty more geld into the cup?

Annael slowly wanders the ground, browsing here and there, giggling at this and that and stopping to watch Wyvie as he tries to get some tricks. Shaking her head slowly, Annael starts to turn away, pulling her cloak closer around her when she notices the Kissing Booth. Raising an eyebrow, she watches as Signe walks away with an odd look on her face. Looking at Elrohir manning the booth, Annael smiles a little and starts to walk towards the elf.

Elrohir stopped looking out at the crowd when he noticed a figure walking towards him from the corner of his eye. Turning to watch the woman walking towards him, he blinked when he took in the bare feet, the long dark cloak, curly black hair with one blue butterfly sitting in a curl by her ear, and the tilted halo.

"Annael I assume?"

Raising her head from watching her path through the mud, she nodded to Elrohir and dropped a few geld in the cup. Smiley softly to the elf, she nodded her head again, turned and walked away.

Elrohir raised an eyebrow, and then let it join the other. A paying customer going away unkissed! That would be Rude!

Putting down the piece of yew he'd been shaping, he leapt lightly over the counter and lithely dodged through the crowd until he'd caught up to the wandering Angel.

'M'Lady... you forgot your kiss!"

Looking into her eyes for a sign of negation or assent, his heart was melted by the whirl of loves unreturned, gestures unappreciated, pains of a tender heart, the need for love but the misapprehension it must be deserved, all the burden of a loving angel in a mortal world.

He couldn't help himself, he hugged her tightly, protectively, letting his love for her valiant spirit flow through his strong arms to be a balm to her wounds, letting the brightness of his spirit light the dark places in her and show her they they were accepted.

After a timeless moment, the noises from the Carnival impinged on his (non-pointy!) ears and he reluctantly released her.

"uh, sorry about grabbing you without permission like that," he apologized clumsily.

He couldn't read the expression in her teary eyes; he hoped he hadn't hurt her mauling her with a strong hug like that.

Blushing furiously, he kissed her tenderly, and fled for the safety of the Booth.

In the back of the booth, where the glint of newly-fallen snow and the reflected shine of daylight were dimmed by a layer of warming canvas, Yui waited quietly, watching a rather-charmingly flushed Elrohir make his way back to cover. In the brilliance of winter, she could easily see that his features were his own, again, but her thoughts were more involved with the person who'd faded through for a moment with Annael, the not-quite-stranger with the round ears and more mature face. The Honesty in Peredhil and his kin often resulted in such little slips, and as often as not, the shadow Elder noted them quietly from some 'safe' location. That other self was fascinating... and strangely threatening; she could never quite get rid of the fear that the light of so much Truth might be bright enough to burn.

Yui shook her head slightly, chasing away such silly thoughts to return herself to the present. Elrohir had stepped into the confines of the booth, and with the dimming of the outside cacaphony, he was instantly aware of her presence. She sat, unhidden, on a small table against the wall of the tent, her cloaked presence a stain of midnight in the grey, filtered light under the canopy. With her legs dangling over the edge and her booted toes peeking and retreating beneath her long skirts as she kicked her feet restlessly, she looked almost like a playful child patiently awaiting the return of a parent.

Elrohir smiled his heartfelt smile and bowed, intoning, "May I offer you a kiss, m' Lady?"

"I'm afraid not," Yui answered, smiling to watch his brows ascend. Of course, it wasn't the response he expected from a visitor to his kissing booth, and she apologized softly, adding, "My kisses are reserved for one man in particular, and if ... when he returns, I intend to have hoarded them all away for him."

She hid the slight death of her smile beneath the effort of hopping down from her perch and plunking a handful of geld coins into the bowl. When it was done and she turned back to Elrohir, there was only teasing warmth left in her expression. "Besides, if your kisses are as powerful as your brother's, I would be afraid to risk my heart to them. Poor Wrenwind looked quite ready to chain herself to his arm after Elladan was done with her."

The young elf laughed, his grin knowing. "He has been known to do that."

"And you?" she challenged, raising one curved brow.

"Hmm... I am not quite the same as my brother," came the answer, and it earned him a moment of her soft laughter.

"I think perhaps you understate your case, Elrohir Peredhil." Her smile blossomed warm and amused, filled to the brim with acceptance. After a moment, she bowed her head politely, drawing a close to the moment. "Thank you for your time. I should let you get back to your kissing. I hope you enjoy the rest of the Carnival."

Elrohir looked after here wonderingly. With the outrageous antic of the Bodyguards, the brooding charismatic power of Elladan, and (of course) The Peredhil, Elrond as a father, he normally, happily, overlooked.

It was puzzling in the extreme. He'd never really sought his own glory. For one thing, he just did what needed to be done anyway, where's the glory? For the other thing, it always seemed to mean so much more to others. Magi, Bards, Dieties, they all wanted credit recognition glory. He preferred slipping back into the audience so he could help cheer.

It wasn't that he ran from attention. Running attracted the eye. A quiet smile and easy walk away from the limelight, that was the ticket.

But Yui-chan stayed in the shadows too. And she hadn't wanted a kiss or anything, just to say her say and fade away.

It was a very confused Elf who picked up the piece of yew and went back to shaping it into a bow.

~~~

(OoC Parenthetical Note. Unlike the Movies rendering, or Everquest, the Tolkein Elves from whom I ... well, let's be honest, from whom I stole Elrond and the twins, anyway, the Tolkein version didn't have pointed ears. This made them rather unusual in the Fantasy genre of the time. For that matter, most fantasy Elves in the '50s were tiny magical little critters.

Anyway, Elrond, Elladan, and Elrohir (in my mind) are round-ears.)

Alaeha had noticed the small booth earlier, but had been wary at first -- guinea pig kisses (even giant guinea pigs) were known for tickling, and one would have to be quite mad not to be wary of Elladan -- but Elrohir... while not harmless... was comparatively safe.

She tossed a single geld from her small pouch into the bowl as she approached, smiling as she saw Elrohir look up at the clink, and dropped four more in as she passed the bowl.

She sat down next to him, planting a small kiss on his cheek with a mischievous gleam in her eye. She winked at his confused look and reached into the folds of her cloak, withdrawing a sapphire pendant she was certain he would recognize.

"So, I never got a chance to ask... just how often do you go about meddling in the affairs of Burnt Gods and Tyrants?"

blushing furiously his hands smoothed the satiny wood in his hands self-consciously. He mumbled something even he knew was incoherent, and the realization he was being Rude helped him regroup.

He was so CERTAIN that his being in the booth would just be a courtesy thing to let people know it hadn't closed yet! He never thought someone would even talk to him, and kissing hadn't even crossed his mind.

Still blushing, he answered.

"Uh, mrph blorple gumple." Realizing he was babbling an a tongue from a Plane which didn't even EXIST any more (although it was the last one in which he'd sorta kinda had a girl friend. A friend who was a girl. A fellow warrior who was a lady. Oh heckfire, as she'd put it, a chick in chainmail. Anyway Alaeha was patiently waiting on him, although that gleam might be laughter in her eye, she was nice enough not to laugh out loud at him and he took a deep breath.

And blushed again as his voice squeeked before settling back into his normal baritone. What WAS it with his voice and woman! Augh!

"Um. Well, not so much since we settled here at the Pen. Every one in a while I'll get a request from some old friend who doesn't know I'm out of the Mercenary business, or some Diety who doesn't have fighters as part of their Thing. Uh, Thing is what I call it, but not what they usually call it. Anyway. Not much. I just, um, wanted to show you a good time."

NOOOOO! I didn't just say that! That's what Elladan says when he -

He blushed furiously all over again.

"Uh, with it so hot here, isn't the snow nice?" He was suddenly grateful that the Snow Maze had produced enough cold that snow was covering the grounds in a glistening blanket.

Suddenly his embarassment was gone and he was on alert. There was a subtle spell here. There wasn't any slush, there wasn't any snow or ice on the paths where people walked, and the snow replenished after people played in it. Plus no one was getting uncomfortably cold. Borrowing a trick from his Dad, he let the Pen Keep's essence flow through him unresisted for a moment - and found no dangers. It was just a byproduct of a foundational spell woven into the fabric of the stones. The Pennites were enjoying each other, and so they their joy was manifesting as magical environment. Almost magical. More natural. Well, it was affecting reality.

He suddenly wondered how long he'd been standing silent ignoring the patient Alaeha and mentally smacked himself again.

"So. Really not much. Really. But it was fun. Uh, I think I need to clean up my wood shavings before Dad gets here. He's overdue. Shavings. Uh. I'm making a bow I think. I dunno, that sounds funny. I've been working this wood for a while. I had it seasoning for about a century, and have been shaping it for about another hundred years off and on. It looks like what's emerging is a bow. You think?" He chanced a look at her face and thought miserably that there was never an evil overlord around to fight when they were needed. The women of the Keep now finally knew he was a social loser. He sighed within and smiled at her. "Umm, gotta pick up this mess you know! Thanks for the donation and the chat." Augh. She hadn't had a chance to say a word! WHY did he babble. Elladan got ALL the smooth.

He quickly straightened the booth and stood up just in time to see his Dad approaching, a healthy color in his cheeks, carrying his old ice skates.

Peredhil ambled toward his Kissing Booth, happy to see that Elrohir seemed to be enjoying himself. He was afraid his shy son would have been bored - he always seemed to communicate better with a weapon and a Cause.

Sliding behind the counter, he gave Elrohir a hug.

"Thanks! You don't have to go help Elladan. I've given him full control of my Reincarnation Armies. Someone drove the Mr. Bunny to kill himself."

Elrohir flinched. Elladan given complete free rein with Elrond's blessings?! It was a Plane based on war, but still!

"I'll make sure I avoid it then. You did tell him not to kill any allies, right?"

Peredhil frowned for a moment, then cleared. "No, but I'm sure he knows not to do that. We went over the Decalouge together." He made a dismissing gesture.

"Well, since I'm only going to be here until Christmas is over, I should take my place and see if anyone has pity on an Old Elf."

His son looked at his father and started laughing as he thought of HIS "boring bench-warming" stint.

"I'm sure that you'll find something to keep yourself amused."

His Dad was still staring after him as he walked away laughing.

OoC: I was just gonna have Peredhil in the booth on Christmas day, but I've been informed much to my surprise that someone actually might want to kiss him, so under duress I'm gonna keep him in there until January 1st. Umm. You don't have to kiss him if you don't want to do so, you know.l

Ayshela wandered by the Kissing Booth again, in the course of her patrol of the Festival. Seeing the change of occupants, her eyes lit up and a broad smile spread across her face. With a decided change in course she made her way directly to the booth and dropped 20 geld into the container.

"Merry Christmas! I'm glad to see that i didn't miss *your* shift in the booth, here! I've never really gotten a chance to thank you properly for all you've done for so many of us, and if i began to explain now no one else would have a chance because we'd be here still next week. So perhaps, in the interests of giving the rest of the ladies a fair chance, i'd best leave it at this...

Ayshela wrapped her arms around Peredhil's neck and hugged him tightly, whispering "Thank you, for everything." in his ear. She kissed him solidly on both cheeks and hugged him again before dropping off tiptoes and turning away with a quick wink.

Peredhil stood blinking in surprise with his hands to his cheeks.

He really didn't think anyone would want to kiss him. He really didn't do too much that anyone else didn't do around the Pen, he was just more noticeable about it because he talked so much.

In fact, he was kind of grateful that they put up with him constantly giving advice and talking their ears off.

Really, he felt like everyone's Uncle, the odd one who was tolerated with amusement.

He stood blinking in surprise and wonder and began seriously thinking about keeping some of his Geld to bid at the Bachelorette auction, instead of giving it all to his Bodyguards and Sons.

Hearing the chirp of a songbird perched apon Wyvrn's booth Wren turned around and headed back towards the kissing booth. She poked her head in and smiled softly at the occupant. Hello! I think you owe me a few hugs *giggle* Wren steps closer and wraps her arms around Peredhil then stretching up on to her tiptoes kisses him in the middle of his forhead and hugs him really tightly.

Your son takes after his father in some things. With a wink and a toss of a few gold coins Wren slips back out into the milling crowds singing a little thank you to her songbird friend.

Peredhil blinked again.

He'd really thought that he'd end up paying the Ladies for kisses, not the other way around.

"Thank you!" He called after Wren, when he recovered his wits. He'd always thought that Elladan took after him in somethings, but he'd never thought of himself as a great kisser like Dan'.

Or maybe she meant Elrohir, but he was a ranger(, although not a Dunadan). His bride was his bow, his love was chivalry.

Actually, Elrond often wished he were a bit more like his sons.

Seeing Wren slip through the crowd near the Kissing booth, Zariah remembered that it was finally Peredhil's turn to be the kisser. She checked her pockets and realized that she left her coins at home. She reached up and took one of the three crow feathers from her hair, and approached him.

"Er...hi...um, well see, sir-I saw Wren give you some money and I don't have any so..." she gave Peredhil a quick light peck on the cheek, and placed her feather into his hand. As he focused his eyes the gift, she quickly escaped and was gone before he looked up.

Edited by Zariah

Tzimfemme slipped away from the Bachelorette Auction, still musing on the problem of the ring ("Don't wear artifacts controlled by your wife" had gone into the last carnival's Tips jar, and rightly so) and whether it was more devaluation to have to pay for a date, or accepting gold for it. With moral quibbles occupying her mind, she wandered up and down the byways of the carnival, past the kissing booth, through a small blizzard of snowballs, past the kissing booth again, into one of her own portals and out again with a shotglass of Rosemary's blood in hand, and past the kissing booth yet again, sipping absently. Everyone around her started to glow, faint pale lights at first, but growing brighter and more colorful by the second. Tzimfemme whimpered and dropped the glass, shielding her eyes with her hands, as her dormant vampiric senstivity awoke again, overlaid with Rosemary's perceptions. The whole world was auras and fires! She twisted from side to side and finally found a colder spot, a refuge. Head down and hands still shielding her eyes, Tzimfemme stumbled towards Peredhil in the booth, breathing "help, help". . .