The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Missing...

Annael

check out the OOC!

Check out the R.L./Party Size/Timing coordination thread!

A group of butterflies fly into the room, each moving so quickly that they keep bumping into eachother. Pennites can't help but notice the crazy butterflies and started to wonder about their antics. A small band of butterflies seperated from the rest, and it was then that it was visible that a piece of paper was held in their tiny feet. Flying over to Gyrfalcon, they dropped the paper at his feet and found places of their own to rest: on members of the pen. Brushing a butterfly from his nose, Gry bent down and picked up the paper. It read:

I have take your angel hostage. Don't worry, I won't hurt her. I might tarnish her halo more then it already is, and her wings, well, I'll just pluck some feathers from it. Who knows, after her time with me, she might be better off. Odds are she won't be, but it's a gamble that I'm willing to take. You can try and find her if you like. Actually, I encourage you to do so. Good luck. Let the game begin.

Life.

After reading the note, Gyr looked around the room. Butterflies were everywhere. A bright pink one was sitting on Wyv's nose.

"What are we supposed to do with these critters in the mean time??" Wyv asked, then cried out as the little pink one decided to take offense to the name critter and bit his snout.

"Well, I guess we'll just have to keep them safe for Annael until she returns," Saliyne said and giggled as she acquired a new pair of butterfly earrings.

Mr. Bunny looked in disgust at his stick, which was rainbow coloured now. "How 'bout we go and look for her so that she can take them back, like now?" A few mummers of agreement travelled throughout the room, then died down as Peredhil stood up from his place by the fire, a toupee of butterflies gracing his head.

"I suggest we look for Annael. Who's with me?"

And let the story begin. The names mentioned in this opening are not obligated to participate in the story. It's just a beginning. Who knows if this will even fly, but I decided to give it a try. Feel free to write. This might be very entertaining :D

:butterfly:

Peredhil looked around at the hands and sadly noted that Life was making serious inroads into the Pen Membership. Many had signs of the malady that no Ring of Healing could assuage.

If he could've looked in a mirror at that point, he would've (under the butterflies) seen symptoms on his own visage as well.

Sending Elrohir (for Elladan was in The Reincarnation running armies) to his chambers, Peredhil had El' place a chest on the table.

Given all the time restraints placed on us, I propose we use these.

Blowing dust off the cover of the coffer, he unlocked and opened it. Small shimmering Rings glimmered in black felt. Curious butterflies descended to investigate and suddenly there were a winged rainbow of rings.

Each of these is an unkeyed Ring. Now that the Butterflies have so nicely Keyed themselves, I propose we each take a Ring with its butterfly. What this will do is provide teleportation from whereever a person is, to the largest cluster of rings, and back to the individual's starting point. They wax and wane and have odd side effects, not fully researched. This was the Beta set.

But this will allow us to participate in the Hunt for Annael as we can afford the time to do so, popping in and out as we have time.

Taking a ring, he put it on. The sapphire blue butterfly batted its wings nerviously, but hung on like grim death. It was willing to make sacrifices for its mistress.

Stick stood up, and rested the BPS on his shoulders, causing the butterflies surrounding it to flicker and re-adjust their positions in minor annoyance.

"I've been itching for an adventure! Although, I'm not sure if there'll be anything to smash along the way... I'll just have to go out of my way to start some trouble, I guess." the lanky warrior grinned one of his usual mischievious grins, which caused nearly everyone to roll their eyes. "Peredhil, do you have a green ring in that oh-so-lovely box? If I may be so rude to ask, of course."

Tanny looks curiously at the set of rings, and then at the people clustered around it.

"Well... I'd like to be of help, also... I don't know Annael very well, but she seems a very nice person. Eeh... I mean, angel."

She picks one of the rings, eyeing it then looking at Peredhil. "Wax, wane, and side effects? Beta set? Peredhil, I hope you aren't going to follow that lizard's path..."

Peredhil starts to say something when he notices the amused gleam in Tanny's grey eyes, then grins back at her. "Don't worry," it's the only thing he says.

She winks at him, also putting the ring on.

Salinye stood behind the group who were now crowding around the rings that Peredhil spoke of. Although she stayed to the back so that the others could have their pick, her eyes gleamed with a sparkle that was familiar to those who knew her best. Gyrfalcon allowed the seriousness that creased his forehead to lapse for a moment as he caught sight of her and smiled over his shoulder. “You do realize you won’t be allowed to study these, right?”

She grinned and blushed slightly to have her thoughts verbalized. “Well, at least not until AFTER we find Annael.” She placed her hand out before her and waited as the ranger inspected the rings before him momentarily before delicately placing a lavender ring in her palm accompanied by a butterfly of similar hues. Being a creature of magic (with a not-so-mild obsession with magical items) she could immediately feel a connection with the power of the ring. The connection was comforting. She slipped the ring on with the same peace that someone might feel when putting on a pair of heated wool socks on a cold winter night. Her comfort was worn short, however, as images of Annael crept into her mind followed by images of her own kidnapping years before. Setting her jaw with determination she looked to Peredhil who seemed to have taken charge of the situation. “What now, Good Peredhil? You have this mage in any way I’m needed.”

Knight looked on, behind and to the left slightly, of Peredhil. He raised an eyebrow. "Well, if you think you all are going on some crazy quest to rescue someone-don't think you'll be heading out, without me. It's been too long."

He rested his hand on the sword at his belt, and snorted.

"Count me in, Big Peredhil. One of those rings will do right nicely..."

After slipping on his ring, Stick pats Knight on the shoulder a few times.

"Good to have you aboard! Good thing there'll be some one along to share in my violent tendancies with." he then went to lean casually on Knight like friends tend ot do, "You're right, it *has* been too long." Stick paused again, looked around. "This is looking like a good rescue party already. I can hardly wait!"

A strong, unpleasant smell makes it's way through the room, making some gag and others grimace, especially those familiar with the source of the smell.

Tanny: "Itchy, you aren't thinking of joining this rescue party...are you? I didn't know that you knew Annael that well."

Gnarlitch: "Well, um, er...actually I've never even met her. But, well, since I retired from my adventuring group things have been a might boring, other than a couple of brief but overly exciting occasions."

Peredhil: "Well, just don't cause any trouble, as usual..."

The dwarf makes a feeble attempt to look innocent, notices its lack of effect, grumbles and then reaches out and blindly chooses a ring. He comes up with a rather plain looking silver ring that doesn't even seem to have a buterfly attached to it. He grunts and then stuffs it on his finger. "So, when do I get to fight something?"

With a flicker Peredhil blinks out and after an hour is back.

Well, dealt with Sweet Potatoes, Anti-virus updates, moving a couch, and a moment at a Magi BBQ. I guess the Rings *DO* work. Of sorts. I'm still here with the majority of worn Rings!

I'll leave the rest of the Rings here - that way others can join as they desire and have time.

If any of us are dragged away by Life, we'll be able to rejoin the group. Speaking of which...He takes an extra ring for Annael for when they find her, I'll just take this one for our angel.

Looking around, he beams happily.

What a marvelous group we have so far! With Knight and Gnarlitch along, (you ARE wearing your Rings in case we're separated, yes?) I feel safe in leaving Guido and Nuncio behind.

Anyone have an idea where Life could've hidden Annael?

At his words, the Butterflies took flight and milled about in a twister of dismay. Tracking their angel was THEIR job, and they felt guilty at having lost her.

Gyrfalcon smiled briefly at Salinye as she admired her newest magical ring for a moment before her face grew grim, eyes dark with unpleasant memories. “What now, Good Peredhil? You have this mage in any way I’m needed.” she promised.

Gyrfalcon picked up his traveling cloak and shook most of the butterflies free gently before swirling it around his shoulders and setting the clasp, many of the butterflies coming to rest on his shoulders and head as he picked up his katana. He smiled faintly as many others clustered around Peredhil, taking their rings in orderly fashion. His smile widened faintly as a much smaller figure darted among the people, worming his way closer to Peredhil.

Peredhil looked down in surprise to see Daryl sitting at his feet, wagging a butterfly-encrusted tail and holding out a small necklace made of many small steel links draped over one paw. Correctly interpreting this as a desire to come along, Peredhil took the chain and threaded the next ring, russet in color and with a red butterfly clutching to it, onto the ring before bending down to hand the necklace around Daryl’s neck, the butterfly fluttering its wings slowly against the fox’s white chest fur. “Yerf.” Daryl said in gratitude as he trotted over to stand next to Salinye, his slowly wagging tail barely disturbing the butterflies clinging to it.

Gyrfalcon waited until the press had lessened around the table before approaching Peredhil for his ring. His fellow half-elf nodded gravely as he handed Gyrfalcon his ring, and the half-elf blinked in surprise as he espied which butterfly clung to it – the one Annael had given to him in gift on his last birthday. It fluttered its wings defiantly, and the half-elf smiled faintly as he slipped the ring onto a finger and found a place next to Salinye and Daryl in the circle of mages around the table as Peredhil disappeared. The time passed slowly as they talked little, each mage lost in their own dark thoughts about the kidnapping of Annael, or bright musings as to the nature their newest quest would take.

When Peredhil returned, he reported the success of his experiment and looked around the group. “Anyone have an idea where Life could've hidden Annael?” he asked, the butterflies taking flight and swirling in agitation around the searchers.

Gyrfalcon shook his head. “I have no idea personally, but perhaps we would do best to search her normal haunts? I can think of her quarters, the great tree in the Courtyard, and the Confessional as three places we might search for any sign of her recent passage or clues as to where she might have been taken.” the half-elven ranger said.

"Well, I'm not the greatest on search parties, but an idea occured to me. Understanding how these rings work, perhaps it'd be best to split up. We could send a larger group to investigate places where Annael is known to be, like her quarters, or the great tree in the courtyard, or the Confessional." Gyrfalcon nodded as Stick continued, "Meanwhile, we can part into smaller groups... probably no more than 2 people per group and try and look into places that we may not expect her to be. That way, when search proves fruitless, we can access the 'easier' areas when we need to, and re-formulate our plans as need be. What does everyone else think?"

Stick scratches his chin in thought as he examines everyone else in the room.

"I think it's a good idea, Stick..." murmurs Tanny, touching her bluish-grey ring and looking at the butterfly that so resembles the color of her own eyes.

"We can cover more places is this way, and as far as we are inside the Castle, I think we should be safe enough. Maybe two or three people in each party... one who knows the place well, if possible. I'm willing to go with anyone, if you don't mind a wolf..." she smiles, shimmering into her wolf form. The butterflies that had covered her hair settle now on her fur as she sits next to the others.

Somewhere out there...

Annael frowned and slowly opened her eyes to see...nothing. Literally. Pitch black and nothing. Lifting a hand to where she supposed her face was, it felt like trying to move her hand through molasses. The air was thick and sticky, making it hard to breathe. Finally finding her face with her hand, Annael felt for her eyes to see if there was anything covering them. Finding nothing, she sighed with resignation.

"I thought people were joking when they said that you could fall into a black hole that is your life." Feeling around her, Annael brushed her hand over something on the ground. It felt like it had little wings. Crying out, she tenderly cupped her hand over the little butterfly and breathed softly on it. Seeing a little shimmer of light starting on the wings, she breathed on it again. After a few minutes of such care, the butterfly was it's normal shiny blue self. Settling itself on the tip of her ear and in a curl, it let it's tiny feet tattoo a soft rhythm on Annael's ear. It was a comfort to the both of them.

The butterfly provided a little light into the darkness. Annael saw that she was on a ledge. A sheer rock wall on one side, and nothingness on the other. Seeing a rock, she picked it up and dropped it off the nothingness side. Nothing.

"Hmm..that's not a good thing." Annael said as she softly rubbed the little wings of her only companion. Trying to streatch her wings, and winced and stopped the painful movements.

"That's not a good thing either. Well Little One, I think that I've got us into a pickle this time." Moving to sit with her back against the rock wall, Annael slowly slid down to sit on the ledge.

"Hello??? Anyone out there??" Annael cried out, a little out of panic, knowing she wasn't going to get an answer. The echo of laughter that came back at her on the ledge made her press back against the wall.

"This is so not cool."

Edited by Annael

Riven stands from his seat causing all but one of the butterflies to flee. Riven grins to the midnite blue butterfly on his shoulder, "Aren't you the brave one?" Riven quickly makes his way to the rings, picking one an unmark one so his butterfly will attune with his ring.

Riven chuckles slightly, "You have a demon looking for an angel, ironic, no?"

Riven bows his head to those he knows, "Timak would join us but, he is handling matters of business." Riven holds out his hand and his warhammer magicly appears in it, "So, what is the first order of business?"

Peredhil pops back in from five hours of driving, eating a belated Thanksgiving meal, and debugging code with a flash. Thus far, the Ring is returning him from Life quickly, but he hopes if it becomes a struggle, others will carry on until the Ring's magic returns him.

Stick, excellent idea!

I suggest we eliminate the immediate and obvious before we try the delayed and obtuse.

As long as there is a group with one more person than all the rest (counted singly rather than as a total), we should be able to active the Rings and return to the group.

The only drawback I can see is that the Rings return you from the group to where you were when you used them (or were plucked away, as Life keeps ceasing me).

I'm thinking that Tanuchan should lead a party to explore the Inner Guild areas, Gyrfalcon should take someone other than Salinye to explore the Tower. (we DO want your eyes sharp for Annael, dear friend, but when you're around her, you have eyes for no other woman, no offense intended.)

I'll take a person or two and search the FAQs and Inner Walls. We'll meet back at the Courtyard.

If anyone else comes late, Elrohir will wait here to brief them on what's happening, and offer them a Ring.

Is that okay with y'all?

The Butterflies whirled like a living rainbow into the air, and settled on Elrohir like the finest of raiment, signaling their assent.

"Exccceeelllent" hisses Wyvern from behind Peredhil, plucking one of the rings out of the container and examining it gleefully. "Using rings as a means for transportation in the search for Annael. Big P, you're a genious!"

"Errr..." mutters Peredhil upon noticing Wyvern, watching uneasily as the butterflies attached to the rings nip at the lizards claws when he tries to go for seconds and thirds. "Well, I'm glad you like i-"

"And Stick, I love your idea as well." interrupts Wyvern, grinning deviously and rubbing his scaly palms together. "We'll all seperate into groups, and the first to find Annael will be declared her hero and victor!"

The adventuring crowd glares at Wyvern upon hearing this, and Gyrfalcon slaps a palm on his forehead.

"Well then, ladies and gentsss" hisses Wyvern, bowing to the crowd before turning his back to them. "It's time for me to see just how far this ring can take me. I'll meet you at the spot where Annael has been kidnapped and hidden, best of luck... you succckerrrrs!"

With that, Wyvern lets out a gale of evil laughter and rushes out of the room with his butterfly ring, racing down the hall and exiting through the front doors of the Pen. The other adventurers watch the lizard from a window as he hails down an old man driving a rickety mule cart, which happens to be passing by the Pen at a snails pace. The lizard then pawns off his ring to the old man in order to catch a ride on the dismal wagon, causing the other adventurers to shake their heads in sympathy. As they watch the wagon slowly trail off, Knight turns to Tanuchan and says:

"Say, isn't it more likely that Annael might be found somewhere around the Pen?"

Tanuchan nods.

"Yeah, I wonder where the overgrown lizard thinks he's going."

"Well..." sighs Stick, shaking his head. "I guess we can't blame him for trying."

;-p

Noticing a growing crowd, Anna followed the sounds of voices until she met up with the location she was searching for. Unsure what was going on...Anna walked up to a chest filled with rings. Butterflies filled the air in a strange...but beautiful manner. Looking around...Anna spoke to no one in particular.

Anna-"What's going on...I'm rather new to the pen...but I'd like to help if I can."

Edited by Black9

Looking back from the ever comical, and most likely confused Wyvern, Knight chuckles, his eyes sweeping over the assembled group. The butterflies have begun dispersing at this point, and another woman has joined the group.

"Erm, well- it appears Annael has gone missing- and though the better majority of us have never actually *met* her, we're going ot go look for her. As for helping, I imagine you're more than welcome to. You may want to check with Gyrfalcon and Peredhil- they're pretty much the senior members here. As for myself, I'm not so much a new-comer, as an old-comer, who never-comes, if that makes much sense. The rather curious fellow you see beside me here," with this, Knight snags Stick roughly by the shoulder, and chuckles, "Is my good friend, and sometimes adventuring partner, Stick. We call him that because well, he's got that stick of his. And as for me, They usually call me Knight, if they call me at all."

As he had obviously baffled the lady with his banter, he turned to Stick, "Well old friend- where do we begin?"

Stick straightens up, shrugs, then starts balancing the BPS on the tip of his finger.

"Where to go... well, I figure we should check in the lesser known areas of The Pen; or at least the areas that Annael isn't known to haunt. I suggest the lower levels beneath the keep; maybe even the caves. What say you, Tanny?"

Stick and Knight turn to Tanuchan for their imput, expressions almost eager...

Tanny, who had made a point of being in human form and staying safely away from Wyvern, never letting him wander away from her watchful gaze, sighs and shakes her head as the lizard leaves. Stick's question brings her attention back to the group. She blinks at Stick.

"The Caves?"

"Yes... you know, those big ones under the Keep...?"

"I've never been there... I know there's a passage that starts in the last cellar, but I never thought of exploring it.' She considers for a moment. "We could start with the Inner Guilds, as Peredhil suggested. From there, we can go through the passages to the kitchen, then to the cellars. Would that seem alright for you also, Knight... and would anyone else come with us?"

She turns to the short figure standing not far from her, grinning to the dwarf, "Itchy, maybe you'd like to come with us, too? It seems to me that a dwarf would feel comfortable in caves. Though you have to promise not to be too near my nose..."

Gnarlitch snorts, hefting his axe.

"Now... let me see... Stick, I've never tried mindspeaking to you... or maybe you understand wolf? It will make communication much easier if I don't have to revert to human form whenever we have to talk."

While waiting for Stick's answer, in her mind Tanny goes quickly through some things she would like to take with her.

I'll get them in my room, as we head to the Inner Guilds. Caves... well, I can't complain about being far from energy sources...

Stick grins as the anticipation of the coming adventure grows. That and the prospect of making new friends, and journeying with old ones, "Actually, yes, I can speak wolf. One of those handy languages to speak when you're out living off the land and such. What about you Knight? Learn anything new since last we met? Or has your time been spent pursuing... lesser things?" Stick says the last part with a friendly smirk.

Soaring in the air far above Pen Keep Gryphon sees Wyvern come racing out of the Conservatory clutching something shiny that sparkles in the sun with a butterfly trailing after him.

Curious he flies down, alighting on the ground with so much finesse that barely a breeze is stirred by his wings, Gryphon flips his feathers to settle them and enters the gathering inside...

~~~

"Hey everyone, I just saw Wyven racing out with a nice shiny ring in his hand... who did he ... acquire it from?" :)

~~~

Seeing the box of rings, butterflies and the expressions on the faces of those in the room he pauses, before walking over towards Salinye to get a run down of what's going on...

~~~

"Annael? Missing? Who's Annael? Oh, the angel? I think I saw her once at the summer carnival - lots of butterflies... that explains where these ones came from. Take a ring? Join the search? Sure, why not? Caves? No thanks... I prefer open sky generally. Ah, right. Of course hiding outside wouldn't make it that hard for the butterflies to find her... Well I'll enter the caves if that's what it takes, but I'll do an outside search first if nobody minds."

~~~

Gryphon then separates from Sal and wonders over to where the box of butterfly rings sits near Peredhil. Bowing to the respected elder Gryphon chooses a ring and a butterfly in colours of black and silver with speckles of light blue flutters down to rest on it. Sliding the ring over a talon-tip Gryphon moves off to find anyone else who's looking to search outside, just to ensure that possibility is covered.

Anna, taking the hint from those around her that it would be ok to join...reached into the chest and pulled out a purple and pink ring. Donning the ring, the same color butterfly fluttered around her in a wild manner seeming to follow Anna where ever she moved.

Anna-"I hope you don't mind my assumption...but I'll join in the adventure. My father had many in his travels...I figure it's time I began to catch up. Caves are fine with me."

After phasing in and out a couple times, Stick addresses the group of people gathered about the room, "Hey hey hey, I realise I'm a popular guy around here..." he stresses popular and drags it out rather sarcastically, "...but I think my group was going to be one of the little ones. Not *everyone* has to follow us into the caves." he adds in a friendly manner, "Peredhil had mentioned some good areas to explore!"