The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Werewolf VI

Joe begins to zone as Arielle and Walter compare answers. His gaze moves over to where Bina is sitting. Who was she anyway? By her look he'd guess foreign, which means she was probably just visiting the school. I wonder how long..."

"Joe?" Arielle said, bringing him back, "Don't you want to double check your answers too?" She raised her Biology papers.

"Oh no thanks," he grunted, a little nervous like, "I'm pretty confident i don't have any wrong answers"

"That's because you don't have any answers" Walter said, not even looking up from his paper.

"Joe!" Arielle said, "Why didn't you do the assignment, it only took ten minutes"

"I don't need to waste my time on stuff like this" he gestured to the papers. "It's just busy work"

"You dont need to?" Arielle repeated, a little skeptical.

"Your quiz scores say differently" Walter said. Joe felt a twinge of guilt. Walter knew him too well.

"Whatever" Joe said, "I gotta go to the bathroom"

Joe got up and left. He went out the door only a few seconds before the teacher arrived and then the bell rang. Great another unexscused tardy. Just what he needed. What else could go wrong now?

Then he heard a voice call out, "A Little Help Here! Anybody?"

Edited by MeThinksUFoolish

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When the teacher appears, Laurie reluctantly closes her book and sighs. Blinking tiredly, she considers whether it would be wise to sleep through this class. She was up late reading last night, like she usually was. Deciding she'd better stay awake to absorb at least a little info, Laurie pulls out a sheet of paper and starts drawing. She's found that drawing helps her stay awake and listening to the teacher with one ear, which is better than no ears.

Laurie's pencil stops moving as she yawns, and she can't help closing her eyes. I've got a few minutes before class really gets going, she tells herself. Besides, it's good to sleep a bit. It'll give me energy for later. Shifting, she folds her arms and puts her head down. When she drifts off her fingers relax, and the pencil slips.

Class starts, and Laurie jerks awake a few minutes later. Trying to look like she knows what's going on, she glances at her neighbor's desk to see what they're doing. Pretending to listen attentively to the teacher, she tries to look like she didn't just wake up

Tiffany showed her agenda to one of her cheerleader friend. The said agenda was filled with pictures of Ryan Malcom, Tiff's favorite cutie actor.

- Does he looks handsome in this pict? He sure have abdos of steel, but Rich's are like hum... real steel.

Arielle decided to toy with Tiffany's mood by throwing a question that will certainly annoy Tiffany.

- Did you do your homework?

Tiffany stopped dead on her light chat and starts to look franticly in her bag and stuff for it. Then she finally retrieved it.

- May I take a look in it, Tiff? Arielle asks

- Sure! Rich helped me writing it.

Arielle looks at it and raises an eyebrow. Tiff did write it with a purple pen but it is clear that it is not her that came up with it and that, more likely Rich dictated her what to write. Also, another detail annoyed the much smarter girl as well.

- What is necessary to put stickers in your homework?, asks a dubious Arielle.

- Of course. It was boring looking! I had to add my personnal touch.

The brunette rolls her eyes and gave the "genuine" blondie her homework back. Then Tiffany resumes with the other cheerleader her babbling about the gorgeous looking actor.

Walter calmed down slowly, listening to Arielles words, but not thinking about them.

She had a beautiful voice... it was terrible to spoil it by digesting the thoughts she was trying to convey. This was because those thoughts would lead to more doubts of his own, or more of comparing himself to Richard. Instead, he listened to her, and was soothed. Finally, they concluded going over the homework, and noticed that Joe had still not yet returned.

"Where do you think Joe went?" Walter asked Arielle, and she turned to him briefly and shook her head. Slowly, she swung back around and sneaked a glance at Richard.

Walter sighed again, but instead took out his English asignment and looked at that.

Writing was never his strong point. Language always had exceptions to rules... not like math or biology. Everything was concrete there, or in the end it was wrong. If an organism had a malfunction, it suffered and would probably become extinct in that climate. If a triginometric equation had a flaw, it was undefined. There was always an answer.

English wasn't that way... and neither were girls.

He sighed again, but forced himself to read the essay after a quick glance at Ari.

Wake up.

Back alley, don't remember it. No suprise there.

Assorted [Edited] strewn about me. Woah, some of this stuff is definitely not mine. [Edited]. Better not ask, hope it goes away.

*Yeah Chandler, that worked famously in the past...*

Hey, shut the [Edited] up you. I didn't know what was going on then, all all right? Maybe if someone had told me what was happening, things would have turned out differently. Besides, I probably stole this stuff from an innocent, the type who is too scared to come hunt me down for revenge. Don't worry about it. Heh, I wish this hangover would go away...gonna be a pain all day

Man, what time is it? [Edited], I gotta go to class!

Chandler arrives at school a little after the bell rings, sauntering as usual - he cares very little what time he arrives. If he's already getting a tardy then there's no reason to care, as far as he's concerned.

There's always the chance he can escape detection, however...

Chandler slipped into the room very carefully, closing the door softly. The teacher hadn't noticed yet, good. He didn't bother waving or anything to Jaquie, she wouldn't see it.

He notices Laurie's dazed expression and (grinning to the class with a look that says, "Keep quiet!") he creeps up on the dazed girl (not hard to do, she's hardly noticing anything) and whispers, "Wake up little Laurie, the days just begun," right before he pinches her side, grinning all the time. Taken off guard, she yelps, and the entire class laughs.

Chandler grins, glad for the recognition (Although he feels a pang as he notices Jaquie's confusion at the laughter, the source of which she has not the slightest clue), but his happiness is short lived as the teacher also hears Laurie's outburst and is quick to seize upon the source of all the commotion.

[Edited]

"Aah, Mr. Achtobowski, how nice of you to join us in such a fashion," he says sarcastically, filling out a tardy slip as he did so, "I hope you will quit your pursuit of the opposite sex and instead take a seat, as I will otherwise be forced to file you even more demerits, something you can ill afford."

Chandler sighs, and pulls up a seat next Jaquie. "Why'd ya take a front row seat for crissake? You know I hate front-row seats!"

Jaquie ignores him, and instead asks, "And exactly where were you? I've been waiting for you, and its kind of uncomfortable with all these pitiers around me."

He starts to shoot her a look, realizes she won't see it, and instead says, "I don't know where I was, I woke up with some firearms, drugs, and broken bottles around me, okay? I've got a hangover and I'm pissed at that snotface teacher." Pulling himself out of it, he grins and says, "And how are you, my dear?"

Joe ran up to the two kids, one was kneeling next to the other who looked unconcious.

"What happened?" Joe asked.

"I don't know" the other kid said, "He was like this when i found him. I was gonna go for help but i didn't think i should leave him"

"Alright, alright" joe ran his fingers through his hair. not good, this was not good

"Whjat do we do, man? what do we do?" the kid asked. He was panicing, anyon who has ever seen any movie knows that you shouldn't panic. Bu Hell, it sure seemed like it was what we should do

"Alright, alright" joe said again, what else did he have to say. "Um, i'll go get someone from the clinic." Joe turned to leave

"Wait" the kid yelled. Joe spun around. What now? "I don't know if... i mean i think i should..."

Joe looked at the kid. he was scared out of his mind. he didn't want to stay.

"Alright, alright, ALRIGHT" joe said, he was definitely panicing. "I'll stay here. YOU go get someone"

"Alright" the kid ran off

"And you hurry the hell up" Joe yelled after him, kneeling down next to the kid. What was wrong with him?

Jerked out of her daze, Laurie yelps when Chandler startles her. Rather embarassed, she shakes her hair foward to hide her face and stares straight ahead, pretending the event never happened, as she usually does when she is teased or embarassed. She suppresses a sheepish grin, and focuses on her desk.

Laurie is gladly relieved when the teacher's attention shifts to Chandler. Relaxing, she calms her breathing and leans back a little. Picking up her pencil, her doodling is uninspired. Homeroom won't last much longer, she tells herself. It isn't worth picking up a book. Her gaze flits around the room, observing her class mates. She watches them covertly, wondering what their life looks like from the inside.

Arielle starts at Laurie's yelp, then looks around. She shakes her head when the teacher calls Chandler's attention, wondering how anyone could be so uncaring about himself as to do what that boy did.

But it was no problem of hers, as Chandler never talked to her - not about anything that made sense to her.

Then she hastily writes a checklist and, while the teacher is busy with Chandler, calls Laurie softly. Laurie's flitting gaze shifts to her, and Arielle blushes.

Why am I doing this? Laurie never talks to anyone... we hardly say a good morning to each other!

"Laurie, this is what he," indicates the teacher with her eyes, "was talking about while you were... distracted." Still blushing, Arielle hands her the paper and quickly dips her face over her notebook, making herself busy.

Edited by Tanuchan

"Here," Mr. Blackburn said, "are your pop quizzes. I hope you do well on them." He glances at a few selected students and grins wryly.

He proceeds to sit at his desk, setting a timer, and watches the students do their quiz. After a few minutes the school principal comes in and whispers something in his ear, at which he promptly gets up and follws her out in the hall.

The students, who are either immersed in the test, or happily studying the back of their eyelids don't notice anything until Mr. Blackburn comes back. He slams the door shut, and sets the timer off, a loud buzz fills the room. The students either wake up, or look up, all focused on the teacher and the noise.

"Students," he begins, "I'm afraid we've got a little problem. Billy Smith has been beaten up pretty badly..... he is on his way to the hospital as we speak. It seems there's a bully on the loose in this school, one who's hurting people badly. If you have any idea who it may be, any help would be greatly appreciated.

"And.. watch yourselves in the hallways after class. There's a half hour left of this class, but you'll be safe while you're here."

Poor Billy, in the hospital, all beat up. We'd better find these bullies.

You have 24 hours, begin your voting.

After all the votes have been tallied and someone has been lynched, the break between classes, or Night Phase begins.

Good luck.

Joe walks back into the room after Mr. Blackburn. He heads to his desk quietly and sits down opening his book, getting the page number from Walter. The book sits open on hs desk, but Joe's attention is not on it. Reaching into his back-pack, he pulls out some paper and scribbles a note. Folding the paper in half, he hands the note to Arielle, who reads the note.

"Where were you?" Walter asks

"I saw the whole thing" Joe whispers back. Arielle hands the note to Walter so he can read it.

"Something is going on!" he says

Tiffany is totally panicking. A POP TEST? That is so MEAN!!!!! the dodo brained cheerleader thought. While the teacher had been called away by the director, she took the opportunity to share some papers and asking answer to her cheerleader friend. Once she completed with what she thought are the right answers. When Mister Blackburn comes back in and announced the situation Tiff raises her hand

- Yes Tiffany?

- Do you know who is the bully?

- No, we don't. But it is more likely to be someone in this class right now.

Tiffany raises her hand again.

- Yes Tiffany?

- Is the bully who did that to Billy is a mean person?

While some students chuckles, the teacher sight and diligently answer her question

- Of course he or she is.

- That is so mean!!!!

Some students slaps their forehead while more chuckles can be heard. Mr. Blackburn sighted.

- Anymore questions from your Tiffany?

- I guess not.

Laurie's eyes jump to Arielle when she calls. Nodding, she takes the paper gratefully and flashes Arielle a quick smile of thanks. Listening to the teacher with half an ear, she reviews the paper speedily. Feeling more comfortable now that she can follow the thread of the class, she settles down and listens to the teacher talk. She keeps her eyes to the front, though. Being grateful to someone has always vaguely awkard for her. It seemed to Laurie to be another matter in which someone might be judging her.

The paper is handed out and Laurie sighs. She really doesn't feel like taking a quiz right now. Looking down at the pop quiz placed before her, Laurie knows she'll get another mediocre grade on this one. The general information is familiar enough; she just kind of missed the details. Still, the grade will be good enough, like always.

When the teacher leaves, Laurie hardly notices. She's wracking her brains for the answer which she can't ever remember knowing. When the buzzer sounds, she looks up, welcoming the end to fruitless thinking. Listening to the announcement, she's not too worried. The thrill of danger is slightly exciting, since nothing ever really happens in Laurie's world. And being careful means nothing more than sticking closer to the wall than usual, if that's possible. But in the back of her mind, she has a vague sense of unease. Nothing like this has ever happened so close to home before.

Hearing the teacher announce that the bully is probably someone in the class, Laurie's eyes widen. It's like a scene out of one of her books. The threats still seem sort of half real, though. After all, Laurie thinks, when has anything like this ever happened anywhere near me? It's hard to imagine it.

Glancing around the room, Laurie sees her classmates doing the same, wondering which one's the bully. Tiffany's questions catch her ear, and she listens incredulously. How stupid can you get? she thinks. Well, at least we know she's obviously not the bully. Laurie suppresses a small laugh at the thought of Tiffany being a bully.

Edited by dragonqueen

Arielle can't help a soft giggle at Tiff's questions, and she relaxes a bit. Then she swallows a yelp when Wally pokes her ribs with a note. Glancing at Mr. Blackburn and blushing when she sees his eyes on her direction, she hastily picks it and gives Walter a small sign to wait, and goes back to listening to Mr. Blackburn with half her mind.

Because the other half is, uncharacteristically for her, very distracted between thoughts of bullies, Tiff's questions, Rich's intelligent eyes observing the class...

She shakes herself awake, blushing harder. She will be in trouble if she misses the end of the class... as she is quite sure no one of her friends is paying much attention so she won't have help if she needs it.

What reminds her of Walter.

Edited by Tanuchan

Mr. Blackburn hands out the quizzes, and Jaquie can hear him shuffling between the rows, the papers softly hitting the desks each time he pauses. He makes his way to her and she reaches out to receive the usual disk, which she slides into the drive and adjusts her headphones.

"You may begin," intones Mr. Blackburn, and Jaquie presses a button to start the quiz.

While the monotone computer voice is preaching questions to her ear, Jaquie types the answers on her special silent keyboard. She wonders vaguely, not for the first time, what it must be like for the other students, writing on paper and being able to switch quickly between questions. Crushing the thought, Jaquie's mind wanders instead over to Chandler.

She'd known him for two years now. They went out to movies and stuff all the time. But he'd never really asked her out. Jaquie's mind went over all the usual arguments: Perhaps he considered that they were dating. But he'd never tried to kiss her. Well, obviously he's just shy. She'd never tried to kiss him.

The fourth time the voice in her ear had to repeat its question, Jaquie started back to reality. Oh yes. She knew the answer to this one, but as she began to type it up the buzzer sounded. Jaquie actually jumped at the sound. How long had they been writing? She hadn't been distracted all that long! But then Mr. Blackburn started talking, and all thoughts of the quiz were discarded.

People began gossiping almost immediately. Jaquie heard someone say, "At least we know it can't have been the blind girl."

"If that isn't the height of ignorance!" cried Jaquie, to the surprise of many of the students who hadn't even heard that particular comment. Chandler must have been included in that group, for he murmered, "What is it?"

"A blind girl can't beat somebody up?" she mimicked loudly. "I'm not even sure who said that, but I know right now I could beat you up. Obviously I could, for I would have the advantage that you wouldn't be treating me seriously until your nose was already inside your face!"

Everyone was silent for a moment. "Do you think I couldn't see you, so I wouldn't know where to hit? My ears are fine and I could easily hear your movements. And once I had you, you'd be on the ground so fast you wouldn't be moving anywhere else for weeks! You arrogant, ignorant, annoying, wo.." Chandler was shaking her shoulder. "Jaquie!" he said fiercely. She stopped, but didn't bow her head, just kept looking straight forward in the direction of the original voice.

Not before long, the conversations had started up again. Jaquie even heard some whispered ones about what she had just said. No matter. If they wanted to persist in ignorance even after being told otherwise, that was their perogative.

It's kind of difficult to give us 24 hours in the first day phase and expect us to just start voting. :( Not many of our characters have the disposition to just begin flinging accusations. At any rate, I'm sure we'll do the best we can. I for one plan to come online in about a few hours and post a vote regardless of any good IC reasons.

OOC: and i, for another hadn't voted until now cause I only just got back from selling dvd's. So there :P

Mara whipped out her notebook and quickly began scribbling notes. She wasn't fooled by the cheerleaders pretense at stupidity, she knew a story when she found one!

Today the peace of this quiet, carefree school was shattered by a savage and brutal attack on one of our own people. Billy was attacked by a vicious thug, intent on killing him. Will the teachers have the brains to figure it out themselves? Will they suspect, as the whole of the school newspaper does, the supposedly innocent cheerleader, Tiffany? Or will we have to take matters into our own hands? Stay tuned...

ooc: Sorry but I had a bad experince with cheerleaders. Vote for Tiffany/Lady Celes

Rich thinks to himself, "Hmm, who could have done this. It definitely fits Meat's MO, and I haven't seen him here in class yet. But then Joe was gone and didn't come bck until after the guy was found, so he's suspicious looking too. And our druggie friend Chandler came in late, as usual, so it could have been him. The rest of us were in here. But which one of thsoe three did it...or was it all of them together? Naw, couldn't be. Maybe one or two, but not all three...." He stays lost in thought until near the end of class....

After getting Nurse Felton and leading her to where Joe and Billy, as Rupert now knew his name to be, were at, Rupert hung back and around while an ambulance came to the school. He had gotten involved as much as he could, but now was the time for him to return to the sidelines and document the happenings. With his camera in his hands and his fingers on the shutter button, Rupert shot pictures of Nurse Felton looking after Billy with Joe's help. He continued to take pictures as the ambulance employees came in and took over and loaded Billy up onto a guerney and wheeled him out to the ambulance.

Continuing to take pictures until the ambulance pulled out of the parking lot, it was only then that Nurse Felton realized Rupert had been taking as many picutres as he had. Seeing the look she gave him, Rupert knew it was time to leave.

Rushing off to the darkroom of the school newspaper, Rupert wanted to get these developed as soon as possible. He said a silent thank you to Joe for coming out to the hallway when he did.

Once he was in the darkroom, Rupert made sure everything was all set up for him to develop his pictures.

"Why are my hands shaking so much?!"Rupert thought to himself as he fumbled with the release for the film.

Taking a deep breath he started to develop the pictures.

After what seemed like forever, the pictures were ready to be taken out of the dark room.

Coming out into the hallway Rupert looked at the images. He didn't need to see these...he could already picture them in his mind, they have been engrained so.

These bullies weren't the kind that just shook down the random freshman for his lunch money. These were monsters. But what could he do to stop them? He shouldn't do anything. That wasn't his place.

His place though was to share the info with others.

Then it hit him.

His writing may be subpar, but he had these pictures.

Rupert set himself to work on an extra edition of paper.

Laying out the pictures, Rupert realized that Billy would probably hate him once he found out that his assault was going to be the talk of the school, if not now, for sure when this issue hit the stands. But, Rupert justified it with the knowledge that there would be other kids unless someone was caught. He couldn't himself get involved, but he could share what he saw. And that would maybe convince others to get involved and stop these bullies.

Getting back to focusing on the task at hand, Rupert laid the pictures out in sequential order.

Once it was all set he began the process of getting them ready to be printed in mass, with a simple headline.

There would be no words, except for 3 which put together a question everyone was probably asking.

Who did this?

OOC I'm tying my vote to Joe's/MTYF. This is only because he's the only other one who saw most of what Rupert saw. Since Rupert hasn't been interacting with others, he doesn't really have a basis on which to make an accusation. Plus he's trying to stay unbiased. If I could I'd just abstain but I know we don't want that :P

Edited by Nave

"It just doesn't seem like Meat's style, Chandler. I despise the guy, but he's never put anyone in the hospital before," Jaquie whispered. "The way I see it, nothing like this has happened in Xavier for as long as we've lived here. So what's different now?"

Chandler looked around the room. "You don't mean the exchange student?"

Jaquie shook her head sadly. "I hate to say it because it comes out as racist. I don't have any problems with Germans, you know that. But we never had any trouble before Bina came over."

OOC: A vote for Jammeez - Bina Jamhausen

The final 30 mintues of class went by quickly. Before too long Joe was picking up his bag on his way to English class. Reviewing in his head his official exscuse for not doing tonight's asignment, he slung the back pack over his shoulder and headed for the door.

The question of the bully still hung in his mind and all that had already happened was there too. He wondered who could be responsible. That kid Chandler seemed like the type that was capable, but Joe doubted he really cared enough to put forth the effort it would take to beat someone up. Meat, of course, was an obvious suspect, being the reigning bully, but this didn't smell like Meat. Rich had the physical capabilities, but he was a nice guy, even if the way Arielle looked at him made Joe feel sick. So who was it?

He was borught back to present day when someone bumped into him.

"Oops, exscuse me!" Joe said, he wasn't watching where he was going.

"Oh" said a very feminie voice, with a rich accent, "My pardon"

Joe smiled at the girl, he had been right definitley foreign. He stuck out his hand. "I'm Joe" he told her.

OOC: Vote for Chandler-HappyBuddha

OOC: you're asking for a 24 hour turn around?

On a weekend?

We're more of a 48 hour crowd.

Ah well.

IC

Mathew John is not shocked by the news.

He had been aware of the inherent violence of the school for a long time. He was glad it was not any of his who got hurt, but he gave a silent prayer for Billy Smith anyway.

He'd come up at the lunch prayer meeting today.

And he'd ask the others if they'd seen or heard anything.

Billy didn't have money, didn't look cross eyed at anyone, was a null, harmless. Who would pick on him?

Drugs were a big part of the problem of this society and on this school.

Drugs would make you do illogical, insane things.

Like beat up Billy Smith because the voices in your head said so.

Looking around at his friends, he started the rumour, knowing that it would spread through the school quickly, and the administration would do the right thing.

"It's that burn out, Chandler A. You know he does stuff. Hard core stuff. Snorts, shoots, for sure. He beat up Billy. Watch out for him."

OOC: A vote for HappyBuddha - Chandler Achtobowski.

How's that for a vote?

More later,

Vahktang