The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

'Speak Softly and Carry a Big Pointy Stick'

Yui-chan

Hi, again.

First, I just want to mention that if these posts are annoying anyone, please just let me know and I'll stop putting the new character sketches in here. I know they're not writing, but I was asked to share what I'd done way back when I started. Please do tell me if they're bugging you, and I can share them elsewhere instead of taking up forum space.

For now, then... Here's our favorite guy with a really strange name.... Stick! I couldn't resist the title, given his laidback attitude and pose. This guy really does speak softly and carry a big, pointy stick. :) My apologies to Teddy Roosevelt for appropriating his favorite proverb.

I hope you'll enjoy. I feel like I learned a lot from this one. :D Also, as always, thanks have to go out to Aegon and our closet mirrors for being the pose and reference sources. (No, that doesn't mean that Stick looks anything like Aegon. Sorry. :P)

Yours,

~Yui

PS: Once again, click the image for a detail shot of Stick.

Posted Image

Like I said before, really well done! I really like it. I'm impressed how you captured the image of Stick from my jumbled messages and what-not; I know I can kinda ramble on... lots. Heh, I also like you managed to fit both backgrounds that I said in there, quite nifty-licious ^.^ (Hah, that time, I made that one up... heh...)

Also, strange side-note, throw glasses, a little bit of redness on the face (gah, stupid acutane... not working 100%... heh...) and about 10 pounds, and that pretty much looks exactly like me. And as far as I know, Yui hasn't ever seen me irl before... unless of course I have a stalker, in which case... cooooooooooool!

Oh, and one more thing... would it be cool if put this on my website? I personally don't see a reason why you wouldn't want me to, but I figured it'd be best to ask first ^.^ (With due credit of course ;) )

Edited by The Big Pointy One

simply excellent, Yui! Bravo. The attention to detail here is quite impressive. excellent body structure, shading, and symmetry. oh..and when I saw the hands and feet (two features I always found hard to replicate in such acurate detail) I was impressed all over again. Nifty work, kiddo! ;)

keep this up and you'll find yourself with a very long list of people begging you to draw characters for them.

Edited by Brute

You guys are way too nice. Thanks!

Rune: Rah, rah, ree? :D

Gyrfalcon: While you're stunned, do you mind if I steal Daryl to play with?

Celes: Merci beaucoup. I had a lot of fun with that pose, so I'm especially glad that you like it. :)

Justin: For anyone who spells 'honored' with a u, the portraiture charge is tripled. ... of course, three times zero is still zero. D'oh! ;)

Brute-dear: Thanks so much. Hands and feet are the drawing Devils, but a good mirror goes a long way towards helping defeat them. Still, his left hand is mucho saddo. Something to improve upon next time. :/

Stick: ... darnit, it's no fun to stalk you when you know about it! :P Anyway, the image is for you, so of course you can put it on your site. Would you please just mention who drew it and put a link back to my site ( http://lucent.twoskies.net )? I can even provide a banner if that would fit your layout. --> Yui does the 'little kid playing at being a professional' dance. :P

Kasmandre: Well, send me a PM if you want on there. I dunno how much longer I'm going to keep the offer open, though, so sooner might be better than later. I didn't realize how many people would be interested! :blink:

Ayshela: ... ah, blessed silence... ;)

Archaneus: Awww... well, I'm sorry that yours wasn't as good, but that was part of the idea. I'm learning a lot with every new sketch, so hopefully we'll find that each one is slightly better than the last.

Tasslehoff: Why? What artist am I? ;) No, seriously... go check out Epilogue to see some real art. That'll put my scribbles in a much more humble perspective. B)

Yours,

~Yui

*Stick chuckles*

Good good, and of course, I'll *gladly* link to your site, if you want to send me a banner, that'd be great too! That is, if you don't mind it being only on the links page... and the fact that my site hasn't really be updated in a year... still! One day...

Of course, if anyone else around here has a website that they want to be linked from mine, feel free to send me a message with the addy and what not, as well as a good reason why I should do such a favour! :P Okay, just kidding... although please and thank you are always appreciated :P (Not like anyone would really want a link on my website or anything... it's deader than the Mr.Bunny fanclub {registration} ...and *THAT* is roughly about as dead as it gets. Heh. )

*Daryl bounds over to Yui-chan and wags his tail at her, grinning a giant foxy grin as Gyrfalcon continues to stare entranced until her mention of a gallery for Stick to visit penetrates.*

Gallery...

*Aegon is nearly run over as Gyrfalcon dives through the gate ahead of Stick*

(Excellent artwork, Yui-chan! You have a true gift. :))

Ayshela-sama,

It was only a generalization, not a comment with any relevance to who you are or how you speak. I'm one of those people who has a life largely lacking in nice, simple silences, and I was simply making a comment about how much the thought appealed. I know you were being kind. No worries. I thank you for your wordless comment, which spoke quite eloquently. :D

Yours,

~Yui