The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Fantasy Artwork

Rune

Very true, Epilogue and Deviantart are amazing sites as well. Granted Deviantart isnt quite as selective but if you search there are some amazing artists out there.

I find it interesting that most of the people on GFX use Photoshop and Painter to create images that look identical to oil and canvas. Also makes me wonder if there will be a time in future where Oil and Canvas creations will cease to exist. :( Afterall digital artwork is not only cheaper, but easier to use for most.

We will always have traditional media, don't forget that we still have a whole world full of people who just don't grok the online one. It's nice to see the lines between digital and traditional melding though, I like producing stuff on the screen that is as good if not better than my work with pencils.

It's allllll good... ooh dragons, must drool!

I think you'll find that, no matter how far digital art goes, it will never fully replace the traditional media. There's an entirely different aesthetic to digital media, both for the artist and for the audience or the connossieur. Many artists will tell you that it's just not as satisfying to paint digitally as it is to have the canvas and brush under your hands. Beyond just the fact that you can never hold the 'original' in your hand, there's a whole aspect of malleability to digital art that makes it a much riskier medium. For example, consider even so basic a thing as monitor settings. How you see a given image on your screen may be completely different than how I do and how the artist created it to look. That lack of control is especially unique to the digital world. Also, how much easier is it to change someone else's art if it's digital? Very easy... But have you ever tried to change the brightness and contrast on an oil painting? :P And, of course, the old issue of image theft is far less ugly in the real world than it is on the web.

These are the kinds of things that I think add up to ensure that there will always be artists who will stick with physical media even though digital can be cheaper. I hope I'm not wrong... to lose the ability to create physical works of art would be a terrible tragedy.

I do ramble on, huh? :P

~Yui

But in reality with the future developing what it is, you will be able to paint something digitally and have a computer print and produce the artwork using a media that might not be oils, but something so similiar that future generations may never know.

What happens if in the future people start to think a paintbrush is only for painting furniture?

i think both have their place.

personally, i fervently hope that art forms are never completely digitized.

i can't imagine any form of digital art that would replace the feel of the pastels in your hand, being able to smudge in just a *hint* of colour to brighten or shadow, the adventures of colour blending and trying to create just the right shade.

i can't imagine doing watercolours in digital media, though i suppose someone will figure it out.

Drawing, painting, ceramics, sculpture, they have been to me very hands-on creative experiences. i don't think hand on a mouse would quite do the same thing, for me.

Well I am going to agree that we will always have both. I am a terrible artist myself, but I do have to say I aprecciate the talent it takes to actually draw something a lot more than hitting a button and causing some special effect to a drawing on the computer.

I do have to say I disagree with with you Jonathon in a way. Within about 50 or so years everyone will have computers as a primary tool for everything. Not quite sure what you mean by "grok" though.

Glad to see the reference to Heinlein didn't go unnoticed...

Beleive me, even now, after the computer having been around for, what... 50 years? It's not a replacement for many of the things in real life, it's an automation of it.

Bulletin Boards used to be corkboard attached to a wall with notices placed on them.

Snail mail vs. Email

Graphics Tablet vs. Paintbrush

So it's brilliant for replacing anything that could be representing in 2 dimensions on a screen. Namely two things, text and pictures.

However, you still can't staple your garage sale advertisment to the monitor, nor can you email anything that can't be represented as 1's and 0's, Though I bet you once we perfect instantaneous matter conversion, emailing the family cat might even be possible... :D

And yes, sorry Archaneus but the physical medium is real... and real is something this digital world ain't

At least until the Matrix is built.

See, I always figured the medium isn't as important as the artist, for it is the artist who creates the picture. It's not like a few years down the road there's going to be a ban on paper, or canvas, or whatever other thing an artist would use to create their work (although you never know) The thing to remember is, is that a lot of these people *choose* to use digital media to do their work ^.^

Keep it cool, ;)