The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Weekly Contest?

Rune

I thought this might be kinda neat for those of you that frequent the board.

Basically a new topic will be started with the title "Weekly Contest - Subject" where Subject is one word. People then respond with either an original poem, original short story, or even original paragraph about the subject. At the end of the week a poll is put up with each of the submissions and people can vote on which they liked the best. The following week another contest starts and so on and so on.

Just thought it might be kinda neat. We do this currently with drawings and visual art and its a huge success.

Example:

Weekly Contest - Tree

You could write one about a tree, about nature, about how you are a tree, about how trees taste good, about how there is a lack of trees in the world..etc

Weekly Contest - War

You could write about war, about peace, about warhammer 5000, about warwick davis.. so on and so on

Weekly Contest - Depression

Self Explanatory.

So anywho, just thought it might be neat. Opinions?

Edited by Rune

I love the idea!

Especially the weekly part, since I only seem to be here for any length of time on Fridays, recently. Bugger work and the horse it rode in on!

Now I have an image of work being a Rider of the Apocalypse and I want to write about it lol.

Is there any hope?

C. ;)

edited for spelling - bah!

Edited by Cerulean

Removes the back of his languishing hand from his brow long enough to point out that he's entered nearly every contest the Archmage Conservatory had, and the Pen has.

Falcon, Wyvern, Revery have run contests for individual events.

A Pen contest weekly, judged by the Pen itself, would prolly be nice, as long as everyone was Polite and no one chose to have their feelings hurt.

Peredhil goes back to his dramatic languishing, practicing for when Broadway goes on strike.

* Wanders in to find a languishing Peredhil and a visionary Cerulean. Stops short. *

A terrible thing it just may be

when politeness languishes

o so very dramatically

sprawled on the couch,

a sure and certain sign of

the onward and inevitable

rushing forward of

things apocalyptic –

Cerulean on a scarlet horse perhaps?

Playfulness aside, I really like the idea of a weekly theme to engage our writing and would be very interested both in participating in something like that and in seeing what others would come up with. I’d like to encourage this aspect of the proposal.

The notion of a contest doesn’t particularly excite me however as I do not see my better writing as the kind of thing I would submit as a contest entry or compose for a contest. I’m not opposed to the idea of having a contest, I’m simply unlikely to participate in one.

The general timeline of the contest would be as such:

Monday - Posted new thread, subject: Weekly Contest - Subject

Sunday - Lock Thread

Monday - Post new thread, subject: Weekly Contest - New Subject

Post Poll thread (without the ability to reply, simply an anonomous poll) with each of the presenters names.

Sunday - Lock new subject poll. Lock Poll thread. I can run the first one or two rounds since im familiar with the process, then someone else can pick it up and go with it if they want.

Just additional ideas. Its up to you all and the elders on if its a good idea.

A familiar voice slips free of the shadows from whence her eyes watch.

I think themed writing is an excellent idea, and probably a weekly timing is good for this group. I only wonder why the effort should need to be competitive? I would think there is much greater benefit and much less potential for hurt if it were a Weekly Exercise, and not a competition. There is more growth where there is no fear of judgement, in my experience, and besides... how can we judge who is 'better' with so many excellent writers and unique styles here?

No, I would not like to see a competition, but I think the weekly exercises are a marvellous idea. Also, without the 'vote', one would not need to lock the threads, and anyone who'd not managed to participate in last week's theme could still do the exercise and let us enjoy the result.

Thank you for suggesting it, Rune-sama.

A fair hand flows forth from the darkness to pat the little demon child on the head before both voice and form slip back into the comfort of darkness and silence.

If people want to do this, there will be weeks when there are only one entry/publication (if no contest) and there might be weeks where there are 10. Nothing wrong with fewer, No one should ever be forced to write.

• 2 weeks later...

I kinda wanted to leave it as open ended as possible so that people could be creative. Its not a contest really, more of a theme..so there is no huge need to keep things grouped other than via a common theme. Part of the fun is seeing what people come up with!

Guess its up to the masses, but my vote would be you can make it plural if you wanted.

Here is the first one: click

Edited by Rune

Since it isn't a contest, but explorations in directed writing, I think I'd go for the broadest interpretation.

So if it were me, I'd write about Spirits of Ancient Egypt drinking wine spirits as they are waiting for explorers to spirit their sarcophagi away... :P