The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

A new Idea

All right, I have an Idea ... called Member of the Month.. and heres how it works, well people who wish to run for Member of the Month can post here after 3 days I take those peoples names and make a pole the pole will be there for 5 days then I take the votes and who ever has the most votes holds the title for Member of the Month

Well shall we start then, I would like to run... so if anyone else would like to then go on and post it :) so there you have it my new Idea ^_^

This is a pretty good idea, but I dont like the way you proposed to run it particularly. It'd work better if it were ust the elders who got to pick, since they'd be most fair probably. They're really busy.

Now, I'd say a committee of volunteers shoud do it. About 5 or 6 should do it. They'd get together sometime, and pick out who's been most actively writing, or who is showing the most promise or even, if someone needs a boost. It'd be better that way, since not everyone who deserved to win would go in the running. I myself wouldn't, thought I don't deserve to win :).

A great idea, though. A good way to encourage initiates and people who're feeling down to post more.

I think in theory this is a good idea, but we also have to be careful not to make anyone feel left out. I think this may work if the credentials for 'Member of the Month' are basically on not how well they write, but on how they act as a member of The Pen. I.E. Replies to topics, good topic starting, most helpful posting, etc.

I don't know really, that's why I tacked those 'I think's up there...

It seems like a good idea, but I have a few suggestions and questions...

1)You are not allowed to nominate yourself. Or have the Elders nominate people, as Deg stated. It would be more fair, and less cluttered.

2)Would it encourage more posts, just for the sake of posting, or more posts to help people grow. Both sides can be argued, but again, if the Elders nominate people, it would lower the spam posts.

3)Would it take into account people's schedules? Some people read every single post, but don't have time to comment on any that aren't extremely high priority. Others read only half the posts, but comment on every single one.

4)Would it take into account people's interests? For example, I try to read all of the poetry, but I rarely go into the Assembly room. Why? Because reading long, story-type, posts gives me horrible migranes. If I print them off, I'm fine, but my ink and paper are finite.

That's all for today....

Although I think the idea is wonderful and would be kind of cool, I suggest against it. The main reason is because it opens up a pocket for someones feelings to get hurt, and it makes it become a popularity contest to a degree.

I would suggest making an "active writers" award or something similiar that focuses on those who actively write and perhaps show improvement. (note I did not say on number of posts, but rather on content, improvement, etc)

:wolf: ...perhaps it is just my own strange little brainwaves bobbing to the surface, but I really, really don't like the idea.

It is hard not to make group things a competition. I know personally I rarely get an idea for a piece of writing that I like enough to act on, and peer at the boards here quite frequently, looking at the mass of quallity writing other people produce and feeling like I'm almost not entitled to post conversationally here for the amount I contribute in poems and stories.

But I know that's not what it's about - that I post what I CAN in art is what matters and that with time, maybe I'll get to the point where I find as much to write about as the people here I admire.

Having a member of the month would make it a competition - to me it would take from the idea that if you post what you can, you are doing your bit.

I thought I had more to say... but I've forgotten what so I'll leave it as is and post again if I remember.

Shrugs and hugs Deadly Nightshade.

It really doesn't matter to me much one way or another - the reason I became an Ancient is that I realized I can't give the Pen and its membership the time and response y'all deserve.

The thing that impresses me, and that I applaud, is that Deadly Nightshade decided to brainstorm an idea to help the Pen and had the courage to post it.

That shines.

It takes courage to post ideas like this, and not take the discussion of your idea as discussion of you.

Great job in trying to make the Pen a better place. No ideas are bad as long as we realize the person suggesting it wants to help.

Hugs again.

Thank you Deadly Nightshade!

I hope that my post did not offend. As mentioned I think the idea is grand, just suggest against it for this particular site. But ultimately it would be best to put it up for vote as alot of people are soft spoken but might be willing to vote.

I worry that putting competition into a site like this might drive some away. Alot of people are intimidated when they are held to certain levels that might invoke the idea that someone is better than another. Although the pen has levels and rewards for its members they arent glorified to the point where its intimidating.

But the main reason for this post to confirm what Pere said. You should never be afraid to post an idea. In response people should never be afraid to post their opinion either.

Ah.. there we go. I remember what I had to say.

We are already rewarded for our artistic efforts at the Pen by gaining rank and therein gaining access to member forums of the Pen. But this reward is not given in a competitive sense and is awarded on an individual to individual basis, as a mark of our overall contributions as opposed to month by month activity.

As the wise people above me said, never be afraid to present an idea: i.e. not trying to be negative, just so you know. :wyvdream: