The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Threads for beginners in RPGs

Zariah

I think creating a set of threads for beginners would be an excellent idea. The experienced could "guide" those unfamiliar with role playing through the process. I, for example, have never played any role playing games in my life. I am VERY interested, but need he "baby steps". Many times I have read the running threads in the conservatory, but cease to join in for fear of failing, or looking stupid.

I was not here when the pen began and I know many of the new members do not know what was avaiable in the past because they were not there. If we could inspire the voting members and elders to work on a special helping thread(s), then soon those who learn to roleplay can join in the "big-time" threads.

Anyone interested?

If you are, or have any other ideas, please add or comment.

Well, speaking from the viewpoint of an RP lover - although not a good one - the best place to start is to jump in. I recomend Rune's story, simply because of the openness of the whole thing.

Other than that, just remember to not control other's char's unless you have permission. Even then, try to stay in character, and act like the other person would.

It could be a good exercise in constructive roleplaying for everyone...

I'm not exactly sure how we could go about doing this though, other than just starting an RP thread and yelling at people until they join...

As for RPing pointers in general, try to watch for what other players are alluding to, and try to go with it to some extent.

As for trying to offer tips... (not to say I've always abided by these things in the past)

Keep in mind what you know about other people's characters as much as you can when writing their reactions to your own character. A character who is typically silent and brooding won't be the one to invite you to join them on an adventure, a greedy character won't offer you gold, An old archmage or an experienced hero won't be impressed by bluff and bravado (though they might pretend to be), but some one who's hardly set foot outside their home village might be, etc.

Remember you're not the only person writing the story. I didn't see it so much at AM and I haven't seen it here, but at... BnG, say, you sometimes get a whole crew of people who are convinced their character is the central focus of the story and everyone else is supporting cast. Try to react to other characters, maybe get involved in one of their personal struggles instead of trying to drag them into one of yours.

Don't power up every two minutes... If you've played computer RPGs before think of there being maybe three character "levels" in the game. Enter with a character at level one, two, or three, depending on what suits the character. Special events or just general improvements over time can take you up a level, but you never go past three. The point of most stories is not for the characters to continually become more powerful. The only story where it was the point that I can think of is Dragon Ball Z, and i don't particularly care for it.

rambling now...

Of course have fun takes precendence over just about everything, the only exception being to respect the other players/writers...

As Tamaranis touched upon, it's about writing a story, only with help from friends, who add interesting twists and plot turns. These elements are what makes a collaborative effort worthwhile; the other involved writers challenge each other, but in a way that adds to the story as a whole, rather than an individual's character. Keep that point in mind, and the rest will come in good time. The story will unfold......

I think this is a good idea Crowgirl. Offline you were talking to me about having threads run with member moderating the acting as a sort of DM. They were suppoed to run for a set amount of time, like a month, and then the DM would wrap the story up. I think this would be a great way for people who haven't roleplayed to get a good start, because the threads will not be long enough to make people afraid of messing them up, and if they get out of control the DM can get them back on track.

I want to try this to see how it works out. I think it'd be great if other people with more RPing experince would maker their own as DM's as well, because it might be fun for both new and experinced members. Hey if it works we get a system going. I'll start one when I get the time.

Great idea!

:raven:

-Nyyark