The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Gwai runs in yelling

Gwaihir

"Ya know rubber chickens can be wiggly. If you wiggle them..." :rubberchicken:

"Heh heh heh..."

*The rubber chicken bites Zool. Fortunately, it's made of rubber.*

"Ouch! You silly chicken! That smarts, even though you're just made of rubber!"

The rubber chicken swung his bulbous rubber head around in a powerful ark, *THWAPP*ing Zool to the side of his large painting, giving him room to wiggle. A funky beat began to thump in the background, which the rubber chicken wiggled to with authority.

Watching the rubber chicken do the wiggle dance, Zool got an idea - due in no small part, no doubt, to the smarting of the rubber chicken's bite with the added smarting of his severe THWAPPing.

"Hey, I have an idea," remarked Zool, with a suitably thoughtful gaze. "What would happen if I crossed a wiggly cabbage with a rubber chicken?"

"I DON'T KNOW, WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF YOU CROSSED A WIGGLY CABBAGE WITH A RUBBER CHICKEN, " shouted the gallery audience."

"I'm not sure," said Zool, "But the eggs from it would sell like hotcakes on Easter, and be real easy to find."

Zool runs into the background of his portrait as it is pelted with rotten fruit, produce and eggs. He is able to escape serious soiling, but not so his painting.

Ah well, all's well that eggs well...

:P

Kasmandre sneaks in wearing safari gear. He whispers into the camera in a bad Austrailian accent.

"Today on 'Wiggly Hunter', we're tracking the wily and elusive wiggly cabbage. Now, a wiggly cabbage is a very dangerous creature, easily the most venomous cabbage in the world."

Kasmandre begins sneaking up on a wiggly cabbage.

"Now, the wiggly cabbage is very easy to spot due to its, um, wiggliness, and its ranbow coloring. Ain't it a 'beaut! Now, I'm just going to sneak up behind this one and wrestle it to the ground."

Kasmandre sneaks a little closer. Unfortunately, it's very hard to tell which end of a wiggly cabbage is the "behind." Kasmandre picked wrong. The wiggly cabbage leaps up onto Kasmandre and they begin to wrestle. Despite the size difference, the cabbage seems to be winning. Kasmandre begins screaming, the fake accent gone.

"AHHHHHHH!!!! Get it off me get it off me get it off me get it off me get it off me get it off me get it off me get it off me get it off me get it off me get it off me get it off me get it off me get it off me get it off me get it off me get it off me get it off me get it off me!!!!! Bill, get my shotgun!!! Bill?"

The camera falls over, giving us a view of Bill running away.

• 3 weeks later...

Peredhil stops and looks at Elvida, and thinks it over.

Yes, I know you're right. Movies such as Animal House, Police Academy, Dumb and Dumber, American Pie - these all tell us that crude humor which appeals to the eight-year-old in all of us, CAN be funny. It can be clever as well.

And there are MANY web sites on the web, in which you can find that sort of humor.

Up to lately, that hasn't been the case here at the Pen. While we enjoy our humor, and occasionally descend into crudity even, the Pen is about nuturing good writing and writers. It's a literary site.

I suppose part of it for me is that I'm basically a gentle person who is very capable at doing violent things. Some types of humor, based on pain or cruelty, just don't appeal to me at all. It lacks word play, a clever twists, syntactic delight. Kas' used literary skills to capture in text a particular dialect, and gently made fun of it using the figure of speach Hyperbole.

I did find that funny.

This is not to slam you, or anyone. This is to communicate MY feelings, MY opinions. In a web site dedicated to writing, I feel open and honest communication is a key component. "An honest answer is the sign of a true friend."

With a bow, Peredhil saunters off.