The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Second Annual Pen Role Call 

Gwaihir

Oyez Oyez! All present, I hearby announce the beginning of the Pen's second annual RoleCall. I'll begin by starting a story for everyone to continue, and all present are asked to post at least once. Feel free to post many times.

In two weeks from today (the first of October) anyone who has not replied will be granted the Weenie Award which denotes inactivity. To buy their title back they will have to write a post about how they are working off their weenieness.

Let the games begin!

The bank was always pretty and sunny, but today it was prettier and sunnier than usual when the snout poked up, inquiring. What is it like out here today, it clearly asked. The rest of the body came up in a hurry though when it saw the feet! Such feet they were too...

Large scaly icky feet. Yet the narrow fluting of the scales made them look hairy from a distance.

Yes, they were indeed the feet of Bagghinssssss, the halfling/lizardman bastard. A notable thief, he lived a wretched life, outcast from all decent society.

Yet in the esurient chest of the lizardling beat an eloquant heart. Plus he always elutriated all the soil from the eleemosynary offerings he caged at the Eleusinian Temple. Obviously not such a bad fellow at all.

At the moment, he stared down from a small height above his feet (all total being somewhat less tall than a short sheep), at the snortling snout protruding from the pond abutting the embankment. It's sensorium experience complete, the snort was followed up, shedding the liquid emulsion to reveal a misshapen head, strangely remininscent of a quaigh. The large-handle ears flapped thrice, spattering drops of water hither and yon, and then azure eyes fixed on Bagghinssssss with a possessively sensual delight.

In a fluting falsetto, the fanged mouth opened to utter,

"Gnomie power?" Edited by: peredhil31 at: 10/1/02 10:15:53 am

Quote: The bank was always pretty and sunny, but today it was prettier and sunnier than usual...

As such, The Big Pointy One and best friend Mr.Bunny were enjoying a leisurely rest on said bank, relaxed and stretched out. The sun was beaming down on them, and everything seemed delightful. Well, except for some sort of buzzing from a bit farther down the river. Apparently some sort of lizard-ling was ...investigating... a snout of some sorts that was in the process of emerging from the river. Knowing that he'd get no more rest today, Stick stood up, stretched a final time and made his way over in the off chance he'd gain some sort of information. BigPointyStick

-----------------

The Trenchcoat Monk

Wielder of the BPS

Companion of Mr.Bunny

"Stand ho, varlet! Thou shalt not take mine bunny!"

Daryl slipped through the brush, low to the ground (well, lower then usual, foxes don’t get that high off the ground anyway...), careful to keep his waving tail low as well, but not low enough to scatter twigs and leaves and give him away with sound. Ahead, his keen nose caught the smell of a small rodent-type creature... the prey of foxes everywhere. Slowly easing through the brush, Daryl breathed deeply once more as he settled into a crouch, preparing to jump.

Brackish water... old wolf smell, the rodent (yum!) and... another wolf, in close proximity to the rodent. Still...

A rumble of hunger from Daryl’s stomach decided him, and he gathered himself up even further, ready to spring. The rodent got closer... closer... closer...

Daryl sprang at the rodent, a blur of red, white and black, that came to a sudden halt as Prospero neatly grabbed Daryl by the scruff of his neck. Instinct made Daryl go limp, and he growled softly as Prospero continued along the trail, now holding a fox companion to complement the strange mouse-like one.

Falcon floated along on a cloud of disbelief, quite happy with his spot in life and making it back in time for the roll call. Unfortunately at that particular moment, gravity cast a dark look in his direction and demanded to know why he was floating. Once Falcon thought about it, he fell. Straight toward the lizardy thing and the snout. Cioden Darkeye

Quill-Bearer - The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Owner of the Reply Raven - Enemy to all those who never post responses

"Oh my God, I'm LEAKING POETRY!"

Guest Lord Seth Exodus

The lord Seth Exodus, enjoying the warmer weather, was walking along the river bank, a book in hand, quite enthralled. Slowly, due to the inclination of the embankment, Seth was walking nearer and nearer the water as he went along. Finally, while still encompassed by his book, Seth sank his patent leather into the cold, scummy water.

"Oh, sod it all! Of all the silly places to put a stream." Though, with his attention taken from his book, Seth noticed all that was happening around him. "Role call? Oh grand!" And he sped off in the direction of a small group forming further down stream.

"What in the name..." was all he could mutter as he came unto the strange gathering. "I say," he began, trying to get someone's attention, and with it, hopefully, some answers.

Seth, however, had come unnoticed, for the most part, and the odd proboscis protruding from the waters gave a startled snort, sending a spray of snot over the bewildered lord.

"Charming," Seth stated sarcastically, stopping dead in his tracks. He took out a hankerchief from his pocket and began to clean himself off, and his splattered spectacles. " A snotty snout, a reptilian mammle, foxes running rampant. What the duece is going on here?" Seth exclaimed.

Casting a glance upward, he saw Falcon floating over head.

"For pity sake! Do we do nothing normally around here," he called up to the levitating man. But before he could get an answer from Falcon, he began to fall like a stone. "I suppose that's my answer right there," he said with a sigh of reignation.

OOc: Gracious! This is going to get worse before it gets better, isn't it? Spectaculare!

Truly,

Lord Seth Exodus

Initiate of The Pen

A short distance away from where the pond creature and the lizard man were regaurding each other with financial interest (at lease so it was for Bagghinssssss... the pond creature I suspect was more interested in breakfast), a wolf with which most of you are familliar was in the difficult process of finding another wolf with which you are likely even more familliar.

Prospero sniffed distastefully at the river bank, sighed and stuck his paw into the scum at the bottom of the first few inches of water.

He lifted it out and inhaled slowly.

Prospero coughed and shook off his paw. He was still on her trail.

He made his way back out of the mud at the river-side and continued to follow the smell of the polluted river. He was quite close to the town now.

Canid may not mind going in, but despite his "anything goes" attitude toward life in general, he had his objections.

Prospero felt a scuffling against his fur and heard a tiny voice say "Stop!"

His pasenger leapt off and stretched. It was an odd looking creature - as were many of Canid's wide-spread friends. It was purple and fuzzy, about the size of a mouse and had floppy ears - it looked altogether like something he might of eaten if he hadn't been full when he found it, but it had marched right up to him and requested the immediate attention of the wolf who had departed three days earlier on a visit to another of her old friends.

The purple thing wanted help remembering something, but had said nothing else.

"You don't have any objection going into a human town do you?" Prospero asked hopefuly.

"Nope." The purple thing climbed back onto his shoulders and Prospero grunted his acceptance of the inevitable before moving on. Edited by: Canid at: 10/2/02 6:52:44 pm

The purple thing felt a muscular jerk as his mount caught something small but heavy in it's mouth. It stuck it's purple fuzzy head up when it heard the light growling.

"I say, is that you making that noise male wolf?" it said, stretching it's neck to get a glimpse of the new passenger.

Having caught a hunting lycanthrope in his mouth, Prospero gave up on continuing along-side the marshy river-bank and found a dry patch before putting Daryl down.

"No it isn't your purple-ness." Prospero sat down, scratched his ear and glared at Daryl. He was not happy, so explanations were in order.

~Elsewhere~

Canid yawned in the warm air. Summer was lovely if you'd been up for several hours before the suncame up. It had made a soothing transition from cool night breeze to fresh day-warmth.

She had left the pond creature for the night so she could find something to eat and having successfully done so, was returning to finish her business with it, it had shown no sign yet of giving up the idle.

'When friends fight...' she thought to herself.

Canid didn't get a chance to groan about the heat as it grew uncomfortable, the sharp jolt of magic to the back of her head knocked her out and she was promptly scooped up into a burlap sack.

Daryl picked himself up from the dirt and shook his fur out as Prospero watched sternly, the strange rodent watching between the wolf’s ears.

“Alright, fox, what’s the meaning of that?” Prospero asked gruffly in Wolf. Somewhat related to the Fox language, wolves and foxes could talk to each other on most subjects.

Daryl yipped and eyed the strange-colored rodent. “I notice you have a rat there... hold still and I’ll get it off of you.” He crouched down and started to circle the wolf, the purple mouse-like creature finally squeaking in consternation as he realized that the fox was attempting to eat him!

Prospero sighed. “You don’t get to eat his purple-ness.” Prospero said, “Canid wants to meet him.”

Daryl stopped and considered this, then sighed as he sat down and curled his tail around his paws. He respected and liked Canid immensely (like most other forest creatures) and wouldn’t go against her wishes. Which left him without prey.

“Now, why were you planning to eat my companion?” Prospero asked.

Daryl looked amused, and he fox-grinned. “Why else? I’m hungry and he smells like food.”

Prospero leaned forward to look Daryl in the face. “Repeat after me...”

They said in unison from long lectures “Even if its tasty prey, if it’s on a mission from Canid, we can’t eat it.”

Daryl sighed, ears drooping in dejection. “You’d have thought she would forgive me for one mouse...”

Prospero sighed. “One deer... and I still get the same lecture every few days.”

The two muttered in unison.

The purple creature spoke up “Canid’s never had to lecture me before... maybe if I ate the wrong nut?” It said hopefully. Daryl glared and Prospero rolled his eyes, then the two sigh again.

“Anyway, where are you going?” Daryl asked, and Prospero pointed towards town with his nose. “That way.”

Daryl considered this, then how much food humans threw out... “I’ll join you.” He decided.

OOC: I do better with characters if they have a gender. I assume male, but I’ll switch to female whenever that becomes clear.

Revery rest queitly on good sized rock near the edge of the bank...Soaking up the sun he observes the goings on around the pond... Still a little phased from the trials of the summer, he sends for fountain to record all the goings on...

A lad but a boy, much always confused, quiet and shy, with nothing to lose... Save small bits of resolve... bled cold behind walls, to quicken and tighten shields forgotton so small...

-Come fountain. Come here and twist your brain around the events of the day, for i am to weary , to weary to play,

And with that revery slips behind a dreamless haze ...

Fountain wakes bally the voice in his head, to recall the procession going round like rev said...

Shimmering green

In spots burning, in some places red...

Bally list toward fun times

Nestled snug in boys head...

-Lo, lo, lo, mates... My some should be fed. A flopple tops purple/dress royal -wolf's head...

And fox fur still grumbles finds scrapes in their stead

Of small tasty purple questing off canid's dread... as bally grows brighter in visons of fright/ forced slumber fogotton carried off through the night...

And fountain pounders whether, whether to wake poor lost rev,

to the rescue? long fogotten, wake castle instead...

Cascading light from all angles... pouring blue fierce then red...

Castle murmers and shimmers, beaming happy-ghost-dead...

Half-resurected... Living walls bend and break forming portals for casting seeing pools

for all sakes...

Archways disolve, and corrdors fall... and waypoints for travel beckon welcome to all...

Bally whistles softy

-only a day from the dead, rev won't be happy...

ghost fortress you bled...

revery

the dreamlost

"lo, lo, lo,"

the dream continues...

Which Colossal Death Robot Are You?Edited by: reverie  at: 10/4/02 4:06:54 pm

Prospero might have done more than grit hit teeth if they had not, on rounding a corner of the river band, come into view of a caotic assembly at the edge of the pond the river entered.

Prospero went down to the river again to check that Canid had indeed gone this way, and finding it so, led the small group to the larger one.

Lord Seth Exodus and the Big Pointy One lay sprawled on the ground underneath a disoriented looking Falcon and a lizard-man stood to the side wringing water out of his clothing. All were wet and none-too happy. Daryl poked Prospero and pointed at a pair of eyes watching the whole thing from the water.

"Hello..." said Prospero to the crowd, though he still looked at the eyes in the water.

There was a threatening hissing noise from something in the vicinity that made those present jump. The purple thing boiled into view, fur standing on end (making it look even more fuzzy) as it stood on Prospero's head and pointed vividly at the pond-creatures eyes in the water, screaming "Theif!!!!" in a voice much louder than one would imagine from such a creature.

~Elsewhere~

Canid was very aware of the silence as she slowly came to. Deep, unearthly silence as the night sky sat overhead in a somewhat diminished brilliance.

Canid could both feel and see the deffensive green aura built up around herself in response to the attack. It wasn't as bright as it should have been.

A searing pain ripped through her as something large and fetid smelling sank it's teeth into her leg. She heard it's yell of anguish as her magic ripped through it and tore it off, then set about healing her... but there were many more of the creatures.

Gwai: Wyvern what is that? You want Deg crossed off the Weenie list? You'd have to pay me to make that happen! You won't? I guess he's still there then! Edited by: gwaihir1 at: 10/4/02 6:18:21 pm

"I'm not on a mission from Canid, I'm on a mission to Canid." Corrected the purple fuzzy thing as they began moving again. "Not that it should make any difference. I think I understand what you were talking about now... hunting. It just didn't jump to mind as one that never hunts."

The fuzzy thing continued to ramble on about various topics with the swift, punctuated sylables of the confident.

"How long have you been travelling with it?" asked Daryl in sympathy.

"2 weeks and 4 days." replied Prospero and the purple thing in unison. The purple thing then added that Prospero was a male and thus should have been reffered to as "him" not "it.

Prospero grit his teeth as Daryl held in a smirk. Edited by: Canid at: 10/4/02 4:26:15 pm

While Celes was sitting on a chair, enjoying the beautiful weather and reading a book, her cats, Carbone and Cambronne, decided that it was time to play. Soon, an lovely looking butterfly flied its way between the two felines, catching their attention immediatly.

Cambronne starts the chase first but was soon followed by the tigered stripped cat, who just wants her piece of the fun too. The butterfly avoids the two feline with a suprising ease each time they tried to claw it.

The colorful insect delicatly lands on Wyvern's overgrown tail, while at the same moment, the black cat leaps toward it, all claws out.

- "YAAAAAAARRRRRGH!!!!!", yells the Elder of the Initiates

Realizing his mistake, Cambronne runs away quickly while his female friend jumps over the soon-to-be-dragon's tail, still chasing the butterfly. The butterfly passes lazilessly passes over Gyrfalcon's head, who was sitting on the ground, enjoying the sunny day. Carbone jumps over the gentleman's head, startling her "obstacle" but Cambronne tramples his way on Gyr's legs.

- "What the?", he exclaimed himself, totally surprised.

Minta Rose is in the process of building the shiniest sand castle to ever be made. It was almost finished and she is putting shells on it. The butterfly lands on the central tower. The female feline, stopped her chase, not knowing if she should step on the sandy thing or not. But Cambronne saw the butterfly and decided that he shoudl catch it. He lands on the castle, making Rydia's work to collapse.

- "WAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!! MY CASTLE!!!!", she cries in despair.

Both cats, scared by the enraged girl ran over their mistress, hiding around her. Celes noticed someone who overshadowed her books and turns around. She sees Wyvern, Gryfalcon and Rydia standing nearby her, all looking upset.

- "Errrrrrr....", hesitates the French-speaking Lady, "Is there any problems?"

- "Well...", starts Gyrfalcon

- "YES!!! THERE IS A PROBLEM!!!", cuts Rydia

- "There's no need to yell.", replied Celes, "I'm not deaf. Can you tell me, one at a time, what is going on?"

Wyvern shows his harmed tail to her.

- "Cambronne did this to me while I was innocently relaxing.", whines the overgrown lizard.

Celes quickly casts an healing spell and the scratches were gone.

- "I apologize about this.", adds the lady mage, "Although I'm surprised he did this."

- "Apoligies accepted", says Wyvern with a smile

- "AND WHAT ABOUT MY CASTLE?", shouts Rydia.

- "Can you show it to me?", asks Celes

Rydia, Celes and Gyrfalcon walks over the destroyed castle.

- "Your nasty black cat did it!", pouts the little girl

- "Oh! I'm sorry if he wasn't careful enough while playing around.", answers Celes with empathy, "Let me fix it for you!"

The Frenchie mumbles a few magical words and suddenly, the crumbled castle turned into a fortress make out of gold sand.

- "OH WOW!!!! THANK YOU!", shouts happily Rydia, "This is the shiniest castle I've ever made!"

Celes turns over Gyrfalcon, wondering about the bard.

- "Oh well.", tells her Gyr, "Your female cat just jumped over my head and your cat walked over my legs but no harm was done. I think they were chasing a butterfly.

- "Hum... a butterfly." thinks Celes, "Oh... Sorry Gyr if they disturbed you."

- "You're all excused, my lady.", nods the bard

Celes walks back over her two felines, who decided to remain quiet for the rest of the day.

Your magical style is Dark.

What type of Magic do you work?. Take the Magical Style Quiz by Paradox

"RODENT!!??" roared the purple thing as Prospero flinched at the volume.

The eyes in the water had dissappeared along with their owner and only ripples in the water remained.

The purple thing realized the offender had escaped and leapt wildly off the wolf to the exact point where the water and ground met, hissing in furry.

Prospero looked miserably up, "I don't know, I don't even know the thing's name, it's just using me as it's horse for purple mice." Prospero whimpered.

Another screaming furied yell came from the spot on the shore where the purple thing stood and as the company turned, they noticed that a huge chunk of ground was flying into the middle of the lake, the spot where it had been, edged in claw marks.

"Did it do that...?" Daryl whispered to Prospero.

Prospero stood and stared silently out at the water. The purple thing turned and walked back.

"I'm not a rodent." it hissed before burrying itself out of site in the wolf's fur.

Gyrfalcon slowly pulled his hands from his ears, followed by Prospero and Daryl. “That little creature sure has a set of lungs on it.” The half-elf observed. Daryl looked up at him and yipped, and Gyrfalcon repeated his comment slightly louder. The wolf and the fox nodded.

They heard another scream of rage, and turned to watch a large boulder that was now in midair, heading for the other end of the lake. It splashed into the lake just short of the opposite shore. Little sides heaving, the purple... not rodent stood, glaring at everyone.

“Did he do that?” Daryl whispered, and Prospero nodded. The creature walked back and Prospero seemed to have to brace himself to not shy away. Gyrfalcon and Daryl, on the other hand (or paw), took several steps back just to be safe.

“I’m not a rodent.” It hissed, glaring specifically at Gyrfalcon, before burrowing into Prospero’s ruff and hiding from sight.

“No, its a bloody psychopath.” Gyrfalcon said very, very softly to Daryl, who nodded vigorously.

Gyrfalcon shook his head and patted Cambronne on the head, receiving a semi-affectionate bite in return. Suddenly, a cry of “THIEF!” rang out, and Gyrfalcon sighed, expecting to turn and see Wyvern trying to make off with Minta’s golden sand castle, which he had been eyeing greedily.

Instead, he was greeted by the sight of as strange a party as he’d ever see. Some small purple creature was standing on the back of a wolf, and sitting by the wolf with the air of someone saying “Me? Me? Metaphorically, I’m ten thousand miles away and I don’t know the people beside Me.” was a fox he knew quite well, as the freeloader was usually curled up on his bed back at the Pen.

“Daryl, what the heck is going on?” Gyrfalcon asked. The fox looked up at him and cocked his head curiously, then yipped a few times.

“You don’t have any idea. Gotcha.” Gyrfalcon said. With a sigh, he sat down by Prospero. “Heya, Prospero. How’s Canid doing? Who’s the rodent, and what’s this about a thief?”

Ok, this has gotten a bit hectic, because I didn't state the instructions I meant. That's my fault, and I apologize, so I'm changing the instructions.

Don't roleplay your checkin just continue the story. Make it surreal make it rediculous, whatever you like just try to leave it so that the next person can continue it. Edited by: gwaihir1 at: 10/6/02 8:39:34 am

By this time Bagghinssssss was already walking away.

"A bank I came to robss, but insssstead A band of foolssses. What Luck!" Bagghinssssss realized just to late he said this aloud. His elliptical eyes widened as he began to run.

His scales rasped against the cobble stones of the trail as panic set in.

Firssst they'll check their empty pocketsess. Then there will be no precioussses. Then they'll catch me, and then, And Then, AND THEN.... Eeek"

"In his worry Bagghinssssss dropped his hairy, ssssscale blemished tail. Although a dead give away of his identity he knew he didn't have the timeses to go get itss." He was narrating aloud again.

Wyvern was the first to notice his empty purse (as that is where his greedy claws were every few seconds). He gave a despaired wail of "My life is gone!" and collapsed into the lake, adding to it's contents.

This caused some confusion until he began to suspiciously and more obviously than even he would have attempted, check people's pockets, thus revealing their lack of contents.

It was quickly decided that thgey would all go after the lizard-man, who was the obvious theif.

Prospero and Daryl stood by the bank and watched them depart.

The purple fuzzy thing was visible again, it seemed much more docile now, the cute and fuzzy creature it had seemed on their first encounter.

At length, it spoke.

"Sorry about that... I lost my temper. Seeing that awful creature in the lake is likely to break the will of any who know what it has done."

Despite questioning, the fuzzy thing rufused to disclose more information, but simply asked that they continue to track Canid.

So they did, and now that she was no longer in the river, it was an easy thing to do. By midday, they had found the spot where her tracks suddenly dissapeared.

"Why have we stopped?" came the confident voice from somewhere in Daryl's fur (Prospero had complained about it giving him a rash).

Prospero sniffed in a circle around the wolf-prints. "The tracks stop, it doesn't make sense..... there's something else over here."

Prospero came out of the building looking determined. "May I speak to Daryl alone Fuzzy?" he asked in a voice that suggested it wasn't a question.

Daryl and Prospero left the fuzzy thing standing alone by the building and moved some distance off before they stopped.

"You know I don't have any magic Daryl, so I can never be sure of these things..." Prospero started, looking uneasy, "but Canid has taught me what can be taught about identifying smells changed with magic. Something took Canid, and I think it is one of those fuzzy things."