The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Pronounciations

Guest Fire Walker

Guest Fire Walker

Just out of curiosity, and for the sake of political corectness, how does everybody pronounce their names?

Fire Walker = FI-er WAH-ker Edited by: Fire Walker at: 6/14/02 10:12:27 am

Main Entry: rev·er·ie

Variant(s): also rev·ery /'re-v&-rE, 'rev-rE/

Function: noun

Inflected Form(s): plural rev·er·ies

Etymology: French rêverie, from Middle French, delirium, from resver, rever to wander, be delirious

Date: 1657

1 : DAYDREAM

2 : the condition of being lost in thought

I respond to both pronounciations... but rev... will do too...

revery

the dreamlost

Guest Lord Seth Exodus

Okay, this may be a little difficult for some of you, so I'll go slow.

Seth Exodus: S-E-TH X-Oh-DUS.

Need that again? Okay...

S-E-TH X-Oh-DUS.

Okay, got it? Good! Better write that down.

-Lord Seth Exodus

Guest Jonathan Wolfe

Jonathan Wolfe

John-ath-an Wool-fe

There. Actually, the only problem people have is they thing my last name is Wolfie... (wrings peoples necks)

A more glutteral form would be Woulfe. Kinda german sounding.

Zool

Zz - htw - eau - ou - aiough - ew - whl - lll

Zz - Like the sizzling promise of a scorching summer day in the cool morning just as the rising sun first peeks over the horizon.

htw - A silent transition from the vibrating promise of the sizzling 'Z' to the immediacy of the memmory of the fulfillment of having lived a compassionate and joyous life as the sight of your loved ones gathered around your death bed blur and fade into a brilliant tunnel of light.

eau - The sound of someone's state of mind at the dawning of understanding of any comic punch line, before the actual thought "I understand", in any form, has formed.

ou - The equivalent (if time was speeded up 10,000 times) unheard mating call of all taxidermalogical specimens.

aiough (silent G, long O )The rushing hash of point radiated cosmic energy tinting space when a star red-shifts as it ages, millenia by ticking millenia.

ew - the collected sound of all the wind that ever whistled over the top of the great pyramid of Giza from it's construction in 2560 BC to it's demise at the hands of three teenagers on a lark with a small nuclear device in 2584 AD.

whl - the sound of a quiet rushing exhalation of the steam from a werewolfes nostrils on a cold moonlit mountain top with the reflection of the moonlight glowing from the unconscious pallor of his young female captive laying before him on the rocks gleaming in his eyes as he prepares to actualize his destructive sensuality.

lll - The sound that preceeded the big bang, but which had to wait for creation to be heard and is now the sound to end all sounds, though usually the sound has decayed to inaudibility before it is manifested. .

The name should be spoken all in one syllable, with invisible transitions between each tonality speaking the entire series of events in a single chest resonating exhaling tounge movement.

Hope that clears things up.

~Zool~

Ancient, The Pen is Mightier than the Sword.

Bard of Terra, Patron Saint of Aspiring Bards.

Elder than dirt, more foolish than a jester, able to trip over the smallest logic in a single step. It's... Oh, you know.

hmm, this could be fun...

The Big Poin-ty One ~or~ Big Poin-ty Stick

The Big Poin-ty One ~or~ Big Poin-ty Stik

Alright, not so fun... hmm... well, let's mix it up then!

Theb- I-gpo-in-ty-o-ne

Thehb- I-~drooling sounds~-in-teye-0(not O)-nee

BigPointyStick

-----------------

Wielder of the BPS

Companion of Mr.Bunny

"I can throw knives!"

Stands and cheers Zool's "Story in every Syllable" guide.

And folks wonder why I love this guy!

Ell - Rahnd Pear - eh - dhil, Thur-tee wun.

-Elrond Peredhil, 31

Ancient of the Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Bard of Terra Gone

Earthbound Angel of Apocolypse

Initiate of the Legion of the White Rose, Order of the Quill

See-yo-den Dark-Ai (Cioden Darkeye)

The rest are fairly self-explanatory.

TRALLA-LA-LA-LA-LA!!! Cioden Darkeye

Quill-Bearer - The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

President of the Peredhil Fan Club

Owner of the Reply Raven - Enemy to all those who never post responses

Ashaman - WoT - Blitz II

Council - The Hunters - Blitz II

Leisure Officer - SFV Ultima - Beta

Wyvern feels a huge migrain coming on as he steps up to the soap box where members have given their pronounciation explanations and fidgets with an overflowing binder of papers he holds in both hands... Clearing his throat and taking a long sip of booze, the overgrown lizard inhales deeply and begins reading from page 1...

The Appropriate Pronounciation of the Name 'Wyvern'

Written by I. M. Tonedeff

Co-authored by Could U. Repeathat

The pronounciation of the name 'Wyvern' has long remained one of the great unsolved mysteries of mankind... Ranking up there with the unknown regions of distant Universes, the realities behind urban folklore, and MARI Telecommunication's ways of thinking, it is a riddle... an enigma... a puzzle which may never be fully pieced together. With this in mind, the purpose of the following documents that I and my associate Could U. Repeathat have spent several years transcribing is to broaden your perspectives on the way this word can be pronounced in order to build your understanding and general affection to these strange syllabels. Now come with me... take my hand, and let us journey through the marvelous and fascinating fantasyscape of pronounciations!

Signed,

I. M. Tonedeff

*Wyvern rapidly flips through the 3 pages that comprise the 'Table of Contents'...*

Part 1: Bibliographical Lizardines, the Dictionary Approach

Let us start our long and hazardous journey at the very heart of human language: the English dictionary. In the American Heritage Dictionary, Wyvern is actually spelt "Wivern" and is pronounced exactly the way it sounds: "Wiv-ern". At the same time, however, online dictionaries spell it both "Wyvern" and "Wivern", and while the pronounciations these internet dictionaries give are similar, they are far from identical. The lesson learned here is that dictionaries are simply unreliable sources of information created by dominant corporations in order to brainwash helpless individuals, but back to the topic at hand... Me and my colleague needed to check several of said dictionaries, and so we took them one by one in alphabetical order of distributer...

*Wyvern grumbles and coughs, fumbling with his binder and flipping through the pages to find more interesting parts...*

Part 2: Of Wyverns and Men, Pronounciation by the People

... Yet the pronounciation of the name "Wyvern" is not limited to the dictionary... Different people from different cultures and societies take and pronounce the word in several unique and distinguished ways. Here are a number of examples that we found through extensive research:

-The Western World pronounces it 'Why-vern"

-The Northerners pronounce it "Wiv-ehrn"

-Fellow lizards pronounce it "Hsss-hissssss"

-Tax agencies pronounce it "Tar-get Num-ber Won"

*Deciding that he'd rather not read how restaurant clerks and sensible women pronounce his name, Wyvern decides to flip through numerous pages and cut to the chase...*

... In conclusion, the pronounciation of the name Wyvern is, and will always be, somewhat of a mystery... yet don't let this ruin your pronunciation lives! Be creative, and find your own way of pronouncing the name. Become your own pronunciation individual! Live life free of those bothersome codes that harness your sense of syllabel structure! Find happiness in the way you speak, for then and only then will you be able to find the true meaning of your pronunciation life!

Pee-se bee wi-th U

I. M. Tonedeff

Note from the Co-author: please excuse my colleague's rantings... reading one too many dictionaries can do that to a guy. The truth is, there is no definite answer to the appropriate way to pronounce the name "Wyvern". We apologize for the inconvenience...

With that, Wyvern shuts the huge binder and tosses it to the side, shrugging and grumbling to himself as he wanders off the soap box to get some grub...

[image]http://members.shaw.ca/kea/am/wyvy.jpg[/image]

------------------------------

Almost a Dragon...

"My life is one big crime, I try to scheme through it." -Common, "The 6th Sense"

Owner of the Decanter of Endless Booze.

Edited by: Wyvern00  at: 6/17/02 2:53:56 am

: Some people have too much time on their hands. *coughZoolandWyverncough*

Watasi wa Temae Yui desu. Hajimemasita. Kore wa namae o kuru:

'teh-MAH-eh YOO-ee'

*grins* In English, of course, the family name is written after the given name, so... Yui Temae. Of course, my friends and colleagues are free to call me Yui -chan, instead.

'yooee-CHAA(n)'

I think I should spare you all the details of correct Japanese pronunciation, and so ... Mata asita.

*waves and wanders away*

Guest Kasmandre

The name Kasmandre can be broken down by its representative syllables to not only provide a greater understanding of how to actually pronounce the great one's name, but also to create a vision of the personality behind the man. By this method, we can come to a greater understanding and love of our fine friend (and if you don't consider me a friend, you should!).

So, without further ado...

Kas: pronounced K-ah-z: The first syllable of the name Kasmandre, it is also the most complex. It can be broken into three smaller parts, or sub-syllables if you will. Each of these three sub-syllables form a portion of a continuous whole, enveloping the reaction entire to Kasmandre:

- K: As hard sound, the initial K sound has fooled many into believing that Kasmandre is a cruel individual. This is not so. As the K is in the beginning of the name, the hardness and cruelty are at the beginning of the man and are already long past. Although the sound takes but an instant, a minute fraction of a second, really, the impression it leaves lasts a while. Unfortunate, really, when you consider the beautiful sounds (and portions of personality) to come:

- ah: Ah. The sound of relief. The sound of the listener coming to know that Kasmandre is actually a fine fellow and a great person.

- s: The sound of boiling water. Because water would boil on Kasmandre, because he is hot hot hot! This sound is most readily recognized by the females of just about any species (this sometimes causing embarrassing problems) as they realize that Kasmandre is one sexy dude.

man: pronounced m-ah-n: The accented syllable, man is arguably the most important syllable of Kasmandre's name. So it is fitting that this syllable verifies that Kasmandre is, most definately, a man. And what a man. The pronounciation is not that of the western "man" but that of a more Austrian "man". Much like Arnold Swzwartzeneger (yeah, I know I butchered the name) would pronounce it. This proves without a shadow of a doubt (at least as far as pronunciation is concerned) that Kasmandre is one manly man.

dre: pronounced dr-ay: The most obvious association one makes with this syllable is realating it to that of Dr. Dre, the famous rapper. This is most fortunate, as Kasmandre is at least as cool as Dr. Dre, and some might argue that he is many, many times cooler. A small note on the pronunciation though: properly pronounced, the r in the "dre" syllable is rolled slightly, as per the Romantic "rr", only done very slightly, almost subconciously. This adds the slight air of refinement that completes Kasmandre.

So, in conclusion, Kasmandre is pronounced kahz-MAHN-dre. --------------

Kasmandre

Initiate of the Pen

Resident of the Old North Tower

So that's how you say your name! And to think all this time I've been pronouncing it 'Fred'.

Hey! You ARE one sexy man! *Shouts* Orlan, you got competition!

Of course, Orlan is 'sexy sexy', while you are just 'sexy'. Still...

*Zool just stands and stares in amazement at the manliness before him.*

By the way, have you seen my thing? It's got a lot of mileage, but it still has plenty of pep! Here, take a look...

*Zool produces a picture of a battered multicolored volkswagon.*

Boom-tish!

;p ~Zool~

Ancient, The Pen is Mightier than the Sword.

Bard of Terra, Patron Saint of Aspiring Bards.

Elder than dirt, more foolish than a jester, able to trip over the smallest logic in a single step. It's... Oh, you know.