The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Werewolf III - sign up & ooc thread

Tanuchan

Edit: see this post for details on theme and sign-up.

Well.. this is not a sign-up thread, not yet at least. I'm just curious to know how many would be interested in participating in a Lord of the Rings-themed werewolf.

Where it came from: old game I modded eight years ago: "Wolf of the Rings" (and ooc thread)

Setting: Lord of the Rings (the book - sorry, dislike the movies to an extreme); as that first game used as background the events from Rivendell to the Battle of Helm's Deep, the tentative idea is to take this from that point on. However, if more interesting I'm open to using the same background of the first game.

I'd like to use again the same variation of rules, but for that it needs a minimum number of players. So, my interest in knowing how many I might have if I decide to throw that theme in again.

This is not yet a commitment - I really want a certain number of players before daring the theme again, and still need to think how to deal with the events. But it's a... sort of poll :P

Comments welcome. If this turns really into a game, I'll just transform this thread into an official sign-up.

~Tanny

P.S. Same slow-paced game as the previous and current ones in this 'reset'!

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, I've decided to risk modding this game :P But the setting, while still in Middle-Earth and related to The Lord of the Rings, is not following any particular event in either LotR or the Hobbit. It'll be actually placed in some time between those two books, and the Quest is actually each one's - seek the One Ring, one of the Three, the Seven, or the Nine, the counsel of the Wise, or just plain Adventure. There will be a background theme running of someone(s) actually searching the whereabouts of the One Ring, but they can be NPCs if none cares to have that as a personal reason for their character to join the party.

To make it clear: I'm using the world (and the geography), the mythology (and the tales in Tolkien's books), and the races (and everything in the Middle Earth at the end of the Third Age) as background and motif. The rest is up to you.

If you're still willing to play - please, confirm sign-up and think of a character.

Only restrictions I'm placing:

• no character from Tolkien's books (they might appear as NPCs in modding posts), though yours can be based on them.
  • any race can be used, except wizards (there were only five who ever came to ME, and all of them are accounted for :P No Gandalf clone, please)

Who you can be, if you need to refresh your memory:

• men ('lesser men', common people)
  • rangers of the North (Dunedain, Men of Westernesse, the last remnants in the North)
  • rangers of the South or men of Gondor; included here are the allies, e.g. from Dol Amroth
  • Rohirrim (rider of Rohan)
  • elves (no pointed ears, please... :innocent:)
  • dwarves (yes, Tolkien's spelling here for me!)
  • hobbits
  • ents (why not? they are able to talk and walk, after all! Just reminding you that they're all males)
  • renegades are okay, but be careful... (orc, half-orc, men from the East that allied themselves to Sauron...)
  • if I missed something, I'm sure you'll remind me :P

No knowledge of the Tolkien universe is needed; I'll just use that as a background for your actions and the story thread...

Note: the game still depends on a certain number of players. I might use Kitty's variation from the first game if needed to boost the numbers.

I'll try.

Character: Grimnath, Rider of Rohan.

Weapons: Lance, long sword, knife.

Equipment: Horse, saddle & gear, Saddlebags, whetstone, food, leather bottle: liquor, two leather bags: water.

From East Emnet, Riders of the 3rd Mark. After the Necromancer was driven from Dol Guldur, a disturbing number of evil creatures began appearing in the lands of Rohan, orcs, wolves, goblins, etc. Grimnath has spent several years guarding and fighting them. He has a passionate hatred of orcs, since losing a Herd Lord (alpha male horse) to a party, who trapped and took the black horse away across the Great River. The 3rd Mark riders used to range up into the Wold, and all over the East Emnet, but now have withdrawn with the herds to West Emnet.

Grimnath has grown bored and angry at the defensive move, and received leave from Theoden to travel across the Fords of Isen, through the Gap of Rohan, along the old North-South Road through Enedwaith. He forded the Grayflood at Thurbad, where he and his steed, Glaneor, spent some time resting and replenishing supplies. Traveling through Eriador, he took the Greenway toward Bree rather than continuing on to the Shire.

He is now in Bree. He's basically adventuring and has wanderlust, yet always seeking Orcs to kill. He's far from Rohan, and willing to travel with a party, for safety in numbers or as a mercenary guard, but would prefer a path that went East or South, as he misses the warmth of Rohan's climate.

If the party plans on traveling through Moria, he will have to leave the party there, as he will not abandon Glaneor, and horses will not enter the Black Pit.

If it helps people, here's a useful link to an interactive map:

http://lotrproject.com/map/#zoom=4&lat=-1270.25&lon=1188.5&layers=BTTTTTTTT

My brain short-circuited at some point while writing the 'teaser' (intro post)... I had stated here that the game is to take place sometime between the two books (The Hobbit and LotR), but my teaser post put it between events in the first two chapters of the LotR. Just noticed it last night :P I've edited the teaser post to reflect the setting I intended.

Apologies for the confusion!

For those who aren't sure what I'm talking about, nevermind me! That 'detail' is mostly important for those who know the books well and want to remain (relatively) close to it; as I've stated, it's not important whether you know the background or not, since I'll be taking care of them in a way that you don't necessarily have to worry about it.

Law: I think your character/backstory still works, since the Necromancer was driven out from Dol Guldur soon after the Ring was found. Your character could have asked leave from Theoden or Thengel his father, depending whether you want to place the story in the first or second half of the ~60 years between the two 'milestone events' that bracket the game background (Theoden works fine, btw - I can work with it; have to check Balin's time in Moria).

Does this help? Is it enough detail? Too much?

Third Age(TA) 2460, Sauron returns to Dol Guldur.

TA July 1st, 2941, Bilbo meets Gollum, and finds the One Ring.

TA May 1st, 2942, Sauron was driven from Dol Guldur, and escapes to Mordor.

TA 2951, Sauron reveals himself in Mordor, and begins rebuilding Barad-dur.

TA Nov 10th, 2994, Balin Lord of Moria is slain.

TA Sep 22, 3001, Bilbo's birthday party; Frodo receives the One Ring, Bilbo leaves the Shire.

Does this help? Is it enough detail? Too much?

Third Age(TA) 2460, Sauron returns to Dol Guldur.

TA July 1st, 2941, Bilbo meets Gollum, and finds the One Ring.

TA May 1st, 2942, Sauron was driven from Dol Guldur, and escapes to Mordor.

TA 2951, Sauron reveals himself in Mordor, and begins rebuilding Barad-dur.

TA Nov 10th, 2994, Balin Lord of Moria is slain.

TA Sep 22, 3001, Bilbo's birthday party; Frodo receives the One Ring, Bilbo leaves the Shire.

*giggles* it helps me (I was only missing Balin, didn't have the time to look for the Dwarves' timeline). I think it'll daunt any other player :P

Thank you :)

Tibbs was once someone different, a man with a past he no longer even mentions. All the people of Bree know is that as long as most of them have lived Tibbs has sat in the same corner of the Prancing Pony, nursing the same cracked wooden tankard which was only occasionally refilled. How he had lived for so long and where he got the money for all he drinks, only very few know, and they never come to visit...

In reality Tibbs is one of the Dunedaìn, a ranger of the North, a man broken by the death of his wife about a century ago. He's probably about 150-160, but for a Dunedaìn, looks older, after decades of abuse through alcohol. He is by no means rich, but unbeknownst to him, his former companions still take care of him, leaving regular payments for his room at the inn.

So, sorry for the sudden vanishing act. I've had some busy days....

Just confirming I'm still interested in running this game, but currently I'd need more players. So, if someone else is interested in modding a game meanwhile, with a less daunting theme, please just let me know!

Currently confirmed players:

Mynx - character to come

Peredhil - Grimnath, Rider of Rohan (info on the Riders of Rohan here)

Patrick - Tibbs, a man without a past, former Ranger of the North (info: Rangers of the North here; Dúnedain, here.)

Azuran - character to come

Edited to add Azuran ;-)

Edited by Tanuchan

• 4 weeks later...

Whoops - I was going to play too! The theme is indeed quite... intimidating :-)

Allow me to introduce Soido Topleaf... at least if we can find him.

Soido?

Soido, get over here! It's not as if these people are going to eat you!

*snickers*

That scrawny little guy coming out of hiding there would be him. The poor guy inherited the family butchery about three weeks ago. Too bad he can't stand the sight or smell of blood. Makes him nauseous at best, unconscious at worst. Not the bravest, but rather eager to leave the business in his wife's more than capable hands. She's good with a cleaver. Really good.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know I've been buried under RL of late, and I think the Wolf is in the same boat...

UPDATE:

Tanny is too busy to mod right now; she said to put this on hold and someone else can start up a game if they'd like :)

Edited by Mynx

• 1 month later...

Sorry for vanishing. I'm still too busy to mod anything (actually I barely have time to breathe most of days...) but slowly I might have time to participate in something that goes slow-paced enough. RL is truly a pain sometimes :P

I'll ressurrect this thread if there's interest later, but it'll be a couple of months before vacations and some free time...