The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

hello, new here :)

heloooooo :)

I'm Meg

as my name suggests, an "authorwannabe" :)

I enjoy writing poetry, and usually start some books (never really finish... *sniffle*)

thats about it :P

meg

x

Welcome.

As you've found, the Cabaret is a great place for a social thread like this. Your short story in Library would prolly do better in the Assembly Room, if you want feedback, since the Library is for works archived here but written for other sites. Fortunately our ever-clever Quincunx found a way around it to give you feedback anyway. Side note - you might want to set your feedback level in your profile. The Banquet Hall has a sticky explaining the different levels, and it's in the Walls of the Pen Keep too if I'm not too senile.

The Banquet Hall is for poetic works. The Recruiter's Hall is where the Elder Wyvern hatches schemes and accepts applications.

Most of all, have fun.

Welcome, welcome! :)

I hope you'll stay shall be a pleasurable one. Peredhil seems to have taken care of all explanations, so I'll just say that if you encounter any technical issues while using the site, I'm the one to turn to. I'm the geek (should that be the geekest?) of the bunch. ;)

Be very welcome :)

I see Peredhil and Patrick have taken care of the explanations... so I'll just welcome you! Banquet Hall will be eagerly awaiting your poetry, and if you like a bit of role-play there's the Conservatory (I think there's a couple RP open for anyone right now). Any doubts you have, you can always ask any of us around here, by thread or PM.

Oh, I'm (one of) the resident wolf shapechangers... and depending on who you ask, either an evil or a mischievous troublemaker :P

I hope you enjoy your stay!

Suddenly a cloud of dust billowed down from above, causing all in the room to cough and fan the air. Looking up at the wall could be seen a glowing crack through the dust and cobwebs of many years of parties and housecleaning neglect. The rift trembled, and widened, spilling out an intense light in the ever expanding dust, then an enormous sheet of the grime split apart and fell to the floor, revealing... The Portrait of Zool!

*Cough! Cough! Cough!* "I'm..." *Rasppp* "...Very glad..." *Aaah-CHOO!* "...to make your acquaintance, little Lady." Zool swept forward in an a regal bow, doffing his toupee, only to be completely overcome by a coughing and sneezing fit of epic proportions. After some time, he finally lay finished in a crumbled heap at the bottom of his portrait frame. "My goodness," he said, blowing his nose then wiping his brow with the same hanky, "can we get Melba or SOMEBODY to clean this room once in a while? I go for a few centuries, and you'd think the place was abandoned."

After regaining his feet, he looked back down at the newcomer, this time giving a polite nod. "At any rate, Authorwannabe, Welcome! I see others have welcomed you with some of the more technical details, but I would like to remind you that the Pen is a place of mystery and imagination..."

As the enormous painting spoke, the portrait of Zool standing in the center just as you or I would in the real world, suddenly the canvas clouded over in a solid gray. When the picture cleared again, Authorwannabe saw herself, as in a mirror, reflected back down from high on the wall. "In imagination we can do or be whatever we want," said Zool's disembodied voice, narrating the changes in the canvas, for now it showed...

An enormous red dragon menacing the young newcomer! She was dressed in shining armor, an enormous sword and shield in her hands. The dragon screamed, and spewed a jet of flames, prismatically reflected in brilliant hues on Authorwannabe's polished armor as it roared over her head. Rather than fight the dragon, however, she dropped the sword and shield, and produced from a pouch a small red jewel, which she held high to catch the light. The dragon stopped his bellowing as if he had been skewered, then bowed down to Authorwannabee, who placed the jewel in the middle of his massive armored forehead, just above the eyes. The dragon then touched his head to the ground at her feet.

The scene faded to black, then points of light began piercing the inky blackness, sprayed in random patterns... Deep space took shape, the magic canvas giving it an eery dimension and rawness that threatened to pull all the onlookers in, to fall forever into eternity...

The scene changed again, suddenly opening into a deeper blackness, a more dynamic dimension, even rawer energies. luminous strands of energy stretched in fantastical and impossible directions, everything glowed with it's own internal light - the astral realms.

This too threatened to suck the observers in, but as they leaned forward the image cleared - and there stood Zool again. The onlookers immediately stood back.

"Let your self do or be whatever you can dream, Authorwannabe, for that is what the Pen is for, that is why the Pen exists." Zool bowed again, but stopped down low, close to Authorwannabe's ear. "Pssst... Just one thing... If a certain Almost Dragon named 'Wyvern' comes around, DON'T BELIEVE A THING HE SAYS. He'll try to sell you something, or worse, sell YOU for something - but just remember, he'll do ANYTHING for a smile." ;)

Until we meet again...

authorwannabe smiled at the portrait of zool.

"I thought I heard someone telling me to come here" she giggled, whilst navigating her way around, trying to find a duster. "it isnt too dusty here, but I will give it a clean for the laugh of it" she grinned.

hmmmm right, ok. im gonna go have a ponder around then :D better make an application for a character.... do we do that? im not sure. haha xD

... better make an application for a character.... do we do that? im not sure...

Zool awoke from his nap with a straw hat over his face. Bright sunshine shone down on the figure of the portrait from above. He was fully reclined in a foldable beach chaise lounge chair, a brilliant old fashioned long red and white striped swimsuit adorning his lanky frame. He sat up, letting the hat fall to the sand beneath the chair, revealing thick white paste daubed all over his nose. A heavy black pair of Ray-ban sun glasses rested squarely about two thirds the way up Matt.

"Huh... what... What!? Oh, it's you..." Without looking Zool grabbed a tall frosty glass on the sand next to the lounge and lifted it for a drink. The top was covered with an explosion of diced fruit, umbrellas, flowers, and a big colorful fake butterfly. Reaching for the straw he nearly poked his eye out with the end of a blooming Bird-of-paradise, but managed to maneuver it for a safe and satisfying slurp just in time. As he set the glass back down the butterfly flew away.

"Say! I like what you've done with the place Authorwannabe! The dust is much better - and much appreciated - you're hired! ;) Speaking of which, no, you don't need to apply for a character. You can make up any character you want - just start posting 'as' him/her! The application is much easier than that - just post any original work in the Recruiter's office, and then you can rest secure in the knowledge you are something other than a guest."

Zool lay back and dropped the hat back over his face. "Till then, I am just gonna catch a little more of that nap. Ahhhhh." :)

Edited by The Portrait of Zool

Is it just me, or are we getting uplighting from Zool's portrait? Not the most flattering light.

(Rydia picks up Zool and hangs him back on the wall, and her horrible, vicious, spike-like ear shadows go away. The ears remain long, though.)

heloooooo :)

I'm Meg

as my name suggests, an "authorwannabe" :)

I enjoy writing poetry, and usually start some books (never really finish... *sniffle*)

thats about it :P

meg

x

Allo, and bienvenidos.

My sympathies, too; those sound rather like my own writing habits. :P

A hunched figure hooded in a dark cloak slowly slithers his way up to authorwannabe, his scaled wings and tail dispelling any sense of mystery his costume may have been attempting to convey. The figure looks both ways, then raises a claw to authorwannabe's ear and hisses:

"Pssssssssssssssssst." The hooded figure moves in slightly closer, shifting a wing over the back of authorwannabe's head to heighten the false sense of privacy. "Jusssst between you and me, don't trust the Portrait... I hear he was painted by a mad artist in-between artistic phases, and that his rubber chicken slowly drove him to clucking insanity. Here."

The hunched figure extends a ragged grey sheet, with spots of mold dotting it and a scent of decay lingering about it. Authorwannabe twists her nose and half-pokes at the rags, very much not wanting to hold them.

"It's an Almost Dragonic Brand Borrowed Specter Sheet Painting Cover™. For protection, in case the Portrait ssstarts giving you trouble." The hunched figure drops the specter sheet at authorwannabe's feet when he notices her hesitation, turning his head briefly as if suspecting a surprise attack. "Just hang on to it for now. No specters will haunt you about it during the daytime, honessst. You can pay me the 300 geld for renting it later."

The shady figure turns to leave before authorwannabe can so much as register a complaint, but stops short as he suddenly remembers something.

"Oh by the way, here'sss my card." The hooded almost dragon hands authorwannabe a card with the word "WYVERN" scrawled on it in a jagged, child-like red crayon font. "That'sss 5 geld, by the way."

Alas, the spectre of being underlit had not yet been banished, for as Rydia adjusted Zool's frame (one ear leveled parallel to the floor, the other tracking one of the upper corners of the frame), a gnomie glow rod cast changing, soothing colors. "Ding-dong, wiggly-wong, polling song!" Minta squeaked, as Rydia's skin looked rather night-elf-ish from the flickering light, and "Ding-dong, wiggly-wong, polling song!" as she skipped out of the corridor, on a long loop back towards the polling station. "Ooo, that's catchy," Rydia murmured to herself, tapping the frame back to level. . .