The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Life Question # 20

Salinye

HELLO! Have you missed me and my silly life questions that give us snapshots into your minds??? (warped or otherwise!)

For those of those not familiar with the life questions that I used to do starting in 2003, you can find a consolidated list of them here!

So, now for the new question, highly appropriate for this forum...

*rules of this life question:* Please don't choose a religious text that is not considered fiction by other people as this will only lead down a road that is not uplifting for anyone.*

If you could suddenly find out that one work of fiction was actually true, what book would you select? Also, why? What is appealing about that particular peice being real?

Ready....Set...GO!

~Salinye :fairy:

Edited by Salinye

Tolkien's Middle Earth...

Why? Because McDonald's Curdie and the goblins was grand, Howard Pyle was my man, CS Lewis taught me the not all lions may be tamed, while Mythologies showed gods could be maimed.

But Tolkien gave me High Fantasy, Romance, adventure, and epic coherent legends all in one place. I'd love to live in Middle Earth if I could...

Mercedes Lackey's SERRAted Edge series from her Elves on the Road universe.

Even if I wasn't one of the lucky ones who turned out to be able to use magic and meet elves and other such adventures, knowing it was out there and possibly meeting those who could do it for real would just be incredible beyond measure.

Naturally I'd prefer to be one of those who could do the magic. :)

As a kid, I used to dream of living on Pern in Anne McCaffrey's "Dragon Rider Saga" or even better in a future earth and other worlds in her "Pegasus / Rowan" chronicle. David Eddings also had a say in those dreams as well to a lesser degree.

Why? Had a bad childhood. Oh it wasn't terrible, and my god it could have been much much worse, but for a time I needed an escape and the local library kind of kept me going for a few years. This is way before I had access to the internet (like back in the Prodigy days) or even figured out that I could write period.

Now it would be nice if Piers Anthony's Incarnations of Immortality and Neil Gaiman's "Endless" from the Sandman could come to be at the same time. Think of the possibilities.

Edited by reverie

I could definitely get by in any of the worlds you just listed Rev.

Life after being sucked into a fictional universe would be pretty sweet.

While I'm thinking about it, there have been days where I wish we lived in some of Alan Dean Foster's universes. I was re-reading Sentenced to Prism the other week and once you got past the difficulties involved in living on a world that pretty much destroys the unwary human life form without thinking twice, that too would be an amazing world to live in.

There are a number of books that have been written about people entering other worlds, often through the medium of books, possibly the best examples being Myst and The Neverending Story. I can't count the number of times as a kid (and more recently) I've wished that would happen to me.

I'm still trying to decide which book I would pick. the problem I'm running into is that any of teh books that have fantastic things I wish were real, also contain horrific things I'm glad are not! Opposition in all things and what not.

Hmmmmm....I'll get back to you.

~Salinye :fairy:

Hmm... I'm tempted to say the world of Xanth - oh yes, I was addicted! It would be interesting, that's for sure, living in a world of magic.

I think it would be even more interesting to live in the world of Robert Heinlein. Any of his books - Stranger in a Strange Land, Methuselah's Children, Time Enough For Love - all occurred in the same universe AND in his book Number of the Beast he actually had a device invented that could go to ANY fictional universe - how do you beat that! FOr example, in the same book, he actually had his characters visit the land of Oz...

:sorcerer:

The Difference Engine by William Gibson and Bruce Sterling.

The reason being is that for a long time I could never decided whether, if given the chance, I would travel back in time to a simpler era devoid of technology. I had always been torn between my love of the technological and my desire to live during an more archaic era. Discovering the genre of Steampunk solved this problem. A Victorian world, full of class struggle, exploration, and strife mixed with a burgeoning new technology with seemingly limitless possibilities. Thus the issue was resolved; I would give anything to go back to a time that never was...