The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

The Mighty Pen "Narratives"

Wyvern

Alright... So this project has been in the works for quite a while now, but I finally feel that I have enough of a base to publically announce it here. The Mighty Pen "Narratives" is the latest mix CD from Almost Draconic Recordings, which is home to such mix projects as "Poetic Justice" and "The Chronicles of Terra." This time around, the mix is a collection of diverse story tracks, with each song telling a different story. This compilation is going to be VERY different than my past mixes, however, as this time around the tracks are all chosen by different members of the Pen. :-D

Now, I'm sure the prospect of this project sets off warning alarms in at least a few of your heads. Rightfully so. After all, there's a lot less certainty when it comes to compiling a mix CD of tracks chosen by others rather than a mix where you choose everything yourself. For starters, there's no telling if anyone will actually contribute to it after its announced. Throw in the rather inactive state of the Pen boards at the moment, and you've got a serious problem. Furthermore, even if people do end up contributing to it, the mix is likely to sound like a mess, with a bunch of random songs that don't work together to form a cohesive whole. To these worries, I answer: don't sweat it! Wyvern's got you covered, baby.

This project has gone through a bunch of different phases over a long period of time. Initially, I thought it would be neat to just get a bunch of tracks from a bunch of pennites and slam them together on a mix. I went so far as to actually start collecting random tracks from different Pen people before I realized that the project was kind of unfufilling and abandoned the idea. Eventually, the project reemerged with this story theme and a couple of extra rules attached. I started collecting selections of three or more tracks from people to choose from while strictly adhering to the storytelling aspect of it. And once I started getting into the groove of requesting tracks, The Mighty Pen "Narratives" mix slowly began to take shape.

I now feel that it's safe to publically announce the project, as even if nobody contributes to it after this announcement, I still have enough story tracks from different pennites to make a very solid mix CD. I currently have submissions of three or more tracks from Appy, The Big Pointy One, Canid, Gwaihir, Happybuddha, Kikuyu Black Paws, Merelas, Mira, Patrick, Peredhil, Tralla, Venefyxatu, Whisky in Babylon, Wrenwind, The Portrait of Zool, and myself. That's about 58 songs from pennites in my iTunes Library - certainly enough to make a mix with.

Having said this, I would now like to open the sending of story track submissions to the general Pen public. You can read the rules about sending me the story tracks below. Please note, however, that just because you submit three or more tracks to me does NOT necessarily mean that you'll end up having a track on the mix CD - this goes for the people listed above who have already submitted tracks to me as well (I'll probably contact you soon if I cant use any of your tracks). I'm being extra-picky about story tracks fitting within the larger context of the mix, so please don't take it personally if your song selections don't make it on there... I've gotten a number of excellent tracks that I can't use as they don't fit what I'm aiming for, and I can only include so many tracks for purposes of time. Having said this, the more submissions I recieve, the more cohesive the project will be as a whole when it's finished. That, and I always love hearing the musical tastes of other pennites, regardless of whether or not I end up including the tracks. :) So please, send your submissions! I'm already considering the possibility of a side project with tracks from people who submitted songs but didn't get included on The Mighty Pen "Narratives"... might be called the "Epilogue EP" or something like that. Anyway, read the guidelines below and holla 'atcha boy!

---

Guidelines for Submitting tracks to Wyvern for The Mighty Pen "Narratives" mix CD:

1.) All of the tracks submitted must tell a cohesive story in English (sorry, Euro heads!). Each of the tracks must be a seperate story - no three-part stories spread over three songs, please. Also, the story must be told vocally - instrumental pieces that tell a story through their music unfortunately won't be considered.

2.) You must submit a minimum of three story tracks if you'd like to participate, though you can submit as many story tracks as you want. Keep in mind, however, that I may eventually be choosing ONE of these tracks for the "Narratives" mix, so the larger the selection you give me the less chance you'll have on getting a specific track. Also, please remember that I unfortunately cannot include everyone's selections, regardless of how many tracks are submitted and how good the stories are... I may host a side project later that incorporates them if they aren't used for this, however. :-)

3) Each of the story tracks must be under 8 minutes long.

4) Please avoid sending me tracks by artists that have had a huge influence on generations of musicians. Some examples of such artists would be: Bob Dylan, the Beatles, Johnny Cash, Led Zeppelin, etc. They're some truly great song writers, but would feel out of place in the context of this mix (and besides, it's a lot more fun to expose other pennites to musicians they may not have heard of!).

5) You can send me the tracks through http://www.yousendit.com using elitwack(at)gmail(dot)com as the e-mail address to send them to, or you can attach the tracks as e-mail attachments and send them to that e-mail address. You can also get them to me by other means, but I need to have the tracks on my computer as MP3 or m4a files before I can consider any of your selections.

6) All submissions must be sent to me by August 14th 2007, at which point I'll close this to submissions and move on to the next stage of the project.

---

That's about it. The songs can be any genre or style of music you desire... I look forward to hearing new things from some more of you pennites. :-)

On a side note: there will be no contest for this mix after it's finished. Instead, I'm planning on distributing it digitally with cover artwork and hosting it as a downloadable .zip file on the Pen, so that everyone can have access to it. :) More on that later.

• 3 weeks later...

Posted Image

Cover artwork by Susan Stevens, with additional cropping and lettering by yours truly. "Mightier than the Sword" illustration used with Susan Steven's permission.

An additional reminder to folks that I'm still searching for new submissions from pennites for this compilation... I've received nothing since the public announcement of this project. If there's a pennite who you'd like to hear a story track selection from that hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet, I would recommend PMing that person, expressing your interest in their choices of tracks, and directing them to this thread. My deadline for receiving submissions is still set to August 14th until otherwise noted. Please post in this thread or send me a PM if you have any questions concerning the submission guidelines.

With that, Wyvern flaps his wings and strikes a bow, leaning back against a Cabaret coffee table and twiddling his claws in anticipation. The overgrown lizard hisses something about appreciating any and all submissions, then reaches for a nearby coffee mug and begins scanning the room for potential Bruteweiser repositories...

Ooh I really like that cover!

Come on people, browse through that music collection I know you all have and find something for this project. Took me some time to find some aswell, but if I can, so can you! ^_^

• 3 weeks later...

Wyvern slithers his way into the Cabaret Room and raises a bullhorn to his snout.

"I'm guessssin' that folks were already aware of the deadline date, but this is just a heads up to let everyone know that submissionsss to the Mighty Pen "Narratives" are now officially CLOSED. Didn't really receive as many submissions as I was hoping for, but assss I mentioned earlier, I still have enough to twist together a nice compilation. A big thanksss to everyone who submitted a selection of tracks, regardless of whether they end up on the final mix or not. I'll be PMin' sssome of you soon. Everyone should be on the lookout for the finalized "Narratives" compilation at sssome point in September."

With that, Wyvern drops the bullhorn and sets about setting a proper add campaign involving Almost Dragonic Brand Carpet Chalk™ (not enough air time in these wings for flyers, I'm afraid)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ladies and gents,

After over a year in the making, Almost Draconic Recordings proudly presents to you The Mighty Pen "Narratives," a compilation of story tracks selected by a wide variety of pennites which flows smoothly from front to back, both musically and conceptually. This thing has been a real struggle to make, but I couldn't be prouder of the end result, and I hope that you feel the same way. It is now available for free download, along with the cover artwork and lyrics. The lyrics document also features thoughts about each of the tracks, both from myself and from a number of the people who selected the tracks. I couldn't get each person's thoughts on the tracks they selected since absences do occur, but I'm planning on archiving the lyrics and thoughts in the Library so that people who were missed can add their thoughts at anytime. Anyway, without further ado...

The Mighty Pen "Narratives"

1) Coven "One Tin Soldier" (chosen by Peredhil)

2) Dana Lyons "Cows with Guns" (chosen by Venefyxatu)

3) Dispatch "The General" (chosen by Merelas)

4) Sublime "Date Rape" (chosen by Appy)

5) The World/Inferno Friendship Society "Me vs. The Angry Mob" (chosen by Whisky in Babylon)

6) Bernard Cribbens "Hole in the Ground" (chosen by Canid)

7) The Corsairs "Peter Street" (chosen by Racouol)

8) Richard Thompson "Vincent Black Lightning 1952" (chosen by Gwaihir)

9) Audra McDonald "Stars and the Moon" (chosen by Tralla)

10) Louis Logic & JJ Brown "A Perfect Circle" (chosen by Wyvern)

11) Sufjan Stevens "Casimir Pulaski Day" (chosen by Happybuddha)

12) The Decemberists "The Bagman's Gambit" (chosen by Mira)

13) Hayden "Skates" (chosen by The Big Pointy One)

14) Carrie Underwood "Jesus, Take the Wheel" (chosen by Wrenwind)

The tracks, artwork, and lyrics can be downloaded here:

http://www.themightypen.net/Mighty%20Pen%20Narratives/

If you'd prefer to download a folder with the tracks, art, and lyrics directly to your computer, you can also download them as a zip file by clicking here:

http://www.themightypen.net/Mighty%20Pen%2...nNarratives.zip

A quick note before you listen: this is a compilation that was designed to be listened to from front to back in the order presented in the tracklisting. Several of the tracks are edited for smooth transitions between songs, and to experience this CD fully you should listen to it all the way through in the order that was intended. I would highly recommend importing all of the songs into a playlist of some sort so that you don't have to pause between each track to download the next one - tempo and smoothness are crucial for this compilation.

Anyway, please enjoy. :) Let me know what you think in this thread if you get a chance, I worked on it for a looonnng time! I'm not going to say that I'm a fan of all the musicians included on here, but I do think they merge together to form a cohesive whole.

Finally, please be on the lookout for the next release from Almost Draconic Recordings: The Mighty Pen "Epilogue EP", featuring music selections from Patrick, Kikuyu Black Paws, The Portrait of Zool, mai takekaze, and more! Coming sooner than you think... :-D

You did a fantastic job selecting and editing Wyvern - it does indeed flow perfectly.

I did as recommended and listened to the whole thing head to foot without a pause... which meant I had to choose between paying complete attention to the lyrics or reading the comments in conjunction with the songs, so it will have to have another run for me to appreciate all it has to offer - but I followed it and enjoyed it none the less.

It was also interesting hearing the sorts of tracks selected by my fellow Pennites... I know it was narrowed down, but I was surprised by the style and tone chosen in places.

...and I'd really love to hear some of the tracks that were passed up some time.

Oh, and I'm a sucker for horns too, by the way. :unicorn: (<- Get it? It has a horn! Har de har har har!)

Nice job here, the songs all have some nice melodies and they follow one another quite fluently and nicely - and the stories are all either funny or relating deep feelings, which makes the compilation very interesting.

I really couldn't say which one of theses have the best story, they all could be listened to thousand times, and I also like most of the songs' musicality as well.

I generally prefer the lively rythm from the first tracks to the slower last few, but I'm not able to set my mind on a top. Let's just say that all the songs are first ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, so I've now listened to this whole collection in a row at least ten times now, and I'm loving it. From top to bottom it is great. It has a nice mix of awesome songs, humour, and that 'tug at your heartstrings' oomph that I love so much. All the songs are great, but my favourites are probably: The General, Vincent Black Lightning, A Perfect Circle, Casimir Pulaski Day and The Bagman's Gambit. They *narrowly* edge out the rest in my mind.

Very well put together Wyv, and awesome submissions everyone, seriuosly. The next time I talk to any of y'all (and anyone else for that matter) feel free to suggest some similar stuff. I always look forward to music that's new (to me).

:tree:

Wow.

This is the best of the Almost Dragonic line of CDs yet. From the cover art and back, to the contents, it is pleasing visually and aurally, with thematic and musical flow that takes the listener on a journey.

You've outdone yourself, Wyvern. Thank you for the endless labour you put into our community.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folks,

First of all, I really wanted to thank you all for the comments, I really appreciate them. :-) I realize that this thanks is coming kind of belated, but it definitely took me a long time to compile The Mighty Pen "Narratives" and I did it for all you peeps at the Pen, so it's great to hear that some of you really enjoyed it. Big Pointy One - I want to thank you in particular for your two comments, as it was really cool to read your initial thoughts and your thoughts after listening to it a number of times. Glad to hear it had some rotation! Thanks again, everyone. :-)

Anyway, the other reason I wanted to post back in here is this:

Posted Image

The Mighty Pen "Epilogue EP." A short companion piece to The Mighty Pen "Narratives" featuring tracks chosen by folks who didn't make it onto the "Narratives" compilation, including Patrick, mai takekaze, The Portrait of Zool, and Kikuyu Black Paws. Cover photo by Antoine Bantigny, used with permission. Additional lettering and cropping by yours truly.

Be on the lookout for it!

• 3 weeks later...

The Mighty Pen "Epilogue EP"

1) "Fake Wings" by Yuki Kajiura (chosen by mai takekaze)

2) "Passing Afternoon" by Iron & Wine (Bonus Track, chosen by Mira)

3) "Blue Moon Revisited" by Cowboy Junkies (chosen by Zool)

4) "Morphing Thru Time" by Enigma (chosen by Kikuyu Black Paws)

5) "Another Day" by Dream Theater (chosen by Patrick)

How available for free download with artwork as a zip file here: http://www.themightypen.net/Epilogue%20EP/Epilogue%20EP.zip

The "Epilogue EP" serves as a companion piece and follow-up to The Mighty Pen "Narratives," and includes tracks from several people who submitted excellent songs to "Narratives" but didn't end up making the final cut. Unlike "Narratives," the "Epilogue EP" is not a compilation of story songs. Instead, it's a mood piece with a quiet mystical atmosphere coursing through it, the sort of music you'd hear during the end credits of some epic fantasy movie or deep within the recesses of an ancient magic library. If anything, the theme that courses through these songs is one of time and changing seasons. I think it sets a strong mood and am very happy with how it turned out. I hope you enjoy it as well!

Those of you who are still sleeping on The Mighty Pen "Narratives" compilation can download it here:

http://www.themightypen.net/Mighty%20Pen%20Narratives/

That pretty much wraps this project up... A quick thanks goes out to Patrick for helping me host both of these files on the Pen's webspace. :-)

Patrick, I didn't know you were into Dream Theater! I grew up on them because of my dad!!

Have you heard their new song 'These Walls'. It's my favorite by far out of anything they've done!

And Wyv, I can't wait to look into your EP! ^_^

Edited by Kikuyu Black Paws