The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Field trip!

Ozymandias' metallic brown skin stood out against the black starfield and cool, silent grey land as only the metaphoric sore thumb could.

Not that a tanuki, a midget orc, a young human girl in gleefully unmatched clothes (representing every color of the rainbow in no particular order), an anthropomorphic tigress clad in grim reaper costume, a young human lady with fiery red hair who was contentedly tossing a ball of yarn* into the air and catching it, a tigertaur, a young human man dressed in twenty-first century Earth ski apparel, and GeldrinHor did so any less, but that quiet folk always stand out first to many of a certain set of mind (but very especially when such folk are on the moon).

GeldrinHor, Katzaniel, Mynx, Curious Mylo, Whisky in Babylon, Norman the Runt, and Tanunchan all lounged on blankets that the old pharaoh had provided, and were gazing up at the planet Earth as Ozymandias and Patrick amused themselves in a game of 'who can kick a rock out of sight first'. Counting especially Mynx and Katzaniel's eyesight, Patrick was thus far the closest.

The contest came to an abrupt end when a powerful windup kick from Patrick that would've done the best Manchester United striker proud launched a ping pong ball-sized rock past the 'horizon' within seconds.

Ozymandias grinned ruefully and Patrick just grinned as they watched the spot it had disappeared into for awhile afterward, both trying their best to squint hard enough to see that far through the vacuum.

As his opponent ambled over to a blanket, Ozymandias spun on his heel to face the assembly. He had *that look* in his eye. No-one took this amiss, at least not greatly, not even Whisky or Norman who had just met the Loremaster; he had already taken them out for the afternoon to Earth's moon, after all.

"I suppose you're all wondering why we're here", he began, striking a speaking pose.

Tanuchan arched an eyebrow. "Well, now that you mention it...", she commented without a trace of a smirk. The old Egyptian gave her a little bow and a half smile in return, before continuing.

"It's about the lot of you moving up in the world", he said, eliciting a smile and a glance over his shoulder from GeldrinHor's craggy face.

Ozymandias paused once more as he caught this, and looked thoughtfully over his own shoulder at the Earth for several seconds, then back at GeldrinHor, then at the moon's surface for several more seconds.

"Fair enough," he went on at last, "but that wasn't the world I was referring to. I speak, of course, of The Mighty Pen.

We all have our strengths and our weaknesses. Everyone knows that. I could expound upon both facets of everyone here, but I won't- today is for taking a long, hard look only at the good you offer, and most specifically the good you do in our little home away from our homes.

Norman," he said, as his gaze fell upon the little orc. Norman tipped his hat politely in reply while flicking away the rather arrowhead-shaped stone he'd been examining. "You are obviously a man of good humor, and as quick a thinker as any wit could ever hope to be.

Tanuchan," he turned the lady tanuki's way, and she inclined her head to him briefly. "Your wisdom, courage, and creative soul make you one of the best big sisters our family has ever had.

Whisky." Teeth and eyes flashed at him in a smile lit with earthshine. "You have a clear mind, and I dare say, an even clearer heart. You brought both to us at probably the time we needed them most; but they never do go out of style, do they?

Katzaniel, Patrick", both of whom look mildly surprised at being addressed in tandem,"I swear I've never seen either of you falter or wave the white flag. Couple that astonishing endurance with surgical precision in every task you undertake, and...it's spectacular to see.

Mylo", said he, and she caught her ball and held it, gazing back at him intently. "You encourage all of us to continue to look beyond the borders and patterns we are accustomed to, and as any voracious explorer, we find new wonders that way. You also keep your attention on the accustomed works of your fellows; never one to neglect anything beautiful you've already tracked down, either.

Mynx," with a brief pause, Ozymandias sketches another stiff bow, this time with a respectful smack of his right fist into his left palm,"many, many causes lack intelligence, imagination, AND passion. You contain all three, and much more than one lady felinoid's worth besides.

Finally, GeldrinHor", says the Loremaster with such an emphatic thump of his staff into the soil that the powdery stuff plumes twenty feet into the air, requiring a full minutes' worth of methodic sweeping it from the sky in front of him before he judges his vision clear enough again.

"Sir, how I should describe you seems to offer only one avenue:

'A scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous...'

I'm sure you know the rest."

He scanned all of them again. "All of these things and more make each of you a blessing in the Pen and anywhere else your travels take you.

They also make you some of the most trustworthy folk I've ever met. However, since I only have power to give recognition inside the Pen, I shall proceed to do so.

For trust and loyalty are really at the heart of things here. There are many other parts to the keep we've built that are likewise inextricable, but those two are its' foundation.

Though as I have said you, myself and all other people you will ever meet are flawed as well as gifted, we compliment one another fantastically well in those regards."

His wrinkled and tanned brow furrows now, as in deep thought, or frustration.

"Even that doesn't really explain you and how the group of you in particular fit in with the Pen community. I hate to sound like one of those 'motivational speakers' who irritate me so, and quote music for meaning, but in this case, the twentieth century Earth song said it much better than I can:

So just call on me brother, when you need a hand

We all need somebody to lean on

I just might have a problem that you'd understand

We all need somebody to lean on

Lean on me when you're not strong

And I'll be your friend

I'll help you carry on

For it won't be long

Till I'm gonna need

Somebody to lean on

It's from 'Lean on me', by Bill Withers, I believe. Please don't ask what country or year he was from- I haven't the faintest idea."

The Loremaster looked a little embarrassed at this, but rallied quickly with an exultant shout.

"Whisky! Norman! GeldrinHor! I dub you Pages of the Pen is Mightier than the Sword!

Curious Mylo! I dub you Quill-Bearer of The Pen is Mightier than the Sword!

Katzaniel! Tanuchan! Mynx! Patrick! I dub you Elders of The Pen is Mightier than the Sword!"

Ever one to love a happy audience, Ozymandias chooses to go out with a bang literally. Raising his hands up high, and throwing his head back, his sleeves and hood suddenly end not in hands and head, but a staggering fountain of fireworks erupting so high from the moon's surface that they are seen as far as the Great Wall of China.

*It was in fact the ball of yarn used by Theseus to navigate the famed Labyrinth of Crete as he searched for the Minotaur. How it had come to be in the janitor's closet in the west wing of the keep Mylo had found it in, none can yet say.

Patrick smiled as the promotions of the others were announced and blushed when it was his name that was called.

"It is an honour," he managed to reply. He stayed silent while the rest of the promotees were promoted, then finally added a "Congratulations everyone!" before leaving again, to tinker on the different skins the Mighty Pen Keep could present. For the world wasn't always blue.

Blushing slightly beneath her pelt, Mynx smiled and bowed her head in thanks, before turning her attention to the rest of the promotees to congratulate them, plucking a kitten minion out of the reach of Norman's knife as she went, much to the orc's annoyance.

OOC: Thank you for the honour. I'll try not to disappoint. And congratulations to everyone else! :)

Norman bowed deeply and tipped his hat to all.

"It would appear that a hearty round of congratulations are in order" Norman wondered through the gathered group of promotees, bowing and shaking hands and slowly edged his way closer to the kitten Mynx moved.

Norman suddenly stopped and turned to Ozymandias, "So this means I am no longer canon fodder, I am now a grunt?" Ozy Blinked at the comparison of ranking systems and nodded. "I suppose so"

Norman smiled, "Well write on me and call me a page, I got promoted!"

-Norman

ooc: Congrats all, and thank you very much for the honour you have given to me.

The old man continues to stare over Ozy's shoulder at the brightness of the stars and nightglow as he takes in a deep breath, and let's out a long, satisfied sigh.

After several moments, he bows his head then shrugs his shoulder, and in the blink of an eye, anyone who happened to be looking his way notices the robes on the old man shimmer from the ratty deep brown to a deep, dark blue with small glittering jewels dancing all over the luxurious material. Even the old man's hat seems to firm up and brighten (darken? :P ) to join the rest of his outfit in sparkling splendor.

"Oh Great One, it is with pride that I carry forth this new title conveyed to me by the Masters of the Pen. I shall do my best not to stumble too often..." :rolleyes: .

ooc: WooHoo....nice job Ozy, and congratulations to ALL the ..... ummm.......graduates! A hearty congrats goes out to all the New Elders of the Pen. It is obvious to a lot more than just a couple of crusty "old" Elders, that you guys are an intregal part of the Pen and therefore deserve to share in it.

The Old Man stands up, removing his now TALL hat, releasing a rush of very wavy, long white locks with a slight thinning in the back, and bows deeply to each and every promotee, then steps forward to shake everyones hands and give congratulatory thumps on the backs of those gathered. Finally, he steps over to the Loremaster, reaches out an open palm, smiling up to the great Egyptian, and when Ozymandius grasps his hand in friendship, GeldrinHor just slowly pumps it a few times, then mumbles thank you to his friend and Mentor.

Once again, CONGRATULATIONS everyone!!!