The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

The Longest Words

Sweetcherrie

In this game someone will start with a 5 letter word starting with A.The next person will put a word starting with A that has 6 letters and so on till we get the longest A word there is.Then off to the B`s...If possible post the definition of your word too. HAVE FUN!!

Right, stolen from another board, but it seemed a fun idea nonetheless :)

Apple

definition: fruit with red or yellow or green skin and sweet to tart crisp whitish flesh

Oh, please don't put derivations of words on, like the next one should not be Apples....

Edited by Sweetcherrie

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alternate

* go back and forth; swing back and forth between two states or conditions

* exchange people temporarily to fulfill certain jobs and functions

* understudy: be an understudy or alternate for a role

* allowing a choice; "an alternative plan"

* interchange: reverse (a direction, attitude, or course of action)

* alternate(a): occurring by turns; first one and then the other; "alternating feelings of love and hate"

* surrogate: someone who takes the place of another person

* do something in turns; "We take turns on the night shift"

ambidexterity

the noun of being ambidextrous -- able to use either hand with equal ease.

Would the same term apply to beings with more than two arms? Or would we need a more boring word like "multidexterity" for that?

Edited by Alaeha

(someone stop me...)

Elrohir bursts in, and is nearly forced back by a wave of bubbly waters. "Dad!" he cries, "You'll flood the lower floors! I don't think you'll find Mynx an accommodationist, blithely swallowing her view on waters to be polite!"

Peredhil! ^_^ You showoff... *laughs* Great work, but it makes it even harder to find the next word. :) I like the little snippets though, good job. :)

*Peredhil sneaks in and points his fellow half-elf to the site's chat window with a sly wink. ;)

*chuckles* Thanks Peredhil, not sure if it's entirely valid, since it doesn't appear in any of the dictionary sites... but what the hey, I'll give my theory. :)

acquisitivenesses

A plural of acquisitiveness, which is the noun of acquisitive

1. eager to possess things: eager to acquire things, especially possessions

...particularly suited to Wyvern, given the many types of things he is eager to possess. :)

I'm going to skip a letter:

antidisestablishment

Against people who are against institutions. (This is a real word. In fact, I could skip right to anitdisestablishmentarianism, but I won't - and now that's not allowed ;) Also, apparently you can add "pseudo" in front of that for one of the 10 longest words in our language, but I think that's cheating.)

Well Katz' got me. The only ones I can come up with (after sitting and consuming an entire Mountain Dew!) are plurals like antiauthoritarianisms or skipping right to what Katz' already claimed.

I suppose I could crank out a medical term or resort to searching a dictionary - some of those are true jaw-crankers, but that sounds too uncouth, like speaking Dwarven.

bows and retires in defeat on the longest "a" word to Katz'

(quick edit) Notes Gyrfalcon's note to his note and hopes he hasn't cheated. "Have you tried a treatise on phrenology? It was one of the mappings on the head diagram I had on my wall once. Maybe wikipedia, or britannica?"

Okay had to break out the Oxford English dicitionary for this one:

anthropomorphological

rare. Using anthropomorphic language.

1863 W. JAMES Let. 13 Sept. (1920) I. 51, I send a photograph of Gen. Sickles... It is a part of a great anthropomorphological collection which I am going to make.

So, ermm, is a 21-letter word enough? Well, I hope so, because I'm putting forth the first word for the Bs.

Beryl

Meaning: a mineral, beryllium aluminum silicate, Be3Al2Si6O18, usually green, but also blue, rose, white, and golden, and both opaque and transparent, the latter variety including the gems emerald and aquamarine: the principal ore of beryllium.

Beyond

beyond

A adverb

1 beyond

in addition; "agreed to provide essentials but nothing beyond"

2 beyond

farther along in space or time or degree; "through the valley and beyond"; "to the eighth grade but not beyond"; "will be influential in the 1990s and beyond"

3 beyond, on the far side

on the farther side from the observer; "a pond with a hayfield beyond"