The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

The Longest Words

Sweetcherrie

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ballistocardiograph

a medical instrument that measures the mechanical force of cardiac contractions and the amount of blood passing through the heart during a specified period by measuring the recoil of the body as blood is pumped from the ventricles

I think I watched too much ER >_<

A tie! I love ties, because that means one less loser. :) But I should've counted - I just threw out the longest 'b' word of which I could think.

flying by - but next would be 8?

Cabalist! One versed in the Jewish Mysteries. I was a member of Celembrimbor's Cabalists, which had nothing to do with the Jewish at all. :P

*grin*

My turn to skip some then and head straight into the interesting ones ;)

-Celembrimdor-

The name of a group of cabalists (which has no ties to the Jewish at all) which has at least counted a polite ancient elder among its membership at one point in time.

But to actually stay on count and prevent skipping some nice words:

-Catapults-

A category of ancient siege weapons, deployed in large numbers by the ancient greeks and romans in the form of scorpions and their numerous variations. The chinese developped their bigger form collectively known as the trebuchets between the 5th and 3rd centuries BC to hurl massive boulders (up to 130 lbs or 0 kg in their time, up to 3300 lbs or 1500 kg in the late middle ages) over large distances. (well over 300 feet in ancient chinese times, well over 1000 in the late middle ages) Contrary to popular belief, these could have a fairly high rate of fire. Two engines in tandem could probably fire once every 15 seconds.

They were also popularily used to fling dead animals (including humans) and feces to spread disease.

Popular uses for them nowadays are large tourist attractions, and machinery used in the inspirationally sounding "Punkin Chunkin'".

Note that the way they are portrayed in the movie The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, on top of towers, is historically uncorrect as their recoil would actually damage the tower.

Edited by Mardrax

Peredhil tries to restrain Guido, but is dragged into the Cabaret by the Giant Guinea Pig. Finally he drops and covers his eyes, knowing too well the gleam in Guido's eye and smile.

"Noooo," he moans

Youse Guys! I gots one! the Bodyguard says with a toothy grin

cunnilinguses he says triumphantly, "it's from the Latin; He who licks the vulva. But the root is from India, as you can find in the holy book the Kama Sutra."

A flash of Blue and a Portal closes around the surprised Rodent of Unusual Size.

I'm sorry to jump it like this, but I can only think of one word longer at the moment. 21 letters?

counterintelligence A government's espionage activities in protection of its local or national interests against enemy spies, often involving disseminating false information. Identifying the citizens as enemies of the state can result in politicians and media misrepresenting truth in order to maintain or secure power.

Guest Phoenix

ok, this is jumping back a few letters, but it doesn't have to be included

i just like it :D

Chemical Name for the Tobacco Mosaic Virus, Dahlemense Strain. 1,185 letters total

ACETYL­SERYL­TYROSYL­SERYL­ISO­LEUCYL­THREONYL­SERYL­PROLYL­SERYL­GLUTAMINYL­PHE

NYL­ALANYL­VALYLPHENYL­ALANYL­LEUCYL­SERYL­SERYL­VALYL­TRYPTOPHYL­ALANYL­ASPARTY

L­PROLYL­ISOLEUCYL­GLUTAMYLLEUCYL­LEUCYL­ASPARAGINYL­VALYL­CYSTEINYL­THREONYL­SE

RYL­SERYL­LEUCYL­GLYCYL­ASPARAGINYL­GLUTAMINYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­GLUTAMINYL­THREONYL

­GLUTAMINYL­GLUTAMINYL­ALANYL­ARGINYLTHREONYL­THREONYL­GLUTAMINYL­VALYL­GLUTAMIN

YL­GLUTAMINYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­SERYL­GLUTAMINYL­VALYL­TRYPTOPHYL­LYSYL­PROLYL­PHENY

L­ALANYL­PROLYL­GLUTAMINYL­SERYL­THREONYL­VALYL­ARGINYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­PROLYL­GLY

CYL­ASPARTYL­VALYL­TYROSYL­LYSYL­VALYL­TYROSYL­ARGINYL­TYROSYL­ASPARAGINYL­ALANY

L­VALYL­LEUCYL­ASPARTYL­PROLYL­LEUCYL­ISOLEUCYL­THREONYL­ALANYL­LEUCYL­LEUCYL­GL

YCYL­THREONYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­ASPARTYL­THREONYL­ARGINYL­ASPARAGINYL­ARGINYL­ISOLEU

CYL­ISOLEUCYL­GLUTAMYL­VALYL­GLUTAMYL­ASPARAGINYL­GLUTAMINYL­GLUTAMINYL­SERYL­PR

OLYL­THREONYL­THREONYL­ALANYL­GLUTAMYL­THREONYL­LEUCYL­ASPARTYL­ALANYL­THREONYL­

ARGINYL­ARGINYL­VALYL­ASPARTYL­ASPARTYL­ALANYL­THREONYL­VALYL­ALANYL­ISOLEUCYL­A

RGINYL­SERYL­ALANYL­ASPARAGINYL­ISOLEUCYL­ASPARAGINYL­LEUCYL­VALYL­ASPARAGINYL­G

LUTAMYL­LEUCYL­VALYL­ARGINYL­GLYCYL­THREONYL­GLYCYL­LEUCYLTYROSYL­ASPARAGINYL­GL

UTAMINYL­ASPARAGINYL­THREONYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­GLUTAMYL­SERYL­METHIONYLSERYL­GLYCYL

­LEUCYL­VALYL­TRYPTOPHYL­THREONYL­SERYL­ALANYL­PROLYL­ALANYL­SERINE

This word has appeared in the American Chemical Society's Chemical Abstracts and is so considered to be the longest 'real' word

there apparently are some longer, but they're not counted as 'real words' because they are never used by chemists and there is no theoretical limit to the length of possible legitimate chemical terms.

hee

*hugs shiny long word*

um...

i'm a little tired....

*grins*

Edited by Phoenix