The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

All in White

Mynx

CheerMynx hummed to herself as she skipped through the Pen, a large bunch of brightly coloured balloons clutched in one paw and an equally large bundle of presents in the other. She was so excited. Mynx normally never let her take control when it came to special occasions. And this one was super special indeed! CheerMynx was determined to try her very most super hardest to not screw it up.

Finally arriving at Gryphon's quarters CheerMynx let herself in with the key Mynx had given her and bounded into the living room where she proceeded to decorate to the nth degree.

Fifteen minutes later, CheerMynx stepped back to survey her work. There was a balloon or streamer in every possible space and hanging up over it all was an exceedingly bright and colourful banner that practically shrieked in its brightness:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GRYPHON!!!

Checking over the list Mynx had written for her alter ego, Cheer Mynx saw that she had completed everything...but she felt like she needed something else.

Knowing she had some time before Gryphon or anyone else showed up, CheerMynx began to pace around and she tried to focus her thoughts on this matter

Finally she got it. Gryphon was a Herald, but he wasn't white! In the sudden, single minded nature of the cheerleader, CheerMynx decided that this was vitally important and had to be rectified as soon as possible.

Yawning as he wandered back into his quarters, Gryphon shook his head as he wondered at the large number of kitten minions that had been trying to distract him all morning. He knew what day it was, but he was beginning to get curious about what was planned. Looking around inside his quarters, Gryphon was able to see it wasn't a surprise party...well it wasn't at yet at least as he couldn't see anything except for a lot of bright things...

This for some reason made him slightly nervous. Mynx wasn't normally so colourful...

Just as he was about to sit down, Gryphon heard a kamakaze cheerleader squeal, giving him almost a microsecond to react before he felt something very cold covering his body.

Crying out in shock, Gryphon stumbled around and flapped his wings as he tried to get rid of the horrible stick feeling, before CheerMynx appeared with a mirror and a wide grin.

"Happy birthday!" she squealed, holding up the mirror to reveal the results of her attack. "I thought that if you were really going to be a herald then we needed to get you the white uniform!"

Gryphon gaped at his newly feather died form in the mirror, the white so blinding it almost hurt him to look at it.

"Now I wonder if I should make your eyes blue..." CheerMynx wondered out loud, before Gryphon bolted out of his quarters, some of his newly whitened feathers streaming behind him as he raced through the pen away from the dark side of his partner.

OOC: Happy birthday Gryphon! *tacklehugs* Sorry for the whiteout...I couldn't resist... :P

Anyone wondering what I'm on about, read or look up Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar series.

Ayshela and Kaitlyn made their way down the hall toward Gryphon's room just in time to see him make his frantic escape - at least, it *looked* sort of like Gryphon, though he wasn't normally so... blinding... Ayshela blessed the confines of the hall as she whirled her cloak off and up before Gryphon, capturing him gently as he fled. Kaitlyn looked a bit worried as Ayshela picked Gryphon up, bundled softly in the folds of her cloak (and, incidentally, thoroughly hidden). She interrupted Ayshela's soothing murmurs to ask, "Is he gonna be okay?"

Ayshela smiled and reassured both, "Of course he will be. This won't take long to take care of, and he'll be fine." They returned to Ayshela's room and carefully closed and locked the bathroom door before setting the Gryphon bundle down and unwrapping him.

Kaitlyn started the water running as Ayshela looked at Gryphon and laughed ruefully. "Well, this WASN'T what I was planning for your birthday, but it looks like the best i could do for you now is a bath. You're going to need some help getting all that off."

Gryphon looked in the mirror and winced, then just sighed.

LOL Oh dear, CheerMynx is such wonderfully deadly fun!!! LOL

Happy Birthday, Gryph! Hope it's splendiferously fun and involves not one hint of white-out! ;)

*tacklehugs*

Evangeline looked up from the bowl she was concentrating on when she heard the clatter of Gryphon's claws, just in time to see Ayshela bundle him off to what she assumed would be the bathing room, based on the sticky whiteness covering Gryphon from beak to tail. //Wha-? Oh, right, it's his birthday. Oops...// The girl in Grays jumped up and got down a Shin'a'in woven basket from above her desk, careful not to jostle it too much, and covered it with a small pillow. On her way out the door, Evangeline paused and went back to the trunk at the foot of her bed, pulling out a small thing she had just finished.

Evangeline arrived at the bathing room as Ayshela was drying Gryphon off with a large towel; she couldn't help but laugh at the gryphon's disgruntled expression and feathers sticking every which way.

"Oh, you're a sight! I bet your feathers are ruffled, in more than one meaning. Here - this might be very appreciated right about now." Evangeline set down the basket and took off the pillow, revealing a neatly laid-out and well-stocked set of feather-dyes and treatments, along with adorments of various kinds. "The k'Leshya had a tent at the Shin'a'in horse fair last summer, and I got this without knowing what I'd do with it. Now, you can keep a hold of it. I do know the ways of the trondi'ern, so... if you ever feel inclined?" She smiled at the happy expression on Gryphon's face.

"And this..." She pulled out a small, intricately tooled leather plaque from behind her back, holding it out for the three to see. Gryphon's name was picked out around the edges, and a stylized gryphon rampant stood in the middle. It was subtled dyed in various shades of warm brown and dark blue, giving the gryphon shape, and was decorated with silver gilt paint. The back held a hook and two slides - it was a harness-plaque. "This is for whenever you need your flying harness, or to dress it up. Happy birthday Gryphon!" Evngeline gave Gryphon one more scratch along his ruff, then trotted back to her room - her FarSight instructor had hinted at a surprise inspection tomorrow, and she had yet to get a hang on scrying.

{{EEEEEEEEEEE Mercedes Lackey! ^______________^ Happy birthday, Gryph!}}

Edited by Evangeline

Sweetcherrie ducks in, a big pile of books under her arms. She drops the books on a table and rummages around in her pocket. With difficulty she pulls the package that is too large for her pocket out, and takes it out of the box. She sticks out her hand to Gryphon and opens it.

In the palm of her hand a small golden phoenix rolls up. The figurine is life-like, and seems to be an exact copy of Troy.

"I've had these made by a jeweler."

She slides the phoenix in Gryphon's hand where it ruffles its feathers, and curls back up. Sweetcherrie stands smiling until she sees the confused look on Gryphon's face.

"Oh, sorry, if you're ever in need....wake it up properly, and ask it to call Troy. He'll come and help you, well, he'll try at least. His healing sometimes is still a bit off...

Anyway, Happy Birthday!"

With a broad smile she huggles her partner in crime.

Daryl trotted down the hallway, a package clutched in his mouth when a shining white blur slammed into him, causing the fox to whirl into the air and fly down the hallway, package leaving his mouth as he yipped in protest. Before he could stagger to his feet, Ayshela had wrapped the white gryphon in her cloak and with Kaitlyn's aid, carrying him away.

Daryl shook his head and picked up the package, grumbling around it as he trotted towards Gryphon's room, wondering idly who that pure white gryphon had been.

Nosing the door open, he blinked at the kitten minions perched on every available surface... and standing in the middle of the room, Mynx in a cheerleader uniform, a pout on her face.

Little warning bells went off in Daryl's brain. He'd heard about Mynx when she's like this... and it wasn't pretty.

Mynx starts and stares at the russet fox as he creeps in and places the present on gryphon's bed befoe sauntering for the door.

"Hey! Do you want to be a herald?" she asked hopefully, wondering if the feather-dye she had left would work on fur as well.

Daryl bolted, skidding through the door and accelerating down the hallway.

CheerMynx pouted and sighed. "Like, you could have just said no." she complained.

OOC: Happy Birthday, Gryphon! Just so you know, when you get back your present is a set of mythril fighting claws. Always useful to have more weapons as an adventurer, after all. :)

Wyvern zips into the Cabaret Room and slings the bulging sack that he carries from one shoulder to the other, ignoring the pulse of the bag's fabric as it fidgets and rams itself against him. The lizard grits his teeth and glances left and right, then perks up and waves a claw when he notices the disheveled, feather-happy sight that is Gryphon.

"Geeeze Gryphon, you alright?" Wyvern approaches the wet birthday bird with a bout of obnoxious laughter. "Saw you run in here looking like a spook... Melba didn't try to wear those whale-net leggingsss she was threatening to buy, I hope?"

Gryphon shakes his head in dismal jerks as Ayshela runs a towel over it.

"Good." Wyvern lifts his sack with a grunt and holds it in front Gryphon. The feathered herald lifts a brow as he watches the bag move left and right. "Well, I overheard the whole CheerMynxxx thing, and decided that this gift would probably be appropriate. Feassst yer eyes on this!"

Wyvern turns the sack upsidedown and a goblin falls out, causing Gryphon and Ayshela to jump back. The ugly humanoid is tied down in rope and a gag, and seems to be wearing the junkyard equivalent of a business suit; leftover rags from a troll banquet napkin and a necklace of baby troglyodyte teeth. Wyvern carefully approaches the goblin as it flails left and right on the ground, then removes its gag with the flick of a claw.

"I'llsueI'llsueI'llsueI'llsue!"

Gryphon stares at the loudmouth goblin in distaste, then turns his eyes to Wyvern.

"What... is this?"

"Some goblin lawyer that tried to charge me a few geld." Wyvern stares in both directions, then lifts a claw and whispers in Gryphon's ear. "You might be needing it, for the inevitable racial lawsuit that'll arissse from this 'all white Herald' situation."

;-p

OOC: A Happy Birthday to you, Gryphon. :-)

Patham flew through the corridors of the Mighty Pen Keep, unaware of all the ruckus going on there where he was heading. He passed a frantic Daryl as he made his way to Gryphon's room, but did not pay much attention. The possibility did not enter his mind that Daryl had been running exactly from the place he had been heading to.

Unfortunately for Patham he had not previously heard of CheerMynx's reknown and therefore did not consider himself in danger after he had released the small package he had been carrying with his claws. A small note alongside the package explained its purpose.

As something of a bird myself, I am aware of how annoying it can be when after sleeping, or flying in high winds feathers get all ruffled...Happy Birthday Gryphon!

Were the package opened, the item inside would be revealed to be a Special Feather Unruffling Kit.

Patham turned his owl-eyes towards CheerMynx and inspected her. She strangely resembled Mynx, but there was something different.

Two minutes later, as blindingly white as Gryphon had been a few minutes earlier, Patham had learnt the lesson to be wary of Mynx's alter-ego.

Once the feather dye had dried and his feathers were back in an unruffled state Gryphon sat and considered the gifts from everyone and his own new appearance.

"If I get Evangaline to dye my wingtips in some bright colour patterns this could actually look rather good! And then if I add the mythril fighting claws..."

With a fierce grin Gryphon decides to remain in whites at least until his next moult. The grin lasts until he remembers the 'gift' from Wyvern, then it faulters.

"What'm I going to do with a goblin lawyer?!? Maybe if I release it into the wild I can tell him that I put it somewhere for safe keeping."

Not wanting to let the puzzle ruin what had otherwise been a brilliant day Gryphon bounced off to show off his shinies to everyone and get himself decorated up.

~~~

Thanks everyone for the birthday gifts. :)

I ended up having a fairly undemanding day at work followed by a family dinner and an evening with Mynx which rounded off the day really well.

It's the small things that count for so much in my life, and knowing you all care enough to wish me happy birthday is really awesome. Thanks again everyone.

Ozymandias staggered away from the party room, hands still reflexively clutching at his eyes.

"so...many...primary...colors...", he moaned.

He turned the corner even as Gryphon did; luckily for him his winged compatriot, though flying low, was quite adept at sudden stops.

"Ozy?" came the concerned squawk.

"Gryphon?" The Loremaster's face became the picture of relief. "Oh good. It IS you. For a moment I thought you were another one of those shiny balloon animals that seem to be burned into my retinas. So...very...shiny...ow..." He trailed off in a whimper.

Happy Birthday, Dude. ^_^

It was a wildly erratic path that the raven flew, his attention not on his surroundings, but on the small portal that floated just in front of him.

through the portal the Raven was searching the draws of a large desk, "Where is it, where is it,I know it is in here someplace" was the only muttered words heard by many as the Raven caused them to avoid his flight.

"Yay!!!" the portal vanished in the shriek of glee, and brandishing the small white object the Raven headed for the blindingly white form of Gryphon, and in a gleeful yet controled manner landed on his shoulder and grinned.

"Happy birthday Mate, all the best, sorry I am so late."

Gryphon eyed the Raven with suspicion born of experence, "What are you up to?"

The Raven grinned, and in the brief instand that the first flash of white made Gryphon blink, the click click of a stamper was heard, followed by several more, and as the raven fled the scene, Gryphon was left standing, white from Cheermynx, with several coloured stamps of daisies, bunny rabbits, bumble bees, and one single red "processed" covering his head and shoulders.

:raven:

Happy belated birthday Gryph, Hope you enjoy many more.

:raven: