The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Beauty Pageant Round Three

Mynx

Giggling idiotically, CheerMynx bounded onto the stage in a skimpy cheerleader's outfit, a glittery pompom clasped in each paw as she paused at the front of the stage, winked at the crowd, and then performed a spectacular spinning backflip, landing lightly on her hind paws and posing with the pompoms.

"Are you ready? Okay!

You've had the first and second

Now it's time for round three

We've seen you pose and strut around

You've even impressed me!

So now it's time for talent

Something special you can do

Impress us all! You know you can!

The winner is one of you!"

With another neat cartwheel and a backflip, CheerMynx bounded off the stage, Returning almost immediately to Mynx form as she sat down, shaking her head as if to purge the memory of what she just did...

OOC: Same rules guys. Impress us with a unique skill. Round ends in one week

“What on earth will I do for this part?” Sweetcherrie paced back and forth through her room. She’d been thinking what she was good at, but hadn’t found a lot of specific things. Sure, she could be kind of charming, and she was ok with organizing things, but a real talent? She didn’t think she had any.

With a sigh she sat down behind the mana internet to see if there was anything that would give her ideas. She browsed through various sites, but none seemed to be any good. The flashy images and sounds were dazzling her in 3d, and she almost fell of her chair when all of a sudden a picture of a demon seemed to jump at her through the screen. Suddenly she had an idea! She got at work and about two hours later she nodded satisfied with what she had done, and turned her computer off to get some sleep. The next round would be the tomorrow, and she didn’t want to show up with bags under her eyes.

The next morning she woke up with a smile on her face. She was confident that round three would work out pretty ok, and when she had taken a shower and dressed with care she picked up her laptop and walked to the portal.

The sand under her feet felt warm, but today she didn’t worry about not having her shoes on. In fact she had even left them off on purpose since today it wouldn’t matter what she wore, today she would embezzle them with her talents!

Sweetcherrie arrived early, but luckily she got a little nod from Mynx, and she started setting up her equipment. When everything was ready she grabbed the microphone, and announced her act.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, today I will present you myself, in a way that shows how I’ve used my talent for organization, design, and I’ve even used my charm.”

At this she winked at the jury, and started the presentation she had prepared. A life-size picture of herself working on some documents appeared. The image smiled, and winked at the guests and she commented along as she went to the next slide. She clicked with the device she had in her hand and went to the next slide. Suddenly the demon that had surprised her the night before jumped out and raged through the audience. Some of the guests fell backwards of their chairs, and Gryphon already jumped up from the jury table to fight this monster if needed, when Sweetcherrie clicked again.

She giggled nervously, “Oops, I’m very sorry that happened, I guess that one must have slipped through. Don’t worry, the next one will be-“

She clicked, and a flock of harpies flew out of the screen and started attacking the jury. At her next click a massive troll stormed out and with a mighty roar he turned on her. Paralysed with embarrassment she forgot to click to the next image, and the troll took a swing at her. Just as it was about to hit her to smithereens the image flickered and disappeared. Sweetcherrie came to her senses and saw that the screen of her laptop was black. She looked backstage and saw that Anna had stumbled over the cables and by that she had luckily unplugged her laptop.

With a fiery red face she walked back to the microphone.

“I guess…I guess, that I’ve just shown you my talent for messing things up. It must be the heat that, I mean, yeah, I…I’ll be going now.”

With a little hesitation she added a small thank you, picked up her laptop and hurried backstage. She thanked Anna for saving her and ran away towards the portal to get back to her room. How would she ever dare to show herself again after this?

Anna gave a look of shock as she'd not yet realized what had happened...she just knew that her clumsiness had done something. It then sank in what just occurred and evoked a smile upon the Slayer's face...a very brief smile as the announcement for round three came booming out of nowhere and into Anna's ears. "The time has come for you to take part in a real treat. Our very own Anna will perform a special symphony both written and prepared by the Slayer herself. And now with no further aduei...Anna!" Anna tried to flag the announcer down...she so desperately wanted to change her act...though it would appear that it was already too late. She can't very well let the audience down...can she? Stepping out onto the stage, Anna took out a baton from her inner dress and nervously approached the center floor. With a quiver in her voice, she began to speak.

Anna-"As the announcer man said..." Anna was too nervous to remember his name and became even more embarassed at her lack of knowledge. "I prepared a special symphony of fireworks. Magical, ofcourse!" Taking a deep breath, Anna gave a sigh and waved the baton with a magical glow...only to lunge it forward and have it putter out. Displaying a meek grin as she waved the baton again...only to achieve the same results. Becoming too nervous to do anything more...Anna broke the baton in half and tossed it too the ground. This fit of emotion seemed to enable her magical abilities and sent forth a rush a fireworks that exploded over the judges and audiences heads...just over their heads. The more alert members of the crowd ducked and avoided any damage...others weren't so lucky. Anna turned with a sheepish grin and spoke one last time before running for her life.

Anna-"Umm, sorry?" Anna said before vanishing behind the curtains managing to clumsily trip on her exit.

Wyvern wanders past Anna and trots out onto the stage. His ash-covered claws carry the skull and crossbones "cosmetics" bag he had displayed earlier, and his beady eyes seem to be focussed on the floor. The overgrown lizard sets his sack centerstage, then stoops down and picks up a baton that Anna had dropped earlier in her orchestration. He raises the baton to his snout, gives it a long sniff, then strikes a dumb grin and tucks it into his tunic. Turning to the audience, the lizard waves a claw.

"Well well well." Wyvern snickers. "You'd think I ssstarted a fashion trend or somethi-"

"Get on with it!" cries an angry burnt spectator. Another audience member shakes a smoking fist.

"Right." The lizard's forked tongue hangs loose as he grabs his cosmetics bag and opens it. "I will now demonstrate to the crowds my talent for marketing Almost Dragonic Brand products. I will do so by giving sample products to each of the competing Beauty Pageant participants. These products will be given out.... absolutely free of charge."

A collective gasp of shock and astonishment comes from the crowds. Wyvern sneers maliciously, then digs his claws into the bag and pulls out what appears to be a dented miniature pitchfork.

"To Musicevangelissst." Wyvern holds the item up high for all to see. "I give this Almost Dragonic Brand Out-of-Tuning Fork.™ Perfect for coming up with those more "obscure" melodies, and essential for any karaoke bash. When purchased in stores, this product also comes with a limited edition Racouolettes single."

An armor-clad Elder Dwarf rushes out on stage. Wyvern hands him the item, then points out musicevangelist and watches as the dwarf runs off. He then digs into his bag again, and pulls out a small plastic sack squirming with tiny insects.

"To Tom Atoe." Wyvern waves a claw in Tom's direction. "I give this Almost Dragonic Brand My Pet Aphid Starter Set.™ These banes of all garden life are now packed in a cute-yet-flimsy little plastic container for the kids! Comes with a very limited amount of Califlower-flavored Aphid Feed."

The messenger Dwarf takes the item from Wyvern's claws and runs off in Tom Atoe's direction. Wyvern rummages deeper into his bag, then pulls out what appears to be a large ninja star.

"To Stumpy." The lizard taps his foot on the ground. "I give this beautiful Almost Dragonic Brand Chainsaw Frisbee.™ This fun little toy will add a spark and perhaps a few serrated edges to your next day in the park. Made for ages sapling and up."

The Dwarf carries off the item as Wyvern digs into his bag yet again. His claws resurface holding a potion vial filled with liquid.

"To Boslio Ganaffi." Wyvern tilts his head in Boslio's direction. "I give this Almost Dragonic Brand Vyle (of) Hair Conditioner.™ This patented formula will give your hair a condition, or your money stolen! Test it prior to Round Five to see if you approve."

The vial is carried away, and Wyvern digs through his bag once more. He pulls out a gnarled oak branch twisted into a 'U' shape, with strands of spider webs connecting the ends.

"To Thomas the Minstrel." Wyvern makes a dramatic pause. "I give this Almost Dragonic Brand Makeshift Web Harp.™ Perfect for the most temporary of performances, and kinda elegent in an elven sorta way. It's rumored that a family of black widows have made their nest inside of it as well."

The "harp" is carried off-stage, and Wyvern searches through his items once again. He eventually takes out what appear to be a very large pair of glasses.

"To Patham." The lizard points a claw in Patham's direction. "I give this fashionable pair of Almost Dragonic Brand Reverse Owl Eyeglasses.™ Made using magnifying glasses stolen from Inspector I. M Clueless, this cool little number will make you the hippest, meanest, most near-sighted owl this side of zoo experimentation sights. Enjoy."

The armored Elder Dwarf takes the item from Wyvern, then wanders off-stage in the direction of Patham. The Dwarf makes a sharp turn once he's out of sight, however, and dumps the item at the same location he had dumped the other five items: in a large trashcan.

"For the rest of the participants that have shown up thus far, I have a ssspecial treat." Wyvern digs to the bottom of the "cosmetics" bag, and pulls out a large box containing what looks like (and probably is) shredded tax documents. "Please, help yourself to this box of Almost Dragonic Brand Ladiesss Swimwear.™ Fresh off the presses/shredding block, these semi-comfortable suites make string bikinies looks like one-pieces! A sure-fire winner come Round Five, unless you happen to choose one of those big property tax documents."

The sound of crickets fills the room.

After Wyvern cleared the stage, trailing pieces of 'important' papers, Apaltra strode on again.

She cleared her throat and waved away some ashes still floating about.

"Hello again. I am supposed to show you my talent now, as Appy so kindly told me while trying to push my staff in my hands. But magic isn't a talent of mine, it is something that was given to me, together with the staff. Mine's a different talent, but to show you fully, I need assistance."

The last word barely spoken a rumbling noise was heard, behind the audience. Building up volume Finx let out a giant roar, startling most of the people, especially those in the back.

"I give you my companion and dearest friend, Finx!"

The enormous lion now walked between the audience, it's tail swishing lazily, mouth half open and a sparkle in his eyes as he surveyed the people he walked past.

"Not to worry, the roar was actually laughter. He is glad that I am finally introducing him. Now that you all get to know him, he thinks he won't have to hide on the grounds anymore"

The lion fixed Apaltra with a stare that said so much as "You had better be right about that."

Apaltra laughed and said: "And of course he is right, no more prowling, unless you feel like it of course"

She winked as the lion jumped lightly on the stage and put his big head against Apaltra's shoulder, as if to greet her.

Her hand on his head, Apaltra continues her speech to the audience: "As you all can see, Finx is not a normal lion, he was an adult when we first met, and he will live far beyond my years. We can talk, in a way which can best be described as telepathy. He told me it's quite rare for humans to even see his kind, let alone talk with them. For this, and other reasons, he has decided to travel with me." Apaltra grabs one of Finx's ears and pulls it gently: "Curious little kitten, isn't he?"

Before the audience could comprehend it, Apaltra was on her back. Finx had pushed her over with a flick of his head and the rumble in his throat told the audience he didn't like that joke too much. Apaltra however was laughing again as she got up.

"Aaanyways.. again I say, this is not my talent, although one could say that being able to talk with him IS a talent, since it cannot be learned. But as I said before, Finx is here only to assist, and to make you realise the potential of the talent I am about to display. You noticed his strenght, the ease with which he pushed me over just now. He hasn't even shown his claws yet."

Irreversibly most people in the audience looked at the enormous paws, and up again at Apaltra as she continued:

"I will put my own strenght against his" Appy, in the curtains, gasped, "And to remove some worry from my sisters side.." Apaltra smiled again as Appy walked on stage "I will give her a word with which the fight will stop immediatly" She whispered something in Appy's ear, and the little girl nodded, a determined look on her face now.

"Also it might be nice if you could tell the audience what is happening, or just happened.. think you could do that?" Appy nods again, grabs the microphone and walks to the left-front corner, as far as is possible while still being on stage.

Appy's voice sounds almost weak as she first speaks, but soon it's as clear as usual as she explains that Apaltra will take off all her weapons "Of course she does this to prevent herself doing too much damage, as well as preventing Finx doing even more damage to her." Apaltra puts down her long sword and produces still more knives and darts from pockets all over her garment. At long last she takes off her cloak and flexes a few times, almost as if she's showing off her well-proportioned body and most sensible woodland's clothes.

Finx in the mean time paces the stage, the low rumble permanent now, his eyes fixed on his friend.

"I will try to explain as fast as I can, but I might skip a few points, you will know why, once they start. They will start with simple sparing." And as Appy says this Finx bunches some muscles and launches himself towards Apaltra, going for her with his paw. Apaltra simply steps aside, and pushes him on his side, as if to fling his hind legs away from her.

Finx lets her do this only to make a full turn and pushes Apaltra with his head, sending her to stagger away from him.

"As you can see, Finx is a lot stronger. But you will notice soon why it is Apaltra that needs to be stopped..." Apaltra regains her footing and circles Finx, trying to keep her eyes on all four legs and his head. Finx again bunches his muscles and this time, by feigning, hits Apaltra fully with his head, sending her flying off the stage, behind the curtains.

"Oh dear, now you've done it.." Appy says as she stares at the curtains. As Finx turns to Appy with a look that clearly states "You're funny" a blur emerges from behind the curtains and lands on his back, making him start and turn, growling.

A hand on his ear twists it painfully, and the only way out it seems, is for Finx to roll on his back.

The scream heard comming from under his upturned body is bone-twisting, but it doesn't sound like pain. It brings Rage.

Appy, her fingers in her ears, talks quickly "This is what I meant before. Apaltra's gone into her state of Rage, deadly to most people to go into, for it usually brings with it.." Appy counts on her fingers, "The inability to recognise danger, the reduction of one's own defences, and last, but not least, the inability to recognise when to stop."

The lion is now moving almost as fast as the blur that's attacking him, his paws scrape the stage sending splinters flying into the audience, his jaws and head move furiously, trying to get hold of his prey. They remain empty as Apaltra seems to dodge his every attack and in the mean-time red gashes appear out of nowhere all over Finx's flanks.

Then it seems he has her, as his jaws close on an arm. And indeed, for a moment Apaltra is visible again, standing over Finx, her other hand clawed, posed to strike Finx directly on the head.

"JOKER!" Appy screams.

Apaltra's head shoots up towards the sound, sees Appy's face, and as fast as it started, it's over. Apaltra relaxes completely and Finx releases her arm, catching her now almost limp body with his own.

Appy shivers once, but regains her posture and turns towards the audience. "As you understand, that stopped the fight. Had I not.." Appy shakes her head but continues, "I should first tell you what I didn't finish with. With Apaltra's Rage, only the last danger counts: The inability to know when to stop. This was a talent recognised by a mutual friend of ours, and trained to the fullest with his help and knowledge. This was before Apaltra gained access to any magic. After that, it became only more dangerous as you could see from her speed, and this..."

Finx turns carefully, and shows the hand that was going for his head. Slowely moving away but still visible is a skin of stone.

"This too she seems to use on instinct, as using magic requires a lot of concentration normally."

Apaltra sighs deeply and spits on the ground once, as if to loose a disgusting taste. She embraces Finx's head for a moment, thanking him, and gets up on her own feet again. Slowely colour comes back to her face, and her eyes loose the far-sight look, becomming more focused on the present. She checks her arm, sees that it's bleeding, but not heavily and disregards it for the moment. Appy smiles as she gives her the microphone, stepping aside.

"Well said, Appy, and I thank you for paying attention so well..as well as using that word once more" Appy blushes slightly as Apaltra also thanks Finx for his assistance and then turns to the audience and judges.

"I hope I didn't cause any discomfort tonight. I was told that my scream can do that to some." Apaltra looks at the judges, "But I doubt they would've allowed that..." Turning back to the audience she explains that, while she always has access to this Rage-state when fighting, it won't come out unless she wills it, as she did tonight.

Smiling she wishes the next contestant luck, and thanks the audience for their attention.

Then, putting her hand on Finx's head again, Apaltra bows once and walks off to collect her cape and the heap of weapons.

Edited by Appy

Peredhil absent-mindedly renews the Area-Healing he'd put into effect when Wyvern had first been announced. He'd hoped it unnecessary, but with Wyvern he'd learned not to take chances.

Wyvern almost *always* needed healing, and one never knew where the Elder would end up.

As it had turned out, the background healing spell had proven useful continually since. Singes cooled, cuts closed, and other minor ailments vanished with unnatural speed.

One of the nicest features was pretty much unnoticed. No one itched for the duration of the show thus far.

He'd looked on with some concern when Finx had appeared, but the lion seemed well-cared for and, on hearing the communications between Apaltra and her friend, he relaxed completely.

There's a soft "thud" coming from behind the curtains, and after some growling noises Stephen stumbles onto the stage. Quickly regaining his balance, he frowns slightly at the grinning wolf that enters soon after him.

::Wolf-Lady, for all the respect I have for you...::

::Your own fault, dear friend. Everything I could do in the pageant is restricted to wolf form, and so I can just butt and claw at you instead of taking your arm to drag you in.:: There's an unmistakable innocent grin conveyed by Tanny's mental voice, and Stephen ends up grinning also.

::Alright... no tricks this time, I promise.::

Cleaning his throat, Stephen bows to the judges.

"As Apaltra, Tanny also believes that Talent comes as a gift. The most known of her talents, then, is the shapechanging from wolf to tanuki or human, and I have seen her changing easily from one to the other in some different occasions. Unfortunately, she is bound by a ... promise... to keep to her wolf-shape in this contest, so that rules out any demonstration of that particular talent."

Tanny growls soflty. ::Luckily for you, I keep my promises, Ranger. But you will soooo regret some of your tricks... ::

::Tricks? I'm just a poor translator... not even being paid for this job!::

::Something you should be used to, after working for Wyvern last Carnival...::

Stephen hides a shudder, and surprises Tanny with an extra comment before the agreed presentation. "She has also demonstrated a talent to survive a mission on behalf of the Almost Draconic Brand™ Products, which I share with her... but that is a whole other story that's recorded somewhere else. But, during that mission, she has fully demonstrated her amazing skills at channeling elemental energy, even teaching me a thing or two; and that is what she'll be doing right now - a demonstration of her energy-manipulation skills."

::Thanks, Stephen. That was really kind of you.:: She bows to him, then sits down comfortably.

Stephen leaves for a while, coming back with some potted plants and one empty flower pot that he gives to the judges. Sensing Tanny already grounded and centered, tapping into earth's energy, he steps back and continues in a soft voice.

"It's not easy to work on potted plants, as their contact with the true power of earth is limited by their conditions. However, the soil you see in these pots was prepared specifically for this, by having their link to earth reinforced by a previous weaving using both earth and water energies. By using that stabilized touch, Tanny's able to nudge gentle growth..."

Tanny reinforces her nudge with a touch of watery thread, coaxing the seeds in the pot in front of Mynx to wake from their sleep. Slowly, tiny green stalks appear on the surface of the soil, and a couple of leaves open on each one.

"As both Tanny and I know, and also many of you, nature's forces shouldn't be used to force unnatural situations. Although she could make another effort and actually make those seedlings grow and mature, we both felt that it would be wrong doing so. Those plants will now grow on their own pace, and with the energy threaded on that soil they won't suffer from being potted instead of growing in the ground."

Peredhil stoops a bit to examine the seedlings and sense their health, and is surprised when a crawling plant on the pot in front of him winds itself around his little finger.

Smiling, Stephen explains. "Through the right weaving, it's also possible to direct the growth of some plants, like crawling ones and vines. She has used that more than once to create entanglements and almost-nets to distract and escape unfriendly creatures."

Smoothing the thread she's manipulating, Tanny makes the plant unwind and rest in its due place. Finally, the potted flowers slowly bloom, and a glimmering net of silver can be seen over them for some seconds before it disappears.

With a soft sight, Tanny bows to the judges and leaves. Stephen smiles.

"The flowers that bloomed will remain so until they're transplanted back into the ground, where the last weaving will dissipate naturally whle in contact with their energy source. Meanwhile, she asks you to treat them well, and either keep them or give them to those who appreciate their beauty. Thank you."

Stumpy hopped out onto the stage with an evil grin. He had hidden his true self for far too long and it was high time he showed the world...or atleast the pageant what he was made of. Stumpies grin turned to a dead serious expression and within a moments time...he began to speak. Turning the judges way...Stumpy smiled.

Stumpy-"Hello, my names Stumpy and my talent is blackmail. I'm not above lieing nor am I above cheating. I simply want to point out that I can make certain peoples lives rather distasteful. Do you get my drift?" Stumpy looked around one last time before returning back stage...once more dawning an evil grin.

Edited by Black9

Stumpy had barely left the stage when a swelling noise can be heard. As it gets closer, some of the more perceptive judges and members of the audience think they can make out what the noise is - a drawn-out "waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!"

As Tom screeches to a halt in the middle of the stage, various light objects like sticks, stones, cattle, sheep and a very confused farmer that were pulled in his wake crash to the ground, and those that are able to move themselves walk away, mooing, bleating or muttering to themselves.

"I'm not too late, am I? I mean, I'm still on time to show my talent, right? Even though I didn't really have the time to prepare, 'cause, you see, I was busy. There was a massive burning of tomatoes planned, and me an' the guys had to be there to stop them. I'm pleased to announce that we saved 'em, even though I was still half-asleep. Oh, I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank Apaltra for her care last round."

With these words, Tom turns around, hops up and down on the stage a few times in an attempt to look backstage to get a glimpse of Apaltra. Not seeing her due to his inability to jump high enough to look over the curtains, he gives up and waves in the general direction "back-stage". Then he turns back to the audience.

"Right. I'd planned a lot of stuff for this, but due to lack of time I'll just stick to showing you my l337 w34p0n sk1lLz0rz!"

While everyone is trying to figure out what the little guy just said, Tom reaches his hands into his cloak to check whether everything is in place, takes a deep breath, and a few steps towards the edge of the stage.

"Now don't worry - I'm not going to hurt anyone, no matter how dangerous it might look. I know what I'm doing, so please, do not panic!"

Having said that, Tom reaches into his cloak, and pulls out what seems to be the contents of a medium-sized weapon depot. In his right hand he holds two miniguns, seven Desert Eagles, a flamethrower, a couple of AK-47s, something that looks like a minor nuclear bomb, and a shotgun. His left hand seems to be holding a rocket launcher, an experimental railgun, more grenades than you can shake a stick at, three more shotguns, a couple of MP-5s, and something that looks like a futuristic plasma weapon. The interesting thing, though, is that every single one of these weapons is finished with one of those red plastic caps you see on children's toys, and although the painting is pretty good, it is clear that most of the weapons are made from plastic.

With a last mean look (which nobody sees because it's hidden in his hood) Tom puts the weapons away as quickly as he took them, bows to the audience and the judges, and hops off the stage.

"Sorry I'm late.....Sorrysorrysorry, I can do this in time, really, please, just a quick glace in my direction and you will note my wonderful skill..... "

Mallory's voice carries over the area, just as the judges were looking to close the third round.

The Judges glance to the stage area, and exchange looks of utter confuson at the complete emptyness of it.

Then, in the way that only a toon can balance, Mallory suddenly appeared, the stack of rather surprised cows almost sweeping away the judges table as the sway to impossible points angles from her grip at the bottom of the whole stack.

Mallory herself swaying dangerously from the seat of a small wheeled but somehow very tall unicycle, her free hand waving a small flag to draw the judges attention from the stack of suprised cows still swaying over their heads.

As the crowd gasps, Mallory throws the flag into the air, followed by the first cow. The second cow follows shortly after as the flag and the first seem to soar to an impossible height. Then the third and fourth almost similtainiously follow. and just as the flag beginns its decent, the fifth and sixth cows join the scene of airborne bovines.

the next moment all seems controlled, Mallory is perfectly perched in the seat od the rather talll unicycle, her small delicate arms working up a small blur as she juggles the six mooing bovines and a small flag. the stunned crowd holds their combined breath, waiting for the enevitable to transpire.

"I told you I could do it, thank you, thank you for letting me take just a moment longer of your time."

Mallory steps off the unicycle, it in turn skitters off to the left and the first cow hits her from above styfling her attempted bow to the judges table, the second and third land in the growing cloud of dust with rather comical mooing as background sound effects, followed by the last three one after the other.

The flag seems to float down gently as if in no real hurry to finalise the comotion, but at the last second of its decent, turns into an anvil, and hits mallory as she attempts to stand up in the middle of a very surprised pile of cows.

The dust clears........

Mallory Bows to the table of judges, and prances off stage giggling, swaying a bit from the impact of bovines, and swatting at the small band of animated mynxes Gryphons and Peredhils that circles her head.

:raven:

As soon as Mallory left the stage, Thomas came in in run - after getting himself disentangled from the curtains once more.

"I'm sorry for my lateness, but I had some trouble choosing just one among all the marvelous ballads that I have in my memory. But finally I'm here, to sing for you the Ballad of the Mariner, an old legend of lands far, far away."

He bowed graciously, and then raised his silver flute above his head. Then looked at it with a puzzled frown.

Wait... flute? What is my flute doing here, and where is my lute?

To disguise his confusion, Thomas bowed once again and summarized the story told by the ballad. But, with half his mind trying to sort out how he had come on stage to sing a ballad using a flute, he managed to tell the story of a solitary butterfly who flew away to find happiness above the clouds.

While the judges blinked and whispered among themselves, wondering how a butterfly could be a mariner, Thomas finally sighed and, bowing once more, took the flute to his lips.

The melody was beautifully haunting, and filled the eyes of the audience with tears for the sheer strength of the longing it conveyed. After the short introduction, Thomas breathed and started singing. The first verses presented the rabbits and wolves in the forest, waiting for the Mage who would finally free the magic imprisoned in the ancient node.

"Wasn't it about a mariner?" whispered Stephen, not far from the stage.

"I thought it was about a butterfly... " Tanny shook her head.

Flute music silenced the audience once more, but the hauting melody was gone, replaced by a contagious dancing rhythm. When Thomas sang the next couplet, they talked about the seagulls cavorting in the air, fighting butterflies for the right to fly above the clouds.

After some minutes of juggling flute and words, Thomas' eyes got caught by a smile from a charming girl right in the middle of the audience. Thus distracted, he ended his presentation with a sigh and some absent-minded, murmured words.

Charming smile,

promising eyes

lady of many faces

pity this poor Minstrel...

Still entranced by the smile, he bowed and left.

~~~~

Edit: typos

Edited by Tanuchan

Mynx glanced at the other two judges. They had gone well over time and still not everyone had displayed a talent.

With a helpless shrug, Mynx rose from her seat and transformed to CheerMynx as she reached the stage.

"Round Three is like totally over people! I'm sorry if not everyone got to post but we are like totally running out of time! There will be a short hiatus until the questions for Round Four are sent out so please just be patient and we will get back to the contest as soon as totally possible!"

OOC: You will all be PMd a question as soon as we have thought up enough.

Please be patient...