The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Coming soon!

Venefyxatu enters the Cabaret room carrying a scroll and, with a quick look around the room, walks over to the notice board. He finds an empty spot and attaches the scroll, wondering whether this is a good idea. After all, he hardly knows Achib, but the man had seemed so enthusiastic that he couldn't refuse the favour.

Coming soon, to this very Keep! 

From a Countery dat is very very very very very very very very far awaye, a Greate Magicke User will arrive soon.  With hym, hee will bring veray virauoau vaarou several Magickel bo0ks that hee will s3ll really really really really really really really really really cheap (Almost For Free!!).

Please wryte your naemes on thIs paper, so dere wull bee no fyghtinge afterwards over who got dees Greate Magickel bo0ks!

Bee th3re or bee a geometrical shape with four equally long sides and four right angles!

Cynsea

Sensu

Senseeerlaye

Regards,

Achib El Assis Ibn Moussif El Rasjid

OOC : Yes, it's my Quill Quest! Thanks to ideas coming from two good friends (who will get their moment in the spotlight later – *evil grin* ) and maybe because of the heat melting my brain I'm going to do it.

The idea is as follows : Pennites who sign up will get a chance to buy one of Achib's books. This will happen in a roleplay-style-ish post that will be written as a collaboration between me and the Pennite.

When you have your book, I will describe the story through means of its short contents. And this is where the fun starts : I told you they were magical books, and that they're being sold by Achib. This means that each book will have an ... interesting quality. There are three variants :

• The book might suit you perfectly (favourite genre, places / events you love, ...)
  • The book absolutely does not suit you (most hated genre, places / events you fear or hate, ...)
  • The book draws you into one of its characters (a character you either love or hate), thus forcing you to view part of the story from this character's perspective until you are released. These books will be existing (in the Real World) and rather well-known books.
(note : when I said “you”, I meant “your character” :P)

What kind you get will depend on coincidence, inspiration, and the colour of the socks my neighbour will wear three weeks after your book has been written.

If you, as a writer or roleplayer, feel inspired, you're more than welcome to continue on this : either return the book, pass it on to a friend (*evil chuckle*), review it, ... This way you can make up your own details as well, if you want to do so. If you don't want to / don't have time / ... you are by no means forced to do so.

I'm going to try and put at least one reference to an existing book / movie / game in every book, which will hopefully make for some fun guessing at the end.

Oh, and of course, by signing up you agree to the fact that I may bug you with questions about your character so I can tailor your book to match (or not match ... ) your character. I promise I'll behave! *grin*

I'm going to be careful and limit initial sign-ups to 12 people. If I didn't make sense, please feel free to ask any questions you may have, either here, through pm's, messengers, ...

Wondering what her friend was doing to do in the Cabaret Room, Sweet follows him in. From a distance she quietly watches the mage, who is so busy doing his own thing that he doesn’t even notice the curious looks of the little girl. After he leaves the Cabaret Room, Sweet bounces over to see what is written on the scroll he’d just hung up.

With wrinkles in her forehead the girl reads, and slowly her face turns into a big grin, “Magickel Bo0ks…now that sounds like something for me, and the man can spell!” Sweet fumbles in her pockets for a pen to sign her name with, “Now how do I sign my name, without a pen..” she mutters as her fingers run across the stamp she found in Wyvern’s office. With a frown she pulls it out and looks at it , but then her face brightens and she starts to draw.

Ten minutes later she steps back and admires her work. The scroll now reads her name written with big ACCEPTED stamps. Unfortunately some of it didn’t fit on the scroll so she had to work on the wall as well, but at least from a distance it reads Sweet. Happy with her work she bounces out in search of Venefixmetoo to ask him all the question she already has about these Magickel Bo0ks.

Edited by Sweetcherrie

"Books?"

Tanny perks her ears at the magic words, and bounds to the Cabaret where she reads the sign carefully.

"Hmm... seems soooo fun!"

Grinning, she places her paw onto the sign, leaving her characteristic paw-print. Then, just to be sure she'll be properly identified, she changes into her human form and signs ner name beside the pawprint.

Bee th3re or bee a geometrical shape with four equally long sides and four right angles!

I love how his grammar and spelling suddenly became very good at the end there. ;)

I'm kind of confused about just what the rest of us do, but I'll sign up anyway, with Inbi Infusco.

PS. Do we get bonus points for figuring out who the "two friends" are? :P

*bounce bounce bounce bounce SCREEECH*

Appy, who had been bouncing around the Cabaret Room, came to a screeching stop after passing the notice board

*wiggle wiggle*

Slowely but surely she manages to wiggle her skippybal backwards, and glares up at the notice

*big eyes, read on, bigger eyes, read some more, GREED*

Appy reaches behind her and pokes at the notice with her pen, leaving a neat drawing of a moose and small girl under all the other signer-uppers

*nod, grin*

With a satisfied nod and while grinning wide, Appy bounces off again, determined to make it to 20 rounds of the Cabaret Room without pause... this time

OOC: ^_^

Ayshela scurried through the Cabaret, intent on finishing the last of the end-of-school-year activities that involved her charges. Hearing the word "Books" she came to a screeching halt, sliding several feet as she swung around. All other thought having fled her mind, she read the notice and, with a broad smile, signed with a flourish.

BOOKS! I am SO there! =)

Sounds like tons of fun!

But nonetheless really happy at seeing so much interest :D

I will mostly try to stick with a "first-come, first-serve" order, although if I get inspired for someone then "first-come first-serve" will be forgotten in the blink of an eye :P

As for what all of you will be doing : it starts with an exercise in patience (until I get to you) :), followed by a separate roleplayed post for everyone. I'll write your post together with you (because it'll include both your character and Achib).

After (and probably during) that, there will be questions from me about your character, so I can write up what your book is about.

After that it's up to you : if you wish to write something based on your book that would be great, if you don't want to I'll just assume that you're happy with it and took it to your quarters (miiine, my oownn, my ... prrrrreciousss) :)

Edit : in an attempt to make it less confusing.

Edited by Venefyxatu

Salinye ran into the cabaret room skidding around the corner and slamming into a very startled Patrick Durham. "errr Salinye?" He asked eyeing her. Her hair was a complete tousled mess, she was still in flannel pj's and had obnoxious fox slippers on. (A rather vain gift from Daryl).

"Am I too late?" She gasped grabbing his arm to rebalance herself and looking around the room.

"Too late? For what?" He asked.

"Magical books! MAGICAL books! I have to have one. I MUST! I just heard about it and came right down here! Am I too late?"

"Well, aren't you a mage? Why didn't you just teleport down here?" He asked the obvious question and her face went aflame with a blush as that would have been MUCH easier.

"I errr....prefer to travel as the unmagically gifted do so that I errr...don't make anyone feel badly....?"

"Okaaay..."

"PATRICK! WHERE are the magical books?!" She couldn't wait any longer.

"Salinye, they aren't here, you just have to sign up on that list and hope there are enough. They'll be offered first come first serve."

"OH NO!" She ran to the list and saw quite a few names already there. "NO NO NO! I HAVE to have one of those books!" Looking around, she noticed quite a few people staring at her, as she had made quite a scene. Attempting to smooth her bed head hair down she smiled and casually touched the list at the top putting her name at the very top of the list before everyone elses only to see it mysteriously drop to the bottom.

"Blasted mages and their tricky paper." She mumbled to herself before taking Patrick's advice and teleporting back to her suite to at the very least get dressed and brush her hair before wandering into the public areas of the keep.

~Salinye :fairy:

As Venefyxatu came to take a look at the paper, he was pleasantly surprised to see that the twelve spots were already filled. Curling the corners of his lips slightly in something resembling a grin, he notices the last traces of ink from Salinye's name settling in at the bottom of the list.

"Achib will be happy when he sees this," he mumbles to himself.

Passing YanYan on his way back to his rooms, Venefyxatu gives him a friendly nod before going on.

OOC : Yay! 12 sign-uppees! (is that a word? :blink: ) That means I've got no excuse anymore to put off starting the actual QQ instead of only having a sign-up thread ... one of these days I'll really make the introduction post ;)

And so it begins ... I've been rolling some percentile dice (and got some funny rolls - quite a lot below 10, two 89's in a row, twice a 20 ... how often do you see that? :P) and divided who's going to get what kind of book.

You don't have to do anything yet - I'll contact you and I'll know where to find you ... all of you :ph34r:

Yui : I'm quite sure that Achib has more stuff than just 12 books with him ... most likely some more books and several magical items.

*leans back in his imaginary leather chair, making the leather creak as he puts his fingertips against each other in an evil kind of way*

I'm going to make you an offer you can't refuse ... ;)

Seriously, though, I think I can do another book, so consider yourself signed up :)

I was also thinking about having Achib use the opportunity of the Carnival to earn some extra gold. Essentially, my QQ thread would also become my carnival booth thread. Could you (or anyone else with the necessary powers) change the subtitle of the actual thread to something along the lines of "QQ and Carnival booth" ?

I think that this answers Tanny's question as well - feel free to use the thread for roleplaying, both related to my QQ and the Carnival. If you're inspired, don't hesitate to use Achib in your posts either - he's the typical corrupted, cowardly Oriental vendor you see in so many movies; every single one of his magical items is somehow corrupted, and in order to get as much gold for it as possible he'll surround them with mystery, stories, and powerful properties that are not necessarily present.

If you don't feel confident writing him, don't worry - I'll drop by often enough to have him offer items to anyone in his tent, or to write out his reactions should they be required.

Oh, also : thank you whoever added the stickyness! :D

Edited by Venefyxatu