The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Werewolf X: And then they were...

First and foremost, here's a quick reminder of the rules specific to this particular game.

• There will be only one Wolf and the Seer. No Baner.

• The first play before the first kill will last for 72 hours, devided in three parts. I want to give players more time to roleplay their character as I'll ask them to be a bit more fleshed out than the usual WW char.

• Players will determine which other player will be killed by PMing their vote to me. The voting will occur during the last 24 hours of the initial 72 hours of play. Whom will get the most vote will die.

• Roles will be attributed after the initial kill and night phase will happen.

• Then, the game will proceed with its day phase where this time, the vote is public like in the other Werewolf games, then it'll shift back to night phase until the Wolf is caught or there's only one Villager left.

List of players:

1. Dragonqueen (Adelaide Welsh - Rich eccentric heir and artist)

2. Salinye (Claudia VanCluesan-Millionnaire widow socialite)

3. Katzaniel (Victoria Butler - Widow of a politician)

4. Mira (Flats Landon)

5. Ozymandias (William Christopher Horton the fifth - Party goer and British Oil Baron)

6. Vahktang (Tom Baker - politician)

7. Elwen (Lady Melia Darshiva)

8. Tanuchan (Anna Raven - Governess)

9. Cryptomancer (Luke Jesson- Vagrant Jack of all Trades)

10. Degenero Angelus (Jeremy Erikson)

Without further ado, here's the beginning of a grueling nightmare.

A bright sun grace this day of August 24 1936. In England, it was a perfect day for strolling outside, playing polo games, hunting and even better, going over a quaint remote island. Nine people, from all ages and classes, are making their way over a charming Devon quay with trains and cars. All of them have in hand an invitation from Mr. Hunbe Kant, who is rumored to be the newest eccentric hedonist to inhabitate the Nigger's Island.

Meanwhile, in the island's manor, Anna Raven is making sure everything is ready for the guest as a soup is heating up and ducks a roasting in a large oven.

Captain Jack Grant, a sturdy sailor in his mid 30's, is welcoming all the guests one by one, gently hand-kissing the ladies while warmly shaking the gentlemen's hands. After everyone is seated in his boat, the Captain speaks up to everyone.

- Ladies and gentlemen, I'm Captain Jack Grant and it'll be a pleasure to drive you over Nigger's Island. I hope you'll enjoy your stay as well as Mr. Kant's hospitality for the week.

The moors are released and the boat is sailing over Nigger's Island.

(OOC: Time to roleplay and introduce your characters to each other for the next 24 hours)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Victoria Butler let the captain kiss her hand, wondering vaguely whether he recognized her or acted so freely with every woman he met. His chatter seemed to indicate the latter, and Victoria was tired of listening to him after only a few words. Having grown up with political scheming all around her, however, she was acutely aware how even inane banter could later be useful, so she kept half a mind on him.

The first to arrive, the middle-aged woman looked around the boat for the best seat. It would not do to allow her blue flowered dress, bought just for this occasion, to get wet, nor for her freshly curled hair to be blown out of place. Thus, she must search out a spot away from the waves but shaded from the wind. Catching sight of just such a seat, the centre of the first row, Victoria thanked the captain for his welcome and strode to it. She smoothed out her dress before sitting, adjusted her straw hat, and waited.

Tom had told her that he had gotten an invitation, as well. He had assured her that he would come. She wondered vaguely if he would have the guts to sit next to her, or whether he'd arrive early enough to have the option. Mentally shrugging off the question, Victoria began studying the other guests as they arrived.

Quick OOC: Vahk's name is Baker, mine was the one changed to Butler...

Adelaide stepped onto the boat, on time as usual. She flashed a quick smile at the captain, and took a seat near the edge. Folding her long legs under her, she turned her face to the sea. Addy loved the sea. She smiled briefly. Her parents and sister had enjoyed the sea shore too. It was one of the few things they all had in common.

Drifting back to the event at hand, Adelaide glanced over at the other occupant of the boat. She sniffed. The woman looked like the type Addy loved to hate. It would give her something to do, at least.

Bored, Addy sighed and looked out to sea again. She ran her fingers through her hair and attempted to look mildly pleasent, then gave it up. Rummaging around in the large black messenger bag at her side, Adelaide pulled out a pair of cat's eye sunglasses. Settling them on her nose, she settled for a suggestion of a smile and relaxed. First impressions were so important, and mantaining her eccentric appearence and reputation was vital to Miss Welsh.

Anna takes mental notes while going around the kitchen looking for the appropriate chinaware and silverware to be used. Then, she expertly checks the ducks being roasted, and frowns once more remembering the words in the letter she has received.

London, July 26 1936

Miss Anna Raven,

I have heard good words from one of your former employers, Mrs Petulia Bess, and I'm a eager to hire you as a cook and governess in my Nigger's Island residence. I expect you to be on the island by this August 23. You'll have further instructions and information about your salary and conditions by then.

Courteously yours,

Mr. Humbe R. Kant

She sighs, shaking her head.

Well, this is really ... odd... Maybe Mr. Kant will arrive with the guests? Who would say I'd arrive to find this house empty and another letter telling me to get everything ready for nine guests?

She leaves the kitchen after checking the soup, and from one of the windows she gazes at the sea.

They must be arriving soon... I wonder what kind of people they are? Well... most of them probably are like other people I've already worked for. I guess I won't have anything to be worried about... except that I really would like to have someone to help me. Nine people aren't that many, really... but if it's just me about cooking and taking care of the house, I should talk to Mr. Kant.

She keeps looking at the horizon, and a small smile appears on her lips as she remembers another place, at another time, where she gazed at the sea and felt the gentle breeze.

Edited by Tanuchan

Luke Jesson approached the boat, watching the two women that already waited aboard. He was feeling better than he had in a long time thanks to a good night's sleep in a very comfortable hotel, and the very well fitting new clothes, all from his newest employer, Mr Kant.

He was outfitted in khaki, the clothing cut to the appearance of a uniform, almost military, but not quite. it felt good to wear it, like it suited him. His usual unkempt brown hair was washed and combed back, tied in a loose ponytail by a length of black leather. he had shaved for the first time in months, and stood enjoying the sea air on his cheeks.

As Luke boarded the boat, he was greeted and welcomed by the Captain, returning his handshake and greeting formally, still remembering the years of training, and ettiquite that service can instill in a person.

He walked to the far side of the deck, purposely passing each of the ladies in turn to offer greetings, before leaning casually on the rail, looking back to the gangway, awaiting the other passangers.

Anna blinks, coming back to the present, and bites her lip.

No... that's gone. I should forget him.

A determined look replaces the dreamy one, and she turns back to the house. Seeing there's nothing to be done in the kitchen for a while still, she gets the list of guests and decides for a final check in their rooms.

Well, one last time, just to be sure I got everything right... first floor. First room to the right of the stairs... Ms. Claudia VanCluesan.

She enters the room, checking the bedclothes and the items over the dresser, keeping an eye for anything looking out of place or not impeccably clean. Satisfied, she goes to the other rooms after checking the name at the door and locking it. She puts the key back in the envelope with Miss Welch's name.

To the right of Ms. Claudia's... Mr. Flats London.

Everything all right here.

She leaves Flats' room, then goes to the other side of the stairs.

Still first floor... first room to the left of the stairs, Mr. Jeremy Erickson.

Okay. Then, the next rooms... Mr. Luke Jesson... right in front of the Dining Room.

Then mine...

She goes upstairs, to the second floor.

Now, the second floor...

To the right of the stairs, first room... Mr. Tom Baker...

... then Ms. Victoria Butler.

In front of Ms. Victoria's, there's Mr. William Horton's.

She stops to take a look at the balcony, right in front of the stairs, then proceeds to the other rooms.

To the left of the stairs... first Lady Melia Darshiva...

... then Mr. Kant's.

In front of Mr. Kant's... Miss Adelaide Welch.

Closing the last door and putting away the last key, Anna goes back to the living room and leaves the nine envelopes over the mantelpiece, awaiting for the guests.

Well, it seems everything is ready... now, back to the kitchen. I really wish I had someone to help me...

Stop worrying, Anna. Your days of whining are over... they've been over for a long time. You know you're up to the trust Mr. Kant seems to have on you.

But I wish I knew why he isn't here.

~~~~

Edit: Lady Celes sent me the floor plan of the Manor... :blink:

Edit2: added Deg's character's name.

Edited by Tanuchan

Grinning toothily at the Captain from his place at the railing, the young man with the flashing green eyes, flame orange hair, and suit of the finest silk and satin drawing at least a glance from even the men, so magnetic was his look, sanguine energy, and graceful bearing as he stepped forward smoothly, purposefully when the man finished his speech.

By distinct looks, carriage, and youth, most present quickly recognized him as William Christopher Horton V, oil magnate, wealthy even out of all the other old British Middle Eastern oil baronies- and noted "party enthusiast". All present grudgingly or otherwise could see why he was so noted, though none of them had met William before. The sheer enthusiasm he seemed to radiate felt as though it lifted their own spirits.

Inhaling theatrically, William let the breath go with a wistful sigh. "Now this is class! A savior-faire that is all too uncommon in this day and age. Even a ferry out to the grand estate- as though we were medieval nobility arriving at a royal feast!", he laughed.

"Grand!" His smile slips briefly, as he seems to move and look around for a drink, and of course finds none on the ship. "Ah well. There shall be ample opportunity for toasting this eve, I shouldn't wonder", he smiled disarmingly at Adelaide.

Throwing his arms wide enough to force Luke Jesson to step quickly out of the way to avoid a blow to the chin (though William seemed to notice this not at all), William declared loudly to all, "The last of the great soirees of the inestimable Hunbe Kant! Ha! This will be a party to remember!"

Tom Baker looked at the small boat and then to the far away island.

He disliked boats. Had a tendency for sea sickness.

Well, nothing to be done.

He took a sip from his silver flask and slipped it back into his inside coat pocket.

'Ah, Victoria is on the boat already. Nothing to be done then. I hope we get rooms close together.'

'Who's the clown with the orange hair. Ah yes. Horton, in oil. I've met and worked well with Texas oil barons, this one shouldn't be so different.'

Baker dismissed the cab, threw the stub of cigarette on the ground, and hefted his two suitcases and made his way to the quay.

He glad handed the captain, gave him a light greeting and handed over his luggage for the man to secure.

Carefully make his way across the gang plank, he looked for a place to sit down, eyeing enviously the place next to Virginia.

He finally made his decision and swayed his way over to her, looking for the invitation to sit next to her.

In the mean time...

"Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. Since our host does not seem to be here, allow me to introduce myself.

"I am Tom Baker, just returned from an extended stay in America, if you were wondering about my accent.

"I recognize Mr. William Christopher Horton the fifth," and this gets a nod, a tip of the hat and a 'cherio' from him, "and I am already acquainted with Mrs. Victoria Butler. But I am sorry to say that I don't have the pleasure of knowing the rest of you."

He then waits for the others to introduce themselves.

Luke stepped forward, "Good day sir, My name is Jesson, It is a pleasuse to make your aquaintance. Please, call me Luke."

Luke and Tom Shook hands. "I seem to be at a disadvantage here. Most already seem to know at least one other, I unfortunately seem to be from a very different circle of association." Luke glanced at the young man that had almost struck him with his exuberance, "But at least I can see that all groups have a clown, of sorts."

Turning to Mr Horton, he extended a hand of greeting, and with a smile inquired, "Sir, Shall I address you as Mr Horton, or by a more familiar name?"

Victoria watched as passengers climbed aboard the boat. The oil baron arrived and, as usual, became the centre of attention. Tom came and introduced himself to everyone. She nodded slightly when he said her name, but most of the passengers were too busy fawning over Mr. Horton to notice. "Sit down honey," she murmured to Tom, "You just look silly standing there."

Victoria looked around again as he sat, not being particularily impressed with current company. The young oil magnate might be a good one to know, but now was not the time to approach him. The others seemed painfully unconnected. At least Tom would be good company, if he didn't get it into his head to steal the spotlight again. Victoria wondered how many had been invited, and whether they might set sail early.

Claudia chewed on a peice of peppermint gum as she stood on the landing below the platform that led up onto the boat. Her luggage (far more than she would need for the trip) was gathered about her feet where the hired help had left it. Toying with the long strand of pearls that hung from her neck with one hand and drawing from a cigarette held in a long slender holder, suspended between two delicate fingers, she kept looking around. People passed her and she nodded her head and smiled when appropriate. She may have been too overdressed for the trip in her sparkly sequined evening gown, but she didn't care. The spoils of her newfound independant wealth allowed her to dress however she wished, and she liked to look rich.

"Where is he?" She thought to herself. "If he doesn't get here soon, he'll miss the boat!" Sighing to herself she mumbled, barely audible, "If I'm not waiting for a man to drop dead, then I'm waiting for another to show up!"

The three latees finally jump in the boat, Flats being welcomed with a glare from Claudia, who told him how worried she was. Now, the ropes are released and the boat sails toward the island

OOC: This is not phase two, I'm strechting phase one in order to give the opportunity for the three other people to introduce their characters. So now, everyone's on the boat and chatting with each other, or at least trying too.

Adelaide watched the other passengers arrive from behind her shades. She loved how none of them could see her eyes. It gave her a certain air, she thought.

Not bothering to introduce herself, Addy didn't think any of her companions seemed exceptionally interesting, except for perhaps Claudia. Hearing Luke's comment to Mr. Horton - "Sir, Shall I address you as Mr. Horton, or by a more familiar name?" - she raised an eyebrow. What was that? Apparently those two had a history. Adelaide narrowed her eyes. I"ll bet he thinks he's clever..., she thought. There's no reason for him to show up and act like that...but perhaps he already knows Mr. Baker and Mr. Horton...I doubt it...

With half an ear to the conversation happening around her, Adelaide let her attention drift. Briefly she wondered if she should bother to introduce herself, but dismissed it as too much of an effort. Instead, Miss Welsh studied the water, speculating on the best way to capture it on paper.

Turning to Mr Horton, he extended a hand of greeting, and with a smile inquired, "Sir, Shall I address you as Mr Horton, or by a more familiar name?"

His hand was taken and pumped with vigor. Horton had a steely grip, Luke was mildly surprised to note. "Call me Will, William, Bill, Billiam, Billy...whatever you please, really. Just don't call me Mister Horton. Makes me feel too much like I'm still at the offices.", the smile fairly purred at him.

luke grinned, "William, a pleasure to meet you, please call me Luke. I must say that I am please at least some of the wealthy still act like real men."

Returning to a leasurely lean in the rails, Luke watched the other passengers, "I must say William, you do seem well observed, if not well known, by all but myself. What is it that you involve yourself in that seems to attract such attention?"

As he spoke Luke winked at the lady hiding behind her glasses, flashing her a smile as he did so.

:raven:

Anna tastes the soup, adding some more spices until she's satisfied.

How I hated peeling potatoes at the orphanage... sister Elisa was a pain in the neck, really. I'd never dare to ask Mariah to to such thing... well, she would never have to, being Lady Morrain's daughter, but... I guess I was her age. Now, where's the rosemary and the sage? I'll need those for the roast...

She opens the oven, tasting the gravy then again adding more spices.

Mother Rania knew better how to teach... maybe that's why there are no teachers at an orphanage, they are all too busy to enter such places. They know there are children at schools that need their care, but most of them never thought about the motherless...

I'm glad she found me. I'm glad she taught me to read and write... and to cook as well.

Satisfied with the cooking, Anna cleans the kitchen and leaves for her room.

Mrs. Bess... it was the first house I worked in, and she was really strict about her servants. I've always thought she never liked me, but it seems I was wrong... it's true that I learned how to work well under those eagle's eyes. I suppose I have to be grateful to her.

She picks a simple but tasty dark blue dress, adequate to receive the guests and at the same time work. Over that, she puts a light blue apron.

I wonder how Mr. Kant guessed what I would need here...

Looking at the mirror, she brushes her long black hair then pins it in a practical bun. Some strands of hair frame her lovely face, adding a simple beauty to her features. She frowns, though, pushing the strands back.

Black, silky feathers... no, I won't think of this.

After a final look at the mirror, she picks her keys. As she locks her door, her eyes fall onto the other keys.

Library, games' room, storeroom, kitchen... but a lighthouse? It's true that captain Grant mentioned how dire the weather can be, and that there are rocks near the beach... but then, I wonder why there's no one to man the lighthouse...

Lady Melia brushed her long blond hair back from her face with a slender hand, as she adjusted the hat that protected her pale skin from the sun.

Today had not been a good day. Why had she agreed to come to this party, she didn't know, but she was regretting it now.

She sat back and simply watched the others.

Watching and waiting...that was her specialty. It helped that most people didn't see past her beautiful face...

Tom pasted a smile back on his face to match 'Billy's'.

He knew the type.

Bonhomie.

Life of the party.

Reminded him of that annoying Nicky Holiday fellow that he met a few weeks ago.

But, 'a fool and his money' and all that.

"I agree with you Luke. Character makes a man, not his money."

He shakes both gentleman's hands, and, when their attention is drawn away, sits next to Victoria.

He speaks to her softly, smiling. No one outside of 5' will even know they are talking. And there is no one even close to that.

"I missed you, Victoria."

She did the same, long experience having her check her surroundings and make it look casual.

"And I, you, Tom."

"Will we see each other?"

"I'm certain we will. At dinner. After dinner drinks."

"Dancing?"

She remembers that he dances divinely, a strong lead. She felt warm and safe in your arms.

"Yes. But for now, I think we should engage that sweepstakes winner over there," she said, indicating Claudia VanCluesan," and the poet over there," indicating Adelaide.

"And the quiet beauty off in the corner," he said, indicating Lady Melia.

"I didn't think you would miss her, Tom. Go and be friendly."

He began to get up but she touched his sleeve and he settled down again.

"But not too friendly."

Tom then did get up and moved over to Lady Melia, approaching her and then holding out his hand, as Victoria shifted over to one of the other ladies.

"Good afternoon, my good lady. This seems to be the day of self introductions. I am Tom Baker, lately of America. And you are?"

As the boat arrives is drawing closer to its destination, the silhouette of Nigger's Island is cutting itself out of the horizon, clearly showing why it bears its ungraceful name; it looks like a laid down profile of an African male. The sun is slowly setting as the nine guests arrive on Nigger Island. The trip was uneventful, although William C. Horton V heavily contributed to animate the conversations.

The boat finally accosts and the Captain helps his passengers to disembark and give them their luggages. The quay was at the very end of the beach, which is spreading all over the eastern side of the island. A board walk, with stair leading down to the beach, is separating the beach from the grassland, where the manor actually stands.

The Captain surveys the guest and gives them one last speach before leaving.

- I wish that you'll enjoy your week here as I might be unable to come back before then thanks to the stormy ocean at this time of the year. However, if there's any emergency, there's a lighthouse at the top of the Northern cliff. Just lit this up and I'll scramble in here as soon as the weather will allowed me to do. Also, Mr Kant's lovely governess is waiting for you all to join her. With that, I'm taking my bow. Good bye all.

The guests nod, although some feel a pinch in their heart as they see the boat sailing away while others were more than eager to meet with Mr. Hunbe Kant. As the guests walk closer to the manor they can only appreciate the Spanish inspired architecture of the two-stories high residence. The outside walls are made out of delicate white marble within which carvings representing African art are adding to it's beauty. The fenestration is marvelously abundant, giving it an lighter appearance to the otherwise imposing construction. At the doorstep, Anna Raven is standing still and greeted the guests as they reach the doorstep themselves.

- Greetings everyone!, starts the damsel while subtly looking for Mr. Kant, I am Anna Raven, Mr Kant's governess. Mr. Kant told me that he'll arrive later tonight but he wishes that you all make yourself home and that's exactly what I intend to do. Please, follow me as I lead you all in your respective bedrooms.

She first lead those who's room is on the second floor first, then guides those who's room is on the first floor to their respective rooms. The upper floor bedrooms are all adorned with those same marble wall with charmin wood details. All of these rooms have their own bathroom and have a king size ebony wood baldaquin. However, William and Adelaide obtain the most luxurious rooms who have a chimney in their own bedrooms.

On the first floors, the rooms of the southern wing shared the luxury of the modest second floor rooms while the three rooms of the northern wings are not only the smallest, but the simpliest room, having confortable but basic furniture. All rooms have their own batrooms as well. Within each rooms, painted in a elegant calligraphy, the same nursery rhyme is written on the wall. Victoria stopped undoing her luggages for a moment and reads them

Ten Little Niggers

Ten little nigger boys went out to dine;

One choked his little self and then there were Nine.

Nine little nigger boys sat up very late;

One overslept himself and then there were Eight.

Eight little nigger boys travelling in Devon;

One said he'd stay there and then there were Seven.

Seven little nigger boys chopping up sticks;

One chopped himself in halves and then there were Six.

Six little nigger boys playing with a hive;

A bumble bee stung one and then there were Five.

Five little nigger boys going in for law;

One got into Chancery and then there were Four.

Four little nigger boys going out to sea;

A red herring swallowed one and then there were Three.

Three little nigger boys walking in the Zoo;

A big bear hugged one and then there were Two.

Two little nigger boys sitting in the sun;

One got frizzled up and then there was One.

One little nigger boy left all alone;

He went out and hanged himself and then there were None.

Victoria smiles as she recalls her nurse who tenderly recited that rhyme so many times. When she's finished with her luggage she leaves her room, which happens to be accross of William's and next to Tom's, and walks down the magnificient ebony staircase. Each posts of the ramps are sculpted into african figurines and the red carpet that ardons the steps does have mustard african patterns on it. The experimented woman climbs down the staircase with the class of a politician's wife. She joins the others and then are guided by Anna over the Library and Game Room. Both rooms were adorned with tapestry with african patterns while a luxurious red carpet ornates the room's marble floor. While a bar, poker table, chess table, roulette table, black jack table and a pool table, all made of ebony, are the main attractions in the Game room, the imposing collection of book, a chimney, along with classy leather seats and ebony coffee tables are giving the Library it's charm.

- Ladies and gentelemen, I am pleased to annouce you that dinner is ready.

Anna leads everyone over the majestic dining room. The white marble walls sorberly decorated with African arts while the gorgeous chimney and the ten seats table attracts their own attention. On the middle of the dining table, ten little porcelain statues showing the niggers of the nursery rhyme are standing orderly. Each guests are assigned at their seat and even Anna had been granted to dine with the guest, which made some of the upper class people raised an eyebrow but Flats and Claudia were delighted for having the opportunity to converse with this charming governess.

Here's the configuration of the Manor. North =>

First floor

Posted Image

Second floor

Posted Image

(OOC: Time for more fun as your characters will dine. This phase should last until late tomorrow night or on Sunday, depending when I'll be back home tomorrow.)

(OOC2: If anyone is offended by the use of the term "nigger" I sincerly apologies but it's part of the novel this game is spawned from. It might not be the most politically correct term in the world, but it suits with the spirit of this game)

With dinner in full sway, the banter and chatter, friendly and otherwise was at it's peak as well.

"Charming accomodations, eh M'Lady Melia?", William grinned inbetween mouthfuls of flank steak. "Seems our illustrious host may have some distinct feelings on the black folk", he said with a knowing wink and elbow to the ribs of Luke Jesson, whom he had companionably welcomed to sit next to him.

Turning back to Lady Melia's fetching eyes, he let his own wander up the ceiling breifly as he twirled his fork- with a bit of meat still on the end of it- absently as he spoke. "Can't say as I really agree with such sentiments, though, eh? I've traveled with many a nigger myself, on our holidays to Africa- they do make smashing guides, hunters, and porters, you know! - they seem like decent enough chaps. Bit dull-witted, perhaps, but good sorts all the same in my book."

Suddenly William's lambent eyes flashed as he glanced down the table.

"Ah! Tom, was it? Pass the wine this way, old sport!"

"Oh, it's just a nursery rhyme!" snapped Victoria, who had grown tired of listening to "Mister Fifth". He was more full of himself than anyone she'd ever known. Vicoria deliberately grabbed the wine and poured herself more than half of what was left before setting it back into Tom's reach. Her plans to get on this man's good side were rapidly deteriorating, as she had never before found a man whose very existence in her presence could so thoroughly unstabilize her. He grated on her nerves every time he spoke.

Victoria knew that Tom would be disappointed. After Brent had gotten himself killed and she had decided to take over his seat, she had learned a lot, and necessarily learned quickly, about the political scene. Now she could, usually, twist anyone around her finger. Tom had been away for some time, and naturally he would assume that she simply wasn't up to it. Obviously his tactics involved being outgoing and introducing oneself immediately... Victoria preferred subtlety, making the person just curious enough before introductions. Probably Tom had taken her quiet demeanor to mean that she was ignorant of the ways. But for a woman politician, it had to be different.

And for William the Fifth, it would have to be different again. She had already shown her annoyance with him. Perhaps she could make him think of her as a challenge. He did seem just the sort of man who would go after a woman just because she didn't like him. Vicoria risked a glance up and unsurprisingly caught him looking at her. She narrowed her eyes, and found that she was acting barely at all. Yes. He might just be twistable after all.

"Well, while I was in America, I met quite a lot of niggers, porters, maids, and such. Though most in polite society there prefer using the term 'coloureds'. Can't see why."

He makes a 'volcano' out of his mashed potatoes and pours in gravy for 'lava'.

He stops when he notices Claudia watching him.

He breaks the dam and the gravy flows over the meal.

"Sorry. Habit from when I was a child."

"Has anyone been to the continent, lately? Havn't the opportunity to go myself, yet."

(OOC2: If anyone is offended by the use of the term "nigger" I sincerly apologies but it's part of the novel this game is spawned from. It might not be the most politically correct term in the world, but it suits with the spirit of this game)

I was wondering when that was going to come up.

Now that the taint is off, let's use it in character.

Luke sat quietly listening to the conversations of the others, feeling like an inlisted man sitting at the officer's table. Even though he once held rank as a major, it was a long time ago, and things change.

"Has anyone been to the continent, lately? Havn't the opportunity to go myself, yet."

"Not since my posting in Rhodesia before the great war. But one day I wish to return, if I can even manage it." Luke grinned, remembering the warm climate and the time spend in the open grasslands. "I must say, there is something about Africe that gets into your blood, lingers for years, If it doesn't kill you first."

Having a sip of wine before continuing with a chuckle, "I mean like maleria, sleeping sickness, bilhasia, you know the old east african quickstep?" He sipped his wine again, starting to enjoy himself, "honestly though, the land does affect you very deeply, almost becomes part of you, calls you back time and again."

Adelaide is a bit startled when it appears her thoughts were off target. She didn't pride herself on being a particularly fine judge of people, but she never severely misjudged.

Miss Welsh's slip of composure does not reveal itself as anything more than perhaps a slight widening of her eyes behind the glass. Addy looks to the water again, and tucks a strand of hair behind her ear.

**Later**

Addy set her bags down in her room and looked around. Eyeing the nursery rhyme on the wall, she frowned. Niggers...such a dirty word The rhyme seems to have an ominous air, and, remembering what the captain said about the lighthouse, Adelaide shivers. For the first time she wonder what she might have gotten herself into.