The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Werewolf X: And then they were...

After dinner, before returning to his room, Luke approached Anna Raven.

"Miss Raven, May I have a word please?"

Anna looked up from the business of cleaning and clearing, curious as to what Luke was after.

"It seems that, between the two of us, we are to assist in the flow of this little gathering. I have my invitation in my quarters if you would like confirmation."

Luke smiled at Anna's puzzled look.

"I have been asked to look after security by Mr Kant. I was about to wonder around the grounds to 'see the lay of the land' so to speak. Please, should you need my assistance in any way, don't hesitate to ask."

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anna had dined in silence, keeping to herself though she followed the several conversations around the table with curiosity. She wondered why Mr. Kant had asked her to be at the dinner table, and had felt quite uncomfortable.

At least they've ignored me... though I wonder why such different people are here. Some of them have second intentions... Mrs. Butler has a look in her eyes that tells of thoughts not shared. And the way she sometimes looks at Mr. Baker...

She shrugs, sighing while she cleans the kitchen. Well, not for me to say anything. It's quite strange how those high-class people seem not to perceive things that are so clear. But then... one learns a lot when having no one to defend them. I would never have survived the streets if I hadn't learned quickly to read what people show in their face instead of just listening to what they say.

And I'd never have survived the orphanage either.

Distracted by her thoughts, Anna cannot avoid a small jump when Luke appears suddenly by her side.

"Miss Raven, May I have a word please?"

She looks at him, surprised and curious as to what Luke was after.

"I apologize for startling you." He smiles, charming. "It seems that, between the two of us, we are to assist in the flow of this little gathering. I have my invitation in my quarters if you would like confirmation."

"Oh... " The startled look in Anna's face is quickly replaced by a somewhat shy smile, and she stammers, "... M-mister J-jesson, right?"

She blushes, making herself busy with the pans for some seconds while he explains what Mr. Kant has asked of him.

Silly girl... he will think you've never talked to people before!

"I'm glad that I'm not the only one responsible for the guests... I have to confess that I was worried. I'm used to the work, but not all by myself in a manor in an apparently desert island... and the Captain saying that we'll have a storm. I don't feel comfortable knowing that we'll be isolated, and with Mr. Kant's absence...."

She stops short, blushing even more. "Ah... sorry, Mr. Jesson... I shouldn't be talking so much... "

What is this, Anna? Talking to a guest as if he were your friend... I must take a grip on myself. There's no reason to be nervous just because I've been hired by a mysterious man, who brought you to his manor and leaves all instructions in letters...

She smiles nervously at Luke, feeling quite unsure of herself.

Luke smiled at Anna, "Please, talk all you like, and ask for my help if you wish."

He watched the nervousness play across Anna's face, "We both seem to be very much in the same boat here, hired by a man we have never met, to run an party for him. I for one would like very much to meet him, soon."

Smiling, Luke turned to leave. "Please, if you need help, just ask. We seem to be the only hired help on the island so far."

Anna gave a cautious smile as he left, and a small sigh, returning to her work.

Luke walked into the night air, scouting the outside of the building, and looking for any visible signs of disturbance.

"This may be the easiest security job ever" he thought to himself as he went.

Adelaide ate dinner alone, sitting a bit away from everyone else. It was a bit of a habit of her's. She watched the others eat, fixing names and faces in her mind. Mildly she wondered what the schedule would be. Addy let out a small sigh. These parties had the potential to be exhausting. Perhaps hours of being social and looking like she was interested... Anne would have sparkled in this situation. She lived to be a social butterfly. Of course, her exquisite manners never extended to her family. Adelaide began to frown, then smiled. Anne didn't matter, now. Addy relaxed, and enjoyed dinner.

Adelaide thought ahead to after the meal. She would return to her room, and perhaps do some reading. Remembering her room, Adelaide recalled that it seemed especially luxurious. She wondered a bit why she had one of the best rooms, but didn't worry too much about it. Addy put it down to her financial status. It was amazing what wealth could buy you. Among other things, independence.

Finishing her meal, Miss Welsh rose and returned to her room. She picked up a book, but somehow she wasn't interested in it. Looking around a bit, she unpacked her brushes and paints.

Edited by dragonqueen

While the guests were dispersed around the manor, Anna is cleaning up the dinner table with Luke's help. When the governess was about to wash the dish, Luke stops her there and told her to follow him over the Library, as they'll be able to chat about their employer. The governess politely declined the invitation, stating that she still have duties in hand and tells him to join the other guests.

Meanwhile, in the Library, Victoria was reading a book while Adelaide decided to take a look over the various books that presents to her. In the game room, Horton leads the poker game with the gentlemen while the remaining ladies are watching the game.

(OOC: I'll be able to start the dreaded Phase three soon. Stay tune. Keep RP)

Luke completed a uneventful tour of the building surrounds, not straying too far from the walls of the manor. The grounds were beautiful, and from what he could see very well looked after. Returning to the manor, he attempted to talk some more with Anna, before enterng the library.

He nodded a greeting to the two ladies, before looking around the room.

He moved to the shelves looking at the ornaments, and remembering the art he saw during his days in Rhodesia, noted the different styles, from the areas of Africa that he was unfamiliar with.

Soon he approached one of the many bookcases, and finding the selection of histories most intriguing, selected one on the history of Southern Africa.

Remembering his Grand father's stories about the Zulu Wars, he began looking for reference to them. As he sat in an available chair, he found the account of the battle of Isandlwana, and began to read, still hoping that Anna would join them, so they could talk some more.

"Not since my posting in Rhodesia before the great war.

'Rhodesia,' wondered Tom. 'Where in Europe is Rhodesia? One of those postage stamp countries created after the Great War?"

"I must say, there is something about Africe that gets into your blood,

'Ah, Africa. He thought I meant the _Dark_ Continent. Must be all this talk about Niggers.'

After dinner, Tom produces a silver cigarette case and offers it to the assembled. More than a few take one, then accept his gift of a light.

The bar seems to be serve oneself, so Tom searches for a good malted scotch, then notices that there is no ice.

Ah well, one servent, must expect to rough it.

'Hope we don't have to make our own beds,' he thinks.

His position behind the bar makes him the de facto bar tender, a position he fills, finishes all the drinks, then vacates.

'Someone else can take the next turn.'

Though, from his experience, people will wait, he goes finally for a refill, and he is again, the bartender.

Nothing to be done.

Now is a good time to lose a little money to Mr. Horton.

"Deal me in," says Tom.

Melia, as soon as she was bored with watching the poker game (a state which didn't take very long to reach), wandered into the library. Selecting a book seemingly at random, she took a seat. She had long ago cultivated the ability to both read and listen to conversation at the same time...it was practical.

Anna enters the Library briefly, and as Tom asks she comes back bringing ice.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Baker. I wasn't aware that there were things missing."

She stops by a shelf, picking the book she had been reading the previous night. Tom observes her with a curious look.

"I was given leave to use the manor as the guests would, provided that I don't neglect my duties, " she states in a soft voice , neither submissive nor defiant. "If you have any need of me, please just call. "

She leaves unobtrusively, but her attentive eyes notice what each guest is doing and also Luke's eyes following her. Turning to close the door, she looks at him and gives a small nod.

I know he wants to talk about Mr. Kant... but I won't do it near the guests. Some of them already look at me as if I don't know my proper station, and I'd rather not having them overtly aggressive... She shudders, remembering some bad times at the orphanage, and goes to the games room.

After being sure that there's nothing needed there either, Anna goes upstairs, to the balcony, where there's a comfortable chair. She sits down to read, enjoying the soft breeze.

If Mr. Jessen wants to talk, I guess he will find me easily enough.

At the poker table, William broke his strangely stonefaced counenance for the first time in the past hour with a sheepish grin and a chuckle.

"Well fellows, confession time," he said, indicating his scant fifty dollars left on the table in front of him. "I'm an atrocious poker player, despite my grandfather's efforts to the contrary. He was quite an accomplished; traveled the world for his games, when he felt the inclination. Here's hoping I may learn something tonight!

Do any of you have as illustrious a background in the cards as you seem to?"

Luke continued to read, enjoying the memories of Africa that both the setting and the liturature were uncovering. 'I really must return there someday.' he thought.

Anna entered, 'Still working?' He is pleased when Anna selects a book, and after offering explaination, turns to leave. Luke watched Anna, and noted the small nod she offered him as she left. 'So she will talk, but not within the hearing of this mob.' Luke smiles softly. ' I shall give her time, most likely find her on the balcony, away from the eyes and ears that seem so trained in the gathering of titbits of information.'

Luke shifted his thoughts to his reading again, read the account of Dabulamanzi's attack of Rorke's Drift, before rising, replacing the book, and leaving the library.

He did a curcuit of the outside again, 'just doing the job.' As he did so, he saw Anna on the balcony. He continued his walk, enjoying the night air.

Luke entered the Manor again, and after a brief pause, headed up the stairs to the balcony. As he walked out onto the landing, he tapped lightly on the wooden frame of the balcony entrance, alerting Anna to his presence.

"Anna? May I join you?"

:raven:

Anna smiles, motioning Luke to approach.

"Sure, Luke. I'm glad to see you here."

"I guessed you wouldn't want to talk with all the guests around." He smiles also, charming.

"Yes... some of them seem uncomfortable to see a governess dining with them, and also picking books in the library."

"So you enjoy reading also?"

"Very much. I was brought up by a teacher... and she made me what I am today. She was the one who recommended me to Mrs. Bess, who apparently gave my name to Mr. Kant."

She pauses, frowning. "Luke, have you met Mr. Kant? Or are you here like I am, upon a letter and the expectation of having him here with the guests?"

Luke frowned as he pulled up a seat. "Mr Kant sent me a package. Actually, a man stopped me on the street, asked me some questions; name, date of birth, years of service in the millitary, that sort of thing. I guessed it was to identify me, because he gave me a package." Luke paused, growing a little puzzled, "The package contained a letter, and a key to a very nice hotel room, and these clothes." Luke looked down at the outfit he wore, "I guess the thought of a real bed for a night and a new set of clothes overrode any suspicions I may have had. But I am getting more and more uneasy about this job, it seems too easy, and I am treated like a guest. Like a rich guest."

[edit: spelling]

Edited by cryptomancer

"That's interesting... I received a letter offering me a position here as cook and governess. When I arrived, there was another letter on the mantelpiece, giving me instructions about dinner and guests' rooms...

And, like you, I arrived here and found some new clothes in my room, together with matching aprons and other accessories... and, like you, it seems I'm expected to behave like a guest, having dinner together and the freedom to use what the manor offers. "

Luke nods, and Anna finishes, "I'm getting uneasy also, Luke. I did expect Mr. Kant here. And with the storm forecast, it seems we'll be isolated here for some days. I don't like it at all. "

All my instincts say there's something wrong. And I learned to trust them... but can I say that to him, without looking foolish?

Edited by Tanuchan

Anna Raven had been done preparing the balcony for the continuation of the soiree, plenty of champagne was on ice and a grammophone was playing joyful ragtag music. The governess gathered all the guests over the balcony. While some reluctantly followed, others were enthusiast with the whole idea. The hours passes while everyone drink, smoke and was a bit more confortable with each other. Suddenly, the music stops and a stern, monochord and cruel voice let itself heard in its place.

Ladies and gentlemen. I am the voice of justice and I have summoned each and everyone here so justice may be served righeously.

I accuse:

Miss Adelaide Welsh of being responsible to Miss Anne Welsh's death on July 16, 1927

Mrs Claudia Spensor VanCluesan and Mr. Lindsay "Flats" London for the murder of Mr Leonard VanCluesan in April 15, 1936

On September 15 1930, Sir William Christopher Horton 5th slained his father, Sir William Christopher Horton 4th

Miss Anna Raven, you caused Mr William "Billy" River's death on August 13, 1922

Mr Luke Jesson, you killed Captain Jason Patrick Allson on July 7 1917

Miss Melia leaded Mr. Damien Gray to his death on July 19 1932.

Mrs. Victoria Marshall Butler for the deaths of Mr Brent Butler and Mr Charles Edwin on June 10 1924

Mr. Tom Baker, you are Mrs Lilian Gathling's assassin since March 24 1936

And Jeremy Erickson, you murdured Jennifer Winter on August 8 1926

Suspects, what do you have for you defense?"

The voice stopped as abruptly as it began...

(Dreaded phase three started. Now that the skeletons are creeping out of the closet, it's time to send me the PM VOTES but let me warn you, think carefully as you wont be able to change your vote in this voting session. I'm giving you 24 hours for the votes)

Anna looks in the direction of the voice, her face showing clearly her surprise and confusion.

William "Billy" Rivers? Who's he?

Then, something about the date insists on coming back to her mind. Around her, people start to murmur, and she backs into a shadowed corner to hide her sudden palor as she finally connects the date with facts.

August 1922... I was... around nine... the streets...

She puts a hand to her face, biting back a soft cry. A shadow appears on her side, touching softly her arm, and she steps back in surprise.

"Is it true for you, then?" whispers Luke, his piercing eyes on hers.

He... he was a soldier... he must know what it is to kill a person... he surely did it some times...

"I... " she shudders, and nods very slightly. "I don't know, didn't know his name... but... I remember the date... "

As memories flood back, Anna closes her eyes, her voice almost inaudible even for Luke, "I was just a small girl on the streets... a boy attacked me in a dark alley... I don't know how... but I got a knife... stabbed him. I saw him fall in a pool of blood. I ran away." She whimpers softly, "I still have nightmares about that... "

But it was self-defense!!!

~~~~

(OOC Lady Celes, when's the deadline for the PM votes?)

Edit: Eh... 24 hours, of course... that's what comes from being half-asleep when reading posts... :P

Edited by Tanuchan

Luke looks at the fear in Anna's eyes, he tries to offer comfort as best he can, while he fights for control over his own internal emotions. Memories of the Court Martial, and the aftermath, the request for his resignation, the body of Captain Jason Patrick Allson laying in the mud.

"Sentries reported an intruder in our camp, we searched for half an hour for him, without success. Found a few booby traps, some damage to equipment. We heard someone in a crawlspace between tents." Luke swallowed, the pain of the memory fresh in his eyes,"I gave the order to fire, I was wrong, we killed our own man."

Luke blinks away the memories, looking at the fear still evedent in Anna's expression. "It looks like we have been set up." glancing arround the room, he notes the reactions of the others, 'Looks like we all been set up."

Edited by cryptomancer

"They've called us all together with regards to mistakes, accidents, and self defense?" hissed Victoria. "Yes, my husband is dead, and probably this other man too. He died on the 15th anniversary of our marriage, in a skiing accident. And they have the gumption to bring it up, remind me of it??" Victoria kneels and hangs her head. Holding her hands to her face, she begins to shake violently, the perfect portrayal of silent anguish.

Adelaide's eyes widen in shock, but she quickly recovers. She notes that it appears, if this voice is to be believed, she is in the company of murderers. I knew there was something a bit off about this...

Lifting her chin, Adelaide addresses her own accusation. Funny, she thinks. I thought that was taken care of. Anybody who could possibly care is dead...so why does this voice bring it up? Justice? Please, there's not a creature on this planet that has nothing to answer to. Besides, we're all better off without her.

"So what if I did kill her? Everything was better when she was gone. You didn't know her. You didn't have to live with her."

Having made her quiet statement, Adelaide returns to silence. Of course, in killing her, I also scared away my parents, and deprived myself of their love. Oh well. Everything has a price, and no price was too high to pay for her death. Listening to other comments, Adelaide wonders why these people were chosen. Justice? Seems like some of these people's remorse would be justice enough.

Abruptly Adelaide's thoughts come to a stop. Oh my god. I was responsible for her death.

Melia somehow managed to keep her composure. However, one looking closely could see her face pale slightly.

Damien. It had been four years, and she had thought she could escape him...

"I did not lead him." she said, slowly and clearly. "It was by his own hand he died...not mine."

Tom stood up after the announcement, and yelled at no one in the room, looking for spy holes.

"Slander!

"Base Slander!

"If this is some party game it's just not funny.

"Kant. If your here, 'giggling' at your 'joke', be a man show yourself.

"I killed no one. I am as certain as I am standing here that Victoria did not do a _double_ murder.

"We are ladies and gentlemen here. I am certain that without exception these 'crimes' you claim would be found without merit in a court of law."

Silence answers him.

He wants to curse, but cannot, except for a:

"Blast!"

He begins to stalks from the room to go outside to cool off, but stops when he notices Victoria weeping.

He sits beside her, takes her in his arm and makes soothing sounds.

"Not funny, Kant," he says quietly.

"He'll pay for this," he says, so low that only Victoria can hear.

Tom's strong arms wrap around her and slowly Victoria stops shaking. Head still buried in her hands, she murmurs, "Why would he want to bring back those memories, Tom?" The others, in varied states of shock, disbelief, outrage or denial, passively witness the conversation.

"He's a liar and a scroundrel," he says, patting her shoulder, "But I don't know what he's trying to do to us."

"The mechanism broke," said Victoria blankly, rising and returning Tom's embrace. "They fell. The blood, everywhere. Their skis at odd angles in the snow. It's still so vivid, after so many years. I thought I had managed to get over it, Tom. I thought I could finally get on with my life." Her voice cracks, and she grips him harder, burying her face in his chest.

Glancing arround the room, Luke notes the reactions of the others, 'Looks like we all been set up."

Anna nods slowly, forcing her memories away and resting her hand gently on his arm. She keeps her voice barely above a whisper, and it carries just to his ears. "Whoever set this up... we are isolated here, Luke. I know there's no one else here, unless hidden somewhere in the island. And you know it also - you have made rounds around the manor... "

She looks at him. "I have ill feelings about all this. Guilty or not, we should all be careful. Why bring those things past, here? What for? And where is Mr. Kant, who none of us both has met or talked to?"

Adelaide's mind flashes back to the memory, and she realizes the unseen voice has found a technicality Adelaide never thought of.

I was responsible...but I did not kill her. I did not plan it, I did not set it up, I did not set out with intention to kill her...all I did was walk away. I seized the oppurtunity and let her die.

Adelaide begins to tremble. "No..." she whispers. "I killed her! I did! She died because of me! It was up to me, and I made the decision she should die! I killed her. I killed my sister. Me, and nobody else..." Tears run down Miss Welsh's face, as she assures herself of a truth she has always accepted as true.

The thought that perhaps Anne's death was an accident is simply unbearable. All these years, Adelaide had taken pride in her kill, in her initiative...

"I killed my sister. Me, and nobody else..." Tears run down Miss Welsh's face, as she assures herself of a truth she has always accepted as true. Anna, just a few steps away, listens to those last words and looks at her with a surprised expression. She exchanges a look with Luke, who makes a small gesture as if to stop her. Shaking her head very slightly, Anna reaches out a hand to brush Adelaide's shoulder.

"Miss Welsh..." she whispers softly, "I don't know you and what happened to bring you here... but surely you don't want to be accused of killing your sister? It seems whoever is accusing us just sees the fact that our actions resulted in someone else's death... without considering if it was accidental, planned, or with sufficient reason..."

Adelaide looks at her, and Anna steps back once more.

I shouldn't intrude... but I am innocent... others can be also... Luke is innocent in my eyes... What is happening here?

Edited by Tanuchan