The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Werewolf X: And then they were...

Adelaide looks at Anna, and she steps back once more.

"You didn't know my sister. She was my sister, but I honestly thought I hated her. The world should be thanking me for killing her..."

Adelaide stops talking, as she realizes she is telling everything to a stranger, but her thoughts continue. That was the only violence I ever showed towards her, and it wasn't even direct. She was far more violent. She cursed me, she twisted my words, she blamed me. Because I was an angel. That was what she said. How wrong she was. I am no angel, but I tried. I really did, but I can only try so hard. Who could blame me?...

Adelaide's tears dry, and she sniffs. Others don't see it that way, but they never have. It doesn't matter anymore, though.

"It's over...

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Melia's blue eyes are impassive in her pale, beautiful face as she finally speaks again.

"That was the past." she says quietly. "We can do nothing now...we cannot change it. The past is past, and there is nothing anyone can do."

"That was in the past," says Tom. "But we're in the present. We're on an island off the coast of England, not on St. Helena.

"We'll start a fire on the coast, a signal fire. A boat will see and we'll get away. We'll burn his books to start it, burn his furniture to stoke it.

"Who's with me? Luke? Bill?

"The only thing that could stop us is the weather..."

At Tom's suggestion, Anna remembers the lighthouse.

"There's the lighthouse!"

As several guests look at her, Luke also nods. Anna looks for her keys, picking one.

"Mr. Kant left the key and wrote that, in any emergency, we could light it and Captain Grant would come as soon as possible. He confirmed it to me when he left me here. "

She hands in the key to Luke.

"You're here for the security... I guess you should keep this. Mr. Baker is probably right, and we should try calling Captain Grant back before the storm hits. "

Ten little nigger boys went out to dine;

One choked his little self and then there were Nine.

While Anna and Luke tought about the lighthouse plan, Charles walks over Flats and asks him casually about the accusations. Flats was looks at the politician and decided to give an answer before raising anymore suspicions.

- This voice is lying about one thing, Claudia had nothing to do with the murder. She and I felt in love together while she was married and I decided to remove her husband out of the way so we can both be happy and together.

Claudia pales as she heard Flats's confession. She stayed immobile, unnable to act nor speak. Flats raises his glass of champagne toward her looking straight in her eyes.

- May you forgive me for acting out of love.

The gentleman drinks the delicate alcohol in one straight gulp. Seconds later, his eyes widen, his lips turn blue and he suffucates. Before anyone moves in his rescue, Flats collapse on his back and gives up on last breath before the lights of life extiguishe in his eyes. His face permanently bears a horrid expression of his death.

(OOC: Thanks to a tie in the votes, the die decided that Mira/Flats Landon was to be the first victim. PM will be send and roles will be determine. Night phase is on and I'll wait for the Seer,s and Werewolf's pms before proceeding to the next day phase.)

Anna gasps, shocked by the candid confession and horrified by Flats' sudden death. Her hand looks for the support of the chair, but it's Luke's arm that it grabs.

Justice served... everybody involved in a death...

"Dead..." she whispers, starting to tremble, "... so that justice may be served, he said... "

Luke looks down at Anna's hand as it grips his arm, fighting his own thoughts for control. His conceerns turning quickly to fears. Controling his voice, he whispers to Anna, "It seems I am going to have my work cut out for me. This security job just got a whole lot harder." After a look around at the others in the room, he continues, "Do you think I can still trust the safety of the lighthouse? Because unless the Captain is in on this little party as well, it still seems like our only hope."

Luke's control, perceived by Anna, actually calms her.

Don't panic... this is not the orphanage, Anna... and there must be people here you can trust... people who killed by accident. Not on purpose.

Breathing deeply, she also looks around. After a pause to reflect, she whispers to Luke, "I do think it is our only hope. But you shouldn't go alone. I think... "

She bites her lip, hesitating. He looks at her, keeping an iron control on his thoughts. "You think...? Don't be afraid of speaking, please."

"When I was at the orphanage... we, the little ones, used to be beaten in the shadows. We usually didn't even see who did it... and we learned not to be alone in dark places."

Luke nods, "Pairs..."

"No." Anna's face suddenly becomes harder. "In threes. Sometimes, one of a pair appeared beaten and the other would say they had to separate. We, the little ones, learned fast... " She looks at him, saying with a certainty in her voice that surprises even herself, "Let's go, both of us, and one more. Maybe Mr. Baker, who gave the idea."

While Luke and Anna are discussing what to do next, Victoria makes her way to the edge of the balcony. She leans, apparently fighting with the urge to empty her stomach. Gagging a little, she steadies herself, and stands again. She holds up her champagne glass, already sipped a few times, and hurls it into the night.

"I have never sought death in my life," she breathes. "Like any other person, I am ready to accept the inevitable deaths that occur. Accidents, they are hard to get over, but that's what one must do. Murder... that's another thing. Mr. Kant has brought us here to pick us off, one by one. That much is obvious, he virtually told us that himself." Victoria turns and looks Tom right in the eye. "Don't go, Tom. None of us should leave, for Mr. Kant is somewhere in the manor, and unless we go all together, I am certain he will make sure that we do not rejoin."

"We need to get to the lighthouse," begins Luke, still calm.

"Then we must all go," returns Victoria, cutting him off. Her voice has grown harsh but her eyes are weary. "We must all go together. And please, nobody take another sip from their glass."

Adelaide repeats it to herself silently. It's over. Other matters are at hand now, and she pushes it out of her mind. Listening, she is pleased to hear Anna remember the lighthouse, and stays quiet, as things progress.

About to argue with Victoria, Adelaide hesitates. Who is Mr. Kant, and what is his purpose? From what has happened, it appears Mr. Kant wishes to kill them all, out of justice. But who is Mr. Kant, to deal out justice? Well, a life for a life. That is a sort of justice.

Feeling that to pursue the mystery would not be wise, nor safe, Adelaide sets down her glass.

"I do believe Victoria, if I may call you that, is correct. Obviously Mr. Kant is intent on dealing out 'justice', and this means killing us all in retribution for whatever death we have caused. We must get to the lighthouse, and it is a wise idea to go together."

"If you wish us to go together, we can. But I would feel that staying in the building is the safer option. Let three go, and arrange the lighthouse, if it is trapped less get hurt, the rest stay here, let them stay in the same room, one of the comfortable ones, and barracade the door untill we return."

Luke looked arround. "you can secure this environment, outside we will be sitting ducks."

"I think you're taking too big of a risk, sir. If three go, three may be accosted and killed, and leave the rest of us that much more susceptible. You have a good point, that the lighthouse itself might be trapped, but if that is the case, there are probably traps everywhere. Can't we just check for them before stepping anywhere?"

"We cannot check every step, milady. Certainly we will be careful, especially moving into the lighthouse, but surely you can see that nine people in the open in the dark is too large a target, more risky than three."

Victoria hangs her head. "Perhaps. I wish there were a third way, but there isn't. My own opinion is that we shouldn't split up, ever again, but I can see the wisdom in your thoughts too."

"If we are to stay behind," she continues almost without pause, "we should gather what we need from our own rooms and meet in either Mr. William's or Miss Adelaide's room, for they are the largest, and only the bedrooms have bathrooms.... On the other hand, someone should collect food from the kitchens. Miss Anna, you have the best knowledge of the house itself. Perhaps you should stay and help with that instead?"

Edited by Katzaniel

Anna hesitates, but nods.

"I can see the sense in your suggestion, Mrs. Butler... I have all the keys, and I did have instructions from Mr. Kant about the house." She frowns, "Though I 'm not sure I can trust those instructions anymore... "

Mr. Kant isn't who he says... my instinct says me that... but in that case, *who* is he really? What does he really want? If it is killing us, why not just sink the boat we were in when we came?

She turns to Luke.

"Luke, you probably are the most experient person here concerning this situation... you were military personnel, after all. I think you should choose who will go with you. I'm willing to, but it is true that I may be more useful in the house. "

Do you think I can still trust the safety of the lighthouse? Because unless the Captain is in on this little party as well, it still seems like our only hope."

"No, it's a trap.

"If you go there and don't die, the Captain will probably arrive to kill you. We need a place sheltered from sight on the mainland, light a signal fire there, hope a sea going ship investigates. And hope that Mr. Kant thinks we're not smart enough to think of this.

"We should arm ourselves. Club furniture if that is best.

He picks up a large chair and with great violence hurls it towards the stone fireplace

shattering it. He picks up a largish piece.

quote]

We must all go together. And please, nobody take another sip from their glass."

"Good idea. No more food or water. Even sealed containers. With Mr. Kant's wealth he could have seen to the food being poisoned at the factory site."

"But won't we get hungry," says Adelaide

"And thirsty," adds Claudia.

"I plan to be off this island before it gets that bad."

He stalks the room looking at each, sizing them up, checking on who he could trust and who could be reliable.

"We'd do well to figure out the rest of the poem. Kant probably styles himself an aesthete and will probably try to stay with the theme.

"The first one was choking himself, already done.

"The second was oversleeping. So we must not sleep tonight.

Tom does not mention that he suspect the second one to be a slow acting poison, one already ingested by one of the group. His look lingers on Victoria for a moment.

"There's a chopping one, so stay away from knives and such, or just be careful.

"Not the season for bees, but is anyone allergic?

"The 'red herring' may be a red herring or it may be that he has a ship that will kill us if we try to make a raft.

"Does anyone else have any thoughts?"

"And I think staying in the house is the greatest mistake.

"It would be what is most expected. I think we would best survive if we did what was not expected. The house is probably the most trapped. Outside would be harder. Lets gather our belongings and make camp out on the shore.

"Keep a fire going, signal, stay awake and a watch.

"Luke? You know morse code? SOS, Mayday, and such, right?"

Melia tapped slender fingers against her lips, thoughtfully.

Justice. A concept she had never believed in...

Fanatics find their heaven in never ending storming wind

Auguries of destruction be a lullaby for rebirth...

Why was she thinking of Damien and his poetry, now? Hadn't she forgotten him?

Maybe death would be welcome...someday soon. But for now, Melia wanted to live.

"We should go." she said quietly and coolly, tossing back long blond hair. "If we want to live, that is."

((OOC: the stuff in italics is quoted from the song "Key of Twilight", from .hack/SIGN: I thought it was fitting.))

Nine little nigger boys sat up very late;

One overslept himself and then there were Eight.

After many debates, the group finally decided to send Jeremy, Tom and Luke over the lighthouse, while the others will watch the group's progress from the balcony. Everyone sighs in relief when the lighthouse lits up and the three men came back alive. Everyone looked at each other and concluded that Anna should give everyone the copy of the bedroom keys she have to their respective occupant. When it's done, everyone decides to go to their assigned bedroom and to try to get some rest.

Victoria and Tom decided to chat about their concerns in the lady's bedroom.

- Why this madness?wonders the concerned gentleman, What is this sick game?

- I honestly don't know Tom. whispers Victoria, One thing is sure, is that Mr. Kant knows about everyone's dirty secret. He knows that I felt in love with you while I was still married to my husband. He knows that I coordonated his "ski accident" for your sake. He knows that someone else had been dragged in this tragedy unwillingly. Tom... he knows everything!

Victoria buries her face in her hands and sobs. Tom gently hugs her for long minutes, until Victoria finally dismissed him for the night. When the gentleman's gone, the politically involved woman searchs her purse and pulls out sleeping pills. She takes one and abandonned herself into Morpheus' arms.

The following morning, Anna prepared breakfast for everyone, under Charles and Adelaide's watch. The governess sighs at the sight of the agitated sea. Obviously, rescue wont come in today. Meanwhile, Luke is already seated at the dining table and glances at the statues that serves as a centerpiece. The former soldier notices that something was amiss and counted the statues; only eight were actually there. What happened to the other two?

- EVERYONE!!! COME OVER HERE!!! Luke calls out.

The seven others gathers around the dining table and look at Luke with an intrigued glance.

- THE STATUES!cries the panicked gentlemanTWO OF THEM ARE MISSING!!!

Everyone carefully count the statues and came to the very same conclusion. Tom Baker observes the others who were assembled here only to realize that Victoria is missing! He suddenly pales and whimpers.

- Victoria... murmurs Tom, Is she....

Everyone rushes over the politician woman's bedroom. Anna knocks at the door and calls Victoria's name. No answer comes from the room. In a cry of rage, Tom pushes Anna aside and rams in the door with his body. When the door finally crashed open, a bizarre scene was displayed before them. Victoria was still in bed and looks peaceful. Tom approaches the bed and looks at the bottle of sleeping pills that is seated on one of the end table; it is empty. He then touches the lady's face and it was cold. Mr. Kant stuck again!

(OOC: Not good indeed. Victoria was a villager. It's now day phase and it'll be your usual public voting. I'll give you 24 to 48 hours unless someone has a clear majority of vote pinned against him or her)

Scorcard time:

The Living:

Dragonqueen (Adelaide Welsh - Rich eccentric heir and artist)

Salinye (Claudia VanCluesan-Millionnaire widow socialite)

Ozymandias (William Christopher Horton the fifth - Party goer and British Oil Baron)

Vahktang (Tom Baker - politician)

Elwen (Lady Melia Darshiva)

Tanuchan (Anna Raven - Governess)

Cryptomancer (Luke Jesson- Vagrant Jack of all Trades)

Degenero Angelus (Jeremy Erikson)

The Dead:

Mira (Flats Landon): When champagne goes in the wrong way.

Katzaniel (Victoria Butler): She should have taken the blue pill.

Luke looks at Tom, weighing what he needs to say, thinking of the most tactful approach.

"Tom, how long has Victoria been using medication? Was the accusation made about her true?"

Luke thinks over the past day, and his impressions of Victoria.

"Would she have comitted suicide over this, or did someone change her medication for poison?"

Anna keeps to herself, still busy with the breakfast, but her eyes and ears don't miss anything that happens in the room.

Was the medication changed? The bottle is *empty*.... And if it was, who had chance to do it?

She supresses a small sigh. Guilty of murder or not, she did have good points about our safety. She was a good ally, and a dangerous enemy, I suppose...

Edited by Tanuchan

"Would she have comitted suicide over this, or did someone change her medication for poison?"

Tom looks at the body of his love, ignoring the crowd at the doorway behind him. He dimly hears what Luke has to say.

"Poison. That's how we did my fiancee."

He turns and faces the crowd.

"She was going to ruin me, ruin us. She saw Victoria and I together and guessed the truth. We still loved each other. And there was no place in my life for her.

"She would have told her father. He would have made my name Mudd on both sides of the Atlantic.

"I had no choice.

"I killed for love.

"And now my dear, my love, my...Victoria is dead.

Everyone sees that he is about to break down, his eyes are glistening with almost shed tears.

"I told you we should have gotten out. That we would die in here.

"That we shouldn't (sob) shouldn't sleep at all.

He is silent for a moment, then collects himself.

"And now, her body must be taken care of. (snif) She always wanted to be cremated. I'll burn down the house."

And he rushes the crowd, in attempt to make it past them to the fireplace below.

They stop him and Luke and Bill wrestle him back until he is on the bed, next to Victoria.

Tom screams in a voice that out sounds the nearby sea.

The men lift him up and try to bodily carry him to another room, but he is struggling too much.

Luke produces a blackjack and uses it on an opportune spot on Tom, and Tom slumps, limp.

The men now find it much easier work to drag him to another room and leave him there, but he is not quite unconscious.

He says softly, before slipping away:

"Adelaide. Kill a sister. Kill anyone. Has money. Probably knows Kant. This is just a thrill kill for them. Beware-"

And the door is closed on him.

I accuse Dragonqueen (Adelaide Welsh)