The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

We Bring Good Things to Life!

Ayshela

Personification is very simply bestowing human thoughts, actions, or feelings on a non-human. An animal or an inanimate object can be granted human thought and speech. This makes a story more interesting, and makes the author’s point regarding weather, environment, or other story elements, without forcing a main character to make the point in speech.

The falling leaves danced upon the gentle breeze.

The snowflakes whispered softly as they fell upon the fields.

For the purposes of this exercise we will be taking an inanimate object and a non human being and personifying both of them. Take one object from the first group and one being from the second and combine as you wish in a personified manner. J

Objects:

Wind

A volcano

A brick

A cliff

A river

The ocean

A stone

A leaf

A tree

A road

Beings:

A butterfly

A kitten

A puppy

A robin

An eagle

A rabbit

A deer

A mouse

A fish

A whale

A beetle

A centipede

This exercise can be done twice, for 5 geld each time. For accounting purposes, each entry must be a separate post.

Like this?

I wanted to swim in the river. It beckoned to me with its curved shores, flirted with my desire to be immersed in its cool touch, and caressed me with its soft gurgling tone.

The butterfly's wings formed two angry eyebrows, and fluttering away it shouted its frustration louder than any words could do.

Hm. I don't think that second one's quite right. Could you give an example of personification of an already living thing?

Or, wait... are we supposed to make the object act like the being?

The cliff was like a rabbit, the falling stones from its edge like quivering whiskers, afraid of my approach and ready at a moment's notice to flee from beneath my feet.

I don't think I got it right that time either.

okay, taking the butterfly and the river, right?

The butterfly danced on the gentle breeze, stretching her wings in enjoyment of the cool caress. Fluttering over the river, she gazed at herself in the rippled surface. The river spoke in murmurs, speaking the truth of the moment and moving on incessantly. The butterfly preened at her beautiful reflection as the river murmured compliments, then both went on their way.

Hmm. I suppose I'll give it a go:

The waves battered the cliff, slowly eating away at it. The wind watched over all, driving the ocean onwards in its pursuit of destruction. Nearby, an eagle soared, and cried out in joy at life, and living it, before diving down and catching its dinner.

¿Was that right?

Dragonqueen wanders in and stares for a minute. Sticking her tongue between her teeth in an effort of extreme concentration, she nods after a second.

"This doesn't look like it requires too much effort. Guess I'll give it a go. Let's see..."

Dragonqueen strokes her chin thoughtfully as she ponders a minute or five. Finally her face lights up with triumph.

"Ah-ha! I've got one!"

The road wandered amicably through the fields, in no particular hurry. The kitten was perfectly all right with that, as she didn't have any particular place to be, or thing to do. No, she pranced along, chasing butterflies and generally enjoying herself. This seemed to agree with the road, as it meandered companionably along beneath the kitten without complaint.

Folding her arms, Dragonqueen grins. "Now that's personification!"

My turn!

A robin sings of joy when she sees her eggs finally hatching. Finally, the waiting was over and the robin can proudly hunt down food for her chicks. The tree gently cradles the nest and protects the robin family from the sun and the rain with patience.

The light and slender leaf, anxious and aware of the wind's anger, took the nearest gust and glided toward the stony walkway. Like a rabbit, the leaf hopped along the bumpy path and instantaneously disappeared. Feeling relieved, the leaf realized that it had swept itself under a doorway and into the watchful eye of an angry housewife. The leaf, fearful, and paralyzed, like deer in headlights, could not escape (for the wind was outside the door). The huge bristles came closer, as the broom found its way to the pathetic withering leaf. All of a sudden, the door flew open (the wind coming to its aide), and the leaf sought refuge with the wind. Out the door it went and found itself a kind friend.

Guest Kunax

In the smooth caressing water a lonely whale swan around, bored and sadden by its loneliness it watch a deer bouncing around on a nearby hill, enjoying the sun warming its body.

Not wanting to be alone any more, the whale overcame its fears and rolled out the water, crossing the gravel road, in turn the road cried out in tormented, complaining loudly as the whale continued rolling.

A centipede panicked, seeing it oncoming doom it took flight, cocooned itself in a slender leaf, emerged a butterfly. Happy and filled with joy, the butterfly escaped the whale, carried away on a gentle summer breeze.

I blame this on the whale, it force me to post, it has a furious temper only match by the largest volcanos...

Edited by Kunax

In the cool grasp that the air of winter breathed upon the singing leaf, holding to its home with the failing grasp of an elderly man, the words of its whispered dance, and the laugh of its breaking stem, echoed the goodbyes of autum's months.

On the moving floor of the night's cold wing, a beetle flew, and upon its every wingbeat, and in the song of its flight, caressed the winter night as a lover that embraced it drawing breath from the kiss of midnight's dew soft lips.

*grins* Cool, you are making me think about my wording, thanks.

The road wound as aimlessly as a centipede through the desert, and the horizon shimmered in the heat of full summer, making even the distant mountains no more then mirages. The constant wind chased tumbleweeds here and there as playfully as any puppy, and the desert lizards scuttled under their rocks to escape the sun’s merciless gaze.

Daryl wiped an arm across his streaming brow before replacing the floppy, wilting hat upon his head, even its minimal shade better then nothing. “Next time, I honestly have to take the left turn at Albuquerque.” he said mournfully before continuing his trudge down the road, a long walk ahead of him to the next Portal back to what has become his home.

The kitten lay asleep and it muttered about the harsh tongues of mother cats. It was tired and the sun was welcoming, but beneath it the road muttered and grumbled at the boring kitten asleep on it. It tossed a rock but still the kitten snored. It puffed a bit of dust, but still no response. It glared and whispered to the kitten that now was the time to play and scamper. No answer

Suddenly a cloud began to pour. The wet kitten hissed and ran. "Stupid kitten, only wakes up for rain" the road complained.

Wyvern tightly clutches a sheet of paper headed "Almost Dragonic Brand Advertisement Campaign" as he clumsily stumbles between two carnival booths, perking his head up as he notices the personification excercise that Ayshela is hosting at one of them. A sinister grin spreads across the overgrown lizard's diabolical visage as he glances first towards Ayshela's booth, then towards his blank advertisement campaign sheet, and then back to Ayshela's booth again. Whipping out a cheap quill, the greedy Elder immediatly begins writing...

I. Almost Dragonic Brand Travel Gear

A. Tired of the wind constantly whistling at you while mocking you with its dynamic dancing and acrobatics? Introducing: Almost Dragonic Brand Breeze Blocker™. Almost Dragonic Brand Breeze Blocker™... making the blocking of wind a, errrr... well, a breeze!

Add displays the image of cryptomancer in an uncomfortable-looking suite of body-armor, which is labeled with the intials "A.D.B.B.B." He is displayed sitting next to a cooling fan in the Cabaret Room of the Pen and grumbling: "Now it works... if only it had blocked breeze when that last tornado hit."

B. Volcanoes have been known to belch large quantities of molten lava upon awakening from their century-long naps in an act of natural indegestion... that's why it's imperitive that you invest in Almost Dragonic Brand Volcanoe Alpha-Seltzer™. Almost Dragonic Brand Volcanoe Alpha-Seltzer™... if you're going to spend your last moments on Earth next to an erupting volcanoe, you might as well do it watching the pointless lava bubbles it produces. Warning: not a significant cure for volcanic indegestion.

Add displays the image of a soot-covered Silly the Elder Dwarf, who holds up a sign that reads: "Comes in three flavors: magma, sulfur, and molten ash! Do not keep within the reach of young volcanoes, ages four hundred thousand to six hundred thousand."

C. Bricks can often be bland and stoic affairs, emotionless in their cold and meditative states. That's why we here at Almost Dragonic would like to introduce the Almost Dragonic Brand Peaceful Battering Ram™... a healthy alternative to normal battering rams that'll get those bricks rolling right out of their cement in no-time flat. Also perfect for pebble parties.

Add displays a series of clowns tied to large wooden sticks and lined up in rows, telling numerous stone jokes to a brick wall. None of the jokes cause the wall to move in any way, but upon the fourty first "Why did the chicken statue cross the road" joke, the wall slowly begins to crumble.

D. Don't be frightened when staring down the gaping maw of an enormous cliff, dreading the jaggedness of its depths. With Almost Dragonic Brand Avalanche Whistles™, you can easily turn that eery cliff into a comfortable stairway to safety. Warning: some ultra-sonar aiming experience may be required.

Add displays Finnius, who whistles a beautiful rendition of Kid Rock's "Rock and Roll" on the flutre, flashes his trademark handsome grin to the camera, and gives a thumbs up before being promptly hit by an avalanche.

E. Have you ever thought that a river might be gurgling something behind your back, spreading some rumor about you in its indecipherable aquatic codes? Well, you can now shut that river up with Almost Dragonic Brand Damming Services™... the dam materials aren't even included!

Add displays Wyvern standing over a river in a necromancer outfit, sinisterly hissing the words "I damn you to Hell!" Upon sprinkling some special "Damning Dust" into the water, the overgrown lizard slips and falls into the river, screaming futilly as he's carried upstream.

F. The Ocean can be quite an intimidating figure, with its angered fists of tidal waves and carniverous fish cousins. But at heart, the ocean is actually very friendly and welcoming individual... which is why you need to hear the Almost Dragonic Brand Ocean Confession Tapes™, where the Ocean bares his heart for you, on tape!

Add displays a confused Gyrfalcon, who scratches his head and frowns as he listens to a tape consisting of only the sounds of crashing waves.

G. Stones are often thought of as the illegitimate and uncivilised cousins of bricks, raised in the wild and often of a disfigured composure. What better way to help these poor souls than with the Almost Dragonic Brand Civilised Stone Makeover Kit™... comes in only one color: shiny red.

Add displays Shiny the Elder Dwarf, who gleefully paints one stone after the other with the makeover kit while exclaiming "Ssshhhhiiiiinnnnnny!" Behind the happy Elder Dwarf, an Almost Dragonic Incorporated vehicle sets up a sign that reads "Shiny Red Brick Road, Complete With Genuine Dwarf - Thirty Geld Per Tour."

H. Have you ever noticed when a leaf waves at you in the wind as it floats through the air, or curtseys to you as it falls in an Autumn breeze? Presenting: the Almost Dragonic Brand Manual of Leaf Etiquette™, guaranteed to tell you exactly what a leaf is saying.

Add displays Xaious stomping on a leaf furiously, growling: "That'll teach you not to refer to me as having 'a few screws loose.'" and not noticing that there are two hundred and fifty thousand other interpretations for the same ariel leaf maneuver.

I. Trees can often get dizzy once sawed through the core, and have difficulties balancing themselves when a saw has completed its duties. The question of whether anyone hears one of these majestic beings as it falls when nobody is there has always been a riddle, until now... introducing the Almost Dragonic Brand Nobody of Consequence Forest Expedition Service™!

Add displays the Pen member Nobody of Consequence standing with Gryphon and Mynx in a forest as several lumberjacks chop down a tree. Nobody rolls his eyes and contemplates how much he's being paid for his job as Gryphon and Mynx exclaim: "We can hear it!"

J. An open road can beckon to you with its outstretched arms of dirt and sunset horizon smile. We at Almost Dragonic believe in only the finest of roads, which is why we're offering you the first ever Almost Dragonic Brand Shiny Red Brick Road Tour™, complete with it's own genuine dwarf!

Add displays Shiny the Elder Dwarf again, still gleefully designing stones with the Almost Dragonic Brand Civilised Stone Makeover Kit™ and exclaiming "Ssssshhhiiiiiinnnnnyyyyy!"

;-)

Take two.

It's been a dark day near the Pompei's ruins. The volcano is spitting lava and dark clouds furiously, sparing nothing from it's rage. Meanwhile, a scare rabbit bolts it's way out of the ruins. After a frantic race against death, the rabbit finally stops at a safer part of the valley and looks at the disaster he left behined relieved.

I'm not sure if I got it right, but there it goes... :)

The rabbit approaches the cliff carefully, his heart beating fast. He looks around with shadowed eyes, searching intently for his enemy, a glint of fear revealed for a moment when he glances down the cliff. Towering high above the ocean, the rocky giant imposes its calm demeanor on the waves that tickle its foot, ignoring anything besides its own immovable nature. The rabbit whimpers, caressing the slab of rock where he stands softly with its paws, begging him for protection.

There's a small shaking in answer, revealing a small hole just at its side. The rabbit hides in it, understanding the silent message. A furred creature appears, sniffing the ground, following the rabbit's track to the edge of the cliff. Suddenly, with an angry groan, the slab of rock teeters and separates from its father, sliding down and taking the hunter with it.

The rabbit peeks out of its hiding hole and in careful, slow steps approaches the edge of the cliff. Sighing, he squeaks a thanks to his protector and hops away, while the cliff goes silently back to sleep.

And trying it a second time... :P

The eagle soars slowy, listening to the sighing whisper of the wind around him. As his eyes sweep the ground lazily, his thoughts fly away following the beckoning song of the wind. His beloved's far away cries come back to his memory, bringing a wave of longing and sadness. His eyes dart back and forth, his hunting instict awakened by the scene imprinted on his mind - his bride, an arrow, a man. And the distance making him unable to outfly that arrow.

The wind howls, pushing him forward with strong currents, arms that help him find his victim. Arms that hold down a shadowed figure on the top of the mountain, pressing him to the ground. The wind is the eagle's friend, his weapon and his ally. Its yelling deafens the man, its cold fingers sting and blind him.

The eagle cries in joy as he darts down to avenge his dead bride.

I finally did one properly. I think.

The beetle puffed and panted its way up the steep slope of the stone's slimy surface, praying that the peak would presently be achieved. The stone sweated in the sun, little droplets of water obstructing the poor insect's path.

PS. Like all the s's and p's?

Take #1

Sad and lonely, he espied a simple leaf, the last of Fall's clothing to remain, holding onto it's Summer branch. The playful breeze teased and played, coquettishly seducing the last leaf to take the leap of faith and give in to the breeze's soft embrace.

Together they danced, the leaf twisting and turning, quite out of its depths, the breeze delighting in having swept it off it's perch. The leaf began to get the drift, and bounced with the jerky motions of a butterfly, a flutter by the breeze's breath, finally surfing and swooping skillfully about the clearing playing tag with the afternoon shadows and light.

Until the breeze tired of its latest lover, and dropping it onto the corpses of its former conquest, went seeking another.

He observed the leaf, left alone in grief, and saw himself.

Take #2

With ill-concealed venom, the volcano vomited its bile and watched its myriad tongues in their turgid journeys creep like centipede legs to grasp and kill all who fled too slowly, or who'd fallen to the aphyxiating breath belched in warning.

The bipedal grubs who'd denied feeding its hunger in their conversion to the pale idol's ways would learn, oh yes, they'd learn...