Which parts to lose.

A few people

I may get to stay in touch with

But most of them will slide away.

And if I were desperate

I could even keep the places I live.

A small hollow feeling tells me that wouldn’t help

There’s just no way to keep the past.

I saw no one commented, so I decided I'd better.

Very Buddism.

I doubt that's what you were going for though(or maybe you were, I dunno). Its also sad in a resigned, detached sort of way. It seems to start out on a personal level, a close friend or loved one is being pulled away by time, then gets more general. I'm not quite sure how I feel about that, but it does give an sense of expanding scope as the poem goes on... uhh... A feeling of loss that starts with one person a creates a realization of constant inevitable loss.

It also sort of seems to capture the essence of looking back at good ol' days, and realizing they're gone forever.

And thus we have to make good new days.

This is as much sense as I make when it comes to this stuff, so if I'm bothering anyone stop me, really. It doesn't get any better after this.

Wow, the comments on this poem are excellent! Not sure I can add anything other than that I liked it. I too noticed the start of personal loss moving into a broader scope of discouraged loss.

I'm one who thinks the past is to be cherished but not clung to. Embrace what's ahead rather? Interesting, the things we embrace today, we're forced to cherish tomorrow.

~Salinye :butterfly:

It reminds me of AM, SoB, and the military all at once. I tried for so long to hold onto those friendships. I guess the saying is true

"Friends come and go, but enemies accumulate" It is a well written poem. I enjoyed it.

Excellent poem Gwaihir! :) I think that your poetry has improved, particularly on a structural level. I love the way the spacing of the words in "Trying to Keep you" evokes the emotions of the narrator, especially in the seperation of the phrase "Piece by piece you slip away," which is cut into seperate pieces. The allusion to Theseus' slip is also very intriguing, as it brings an element of mythology and the notion that even great heros have their weakness' into the mix.

The message of the poem is also strong and heartfelt... Once again, great stuff! :)