The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Writer's Workshop Question

One question about the way things work in the Writer's Workshop, if i may?

When i became an Initiate and the Passageway was opened to me, i did read The Rules in the Writer's Workshop, but there was nothing there i felt qualified to comment on so the recommended way to comment slid past me as not applicable at that moment in time. The other day i went to leave a comment and my son pointed this out in the rules:

2) Comments may ONLY be posted in the Critic's Corner. Please include WW/(Subject)/(Author) if you create the thread for the first comment. (WW means Writer's Workshop)

DO NOT put them after a post. If so they WILL BE DELETED. This will help keep the cluttering down.

For example:

"WW/The Rules/Nyyark:

yet everyone has been leaving comments on the threads themselves in the writer's workshop, as anywhere else i've seen.

Which is correct?

Could be a lack of Moderation time on the part of the Elders.

Could be that this rule needs a review. the Writer's Workshop concept was carried over/absorbed from Nyyark's "The Draft Room", which he moderated fanatically.

Since it was absorbed by the Pen, Nyyark has been absorbed by High School/preparing for College. :P

I've noticed a great deal of our energy seems to come from our "Honored Guests" lately - who can't even SEE the Passageway...

revery pulls himself across the floor pitifully

*gasp* no energy... argh...

...seriously though... i'd respond in whatever way you'd think the author of the thread is comfortable with(your guess is good as mine), since any construtive responce is better than none... if ppl have already started responding in a "work in progesses" thread... then the damage prolly already done... so go ahead and respond...

revery

the dreamlost

"all fear the hooded fang" (jacob two two)

the dream continues...

• 3 weeks later...

I actually really dislike the rule about not commenting in the threads. It seemed very discouraging to me - especially for people who just want to leave short, usefull comments.

The only reason I finally posted there was because that rule seems to have been discarded (at least by the users).

i agree, Canid. i thought it was very discouraging as well. i don't tend to keep The Pen open in two different windows, yet without doing so trying to keep the thread you want to respond to before you while setting up and appropriate thread elsewhere AND remembering what you wanted to say in the first place - most days i have too many distracting factors around me to manage it.

The problem is, roughly half of commentators keep it short and sweet, and the other half carefully thought out and detailed. Take that into account with the proportion of an RP post (at least, what I've seen around here, and in Archamge) that is solely side comments, and it can really break the flow of a story.

What I meant was, if someone only has one thing to point out (ie "This poem is extremely well constructed, but the patern breaks down in line 5."), they are not very likely to feel comfortable starting an entire new thread to say it, so it won't get said, and may be exactly what the author needed.

*nod*

there are definitely points on both sides of the discussion.

i simply wasn't sure which way to post, initially, and kind of discouraged from posting by the necessity to try to go to a completely OTHER forum where i didn't even have the title and author in front of me to try to set up another thread and then try to remember what i wanted to say. :-\

i definitely agree that it can break a story thread.

If the rule were to be reconsidered, perhaps it could take into account the different nature of story threads and poetry threads?