the colours sear my fingertips

unseen, too, your elimination

from the silent desaturation

of mine eyes

watching from the shadows

gray.

Edited by Tralla

I love gray.

Not sure why but if the word gray is involved I¡¦m gonna like it. :)

With that aside, your poem paints both a childish picture in my mind as well as a very thoughtful adult portrait.

The childish version views a girl, about 7.. wearing all gray with black hair and white skin. She is standing next to a group of children who are playing, wearing bright vivid colors like an open crayola box. She walks towards them, and they drop the ball they were tossing to one another to point and stare. Their fascination with the difference between themselves and the newcomer based entirely on the way they differ in physical appearance floods their senses to where they soon become so absorbed that the color floods from their clothing and faces to leave them hollow shells of once they what were. The girl does not understand and drifts away companionless and confused. Innocence in my child's eye does not read complexity into the poem..and does not view the girl as the instigator of the problems..but rather as the victim.

The adult portrait sees it as a view on life and how people are different from one another. Also noticing manipulation and other forms of forced change. My adult eye seems to place the blame on the subject because she is different.

Overall its bloody brilliant.

Edited by Rune

Hi Tralla,

I think you did a great job here of presenting your subject in an effective way. I'm fascinated by colours, hues, the nuances of half-shades... so this was going to have me hooked from the beginning. :)

I think the first stanza is definitely the strongest. Maybe the last stanza would benefit from some metrical re-jigging, but overall I think it's a lovely pice of work.

Thank you for posting,

Harpy.

Once I had seen the title, I had to read it :)

I liked the way you used the colours, at first I interpreted them as moods or feelings, then as words or thoughts, or maybe something like life force - it made me read it again and again, and I found that I quite liked that flowing feeling of not knowing for certain.

To sum up, I think it's great. I really enjoyed it.