The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Your Influences

Rune

After reading most of the responses to the Identity thread, I figured I would delve deeper into everyone's mind and ask more questions!

Rune looks sneaky and considering her height most have to drop to their knees to notice.. she looks 'down' right sneaky.

Who are your influences? Either in writing..or style.. or even in just everyday life? Got a hero? Someone you admire?

Jonathan just shakes his head at Rune and chuckles

I've been inspired by a lot of authors primarily, that and good movies

Kim Stanley Robinson, The Mars Trilogy (Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars)

Authur C. Clarke Any damn book he's ever written

Peter F. Hamilton Reality Dysfunction

Robert A. Heinlein Starship Troopers (This wasn't a good book, but for being written in the 50's the tech is amazingly...well.. not campy 50'ish tech!)

David Eddings The Belgariad, The Mallorean

Lisanne Norman The Sholan Alliance

Also movies:

ALIENS

Macross Plus

Patalabor

Blade Runner

Akira

The Fifth Element

These are just a few of the things that I though were good ideas/looked good/enjoyed and pulled my ideas and literary and artistic style from.

I highly recommend all those books! :)

Well, most of my horror-type writing carries a strong influence from Stephen King, seeing as I've read far too much of his stuff for anyone's good :) .

Occasionally, I write some bizarre satire (none of which I've posted here yet), that seems to me to be a little like Kurt Vonnegut (but that's just my ego talking).

Most of my rping here and Kasmandre's backstory carries some elements of Robert Jordan (not nearly as complex, though).

...i draw from lot's of stuff i guess...

Music prolly being first and foremorst...

1. Grew up in a house of guitar players(classic rock, southern rock, blues, folk, mental, grudge, thrash, beatles, X-mas music and lots and lot's of MTV vidoes)

2. played alto saxophone in school.../ studied classical music and jazz off and on...

3. Lyrics of Aimee Mann, Queen,beatles, michael penn, red hot chili peppers, beastie boys, REM, tory amos, and anything else that sounds good...

Books:

Anything by Anne Macffrey

Anything by David Eddings or Robert Jordan

anything by douglas adams

'war and peace/anne karrinea', tolstoy

anything by helmingway

'The Pat Hobby Stories', F. scott fitzgerald

'A seperate peace' by john knowles

J.D. saliger's life in general and everything he wrote about the glass family.

the bible...

Jame Joyces' insane stream of concious style.

Susan cooper's the dark is rising series

greek mythology

anything by neal gaiman

'they whisper' by Olen Robert Butler

'illumanite papers'

'Jazz Singer' by Ric Woodley

'ghost world' Dan clowes

...and lots and lots of Southern folklore

Poets:

Robert frost

Dylan Thomas

E. A. Poe

Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Emily Dickenson

People:

every girlfriend i've ever had.

big brother, father, littlest cousin, grandfather

Signe

and lot's other ppl i've met along the way...

Media/movies etc.

The last unicorn-movie

Muppets show

Fraggle rock

star wars

Saturday Night Live

Phatom of the Opera musical

Highlander (1st movie)

NPR

Blazing Saddles

Michael Winslow in police academy movies

Fifth Element

Pulp fiction

Praire Home Companion

Lot's of wierd British show's that pop up on occasion on PBS.

Monty Python

George Carlin

cheech and chong

Robin Williams

Paula Poundstone

Bedknobs and broomsticks

archmage

star craft

the Onion

Sluggy Freelance

Misc:

being dragged awake as kid to watch Meteor showers in cold cold cold night

walking 'round at night...

really really really dark quiet rooms

sound of a blue humidifier

Walk in freezers(don't ask)

Trails, Creeks, Stone Mountain, go carts, bmx bikes, fire works... leather jackets and big red trucks...

training in Penion Canyon, Colorado where i discovered the many uses of medical type.

Bourbon Street, New Orleans... ya just gotta see it.

Amsterdamn... ditto

days resulting in lost brain cells in highschool... :)

and everything else around me at any give time... :blink:

...heh, guess that list is long enough... sorry...

revery

the dreamlost

"?"

the dream continues...

Edited by reverie

The mind of an author is as solitary as an oyster, silently he laid in the bottom of the sea, closed and motionless, but collection grains of small sand that flows by and forming it into a pearl. My inspiration cames randomly, like from anything... i could suddenly have a flash black to something i've heard in another conversation 5 years ago and used it to add to my writing, or sometimes it comes as an image which i cannot designate a source and can only collect a sense of feel... other times it's all innition, a gathering of experience sometimes collectively surfaces into my works.

ofcourse, there are always a few inspirations that struck the spine of your self and the cords in your soul, so here goes:

I never was much of a reader when i was a child, nevermind writing anything (especially with my horrible grammer). Come to think about it, i was still reading Mr. Uppity and Mr. Grumpy books in grade 5 (where's Mr. Psychopath and Miss Nymphomania anyways?) As a child I was forced to read The Raven by Edgar Allen Poe with no understand of what the poem what so ever, read some of the other required children literature such as Wizard of Oz, The Nanaria series (The Lion the Witch and the Wardrob etc), Island of the Blue Dolphins, Johnny, and once a while the libarian would read to us a morbid story call "the Clock on the wall" althought her voice inspire another style of horror itself. I totally missed out on Treasure Island or Ender's Game or other better young adult literatures worth reading.

Hate reading, words on text is the bane of my existance.

Then one day in another life time away, i've entered into the isolational stage in my teenage life, where I'm sure no one would understand me, where my life seems to lead into the possible path of just following what everyone else was doing and be another mindless automaton following the trend and fashion with no sense of self. It was an impossible path, for I am a loner and a freak of nature and someone are never able to get along with others.

Then I wandered into the library, by chance wandered into the science fiction/ Fantasy section, and picked out a book with a nice cover on it :rolleyes: It happened to be Margret Weis and Tracy Hickman's "Into the Labyrinth" the 5th book in the Death Gate Cycle. Granted I started to read the series from in the middle and pratically have no clue what was going on(plus that series isn't that great), but for some reason by peeking into the world of fantasy i began to understand reality, as if the two are served as comparison and contrast. The fantasy genre was the weapon to fight the bordom and purposeless in my life and it got me, for the first time in my life, hooked on reading. I finished death Gate cycle and bought the other books in the series that i can't find in the library, and then went on to reading my all time favourite series "Dragonlance Chronicles", then read "Legends" read a few more books and liked L.E.Morsiditt's matter of fact narritation, the historical acruacy of Ann Rice's books, especially how the novel seems to bring you back to that particular part in human history. "Wizard of earthsea" brought in a deep sense of individualism and will into the character which is interesting. "Stranger in a Strange land" by Heinlein actually opened my eyes and began to see religion as a huge properganda machine which controls the norms and culture of society, and the list goes on...

When i was younger my dad used to rent movies, thought i scarly recall actually watching them. I knew i watched "The Empire strikes back" "The Return of the Jedi" "Total Recall" "Interview with the vampire" "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" "Indianna Jones and the Lost Ark" "Indianna Jones and the Last Crusades" and maybe a few more, though i never could recall a single scene from any of those movies. But with my new awareness I became deeply inspired by the Tragic Irony of "The Twelve Monkies" (it is from that movie where I understand the doomsday apparation and the actions avoiding fate leads to the fate itself idea)

Sixth's sense brings out an interesting aspect of spiritualism, 'The Ring" (the origional Japaness version, not the american version crap) was the definite source of horror, althought it sould be more correct to say that there is an overflowing amout of 'ghost stories' in the Asian movie market and its general idea it held about ghost and spirits was what i took in as my own. It was the same with humor, although there was really not too many good humor films lately anywhere, except for "My Sassy Girlfriend" (which i hope they won't twist and warp it beyond recognition) I have downloaded the whole entire Neogenisis Evanglion series (though some epsoides are without sound) and i love the ending epsoides and its thoughts on existentialism. "There is a million of you, there's the preception of you inside your mind, and there is a preception of you inside my mind, and everyone else's mind...)

Actually stayed in the theater for the whole entire Blair Witch Project, almost makes me throw up.

Http://www.darkness.com was actually the writer forum particapate in... another gir who post dark poetry in there introduced me into it. the whole forum is dedicated to gothic writing and style, and I have some minor success with three stories i posted, i was serious into the discussion but the ppl keep a rotating door as they jsut come and go... alas i was a goth in mind but not in nature.

The first inspirtional music i've heard was the Counting Crow's titled "The Sattlelite" CD, the whole CD is filled with dreadful, miserable song which i can relate to on a personal level. The Spawn sound track got me into the heavy metal scene and i love how their music is soaked with HATRED and ANGER and DESPERATION. The trend of Music comes and goes then, and when the song becomes overplay it's time to move on, and currently I'm just listening to songs from Final Fantasy until better songs comes out.

"Baldur's Gate" showed me what a true adventure story should be (almost seemingly impossible, Twisted plot, and cool magic items) especially the the beginning of shadow of Arm which scared the living shit out of me and got me hooked on the computer for 72 hours non-stop playing. ( it makes good future reference for running future D&D roleplaying.)

Alas, the character that inspirited me the most is .... Raistlin Majere!!! Part of the reason why i was so hooked to Dragonlance is the strong depiction of Raistlin... my admiration for him is beyond words, but can be best described by the authors themselves "... I can, We've all been laughed at one time in our lives; we've all been jealous of a sibling; we have felt pain and suffered, just as he suffered; and we've all longed - just once - for the power to crush our enemies! We pity him, we hate him, we fear him, all because there is a little of him in each of us, though we admit it to ourselves only in the darkest hour of the night." -Justanius, in regard to Raistlin Majere.

Crystal has inspirited me in some strange ways... while we've only went out a couple of times she's deeply entranched into my mind... forever. Even now i could recalled some of the conversations we had and smile with both warm and bitterness in my heart. If the fantasy genre opened my mind into reality then she opened my mind about love.... Crystal, where-ever you are now, I wish you love and happiness.

Edited by Lord of the Gay

The world can be a depressing place for one so socially deprived as I am. I greatly enjoy, and in a way, try to slavishly copy (in no particular order) the words of Robert Jordan, The lightheartedness of David Eddings (sorta), The epic scale of Toliken, The mortality of Raymond E. Fiest, word art by Zadown, 'oh this world isn't so black and white after all' of Guy Gavriel Kay (ok, so not quite yet), 'oh crap, we aren't alone in the grand scheme of things' feeling of Michael Moorcock (sp?), writing styles of Tzimfemme/Rydia/Rose/Sossity/Minta and Gyrfalcon especially, as well as all you other members of the pen!

I tried to find the grouphug smiley, but it evades me.

Edited by Valdar and Astralis

Thank you, Valdar. :)

Hm... who and what influences me?

Authors:

Terry Pratchet

Raymond E. Feist

Robert Jordan

David Eddings

Terry Goodkind (Good description, but he's almost ghoulishly detailed in the sacking/raping/murder of cities...)

Michael A. Stackpole (Find and read the Dragoncrown Cycle!)

J.R.R. Tolkien

R. A. Salvatore

Tad Williams

and a host of other authors I can't remember as well.

Music:

3 Doors Down

Lifehouse

Linken Park

Game Remixes from OverClocked Remixes

...and quite a bit of other music that doesn't hold as many spots as those four.

Poetry:

Actually, very little to none. I don't really read poetry. :D

Other Influences:

The Bards of Terra from the old Blitz 1 Banquet Hall

the fine community at the Archmage Conservatory...

...and the great community here, at the Pen. Thank you all for the wonderful stories, poetry, music, friendships and more! ^_^

Some influences for the character of Wyvern are:

1) The character Babo from Johji Manabe's excellent manga "Caravan Kidd". Babo is the very epitome of a self-centered, greedy, lustfull slob anti-hero... A lot of the inspiration for Wyvern came about from his character. I definitely recommend the manga to fans of high fantasy/comedy adventure.

2) Rumiko Takashi, a comedic genious who's written a number of hilarious mangas, including "Ranma 1/2" and "Maison Ikkoku". She's also stretched her talents to other genres, such as horror with the "Mermaid Trilogy" and adventure with "Inuyasha". I would say Wyv has a hint of Happosai's mischievous ways somewhere inside of him...

3) Archmage had somewhat of an influence... and of course, the AD&D textbook physical description of a Wyvern.

As for influences for writing in general... hard to trace, though Tolkein, Stephen King, and Ian Livingsten (who wrote a series of "choose your own adventure"-type novels called Fighting Fantasy) all had influences. The Pen is Mightier than the Sword has also certainly had an impact on my writing..

In terms of musical influences in writing: Sage Francis, Illogic, Aesop Rock, and the Anticon and Rhymesayers collectives are the first that come to mind...

As I go through life, anything remarkable leaves an impression on me. People, places, pieces of literature, movies, incoherent rantings from the homeless, stand up comedy, music, the works. I possess an open mind that'll never be close to filling up. Problem is the filing system is non-existent, so anything that pops out is a combination of god-knows-what mixed with buggered-if-I-can-remember, processed through my misaligned psyche, fired out through my fingers as fast as I can think it

If something takes longer than 5 minutes or so, I lose it.

Well, inspiration... I'll have to say I'm heavily influenced by books (Mostly the Wheel of Time and Dark Elf series...) and video games (RPGs, of course). Music plays a small inspirational role, but is always nice to have around (I looooove music ^.^ ) Power metal is great background music when writing fantasy, because they're basically really short stories put to music. I've been influenced by all the sci-fi movies I've seen, and all the video games set in the future I've played, but never really extended that part of my writing very much.

I've said a few times before, but I think one of my bigger inspirations would have to be Tamaranis, since he's the one who got me to start writing seriously, more or less. (And RPing, AD&D style ;) ) Although I've always liked to write stories, I don't think I ever really got good (at least, better than I was before) until these last few years.

I can't really put into words what drives me on the most, but we'll just go with my overall stubborn attitude.

Oh, and it doesn't hurt to have friends like everyone around here either :D

Hmm...this is a toughie. I am a Gemini, which is a Wind elemental sign, and therefore am very changing and swift to transform...or at least that's my view on it.

My writing has forever been influenced by Robert Jordan, Tolkein (I mean, what fantasy writer HASN'T been influenced by him?), Kurt Vonnegut, Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.

When it comes to music, my personal musical style has shaped through a LOT of different music.

Incubus, for sheer musical talent and vocal quality, has really done a lot for me in inspiring my vocal method.

Flaw and Sevendust both showed me that you can have hard rock without screaming all the time.

Sarah McLachlan is just a wonderful vocalist.

Sublime has really good, syncopated vocal rhythms.

Sugarcult is a pop/rock sort of band that just has really cool riffs, go figure.

Evanescence is the best hybrid of heavy electronika guitar work and pure vocals I've ever heard - the CD comes out march 4th...DAMNIT that's a long time.

A pile of blank paper and a new filter tip pen, that really turns me on :P Or, a new software!

Oh, and Saturday morning, most inspiring thing in life.

Most of all, Saturday morning w/ an ice cold can of Red Bull, some bbq flavoured Walkers Crisp, followed by opening a pack of cigarettes, smoking number 20 and 19 with a big, fresh mug of coffee and hours and hours of absolutely no worry to do with as I like spare time ahead of me - very inspiring! :)

Still, I just really need something I wish to achieve, emotinally, motivationally and functionally... If I just have some sort of need, or urge, rather than staring at the blank paper after drinking too much coffee, then I'm there...

Praise, or critisism... that sometimes fires me up as well...

Yah, its a little lame, but I'm a little shallow, all I really need is a reason, that suits me and I can achieve without too much hassle :)

I know I have some more "real" influences, I just cannot put a finger on who exactly, its just a thing, something I know is there... I mean, like you all here, I love Tolkien etc, but most of the time, my influences are more obscure to me at least (prolly transparent to anyone but myself) but I definately think my mood influences me more than anything... So I always try and get myself into the mood - and Walkers Crisp (has to be bbq flavour, as it has this punch in the morning, waking up the whole spectrum of senses) and ice cold Red Bull, a few cigarettes (brand not so important, no menthol mind you) and a mug of coffee (again, brand not so important as long as its not poluted with sugar or milk) that's my real inspiration! So, I would have to go with something chemical, that REALLY wakes me up!

Okie, I just got home from town, been drinking, perhaps a little... am I answering the question... I have no clue!

Edited by Stale

Stale! Dude! So good to see you after all this time! :)

Whaddya think of our spiffy new site? Pretty cool, ey? I certainly hope you will spend some time here and share a few meanderings of your chemical excesses with the masses! :D

Yeah - black coffee - Now THAT's a waker upper! :lol:

Anywho - my influences. Hm. Confession time, because in reality, I must confess to being one of the shallow as well. I really have slacked off on writing for a long time, doing a variety of other things, mostly growing, out of obvious need, but certainly you're not here to hear about that!

Way back when, in the late 70's and early 80's was when I did most of my reading. A huge science fiction buff at the time, most of the authors are probably forgotten now. Heinlein was definitely the biggest, definitely still worth reading today. I think he was very transitional in terms of his generation, because his age spanned the 'old' values of pre-WW2 America with the cultural revolution of the 60's. That, I think, is what made his writing so invaluable, and still does today. He could invoke the hard-nosed sense and decency of real values with the freedom, hope, and vision of a higher way of being. My secret ambition is to write the screenplay adaptation for 'Stranger in a Strange Land'. ;)

Harry Harrison's 'Stainless Steel Rat' series was big. Keith Laumer's 'Bolo' series was big. Piers Anthony's 'Xanth' series was big. The Hitch Hiker's Guide series is BIG!

So I was a young kid with stars in my eyes but my head in the clouds - just couldn't work of course. My ambitions turned to naught as I tumbled headlong into life with a mixture of adventure and strife.

Ah, what a long strange trip it has been. :)

Music has always been a big influence with me. As contemporary art, music is unmatchable in it's ability to completely absorb and redirect one's mood, the lyrics being an added boon. Too numerous to mention, anytime you need a quick upper or focus or... whatever, reach for the artist's music of your choice. It's very powerful, easy, accessible, and legal! :lol: Once you do that you'll also notice how ephemeral moods are anyways, which is expanding in itself. Must have a decent sound system though - the cheap boom boxes nowadays and even MP3 music I don't think is very easy on the ears at all.

So who am I reading now? Heh, well, I have managed to re-read Heinlein through the years, and will continue for years to come. Also Ray Bradbury is a TRUE poet and genius - I will be re-reading his works (Martian Chronicles, Farenheit 451) as well as looking for the new stuff he has written in the mean-time.

An author a bit on the 'adult' side is Tom Robbins - absolutely essential for the adult! If in doubt, check out his newest book 'Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates'. I feel a real kinship with Tom because he mentions my hometown in all his books! :lol: His writing is so rich and deep, I have to forget all about him when I sit down to write anything myself. :blink:

Anyway, see you in the funny papers. ;)

Edited by Zool

(Damn,I need to get into this post earlier,I can't read all of that stuff :blink: )

Music:

Cradle of Filth

Red Hot Chili Pepers

Disturbed

And many more...

Writing:

Chris Lebouf (or Chris Stevens as many know him)

Douglas Adams

Poe (Is one of my favorites but I don't write like him....)

Most of the Pen writers...

Misc:

One f**ked up family

Friends

Depression for no reason :raven:

Boredom

and most of all...Life in genral...