The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

A priest and a mule walk into a bar...

Loki Wyrd

I think The Pen has reached a point at which it's ripe to evolve. Membership has changed; the structure of the realm would be well-suited to represent that.

Participation is to be strongly encouraged, as I know it is, through the acknowledgement of peers. Those who are more active play a larger role in shaping what The Pen is.

Elder members have a lore all of their own, as established through archives of past works; however, a hierarchy is alienating. More strongly recommended are forums which are open, allowing more freedom of participation. The empowered speak. To me, the Pen is a forum to be heard.

Edited by Loki Wyrd

We're already almost there, all that we have left to finish the trip is the mod/admin end: rewrite the codex so it makes any (current)sense, reset the board so each user increases in permissions just by posting (we may or may not leave the auto-cutoff at just before full Mod priv- we'll see.), rewrite the room descrips so they are clearer, and do some reorganizing of the Mod/Admin forums.

I have a work to attend tomorrow, and a one-year anniversary to attend on Wednesday (w00t), so I'll get started on the above either Thursday morning or evening (work comes in the afternoon, and finishes evetime).

If there're any other suggestions, I'll take 'em, but fair warning: I really want to keep this Occam's Razor, A.K.A., keep it simple.

Excelsior! :dragon:

I agree the Pen has reached a point where it is ripe to evolve - though I'm not entirely sure to what. The Pen has always been a socially participative site, by virtue of the nature of RP. RP is by definition interactive writing - personally I would look closer at how we can bring this into the 21st century to see how we can make it more relative and exciting to the forum patrons of today.

As to the upward mobility of the patrons, we already faced that some years ago with the mass promotion of mods and elders. The (then current) membership rose up with basically the same argument that Loki just gave, that 'a hierarchy is alienating' more or less, and our response was to give them the rank and privileges of those they said were alienating - to eventually lead us back here.

The plain fact is that in any organization there will ALWAYS be a division between those in the organization, those who are not, and those who are in-between. That is pretty much what defines an organization from a mob.

Now, I'm not saying Loki doesn't have a point - I'm just saying the problem may be a bit more fundamental than simply arbitrarily erasing the divisions between the membership strata. At stake is the very identity of the Pen. On the other hand, we don't want to hold that identity so close that it stifles all possible growth. Growth is, by definition, change.

I am jubilant to see we have just got a new application in the Recruiter's office - but sadly, that is the first application we have got in over a year! :( This of all things should be our number one priority to change.

I agree we should look again at our promotion process. I like basing it partly on post count, but not entirely. Quality should definitely figure prominently into the equation. At one professional forum I frequent they actually have an indicator (like a secondary rank) that says things like 'New Member' or 'Proven regular Participant' or 'Previous regular participant', etc, which is automatically calculated and assigned through a programmatic algorithm. Perhaps we could base it on several such measures - post count, participation, and member rating - which unfortunately would require more member participation, which is the problem shortage in the first place...

I still think our Standard is completely fine. For one thing, I think it beautifully captures the Spirit and Intent of the Pen. For another, it is not so specific that it ties us to a specific method or course of action.

No matter what ranking system we use (under whatever name) there will always be those who are dissatisfied with it - and they will usually be those who dislike being ranked anyway, or find themselves under a perceived disadvantage because of their relatively new status. As a matter of fact, this is exactly what one of the original purposes of the application was - to simply by virtue of putting a task on someone to 'join the group' it has the natural effect of filtering out those who lack the social perspective that the Pen as an organization is founded on - or so I see it.

Edited by The Portrait of Zool

My biggest complaint with hierarchy is not that one person is ranked higher than another, rather that as a new member there are a number of forums that are not accessible to them (I think, right?--I don't pay much attention outside the Tavern of the Quill). If a good deal of activity takes place within these forums then what a new member may see is very little activity within the forums, where I think they would be more engaged by seeing more activity, more stories and discussions that they can participate in.

Is there a discussion thread brainstorming how to increase active membership at the Pen? I would start by contacting old members, and letting them know that we'd like to see them back. If someone would have emailed me, the time between my visits would have been greatly decreased.

Great idea!

There are boards for the guild leaders and Elders, but the only real activity there for the last year has been keeping track of and eliminating spam, updating the board software (still pending), and the annual board hosting renewal - which we took care of this year without even requiring a fundraiser! :)

There are a few other boards for higher ranks, under the idea that one should get 'something' with higher rank - but by far the busiest boards at the Pen are the regular boards at the front - the Cabaret, Assembly Room, Banquet Room, and Conservatory.

If you would like to help out with things, especially in regards to executing an email campaign, it would surely be appreciated.... :)

Edited by The Portrait of Zool

First step will be to compile a list of inactive members with a history of participation, then if current active members will volunteer for the duties of splitting up the list we'd be off to a great start. My goal will be by the New Year to have that list complete and everyone on it to be contacted.

I feel that it would be most meaningful to receive an email from a member that you have a (good) history with. Perhaps mention old posts of theirs you enjoyed or writing events you'd like for them to participate in.

*edit: Thank you, Zool. I'm looking forward to doing a lot of winter break reading and writing.

Edited by Loki Wyrd

In conjunction with a campaign to revive old membership, it would be great if we have a number of participatory activities going on within the active membership. That's not so much my specialty, but I know a lot of you have been involved in (or currently are involved in) a lot of neat writing ventures. Let me know what's going on, so we can let the others know! And what events would people like to see? Let's get them started: No time like the present.

Hmm...I would like to be involved in a collection of Pennite poetry...anyone up for a Best of 2010 Poetry Anthology?

Also, maybe a war declaration contest? My favorite part of Archmage always used to be declaring war on other guilds. So a Pennite could choose a person, place, or thing to declare war on and then write up their best declaration they can muster. Something like this has probably been done before, but I would participate this time if anyone else is game...

Edited by Loki Wyrd

hierarchy - Elders and such are just a fancy name for admins/mods. the Guilds happened when there was too much work and not enough time for the existing mods, and as Zoolio said, to provide an incentive. Also as a focus - Guild membership was earned through activity, and let those with limited time to focus on giving feedback to someone who was active and trying to grow, instead of the "let me post this and I'll be back in a year to see if there's been feedback" sort.

the Pen needs... a Revival! Loki - set up the tent, hand out the fans and lemon-aide and PREACH at 'em! :P

Sorry I didn't deliever in my quoted timeframe. In short, I looooove working retail at Christmastime. :P

As for the technical changes, I'm sticking with simplest being best. I'll go through *tomorrow* (and since it'll be a busyness level of a Tuesday, I know I've no worries about being absconded with) and rework the wordings of what we're all about and *maybe* polish up the FAQ (but, one thing at a time!!), then Wednesday or Thursday, change the order of advancing into full site access to thus:

Vistior: same. Initiate-QB: by posting. Mod (full Mod) and/or Admin: by it being given to you ONLY.

I'm not sure if the post count privilege change settings will automatically add in certain Mod powers AND board visibility, but I'll make sure it will, if it won't.

I'll of course keep you updated on *all* changes, as they happen. Your running commentary will help out a lot too.

Z & Loki:

I have to agree with Peredhil. I like the idea of setting up in-site stuff like "best of 2010 Poetry" (voting'd be EASY to set up) and of mailing older folks. Take what you've got so far, and keep running with it.

Oh, and keep me posted, too? :)

Excelsior!! :dragon:

Okay, here's the edits to date:

• The Conservatory is now RP AND plays, and has been noted as such in the forum description.

-I didn't actually do any thread moving to accomplish this yet; I don't know when it'll be done, but sometime soon, abso. Volunteers?

• FAQ edited to reflect the Conservatory's new status. Can be viewed in Now that I'm registered, where do I post what?

-Again, no threads moved yet. Volunteers here? All English language plays would be in the Assembly Room.

• FAQ edited to give an up-to-date contact list for who to contact about getting your own news items on the News page. Can be found in How do I get my stuff in it?
  • FAQ edited to clarify current status of promotions. Can be viewed in Ranks and Advancement
  • FAQ edited to clarify mission of and current status of guilds. Can be viewed here
  • Library is, as it always has been, the spot for any work not originally created here, but is now noted more clearly in the forum description.

Coming changes:

• An Initiate becoming a Page will be decided by post count.
  • English language plays will be moved into the Conservatory.
  • Works that are not original on the Pen will be moved to the Library.
  • An archive of deleted posts, original versions of revised ones, etc. visible to all mods and Admins will be created.

How goes it with you, Z and Loki? (hopefully exams are well?)

Hmm...I would like to be involved in a collection of Pennite poetry...anyone up for a Best of 2010 Poetry Anthology?

Be careful what you wish for, Lok. ^^

Also, maybe a war declaration contest? My favorite part of Archmage always used to be declaring war on other guilds. So a Pennite could choose a person, place, or thing to declare war on and then write up their best declaration they can muster. Something like this has probably been done before, but I would participate this time if anyone else is game...

Shoot, even if it's just you and me, I'll take you on in a bluster contest any day. :dragon:

Okay, Initiate to Page is now going to change by posting- and that's all!

We'll see

A) If I did it correctly, and

B) If it works out, Page to Quill-Bearer will make the same change.

If all of this DOES work out, there will be no other changes to how you change ranks. Honoured Guests will still have to be accepted to become Initiates, and Quill-Bearers will still have to complete a Quill Quest. That's non-negotiable, bippy. 'Cos if we' don't challenge you, how will you get stronger?

As you may've noticed, Jason Newcomb has stepped up to the plate in organization of Assembly, Crtic's and Conservatory. I still have no bloody time to do the heavy work like this much topic moving (probably won't for at least another two weeks), so all help is useful and appreciated.

Anyone else?

Shoot, at this time of year, I guess I should ask:

Anyone home? :blink:

Speaking of homes; I may have to completely bow out of the internet for a week or so, and abruptly. The snows that hit the Eastern United States did not leave yer Loremaster out of the loop, and the subsequent water damage means they may have to dissect the front of my townhouse to fix the problem.

This is also where our cable runs, so...yeah. ><

I'll keep y'posted. :dragon:

As you may've noticed, Jason Newcomb has stepped up to the plate in organization of Assembly, Crtic's and Conservatory.

Not quite yet. The holidays have created ridiculous deadlines where I work. (it is past 3am as I write this and I started my day at 9am yesterday). But soon I will be able to dedicate a few minutes every Wednesday, thursday and firday during my lunch break.

• 1 month later...