The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

busy busy busy

Preprise

Tell me about it. I've been writing in spades, but for other things. This will give you an idea what I've been up to. This is the complete body of the application for one of the Seminaries that I am applying to, which also requires five recommendations, the usual transcripts and an interview. These questions are straight up insane. Not even Harvard Divinity asks for such detail! Okay a few are fairly straight forward, but taken together it's a soul searching nightmare. Only directions are to write in 12 pt type and be succinct.

1. What is your concept of religious leadership? How do you understand this in term of your call?

2. Starr King’s educational philosophy requires self-direction and emphasizes academic inquiry and experiential learning. How would you assess your capability for and interest in these educational values?

3. Starr King’s purpose is to educate progressive religious leaders, especially for the Unitarian Universalist ministry. Assess your abilities and gifts for the work of religious leadership, noting both your strengths and weaknesses for this work.

4. Describe your religious background and religious practices. In what churches and/or religious communities have you been involved? What leadership responsibilities have you assumed? Please give dates.

5. Name five writings, films, or artistic works that have influenced you and explain how they have helped shape your life. Name two historical events, either in your lifetime or before you were born, that have been pivotal in your decision to pursue religious leadership – and describe their importance to you.

6. Describe you cross-cultural experiences and your ability in languages other than your first language.

7. Describe your involvement in community service, arts and social activism.

8. Starr King embodies a curricular commitment to education to counter oppressions and create just and sustainable communities. How have these commitments shown up in your life? How will they manifest in your religious leadership.

9. How do you discern and attend to personal growth issues?

10. Do you have any concerns, whether physical, psychological or education, that you would like us to know about? Is there anything else you would like to tell us?

11. Autobiography: Please describe your development as a person. Indicate how the events and relationships you mention are important.

My answers were over 15 pages long, single spaced. Completely unheard of for the getting to know you portion of a grad application, which turns out to be the 90% of the application, also unheard of...well for me at least. Crazy.

rev...

Edited by reverie

• 4 weeks later...

thanks, all the apps were finished a few weeks back. I actually had to resubmit question 5:

5. Name five writings, films, or artistic works that have influenced you and explain how they have helped shape your life. Name two historical events, either in your lifetime or before you were born, that have been pivotal in your decision to pursue religious leadership – and describe their importance to you.

Because the school felt I didn't spend enough time on the historic events. Really annoying to tell the truth. I did a phone interview with a Minister in Nevada a few weeks ago and it went pretty well. He's also a poet, turns out, so that gave me a few extra points. The admissions board should be meeting now actually, so I should find out in a week or so whether or not I got in. This school is in California and I consider it my safety school. The one I really really really want to get into is in Massachusetts (no interview required!) and I should find about from them by Mid March. My second safety school is in Chicago and am actually planning a trip up there next month for an interview and to tour the campus.

So if there are any Pennites between Chicago and North Carolina by way of Indiana, I'll be coming your way the week of the 10th of March.

cheers,

rev...

Edited by reverie