The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

OOC for WW XXXIV: Art Gallery

(brief background...)

Rolling hills surrounded a small city, constrained in size and access somewhat yet oddly proud of that fact. The two roads leading in had prominent signs reading "Welcome to The Middle of Nowhere! Now entering the City of Dalton." The middle of nowhere was accurate - assuming one ignored the four lane highway a mile beyond the hills to the north, and the frequent air traffic to the moderate sized airport ten miles to the southwest.

There were two roads into Dalton. One would conclude that there were therefore also two roads OUT of Dalton. This was a conclusion the city fathers tried to forget. They tried even harder to ensure anyone who made their way in also forgot how to make their way out - at least until they'd spent their money.

Recently, however, there had been an uprising in Dalton brought on by the persistent obstruction of a local celebrity's attempts to return home. She returned in time for her theatre opening - wallet mostly intact even - but the near miss raised some ugly questions in the minds of the people. The most insistently asked was "What do you do with all the money?"

The city fathers have hit upon a plan to appease "the unruly crowds." They've had all the public offices remodeled. They've renovated the library. They've even reopened the museum! Now they've realized that they can convince their people that they're spending money in support of the arts while saving a great deal in decorating costs, and all they have to do is hold an art contest. Artists will be clamoring for the opportunity to have their work displayed in the new public offices, and to win the contract to provide enough art for all the new spaces!

It's a marvelous idea. It will work splendidly! As long as none of the artists gets overambitious...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sign up here - character name, type of art preferred, a little background if you like.

have fun! =)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Milo's art could be described as minimalist. Very minimalist. To date, he has sold 30 blank canvases to some of the wealthiest collectors in the world. He claims they are buying, not merely the physical painting, but the dialogue that accompanies each unique piece. Each work is the beginning of its own conversation, one that starts with 'why' and, one day, will end with the answers to everything in the universe. Such is the power of his art, or at least that is what Milo would like to think.

Milo is tall and slim, with quick, articulate fingers and an animated mouth. His most defining feature, however, is his thick eyebrows that frame heavily lined eyes. He appears to be in his late twenties in spite of his attempts to look younger; the black eyeliner and nail polish aren't quite enough to make up for the streaks of premature gray in his hair or the rough stubble that appears on his face by early afternoon, nevermind that he shaves with a razor every morning.

***I will be out of town and unable to post from May 17 to May 20. If this prevents me from playing I will gladly catch the next one.

Edit again: I am home and looking forward to playing!

Edited by Verileah

Since it looks like life is snapping at the heels of some of you as well, I can hold sign-up for a while and leave the introductory phase open a day or two longer than I normally would. I don't want to chase anyone out of ability to play - but if holding it open will chase you out of available time please let me know that also.

Sign up will be open until next weekend one way or the other, so you all will have the week to plan your characters. =)

awesome! This should be fun! =)

Mynx - s'okay, schoolwork is important. We understand that. Would be nice if you could play, but it's not worth jeopardizing important RL stuff for. =) *huggles*

Keeping sign up open longer is okay for me. Closing it on schedule is also okay for me. I love it when I can be easy-going and don't have to complicate things :grin:

Name : Ebenizer Marlend

Art : Calligraphy, illumination, map making.

Ebenizer makes old documents : he does calligraphy, illumination, and where necessary makes maps. For the last bit he can use the experience of being a professional cartographer for the last 4 years.

He is the kind of guy who desperately wants to be cool, is convinced he is, but is somehow always just falling short. His shades keep sliding to the tip of his nose when he's least prepared for it, he's just a bit too self-conscious in every situation, and not self-confident enough to use all the current hype-words comfortably.

Rather than a rugged stubble, not shaving gives him sloppy-looking patches of fur on his cheeks. The blonde highlights on his pincushion-hair are exactly the wrong tone and his leather jacket is too new and doesn't go with his baggy trousers, which look as though he's drowning in them.

He's tried (unsuccessfully) to create a mystery around himself by claiming he's travelled all around the world for his job to verify various measurements. Unfortunately, he told the lies so poorly that nobody believed them for even an instant. The only thing that's mildly mysterious about him is his somewhat unusual name : nobody bothered trying to figure out whether it's his real name or an alias.

Winning the art contest and having his work displayed in various public buildings would make him a whole lot more interesting, wouldn't it? Right??

Name: Cornelia Chesterfield

Art: sculptures out of recycled materials (wood, paper, plastic, tires... you name it!)

Appearance: 27, tall (around 1.70m), red-haired, slightly freckled face, big bright green eyes sparkling with enthusiasm as she talks about almost anything related to art.

Cornelia works with recyclable material to create sculptures. She is enthusiastic about her work and its quality, and will grab anyone who shows the mildest interest in her work to give all the details and ideas behind her latest creation - and try to convince them that the monstrosity piece of art is worth of being at the Louvre.

Cornelia and Ebenezer (who's 3 years younger) have dated for about 3 years. One day around 9 months ago, Cornelia was finishing up a small sculpture made of discarded pens/pencils/paper when it just clicked in her mind that she liked Ebenezer a lot more as a friend and a kind of younger brother than anything else, and just proceeded to barge into their bedroom to wake him up and give him the news. Never mind that was at 4 am on a Sunday.

Strangely enough (well, maybe not really if you come to know Cornelia), they still live together - Cornelia has just moved into the other room of their small apartment - and she keeps looking after Ebenezer in a rather motherly way. Ebenezer, on the other hand, has not gotten over their breakup yet and keeps feeling confused about this new Cornelia-roommate he's been sharing his apartment with.

---

Might be edited for better interaction background if needed.

Giles Jordan does nude fantasy female paintings and sculptures. He hates "nouveau art". If It doesn't take talent to make it is not artwork it is salesman ship crap. He doesn't even particularly care for the contest but wants make sure actual art appears. In his late thirties, He is know for using live attractive young nude models

Name: Ed the Fish

Art: Photography - Ed will take pictures of anything and everything, and often does at the most inopportune time. He calls it 'Unexpected Art.'

Ed earned his unfortunate monicker at a young age due to his incredibly puffy cheeks and tendancy to breath in large gasps when he was excited or surprised. Later on it was learned that he was actually the third cousin twice removed of a giant koi found living in a pond in the hills of the Osaka prefecture, although this story may have been slightly altered.

These days Ed works as a photographer for the local newspaper and occasionally freelances out to the police when they need someone with an iron stomach to document a crime scene. Ed certainly has this, having survived three helpings of his Aunt Maple's plum-and-red-pepper pudding with extra-hot-sauce glazing.

He considers his proffesion more of an artform, though, and when he sets his mind to it he can actually produce brilliantly beautiful images of landscapes, sunsets, and people going about the daily routine of living as if twirling through some grand, magnificent dance.

But mostly he doesn't, preferring to ambush people and snap photos. Needless to say, Ed doesn't have many friends.

Pierre Legrand

Art: oil on canvas

Pierre had been a french painter, living in Paris, trying to sell his artwork to the tourists on the Seine riverside with sometimes more,but usually less, success. When his money had ran out, he called once again on his rich uncle, who reluctantly, but in the hopes of getting rid of his annoying relative, paid Pierre a one-way ticket to the States.

Ever since arriving in this new country, Pierre continued to do the same things he had done in France. He painted Paris' well known buildings from memory, trying to sell the resulting paintings to anyone willing to look at them. He also speaks with a quite heavy french accent, which unmistakably places him as an "alien".

Jordan Mountjoy (male)

Height: 5'9

Eyes: Brown

Hair: Brown

Art: Sketches; ink, pencil, charcoal on matte/drawing paper.

Jordan is thoroughly disinterested in you. The way that you know this is so is because he's highly willing to tell you. He has absolutely no interest in what you do, whom you met, and where you did so.

A current student at Dalton High, Jordan is close to flunking out--he has few friends and doesn't want any more than he's got. The only thing he takes seriously are his art classes. All of his classes are art classes. He pays no attention to his teachers and spends the entire time drawing whatever comes to mind. Sometimes it's inspired by something real--his math teacher spilling her coffee resulted in "Map of Decaf", ink on notebook paper, and his best friend (Nate) has produced many portraits.

The reason that Jordan is entering the contest is to prove to his parents that he can accomplish something. His parents are the opposite of him--they care (in Jordan's opinion) far too much what their only child is doing, whom he's meeting, and where he's doing so.

I haven't forgotten you, I swear I haven't! Got near-strangled by RL and extended family stuff, but the load looks to be light for the next little bit. Have a blinding headache right now, and I think if I tried to write up the opener I'd throw up on the keyboard (severely jeopardizing any future entries), so by your leave I'll get this kicked off tomorrow morning.

*huggles all you patient people*

Dennis Cleaver, know as DC.

16 year old punk (kiddo) a Grafitter. Or should I say a Wannabe....

Growing up on the poor side of town and after a not very sucesseful school years, he slowly made his way in the underground scene in Dalton. It was only this year that the city itself became aware od DC when he made a bombing run, grafitting several public service buildings in a single night.

After a night in jail, DC published a manifesto for the freedom of art and it's boundaries....

oy... okay, are we all here now? including me? O_o

gah.

(if anyone REALLY wants to know what's been going on lately, PM me. It's been nuts.)

Opening up the introductory phase tonight. Will post the NPC kill on Tuesday, so that gives everyone two full days to realize I AM here and opening things up. ;)

*huggles all you patient people*

Alrighty! The Game Thread is open, and the NPC kill will be up tomorrow. If you want to get any introductory RP in before then, now's your chance. :)

Double-checking the character list I'll be working off of:

Verileah - Milo

Venefyxatu - Ebinezer Marlend

Tanuchan - Cornelia Chesterfield

Giles Jordan - Giles Jordan

Finnius - Ed the Fish (personal giggle for this one)

Patrick - Pierre Legrand

Merelas - Jordan Mountjoy

Mithrandin - Dennis Cleaver (DC)

Got everyone, and everyone correctly?

Speak now or forever hold your pieces... :D

*huggles*

*curse words*

See, this is what happens when I wait for people to get their posts up... O_o

Ended up in ER with Curious Mylo last night with a migraine... unfortunately that led to a medication reaction which left her with near-complete amnesia. Sooo I've spent last night and today with an 18 year old with all the short term memory, attention span, and world/self awareness of the average toddler. Have the medication/reaction pattern identified (and thus preventable) but currently have all the brain power of a limp dishrag, myself.

With apologies, will hit this tomorrow morning. I know what I want to DO, I just don't have the words right now, since 90% of my current vocabulary is distinctly profane.