The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

WW XXVI: Vannacutt Point

Mynx

Well the time has come for another Werewolf game. And this one is based on a failed story attempt of mine by the same title. (Lets hope this one is a tad more successful).

The storyline is simple. Vannacutt Point is an exclusive mountain resort in Canada that boasts some of the worlds best skiing/boarding for spoiled rich young kids. It only has access by one dangerous road and this road will not be cleared of snow until litterally the day before they open for the season.

One or two weeks before this happens, the seasons snow instructors are dropped off on the mountain by a helecopter to give them the time to check the paths for any changes since the last season, and get used to the mountain if they are new. One of the reasons this resort is so popular is the fact that the instructors are close in age to their common revenue (ie early to mid twenties). You will be these instructors.

The only means of contact on this mountain is a shortwave radio and you won't be seeing the helecopter for a week.

The wolves are simply insane. Seer will have witnessed either a kill or the wolves plotting and Baner will just be someone trying/succeeding to be a hero.

No PM Alliances - if you want to co-write that's fine but let me know.

Standard 48hrs day phase 24hrs night.

Signup will be for about a week.

Final request - don't feel the need to make every character the 'newby'. We need some villagers who know the mountain.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lord Panther sent me his application to post in case he would be away for sign up.

So here's player number one

Charles Montagne

A great skier in his mind, and sometimes on the slopes. His skills are there. In his mind, he would have been able to participate in the Olympic downhill races, but he didn't want to spend the time training. He is an avid backcountry skier, as well as heli-skier and regular, in-bounds skier as well. Prefers to work on his own equipment, as no one else "does it right". Can often be found at the bottom of the first tracks of the day in the fresh powder. He lives the mountain, and will probably die the mountain (or was that "on the mountain"?)

Personal sats:

Single - never married; doesn't believe that any woman would compare to the mountain enough for him to want to spend his life with her, but he is not against a roll in the snow with the bunnies.

Athletic, tall (around 6'2"), can be arrogant, dark hair (brown).

Always has the "latest and greatest" in equipment to try out.

Gabi Völker

Gabi is a twenty-seven year old woman, who hails from western Austria originally, but has lived in Canada for the last two years. She learnt skiing at the tender age of four, and has been going since, skiing mostly in the Austrian and Swiss Alps, occasionally in France and Italy, or Germany. Her dream is to go skiing in New Zealand before she becomes too old. She went to Canada, because she was getting bored of the Alps and wanted to try something new.

Gabi can ski wherever she wants, possessing the necessary skills even for the steepest of slopes. She is a very kind person, who easily makes friends, and although she is not a smoking hot beauty, she has the looks, which allow her to easily get into a relationship.

OOC: if anyone wants to be in a relationship with Gabi or wants to have any other roleplay oriented cooperation, then just poke me, and we'll see what we can work out. ;)

Brad Stevenson

Brad lives and breaths snowboarding. He's 27 years old and most of the last 7 years of his life have been one continual winter. A regular on the local mountains Brad has been visiting Vannacutt Point for the last 8 years and instructing there for 5. This will be his 6th year as an instructor. The rest of the year he follows the snow, taking on roles as ski or snowboard instructor the world over.

Brad has been known to simplify his life down to one simple statement:

"This is the perfect life, all season I get paid to do something that I love, then at the end of the season I go where the snow is and do it all over again."

Annelise Berger

Annelise was a skilled skier and starting her second year as skiing instructor in Vanacutt Point when she had a serious accident going down a new path. For the most part of the next year she was bed-bound, and after that slowly regained her strength and will to go back to skiing. Now, five years later, Annelise's skill isn't as great as it was when she suffered the accident - but she's decided to continue the life she had chosen, and is back to Vanacutt Point as an intern.

She has an easy smile and makes friends quite easily, having also a sympathetic ear and the knack of putting people at ease. However, behind that smile, she doesn't trust people easily and keeps her own life and feelings closed to all but a few people. She's 26, tall, with long black hair and green eyes that sparkle with the light and wind.

~~~~~~~

That's the idea... what made Annelise go back to Vanacutt Point isn't clear for me yet - I was thinking maybe of a good friend or even a relative who's also an instructor and might be with her presently at V.P. If anyone wants to be that person, or set any kind of background with Annelise, please feel free to PM me :).

Edit: some small changes to adjust the background for an interaction with Akallabeth's character.

Edited by Tanuchan

Ben Jenkins

During the summer season he's a hermit, and during winter season he's still hermit, but one that needs money and can ski. This is also the only reason that he works each winter as a ski instructor, and the fact that he has to deal with people leaves him indifferent as long as he can fly over those white plains.

He's somewhere around the age of 40, but the fact that he has a beard covering most of his face makes it hard to tell how old he is. He's friendly enough, but will never join in any apres-ski partying.

The only reason the resort takes him on each year as a ski instructor is because he knows the mountains as his back pocket.

Edit: Apprently this ski resort only takes on young guys as ski instructors, so unfortunately Ben will have to retire, will come with a different character later :)

Johann Olsen

He's grown up in the northwest of Minnesota, and has enjoyed both downhill and cross country skiing for most of his life. He is twenty-one years old, and is taking the job as another in a long string of various small opportunities that he has found to earn money. He is hoping that perhaps he may have found something that he can have as an enjoyable and adequately paying career.

He isn't a fancy or elegant skiier, as he has never found the reason or the opportunity to be fancy or elegant. He is quite competent at basic skiing in any terrain, and will stay standing up where many others with skiing finesse fail. (and fall)

As he is not very well off, he has looked forward to using some of the equipment that the lodge has instead of the lousy, cheap, junky stuff that he has used for most of his life.

Above all, he hopes that this may turn out to be more than just another job. . .

-----------------------------------

Height: 6'1" (1.85 m.)

Build: light to medium

Weight: 190 lb. (86.18 kg.)

Hair color: Straw colored blonde

Skin color: light

EDIT: Johann had a crush on Annelise five years ago when he visited Vanacutt Point for one week. As she had an accident at the end of that week and he found out her last name, he had not known what had happened to her until they both returned to Vanacutt Point.

EDIT #2: For spelling, not for fun

Edited by Akallabeth

Howdy all. Skiing Werewolves? KEWL. Count me in! And thanks for inviting me to it Tanny :)

Here goes:

Name: Gregor Mandalay

Background: Gregor was born and raised in Cedar City, Utah where he learned to ski at a young age at the BrianHead ski resort and then he moved to Salt Lake City to become a Ski instructor for Alta Ski Resort, then Snowbird and his last job was as Ski Instructor for The Canyons Ski Resort. But he decided to leave Utah and move to Canada and live there. He doesn't instruct people in skiing anymore for a company, just sometimes for rich people on a case by case basis.

Description: Gregor has Black hair that is long and straight and bright blue eyes. He is 6' 1" tall with an athletic build. He is in top shape and very arrogant when it comes to skiing. But he is a patient teacher and for the most part fun to be around. He is 29 years old.

The people at this ski resort know him for the most part. Especially those that are regulars and those that work the lodge and resort itself. :)

Edited by JDRollins

Ok, lets try this again....

Tina.

21, the most boring girl you've ever seen and heard. After about 10 words from her you'll fall asleep and everybody wonders why on earth the resort has taken her on as a ski instructor, because her skiing capabilities are more than suck as well.

Looks....remember that dull person that always hangs around attempting to be invisible? No? well that's where you have Tina.

May I join?

What does "48hrs day phase 24hrs night" mean?

I mean, I understand the phases (I think), but why 48/24?

Edited by Evangeline

May I join?

What does "48hrs day phase 24hrs night" mean?

I mean, I understand the phases (I think), but why 48/24?

Welcome to the game, Evangeline :)

To adjust for RL commitments and to give everybody chance to RP and post, and also read the other players' posts before voting, the day phases of the game take 48h in RL. Night phase, when there's only free RP and no need of voting, takes 24h in RL.

We found out that this choice of length for each phase works very well here at the Pen. :)

If you have any other doubts, feel free to post here or PM any of us!

~Tanny

Great! What do I need to put in a character, when do I need to submit by, and how exactly does voting work?

Great! What do I need to put in a character, when do I need to submit by, and how exactly does voting work?

For the 'what' of the character, I suggest you to PM Mynx, who is the mod if the current game. Post a short description of your character in this thread, as we have already done - as soon as possible; again, it's Mynx' call when the game starts.

Voting:

We usually start with a free-RP day phase: no one has roles yet, so all is well ;). After that, the mod (Mynx) will post a "first night phase kill" - an NPC kill. As soon as she posts, "day phase" starts. For the alloted time (usually 48h), voting is open - so basically you post your characters reaction, observe the other player's characters, and vote against one of them as being suspect of the kill (the "wolf"). Whoever has simple majority is "lynched" and is out of the game. These players can "haunt" the setting as NPCs (again, the mod determines if they're allowed to or how they do it). After that there are 24hours of "night phase": no one can vote, accuse, speculate, or reveal suspicions at all; during this phase, the wolves/seer/baner PM the mod their targets. Then another day phase starts. And so on... until one of the following happens:

1- villagers find all wolves: villagers win

2- there are the same number of wolves and villagers: wolves win.

Hope this helps :)

(Mynx: did I forget anything? :P)

~Tanny

PS. Sweet was quicker than I!!

I did read the rules thread, and I was confused still. Tanuchan helped tremendously. Thanks, both! I'll PM Mynx my character tonight.

Lord Panther sent me his application to post in case he would be away for sign up.

So here's player number one

Charles Montagne

A great skier in his mind, and sometimes on the slopes. His skills are there. In his mind, he would have been able to participate in the Olympic downhill races, but he didn't want to spend the time training. He is an avid backcountry skier, as well as heli-skier and regular, in-bounds skier as well. Prefers to work on his own equipment, as no one else "does it right". Can often be found at the bottom of the first tracks of the day in the fresh powder. He lives the mountain, and will probably die the mountain (or was that "on the mountain"?)

Personal sats:

Single - never married; doesn't believe that any woman would compare to the mountain enough for him to want to spend his life with her, but he is not against a roll in the snow with the bunnies.

Athletic, tall (around 6'2"), can be arrogant, dark hair (brown).

Always has the "latest and greatest" in equipment to try out.

Just wanted to add an age to Charles... I figure he's around 28 years old.

I'm in.

My characters name is Vinka Bogataj.

Though my family is from Slovenia, I am a pure Coloradoan

She is blond, blue eyed, girl next door quality to her, pretty and friendly.

It is not just downhill.

This is almost a pristine environment.

Vinka does cross country and is outdoors most of the time to serve as guide to guests, learning the trails and the area before the season begins.

She is rugged and experienced in snow survival, the rumours being that she has stayed overnight in the

cold and snow on several occaisions w/out any additional equipment.

She is also one of the first to volunteer for ski patrol, and, when she has the time, teaches the firsters classes.

(They're all so cute in their suits and short skis)

She enjoys the after ski parties, too, and loves to argue the benefits of going 2 kph thru the snow rather than 60.

*waves* Hi, I know it's been a while. *hides*

Anyway, I have a character. ((SOMEONE's character has to hate their job. *laughs*))

Stefan Fiori. Of Italian heritage (father's side of the family), but born and raised in the area. Very good skier, athletic and graceful, but doesn't enjoy it much: he is easily cold, and dislikes snow (he is quite aware how little sense that makes). But it's a job, and money is money (and money means he can get out of here!), so he takes what he can get, and if it means that he has to spend his winter instructing people how to ski, then so be it. He does what he has to, though can't be considered enthusiastic, by any stretch of the imagination.

Personal Stats:

Looks: Stefan is about 5'11" and slender, with longish pale blond hair that, for whatever reason, he dyes a light blue: rather good-looking, with delicate features. ((looks inspired by: picture)). Carries himself with grace.

Personality: On the quiet side: he tends to be a loner, which suits him just fine. While he is gentle most of the time, he can be as hard and cold as steel: that other side is just easily forgotten about by most people, since he displays it so seldom.

Has a particular distaste for arrogance.

Status: Single. He's gay: very quiet about it, certaintly doesn't flaunt it. Most people don't even know. ((if needed, I can take this entire part out: in that case, he's just single.))

Edited by Elwen

Name: Shayna Harmon.

Height: 5'9"

Eyes: Dark brown and gold (if the sun hits them just right)

Hair: Dark brown, two feet in length, nearly always in a single plait down her back (it'd be loose if you catch her just coming out of the shower or in the process of brushing it). Sometimes, if she's feeling fancy, she'll French-braid it! Oooohhh...

Shape: Average. Slender and with powerful legs (from skiing), she's mostly muscle with very little extra fat. She has a very fast metabolism, and that combined with the constant exercise keep her slim.

Perference on the slopes: Slolom and moguls, and for fun she kamikazes.

Personality: Likes kids, when she can get to them. She gives lessons if they're needed. Loves small groups, which number from one to five, and feels a bit uncomfortable in larger crowds. Has slight loner tendencies. Likes to tease those she's close to, if she can manage it.

Basic Random Stuff: I've decided to make her a local, if that's alright. If there's already a lot of locals I'll take that out. ANYWAY... Shayna's the second youngest of five, and both her parents are avid skiiers, so she grew up with it. Her family moved here from the city when she was eight, when her dad retired and wanted to devote more of his time to skiing. Therefore, she has some cultured tastes, like good literature and trips to a museum or two... This is her first year at this resort, and she brought a whole other suitcase filled with books in case she was closed off from the outside world.

Am I missing anything? Anyone want more detail?

Edited by Evangeline