The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Werewolf XXV: Wolf of the Dunes

Patrick

It's here. The 25th (if 20 was cool, then how cool is 25? a full quarter of a century!) werewolf game!

Now you might be wondering that if you know nothing about Frank Herbert's Dune, or it has been a long time since you have read the books, that playing in this game would be hard. Well, I have decided to base this Werewolf game only very loosely on the events in Dune, and even then only base the events on the first and best known Dune book. Therefore if you played the game, or saw the David Lynch film you already know most of what you need!

If not then I shall offer a minimalistic explanation, which is all you shall need so as to be able to play in the game. :)

Dune presents the conflict between two Great Houses, the Atreides and the Harkonnen (think about the Atreides as the good guys, and the Harkonnen the baddies). In our present game we shall be following a group of Atreides, who got seperated from the rest of their House. Unfortunately some Harkonnen (wolves) have managed to infiltrate the group. The group, after not being able to rejoin the main body of House Atreides has taken shelter in a cave, contained in one of the rocky outcroppings of the desert. Which brings us to a quite short description of the physical setting of the game. The planet called Dune, or Arrakis, is a desert planet, where the only things which break the monotony of the endless sands are the rocky outcroppings. Another essential part of the planet are the giant sandworms (possibly several kilometers/miles long), who make prolonged presence among the sands of the desert quite perilous.

In the cave complex, which seems to have been a small settlement before, but is now abandoned there is a large water cistern, which is the only source of water for the group, since rain does not fall on Dune.

The seer would be a member of the group, who upon arrival in the cave complex found a small container of liquid, which turned out to be spice wine (spice is a material, which is found among the sands of Dune, is quite valuable, and the worms protect it. It is used in food and drinks, and has a life-prolonging effect), which causes visions after being drunk.

The baner would be someone, who had received special training.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems I have forgotten to add the rules. To rectify that here they are.

PM alliances are not allowed (except between wolves of course), pm-ing for roleplay purposes is allowed and encouraged, I just ask that you add me as cc for the PM, or if discussion is done through MSN, IRC or something similar that I get a copy of the chat log.

And another thing. Please don't state roles IC or OOC, you are more than welcome to do so in roleplay though. ;)

I wasn't going to play again, but I just might have to for this theme. I read the first book in junior high (probably 9th grade/14-yrs-old) and was fascinated with the old movie, although it was very trippy. Matrix: Reloaded's big cavern scene reminded me of the big cavern in Dune.

I'll refresh my memory and be back with a character...probably a Bene Gesserit witch... :ph34r:

~Jamz :dragon3:

Edited by Jammeez

Edi, slumped against the wall, looks up with that absent smile of his, his eyes unfocussed. His clothes, once fine linens, are well underway to becoming rags and seem to be carelessly draped about his gaunt body. He runs an unsteady hand through his hair, a matted, greasy, brown mess of tangles and speaks in his customary slurred way.

"Heehh ... I'll ... hmm ... "

He stops speaking for a few moments, then sighs and resumes what he was saying.

"... play."

Edit : purple ninja edit to add a physical description :ph34r:

Edited by Venefyxatu

:( *sigh* That's seven, which is minimum. How long you going to give it, Patrick? I'll be out-of-town - though probably able to check in briefly each day - over the President's Day weekend, Feb 16-19th.

OTOH, I'm still researching/refreshing my memory. B)

I was thinking of starting the free rp phase during the weekend, and having the first NPC kill happen on Tuesday evening (CET).

Sign ups shall be accepted until roles are sent out, which means about an hour before the first NPC kill on Tuesday. :)

Oh and about being away. If you can't be here for some reason or other for a few days, I can extend phases (I already know that I won't be able to keep as tight a schedule as Tanny did anyway, evening shall be as precise as I would guess my phase ending posts right now).

Edit: there shall be a baner if 9 participants are reached.

So far we have:

Tanuchan - character to come

Akallabeth - character to come

Azuran - character to come

Pillow - character to come

Jammeez - probably a Bene Gesserit witch

DeanTheAdequate - Ibis Ginray, swordmaster

Venefyxatu - Edi, drunkard

Sweetcherrie - Fleur, beautiful, but naive

Edited by Patrick Durham

Must….resist….temptation…..AAAARGGGGHHHH…..I can’t….

Fine! I’m in! :P

(Patrick promised me not to start any killing before Monday :) )

I’ll be playing Fleur, a rare beauty, but oh so naive. The sweetest thing you’ve ever seen, but you can tell her that grass is red and only disguised as green and she’d believe it. Then again, she’s not stupid….just believes in the good will of people (and boy is she wrong most of the time).

*Attempts to change one of the "Character to come"s to something more specific*

I'll be Warren, one of the Atreides soldiers. He's a heavyset guy, generally silent and glowering from the sidelines. He is always quite ready and willing to fight for his Duke, no matter what he may say or how he may appear.

Also, as he is from the cool, water rich planet of Caladan, he is quite uncomfortable on Dune, though he is doing his best to adapt to his new home.

Okay, okay, stop twisting my finger, I'll play! ;)

I'll be a jaded Fremen who comes into the settlements to trade. He (I'll pick a name after I check Fremen naming conventions, I can't remember) is more used to off-worlders than most Fremen are, but is still a bit horrified at some of their water wasting habits.

Woot! We have 9 people. :) Means that there shall be 2 wolves, seer and baner. :D

Updated list:

Tanuchan - fremen woman, details to come, probably Azuran's daughter or granddaughter

Akallabeth - Warren, Atreides soldier

Azuran - fremen, details to come

Pillow - character to come

Jammeez - probably a Bene Gesserit witch

DeanTheAdequate - Ibis Ginray, swordmaster

Venefyxatu - Edi, drunkard

Sweetcherrie - Fleur, beautiful, but naive

Gwaihir - jaded fremen, name to come