The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

WW XXII : A Post Nuclear WereWolf Game

“War. War never changes.”

These words introduced one of my favourite computer RPG's ever, and will introduce the next WereWolf game as well. Interplay's Fallout is set in the western part of the USA after the third World War has destroyed the earth. This war was the first and last one in which nuclear weapons were used on a large scale : most of the planet has been reduced to desert, most of humanity has been wiped out.

Fortunately, thanks to Vault-Tec, large underground vaults had been constructed for those who were wealthy or important enough to seek shelter just in case of such a war. Those who made it were safe : the vault doors were sealed shut and would not open until the Overseer determined that the earth was safe again.

With the advanced technology that Vault-Tec built into the vaults, the vault dwellers led rather luxurious lives : they could enjoy comfort, food, fresh water, holodiscs, ... All this in a '50's style future under the leadership of the Overseer. I would ask that none of you play him!

In this game, you'll play one of the vault dwellers (I might mod another WW game set in the wastelands later, but let's not go there yet). You are playing the second generation to live in the vault (most of the original vault dwellers have died already but don't let this stop you if you have a great idea for a character of that generation!) and have a wide choice of personnel (technicians, doctors, security, cooks, cleaning staff, ...) or regular inhabitants to choose from. Some of you believe that it would be a good idea to return to the surface, and finally start living life anew, start rebuilding the world, but the Overseer is reluctant. He thinks that one generation is not enough for the nuclear fallout to dissipate and refuses to give permission for the vault door to be opened.

So there are a few who have decided to convince him with rather drastic means ...

Now, for some rules.

• Except for the wolves (and if they are included, the Lovers) there will be no PM alliances, although PMing for roleplaying is fine (please send me a copy of PMs as well).
  • If you vote for someone, please add a line to the end of your IC post including both player and character name of the person you vote for. Also, if you're changing your vote, indicate so clearly. I am easily confused :)
  • Time schedule : day phase will last 48 hours, night phase 24 hours. The “specials” act during the night, voting will happen during the day. Phases may be extended somewhat if your oh-so-dearly beloved mod ( i.e. me :P ) can't make it on time, but will never be shortened.
  • I will post the IC opening post sometime tomorrow, so you can start roleplaying if you like. With the weekend said to be an inactive period, the actual game will start on Monday. This should give people plenty of time to sign up and get used to their characters. Don't you love having your character die just when you get attached to it? ^_^
One more thing : depending on the amount of players I'm going to shuffle a bit with the special roles, using the following scheme :

7-9 players = 2 wolves + seer + witch

10-12 players = 2 wolves + seer + cupid

13-15 players = 2 wolves, seer, baner, cupid

15+ players = 3 wolves, seer, baner, cupid

In no case shall the roles be revealed during the game : if someone dies, you won't know what their role was. This is done both for balancing reasons and to maximise the role of a Cupid. I also hope this will encourage some serious pleading to influence votes :)

For those who missed it in the Q&A thread :

Cupid : before the first night, this player chooses two other players (the Lovers) who are inseparable (madly in love, close relatives, any reason you can think of). When one of them dies (through lynching / werewolf / other reasons), the other one dies as well. They may not vote against each other, not even to mislead the other players. If they are a wolf and a villager, they must cooperate to get rid of all the other villagers so they can live together in peace. Cupid may indicate him / herself as one of the two. Good luck trying to roleplay this without tipping off the wolves :P

Witch : (s)he can brew potions of restoration and poisons. The witch has the power to revive one dead character, and to poison one living character in addition to the kills of the wolves. (S)he can use the potion / poison on him or herself. The Witch will be allowed to use one potion and one poison in the game.

I hope I didn't forget anything?

Edit : NPC's are welcome as well - even if you're participating as a character :P

Game-thread is located here.

Edited by Venefyxatu

Okay. Y'all know me simply as "Cook". My father was a world-famous chef, my mother a collector of recipes and grower of herbs. I've inherited her recipes collection and herb pots, and both their skills in this area. I am overweight, as is to be expected, and will brook no skimpy eating in my kitchen! I am also an avid gossiper, spatula-wielder, and busybody. Track no dirt in my kitchen, eat everything on your plate, treat me with respect, and you'll be considered a friend. Do otherwise, and you'll never see cooked-to-perfection steak or eggs again.

DJ is fifteen and every parent’s nightmare. He has never tried to study anything in his life, and everybody thinks this is a shame since he is really bright. Unfortunately he only uses his intelligence to make other people angry. He constantly comes up with new schemes, and is utterly bored to be locked up. He’s heard people speaking about the sun all his life, and has even seen some pictures from it in the books that were saved. He feels it’s time that he finds out for himself, and tries almost everything possible to get away from the constant looks from the adults to get upstairs. He’s secretly in love with fourteen-year old Mary, but unfortunately Mary is being kept away from him by her parents. This of course is another reason for him to be headstrong, and try to escape his parents' supervision. DJ will do anything to get into trouble.

(OOC: This was too tempting to leave)

IC:

14 year old Mary is the object of the aforemeantioned DJ's affection. Before the war, her parents were somewhat higher class, and so she has been raised to carry herself in a similar manner and as a result is often seen by the rest of the children as being aloof or "snotty".

She finds DJ amusing and intriguing, all the more so since her parents keep the two separated, but she doesn't know if she actually likes him.

Quiet and well behaved, Mary does whatever work she can to help but draws the lines at the tasks her parents raised her to believe as "Men's work". People often mistake her for being older and she enjoys this small level of power it gives her.

I'm in. Let me think of a character, and I'll post again later - probably tomorrow.

This will be fun!! :D

~Tanny

Edit: Okay, got permission from Venefyxatu... I'm an old lady from the first generation. Surprisingly sharp and lucid for her age. More details later... ;)

Edit2: character below!

~~~~~~~

Kyraine Morgan

Now 75, Kyraine is a Molecular Biology professor, expert in her area, who was around 30 when she entered the Vault. People would expect her to be dying or at least doddering, but she's kept her wits, knowledge, and sharpness all around. Sometimes she does wander, but that's more like the way scientists wander than because of advanced age. She has married in the Vault, and her husband died of some unknown disease. By the time they found out what it was and how to cure it, he was too far gone to be saved. That made her quite cynic and sarcastic - she loved him dearly. She had three children, one of which has died in an unfortunate accident.

OOC: Kyraine's children would probably be either young adults or middle-aged by now (there was a dead child, so I think the ages can range from 20-40 years old). she might also have grandchildren... they'd be teens, I belive. So, if any player considers taking those role(s) please PM me :)

Edited by Tanuchan

"Chuck"s real name is Samuel Barnes, but everyone calls him Chuck. Not seen as one of the most important people in this small world, many even go as far as to wonder why he made it in this metal sanctuary. But their are a few who know. The youth in the vault all know about Chuck and he has befriended most of them, but only the most observant adults has caught on to Chuck. Most of them only call Chuck when they have a toilet plug or a broken refrigerator. Chuck is the janitor of the Vault and most don't give a second glance. But those who do will noticce how he can pop out at any time from anywhere, for he has the most knowledge by far of the innerworkings of the Vault (some kids even say he was the original designer, but hes to young for that....right?), those who who pay close attention will notice the lump in his back pocket where he keeps whichever "classic" hes reading, these days its Das Capital by Karl Marx, those who pay close attention will notice that the kids never lie to Chuck, because he can read people too well and always knows when they are fibbing. But you will notice these things only if you are the most observant, you will never hear these truths from Chuck himself, because he never talks, not to adults anyway....

( i know i have a bad habit of disappearing mid-game, but now with summer here that shouldn't be a problem anymore, and if worse comes to worse chuck just becomes a npc)

John Doe

John was barely three days old, when his father, a soldier, left him at the shelter and went off for war, never to return. He had given no name for the infant and it was thus that the inhabitants of the shelter had named him John Doe.

John is now 45 years old. He had married at the age of 24 and had a son, Derrick James, at the age of 30. At heart John likes DJ, as all fathers like their children, but sometimes the boy causes a bit too much trouble.

John had previously worked as a technician, but for the last seven years has worked as part of the security team of the shelter.

Richard Braggins, the world's last pulitzer prize winner. Already a bestselling novelist of high repute at the beginning of the wars' climax, his final novel, Cestus Dei, earned him international recognition as being the last international bastion of peace and sanity in that time of horror.

The missles began to hit, and he bribed his way into the vaults in the very last days before they were sealed. It cost him nearly everything, but his survival was assured. He was a truly accomplished author; when the vaults locked, he was twenty-seven.

Now, at 71, he lives off of the excesses and (now) condescending kindnesses of fans as well as those who pursue the social climb as voraciously as they have ever done - he is no longer a person to these folk, he is instead a walking, talking trophy.

Richard has never had any special training in any field; the only thing that ever made him special was his writing. His new lifestyle, however, is non-conducive to creativity.

After fourty-five years of being completely unable to finish any piece, or get ahead in his new world, the once sharp, compassionate, and erudite writer is becoming shallow, cynical, and despondent.

Howzat?

EDIT: Changed time passage to be accurate for setting. Thank you, Tanny!

ADDENDUM: It's good to be back. Thankies. ^^

Hey Ozy!

*tacklehugs*

WEEEEEEEEEEEE!! Welcome back!!!!!!

:P

Then, according to Venefyxatu, we've been living in the Vaults fro 45 years already, so I think your age is a bit off... ;)

(Don't feel bad for not knowing, I talked to him to create my character and needed also to know that to set a proper age :))

*HUGS*

:D

~Tanny

Irene Taylor is 15 years old and bored to tears with life in the vault. When she was younger Irene was a wild child, always going on 'adventures' and getting into trouble. Over the years, she has explored every nook and cranny of the vault. Irene's well known to everyone, as they've all spotted her restlessly roaming around the vault at some point. In an attempt to stave off utter boredom, Irene has taken to doing odd jobs for the residents and personnel of the vault.

Great to see people signing up with interesting characters :D

I just thought of something I forgot to mention (and which is not really important to the game but might be fun for you to know). In the Vaults, most people usually wear a kind of "Vaultsuit". They're blue overalls with in big yellow numbers the number of the vault on it (22 in your case). I believe they're pretty comfortable, but of course they all look the same ...

While you're all waiting for the real game to begin, this is the Vault the game will take place in. (screenshot taken from the introduction movie of Fallout 1).

As promised, and slightly overdue, I'll open up the IC thread so you can start roleplaying your characters if you feel like it. The first NPC death won't occur until sometime late (for me at least : GMT + 2) on Monday.

Billie Jo Pike was Myrtle's second daughter. Myrtle's husband, Red, was pretty sure she wasn't his daughter, but what could he do? His wife had broken a bottle over the city boy's head and gotten raped for it--city boy's family hushed that up and would hush up anything worse. All Red could do, and did, was quash any hint of hoity-toity behavior in his girls, and teach them both to say no with their fists. Jessie Ann (fifty-one, now) married and started a family, and damned if it didn't happen again--rich people got bored with nothing to spend their money on and no other way to be better than other people. Billie Jo (forty-eight) was a little smarter, and didn't marry or have kids, even though it cost her most of her income. She labored in the greenhouses, from planting to harvesting, and smuggled potting soil home for her mother's cherished rosebushes. Flowers were 'wasteful' and never approved for planting in the vault greenhouses; Billie Jo sold roses for very special occasions, earning enough to continue living alone, although Ma and Pa had died.

sweet! i'm just back in the door with the kids and dead from the neck up and the shoulders down, but i'll pop back in tomor... (wait, it's after midnight now, isn't it?) Sunday afternoon with a character, k?

I will indeed be handing out the roles on Monday, so there's still time ... and as you can see, Ayshela and Akallabeth, your spots have been reserved ;)

Great roleplaying so far! I'm really enjoying reading the game-thread :D

Player Character
Katzaniel Cook
Sweetcherrie DJ
Mynx Mary
Tanuchan Kyraine Morgan
MeThinksUFoolish Chuck (Samuel Barnes)
Patrick Durham John Doe (gone NPC)
Ozymandias the Elder Richard Braggins
dragonqueen Irene Taylor
Quincunx Billie Jo Pike
Akallabeth Irwin
Ayshela Melinda

Edit : Lookit me! I can do tables :D

I decided I'd introduce you to one of the NPC's as well ... gotta run now!

Edited by Venefyxatu

Melinda is in her late teens, a pretty blonde who's sharp enough to take full advantage of the "dumb blonde" stereotype. The daughter of one of the wealthy financial backers of the vault, she treads the very edge of spoiled-brat, though she's careful to never make anyone TOO angry. While bored with the confinement of the vault, and curious about what might be outside, she recognizes the advantages of a closed and controlled society where people can't just leave to escape someone who knows just that much too much about them.

Irwin is about 80. He grew up on a farm, and took it over at an early age after his father died from a heart attack. He had the good fortune of living near a vault, and was able to get inside pretending that he was a servant of one of the many richer persons fleeing catastrophe. Ever since that last day in which he saw the sun aboveground, he has longed to return. Year after year has passed, in which he has had nothing better to do other than tend to the underground gardens and fields raising food crops.

He has no living family, as most of them passed away in the Third War, and the couple others who made it in with him died of natural causes. He has been alone for five years now.

He has white hair, and is not very tall, though he is still quite spry and active for his age.

(erm. . . if I think up more, I'll add it. Hopefully this will do for now. . .)

Edited by Akallabeth

Unless my calendar is off (which wouldn't surprise me at all) it's Monday, so I'm going to shed my lazyness and start doing something around here ;)

I'll be handing out the roles in a few moments, and after that post the first NPC death. As of then, you'll have 48 hours to do gossip, roleplay and voting.

Good luck!

A few more notes :

If the specials don't pm me, aside from them being whipped, poked or maybe tickled, it's a missed chance for them. The Seer will not See if he / she doesn't pm me, the Wolves do not kill if I don't get a pm from them.

Just for clarity, this is the only time I'm going to announce what special roles there are :

• 2 wolves
  • 1 seer
  • 1 cupid
Cupid has until Night to pm me who the Lovers are. If that doesn't happen, I will roll dice and do it myself ;)

If one of the Lovers happens to have a special role, this may absolutely not be revealed to the other Lover!

Once again, the Lovers may not vote against each other, not even to confuse other players. If the Lovers happen to be Wolf / Villager, I think it ought to be quite obvious that the Wolf-half does not harm his / her Lover.

If one of the Lovers dies, through Lynching, Wolf-kill, or any other unforeseen reason ( :blink: ), the other one dies as well.

I think that's it.

Edited by Venefyxatu

So the Lovers know each other, and can communicate about the game?

And if a Wolf is Lover to some non-Wolf, s/he can't say anything about it to the other Wolf? Other than, "I think we should kill X instead of Y... no good reason, but that's what I think"?

And cupid gets only the 1 opportunity, right? Just 2 Lovers and that's it?

If one of the Lovers dies, we'll know that because two people die, right? But we won't know either of their roles?

So the Lovers know each other, and can communicate about the game?

Yes, indeed. As soon as I get a message from Cupid telling me who the Lovers are, I will personally let them know. Aside from the Wolves, they are the only two who can PM each other.

And if a Wolf is Lover to some non-Wolf, s/he can't say anything about it to the other Wolf?  Other than, "I think we should kill X instead of Y... no good reason, but that's what I think"?

Indeed, you are right again. Depending on how good the Lover-Wolf is, his or her packmate might of course get suspicious after a while ;)

And cupid gets only the 1 opportunity, right?  Just 2 Lovers and that's it?

This time you're not completely right. Cupid does only get one opportunity to choose 2 Lovers, but the role doesn't end there. Cupid is the only one who knows who the Lovers are, so he / she might get to play an important role in influencing votes, if they all live long enough. I'd hate to be Cupid when he / she is wondering whether one of the Lovers is also a wolf - could he / she influence the votes enough to kill two people at once and thus get rid of the last remaining wolf? ^_^

If one of the Lovers dies, we'll know that because two people die, right?  But we won't know either of their roles?

And correct again. That's the only time you'll figure out that a special role has died. This should keep the tension in :)