The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Werewolf XVIII: Sign up and OOC

Kasmandre

Excerpt from the Report on the Incident on His Majesty's Penal Colony on Annisberg:

The Island of Annisberg and the Penal Colony therof describe a location some thirty leagues South of India.  The Island itself represents a rough circle approx. 3 miles across it's widest.  The Colony sits at the eastern shore of the Island, being on the only navigable side, the other three Cardinal Directions to the Island being blocked by outcroppings of stone.  Apart from the land cleared for the Colony, a close forested Jungle hangs about the Island.  According to records in the Commandant's Office, these Jungles housed a Native population uppon the Island's first discovery, but they were killed of Disease shortly after the foundation of the Colony.

The Colony itself is much smaller than its cousin on Australia, housing no more than a few dozen at any time, Guards and Convicts inclusive.  The Convicts at the time of the Incident appear to have been a volitile mix of Political Prisoners and Capital Criminals condemned to Exile.  The Convicts were employed in the growing of foodstuffs for the Colony and other Menial Labour.  Escape from the Colony was impossible as the Colony sits on the only coast from which a boat could launch and no other land exists within swiming distance.  The Armoury was kept in a locked cabinet in the Commandant's Office, the Guards using the Sword and Whip to keep the Convicts in line.

That's about it. You're all convicts or guards on the English penal colony at Annisberg around the start of the 19th century. It's a fairly small colony as these things go, but, despite the lack of walls or cells, escape is nearly impossible unless you fancy hiding out in the jungle for the rest of your life. The only way off the island is a supply ship that comes about four times a year and drops off supplies and prisoners and picks up guards whose term of duty is up and pardoned prisoners. There used to be some native people on the island, but they all died of smallpox and other diseases shortly after the English started the colony.

Unfortunately, they didn't leave. The angry spirits of the native people still haunt the island and they've had just about enough with the colony. The wolves will be prisoners or guards possessed by these spirits. The spirits want to wipe out the invading presence and leave the island a sacred place, as it once was.

The baner has managed to get the key to the Commandant's armory, where the firearms are kept and is using the weapons to protect the other villagers.

The seer knows the island like the back of his hand and get pretty much anywhere unnoticed and can spy on the other guards and convicts.

The Commandant is an NPC. He's not really made for running a penal colony and spends most of his time studying the records of the colony, especially the ones about the natives. He pretty much lets the guards run things but will step in if they get seriously out of line.

I'll probably start game either Thursday or Friday. Some general rules:

-no PM alliances. PMing to establish relationships is fine before game starts, but after the first NPC kill, only the wolves should be PMing each other.

-day phases will be 48 hours, night phases 24 hours. RP during the night phase is encouraged, but no accusation/speculation.

-dead players can come back as ghosts and interact with the living or other spirits, but no influencing the living.

-When accusing, include an ooc line stating specifically who you're accusing.

I think that's it. Can't wait to see what you guys come up with.

William of Humperton

Son of Sir George of Humperton young William lived the life of a spoiled brat until his early twenties when he got involved in a secret group of republicans. The aim of the group was to get rid of the king and make a republic of England. However they were betrayed by one of their own and captured by His Majesty's men. William's father, using his political influence managed to avoid William being hanged, but still William was sentenced to eighteen months in prison.

Yet he was not the type to be caged. After merely two weeks of inprisonment in Newgate prison he escaped mortally wounding a guard in the process. He lived as an outlaw for seven months, robbing food and money when he needed it, until he was finally apprehended in the forests around York. During his capture he killed two of the sheriff's officers, but was himself also badly wounded.

Again due to his father's influence he managed to avoid the death penalty, but this time he was sent to His Majesty's Penal Colony on Annisberg for a sentence of seventeen years.

He has already served thirteen years of his sentence, yet his views have not changed. He still vows that when he returns to civilized life he shall campaign against the monarchy, and he is ready at any time to debate his views with any of the guards or fellow convicts.

Before his first capture he had been pretty much the perfect english gentleman, looking nearly always exactly as etiquette demanded it, but since he had become much more dishevelled. In the time he spent on the island he let his hair grow and grew himself a beard.

William is relatively tall, measuring over 6 feet 4 inches. He has a hair, the colour of which is a mixture between blond and red, and his beard is of matching colour. He has eyes, which sometimes seem to be greyish blue, but at other times show some green. He has a slender build, but during his life on the penal colony he developed the muscles needed for the work.

He has a complex personality. At times he shall be willing to discuss nearly any subject, but then there are the times, when he becomes really closed in on himself and disturbing him is a bad idea.

OOC: I might add a bit more info later, but for the moment this is what I have come up with. Tell me if it is missing something.

Introducing...

Seth Millar. Pirate (retired?).

Seth was, until his capture, a genuine pirate sailing the high seas looking for adventure, loot, rapine and the chance to murder pretty much anyone who annoyed him.

Since most of the people he murdered ended up as sharkbait not too many people found out about that part of his career, consequently when the British government finally caught up with him and charged him with piracy Seth was sent to this Penal Colony rather than finding himself up on additional charges for murder and simlar inconveniences.

To be fair it is a life sentence, and Seth doesn't mind that much... but he misses the ocean life and you can bet that if he gets his hands on a ship he'll be back to piracy in a second. He might even take a few of his nautically inclined inmates with him as crew. :)

William the Bloody, aka "Spike"

His tale is a sad one indeed. He was born into a moderately wealthy family, but his father died before he ever got to know him. Raised by his doting yet sickly mother, William never became very "manly," instead being more interested in books and poetry. The poems he wrote, mostly filled with love and yearning, were also very poorly written and overly sappy.

In his early twenties he was still struggling for acceptance and fell in with the "wrong crowd." Deluded into beleiving that he'd found a cure for his mother's illness, he made the wrong choice and formally joined the bloodthirsty group only to find that it wasn't what he'd thought yet now he was stuck.

Being basically good at heart but having thrown his lot in with pure evil he did what he had to do to find acceptance and became known for his violently bloody escapades. Strangely, even though he earned the moniker "William the Bloody," he never truely lost the good inside his heart. Finally, the authorities gathered enough evidence to capture and incarcerate him, for a time, but they still can't seem to prove that he really killed anyone. So, he has been sent to rot on this island pending trial while the authorities try to assemble enough evidence for a conviction and execution.

Bartholomew Jamison, prison guard.

Wholly unremarkable at the outset of his duty, Bartholomew at Thirty-five years old has already been stationed at the colony for nine years, and has slowly but surely increased in paranoia and shaky confidence.

He tries too hard sometimes to exert his authority because he wants to "make sure the blaggards stay in line", a fact which the convicts resent from the subsequent verbal and physical abuse which may or may not be justified from outburt to outburst.

He too, however is not a cruel man at heart, he is simply a soldier trying hard to do his duty, but whose resolve is inexorably crumbling under fear of his charges, fear of dying here, fear of being alone. His commander worries about him, and Bartholomew in turn worries about everyone, and and everything, though he is loath to admit it.

Fear which may or may not be wholly justified, as he has made claims more than once of hearing strange voices in the night.

I'm in ... I'll probably edit this post within the hour when I decided what character I'm going to play. Ideas aplenty :)

Edit : See? Told you so! :P

I believe that at the start of the 19th century, slavery was still not completely abolished in Britain, right?

If that is the case, then I'm going to play a character known as : The Shaman (and quite the stereotype he's going to be :P).

He used to be the Shaman of a tribe in Africa, but when the British army took their land and slaughtered half the tribe (taking the other half into slavery), he was one of those who survived the sea journey and was sold.

Years of performing intensive rituals, carrying spears and wearing wooden masks, joining his tribe in the hunt and other physically intense activities have made him strong so he fetched quite a good price. The ones who sold him ... "forgot" to mention that sometimes he goes into a trance and that he seems to be capable of performing some real magic, including curses. Also the fact that he claims to speak with spirits wasn't mentioned, but nobody ever found out if it's true anyway ...

Slavery was something the Shaman did not enjoy, however, and after three weeks he made it obvious to his masters that he had cursed them. After the wife and children died extremely painfully under mysterious circumstances, it is whispered, he killed the lord of the house with his bare hands. He was meditating on top of the corpse when he was found and arrested.

The reason why he survived his arrestation and was not even sentenced to death is still shrouded in mystery, but it is whispered (when people are sure that he doesn't hear them) that he used dark spirits and foul magics to manipulate those involved and that this is the best result he was able to achieve ...

A few rather important physical / look things about him :

• He refuses to wear any clothing except what is required for basic modesty. Anything else forced on him is removed in mere seconds, never to be usable again.
  • His right eye is missing (it was lost in a hunt) and has not been replaced or covered up with a patch. The image of an empty eye socket does a lot when cursing someone ... (it's all in the head :P)
  • His tongue is not merely forked like that of a serpent, but many times so (it looks like it's been through a paper shredder). Someone who would investigate this would discover that this happened after he came to England. Someone who would then continue investigating (and be quite lucky) would discover that it happened when he cursed his masters ... The result of this is that his English, which is already no more than a few basic words, is completely unintelligible.
*rubs hands*

Bring it on :D

Edited by Venefyxatu

I'm in :D Last one was over way too quickly.

Aimo Fuad

A 38 year old Arab, who has the largest beer belly ever. He is on the island because he had one pub crawl too many, and ended up killing someone over a shot of whiskey.

To his credit I must say that it was a 35 year old Kinclaith, unfortunately he had forgotten that it was the other guy who had paid for it.

Gnarlitch, love the character.

How about an all Seer werewolf in the future?

Everyone claims to be psychic, but the wolves are really psychic and brook no falsehoods.

:)

Have fun with the game.

The spirits will be watching.

Alex "The Hammer" Landowne

Alex was one of the worst extortion muscle boys on London's West End. 9 times out of 10 he was only called on when death is the final answer...

A large man, but seemingly bright for his demeanor, he eluded capture for two years. It's said that he sent almost 75 men, women and children to thier deaths. Instead of hanging, he was sent to the colony to do heavy labor for life. Now he seethes for a chance to head back and mete out his sort of justice to the superintendant who led his capture.

However, for now he seems to be biding his time. Setting up new buildings as well as diggin new wells most of the time. He sleeps deep and converses while working with the rest of the prisoners. Usually about old exploits to the new ones, just to put the fear into them...

Corwin Tremaine is from Glasgow, England, and is the son of a duke. He is a guard at Annisberg, and has been for the past 4 years. He will probably stay here until the end of his life, mourning his Lady Lilah LeCureux and their love.

He initally came here when Lilah was arrested with a number of others for having plotted to topple the British government. The day he heard the sentance, he knew that he couldn't help but follow, and he became a guard at her prison, so that he might watch over her, try to protect her, and comfort her. Throughout the following three years, he did what he could for her, though he knew she could never leave. Their love never lessened, but she believed that he should move on, find someone who had more of a future than her. However, perhaps due to the German in his blood (from his mother's side), he was too stubborn to do this. Then almost a year ago after yet another night on this Isle of Hell, she was found murdered in her bed. The killer was never found. The first anniversery of her death is coming up within days. And though she is dead, he can't help but feel that she has not entirely left, that more of her remains than the body that was buried within the soft earth.

Until death reunites them, he will continue to be a guard, dealing out punishment for any trouble with an iron fist, and keeping his ears open for anything that might tell who Lilah's murderer is, or was. For once he knows, and knows for certain, that one will be crushed mercilessly, ground into the dirt by the heel of his boot. And woe to any murderer who dares to kill another, innocent or otherwise.

(Thanks to Tanny for the character idea! :) )

Edit: Additional details added

Edited by Akallabeth

An NPC spirit would be fine Tanny. If the wolves have their way, you'll have plenty of company soon :yuiwink:

I'm going to make the first post sometime tomorrow evening, both to give a little extra time for anyone else who wants to sign up and because I had my last final of the quarter today and I'm wiped (figures the course I've been dreading the final for would be at the earliest possible slot). All the characters so far look great!

So, I'm the spirit of the girl Akallabeth/Corwin Tremaine fell in love with. :)

Lilah LeCureux

Daughter of the Marquis of Normandy, Jon de Anglìs, a political refugee; helped her father to organize and implement a plan to destabilize the British government. When her father was caught, she confessed her participation and pointed out two of the (lesser) leaders in exchange for his life.

Lilah met Corwin Tremaine in a masked ball, and made friends with him. Corwin fell in love with her almost immediately, but being the nephew of a duke who was then in disfavor, he never dared to propose to her.

Once sent to Annisberg, Lilah found some solace and companionship in Corwin, and only then she understood some of his feelings. However, she could never love him as he would have liked, as she was still too worried about her father and also because she cared for him enough to not want him wasting his love on a convict for life.

The reason for her murder was related to the plot her father directed, but no one knows about that.

Aka, see if it's alright. If not, I'll edit accordingly :)

Edited by Tanuchan

Sorry for intruding... :)

I did this mainly to help me locate who's who, and need to put it somewhere... it may help others, also.

Please don't forget that I am an NPC - no use voting for a spirit who's already dead, right??? :P

Players

NPC Edited by Tanuchan

Evil? Where? Have you been drinking too much, Aimo? I thought this was a vacation island, meant as a reward for those do-gooders who ... ohh, wait, took a wrong turn somewhere :blink::P

I have to agree, though ... I like the way it looks :D

Patrick, sorry about you dying first in your first game, but that's how the random number tumbles. Feel free to post as William's spirit as I'd hate to see so little of him. As for everyone else, remember, this is night phase, so no accusations or suggestions thereof.