The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

A Valentine's Day Celebration

Zariah

It was 6:00am and the sun had not yet touched the horizon. Zariah shot up out of her bed and stretched her arms over her head as she let out a yawn. Smiling, she plopped her feet on the floor and headed to the window. Her companion crow, Wanderer was perched on the sill with his head nestled in his feathers, still napping.

In crow speak, she spoke with utmost enthusiasm, "Wanderer! Wake up! It's Valentine's Day and I get to host the Ball!!! Go, fetch your family and our brother clans so we can decorate!!!"

With a brief shake of his head, and fluff of feathers, he cawed an approval and headed toward the forest. Zariah changed into an outfit befitting for hard labor, and checked to make sure she grabbed all the right decorations. As she entered the Cabaret room, she saw that it was looking quite drab. The sun had peeked up and light was beginning to cheer up the walls, but the room was barren and ugly. She was eager for her help to come, so she opened the windows in welcome for their arrival.

The first thing Zariah did was rearranging the tables to leave room for the band and the center free for dancing. She took 40 red cloth covers she had made, and placed them on the chair cushions. She pulled out pink tablecloths, and put doilies in the center of every table. She went to the kitchen, where she had a cart already prepared and rolled it into the room. On it, she had already collected the silverware, plates and napkins for her to distribute. The centerpieces were 7 inch wooden-carved figures of crows holding a rose in their beaks. She placed the last one on the final table and heard flapping. She looked up and saw around fifty crows flying toward the windows with ironically, roses in their beaks.

"Oh my! What a surprise! You brought roses for me to decorate with??? Now, do I even want to ask WHERE you got those???" Wanderer flew to her arm and placed a rosebud with his beak into her hair.

Zariah smiled and stroked his head. She then decided to share her decorating plans. "Thank you all for coming to help; I could never do this without you! I have crepe paper in three colors- red, white, and pink" that needs to be hung up by the ceiling. It'd be cool if all three colors could be intertwined...so I figure 6 crows could team together for each wall. I also have giant heart-shaped cardboard cutouts to place on the wall. I can hand one crow the tape if another two can fly the cutouts to the various locations. Basically, this is all we need to do before the caterers get here. Thanks so much for the roses! You can place three or so on each table around the figure--which by the way is a crow!"

The morning passed quickly, and the caterers arrived with the food. Shortly after, the band set up. Zariah dashed to her room to get ready. In a strapless red dress and flats (since she KNEW she'd trip in heels), she entered the Cabaret room and found it to be quite magical. As she turned toward the door, the first guest had arrived right on time.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweetcherrie was standing in front of her mirror, and looked at herself, "Why can I never choose what to wear?" She looks over her shoulder, a colourfull pile off, at least, 20 different dresses covers the bed. "I've tried all of them," she thinks while checking her watch, "and I don't have time to change anymore, or I'll be late for the ball."

"Ding Dong", the sound of the doorbell interrupts her thoughts, glancing for the last time in the mirror, she hurries of to open the door. In front of the door is standing what looks like a whit ball of fur, pressed together like a harmonica bus.

"Please come in your Sharpeiness," Sweetcherrie says as she opens the door further and makes an inviting gesture. The white ball of fur hops over the threshold and enters the living room, where it sits down on the couch.

"Would you like a drink?"

"Wroef, wuf, brk" the furball barks. Luckily Sweetcherrie studied Sharpein, and understands that the Presidente wants a rum and coke. Sweetcherrie walks over to the liquor cabinet that stands in the corner of her livingroom, she gets out the rum and coke, and starts fixing a drink for the Sharpein Presidente Pilocanci sitting on her couch.

"I asked you to come because I wanted to give you something. I wanted to give it to you before we went to the ball, so you can take it with you and show off, if you want."

"Wruf, bark, woof woof?"

"Yes I know the risk of giving you things," she answers while pouring the drinks in a glass. Sweetcherrie knew, last time somebody had tried to give something to Presidente Pilocanci, nobody had ever seen that person again. They said that he was now enslaved, by an army of fleas.

"But this is a special gift, I am pretty sure that your sharpeiness will like it," Sweetcherrie walks over to the couch, and puts the drink she had mixed on the table in front of him.

"I will get it from the other room," and she dissapeares to an adjacent room.

Pillow hopped of the couch to get his drink, and slurped the rum and coke down in once. While sitting down again he looked around the room, which was only sparcely decorated.The couch he had been sitting on was made of black leather, and the table was of dark, colonial wood, as was the liquor cabinet. there was a similar couch standing on the other side of the table, and in the corner he could see a flash screen, used to receive the flash news messages. next to the flash screen he saw a computer, little lights were flickering on and off, telling that data was being transitted. Both were standing on a writersdesk, again made of the same dark, colonial wood.

"I'm not too good in packing things..." Sweetcherrie came back in the room, carrying a large object, wrapped in white plastic.

She sat down on the sofa opposite of him, and placed the package on the table.

"Would you like another drink?"

Pillow, who had now become very curious as to what could be under that white plastic, quickly shook his head, and looked eagerly at the bulky package.

"Well, I guess you could unpack it-"

Befor Sweetcherrie had finished her sentence, the Sharpein had attacked the gift. The air was now filled with little pieces of white plastic, that were fluttering slowly to the floor.

"Whuh!?" Pilocanci, looked as if he was on the verge of making her dissapear as well!

"There is a description and manual that goes with it," Sweetcherrie hurries to say, and holds up a brochure, "I had it translated into Sharpein."

The Presidente grabbed the papers from her hands, and starts reading.

Murder & CO is proud to present:

VGI 2005

A fully automatic gun built to military specifications

this specific type has been used to kill manny nations

The gun holds a massive amount of ammunition

which will guide you safely through any mission

It will fit bullets from small and larger size

and the laser is used to carefully aim between the eyes.

Its lights, optics, bi-pods, and other mission specific accessories

are seen as a necesity in all the bigger armories

The stainless steel heat shield keeps you from being fried

thus securing you with a safe ride

The vertical grip simplifies killing

And the special effects are simply thrilling

Easy to handle and easy to use

this is a weapon worthy of Zeus.

Don't just go killing time,

Kill your enemies!!!

For online manual and possible side effects, see www.murder&co.wrs

Pillow looks up and glares at the nervous Sweetcherrie.

"Do you like it?" she asks with a high pithced voice.

She feels herself quivering lightly, because if he didn't like it, she would probably be smashed into smithereens right there and then.

OOC: I'm sorry but grammatically there are probably quite some mistakes, I got lost between past and present times....

Zariah blinked and again the figure disappeared. She shrugged, and looked around. The crows had all flown away, except for Wanderer, who was perched on a beam up above.

"Wanderer, I'm back!" she exclaimed in crow tongue.

He replied, "You look great! I sent everyone back to the forest, because I was worried that if anyone came while you were away, we'd scare them off. But I waited to wish you good luck, my friend."

"You are truly my brother in spirit, Wanderer. Please share my gratitude with everyone, and ask all the clans to join us tomorrow at our usual spot. I can tell them about the Ball."

She extended her arm, and Wanderer perched on her shoulder. He nuzzled her neck, and she stroked his back with her other hand.

"Well, I shouldn't have expected anyone to be early...but I swear I thought there was a figure approaching....but then it disappeared... Oh well...”

"I best be on my way." And with that, Wanderer spread his wings and flew away out the window toward the Sun.

Zariah headed back to the door with a chair she grabbed from the nearest table, and as she always carried, pulled a book from her pouch to read while she waited.

Edited by Zariah

Venefyxatu was not really a person who bothered much with what to wear - he liked his red robes because they were comfortable and he liked the colour. Today, however, he'd put on his best robes - dark red velvet, elegantly cut yet comfortable, and a pair of soft black boots underneath. A spell he'd come up with recently made the Nether and Verdant patterns that always crawled across his staff look a lot less threatening - it looked almost friendly now. He'd carefully combed his white-ish brown hair and gotten the impression that it seemed to be regaining some of its colour.

He checked the folds of his robe one last time, paying extra attention to one of the secret pockets and then left his room. As he walked through the halls of the Mighty Pen Keep he started worrying a little - maybe he should've sent an invitation first or asked her. He knew that she was going to the ball as well, he just didn't know whether she'd be going alone.

Shrugging off his worries he kept walking - he'd never been good with humans, elves, shapechangers, fey, dwarves or any other living creatures for that matter. What had to happen, would happen...

He stopped at her door for a few moments to catch his breath again. She didn't use this room much, preferring the woods outside the keep, but surely she'd be here to change before going to the ball? Venefyxatu knocked softly and waited, hearing a muffled "Gimme a few moments!" coming from the room.

And indeed, true to her words, a few moments later Tanuchan opened the door. The dress she was wearing was just perfect for the Pen's Valentine Ball as well as a perfect match for her long black hair. The strapless, flowing velvet dress, light blue in color and hemmed with embroidered patterns in a darker hue, fit her perfectly and showed her gracious figure without compromising modesty. Venefyxatu's eye caught some of the patterns, strangely resembling some of those on his staff, but they seemed to blur as Tanny moved slightly. A single jewel in the center of the sweetheart neckline reflected the sunlight coming from a window, sparkling in all shades of blue for a moment before quieted by Tanny's hand.

For a few moments neither of them spoke, Tanuchan surprised to see the quiet Necromancer at her door, Venefyxatu smiling lightly at her surprise.

"Tanuchan ... you look wonderful!"

Not quite sure whether he means to add "for a living being" or not, she just smiled and thanked him for what she assumes is a compliment before he continues.

"There is something I've wanted to tell you for quite some time now, and today seems like the perfect day. I still didn't thank you for getting me out of Wyvern's office and showing me around the day I applied."

Tanuchan grins at the memory.

"You're welcome ... it's best not to stay around Wyvern for too long if he's busy with one of his schemes; which is most of the time."

They both chuckle, the joke having broken the ice.

"Say, Tanuchan, would you accompany me to the Ball?"

With a smile and a nod, Tanuchan answers, "Of course! Just let me get something from my room and I'm ready."

A few moments later she exits her room again carrying a package. Accepting the arm Venefyxatu offers her, they walk to the Cabaret room where they are surprised to see that they are the first to arrive. Zariah finishes her paragraph by the time they reach her and closes her book, getting up to welcome her first guests.

"Welcome, welcome! You two are the first, but I'm sure the others will be arriving soon."

Remembering how much she read, she adds under her breath, "Or at least I hope they will..."

While the initial politenesses are exchanged, both Tanny and Venefyxatu can't help but notice and marvel at the decorations...

Pilocanci looked over the new rifle with the precision of a Marine Corps Weapons Instructor. It was a fine weapon. Clearly Sweetcherrie had out done herself. Looking over at his secret Valentine, he smiled broadly. Out of one of his folds, he handed her an translator, motioning for her to put it in her ear. The small earpiece fit snuggly in her ear.

"Thank you for the gift," the Dictator said," I really do like it. Well, love it, actually." He put down the rifle and took out a teleportation waypoint beacon. Placing the ping pong ball-sized device, activating the black ball. With a flash of blue light, a clear glass case about a meter across and a meter tall, and a meter in width appeared out of thin air. Inside was a beautiful array of dark red and electric blue crystals. They were arranged in wonderous spires and arches.

"These are Varilis Crystals," Pilocanci explained," They are a very rare type of crystaline plant that grows on an ice planet we have just discovered in this solar system. A Planetary Exploration Droid brought back these crystals as it roamed the planet. As beautiful as this display is, it is not the main gift. We haven't gotten a name for the planet we discovered yet, so I was hoping you wouldn't mind if we named the planet after you. Would you like that?"

Edited by Pillow

From across the entrance to the Cabaret room, Equester watched. In honour of the occasion he had donned his dress robes, ceremonial robes that were worn by the Templars only on special events. Emblazoned on the black silk of the robes were many runes of power and protection trailing up the arms and around the hem and hood. Upon his chest was a large red cross, the symbol of his order.

Frowning slightly within the shroud of magic Stropha had conjoured up to keep him hidden, Equester struggled within his mind to find the courage to enter the Cabaret room. It wasn't the same as the fear before battle, he was used to that and could handle it. It always passed when the first blow was struck, replaced with the emotional vacum that all soldiers must posses in order to kill thier enemies. Nor was it even the same as when he had first crossed his Order and performed his first summoning, for then he had known what he was doing and firmly believed he was right.

This was a different kind of fear, insiduous and cruel, eating away inside of him. To be surrounded by so many people, all talking and laughing and mingling. For one such as himself who had spent most of his time in isolation, the thought was terrifying. He had almost made it through the door once already, but then he had failed and withdrawn to gather his courage and try again. Maybe when Stropha returned from his errand, maybe then he'd go through. Maybe then he'd find the courage...

Sweetcherrie's head started to glow, it felt as if she had suddenly gotten a burning fever. She fuddled with the earpiece for a moment, maybe she hadn't heard right, but the earpiece was still firmly in place.

The presidente not only liked her present, he had even given a present in return, and what a present, he wanted to name a planet after her!

For a few moments she didn't know what to say. The fear she had been feeling, just moments before, seeped away from her body. She looked at Pillow on the other sofa, and was amazed at the changes she saw in him. All of a sudden he didn't look frightening anymore, he looked sweet and fluffy.

"Now don't lose your head," she said sternly to herself, "this is still Presidente Pilocanci."

she looked up, and saw that he was still waiting for her answer, "Yes, I would like that very much." she said in a whisper.

"Excellent", Pilocanci responded," I will inform my National Astronautical Database." He then stopped for a second, observing Sweet Cherrie's demenor. He could tell by her scent that her body was releasing a fear-based hormone. Her body tempreture was elevated. Appearently, his reputation followed him too well. "Please," Pilocanci said,"Relax. I'm not going to turn you into a flea or any other such none sense."

"You mean you can't turn people into fleas," Sweet Cherrie asked.

"Oh, I can do that," the Dictator answered with a smile," along with controlling all incest life in a one mile radius. Unfortunately, few know the good things me and my fellow Sharpeins do for the Pen."

"Really?"

"Yes," Pilocanci continued," About a month ago, a magic effecting virus known as the Vorolis strain had began to effect the members of the Pen. We managed to quarenteen the virus and cure it before it spread too far. Then there was the alien invasion we halted with an atomic vibration manipulator."

"A what?"

Pilocanci smiled. He occasionally forgot that the Pennites weren't as technologically advanced as the Sharpeins. He explained," An atom has a set rate of vibration. Even your most dense molecular structures vibrate. What an atomic vibration manipulator, or AVM for short, does is cause the atoms in a object to vibrate at a very high rate, causing the molecular bonds to break down. We simply aimed the AVM at the alien ships, making the material they were made of break down into it's basic component atoms. The vacuum of space did the rest. Remember that meteor shower about three weeks ago? That was the alien fleet getting picked off one ship at a time. The flagship got away before we could destroy it. Let's see...Then there was the Nocturnal Dirt People that one of our Subterrianian Exploration Teams encountered. That's one of those stories you'd require two years of theropy and a never ending prescription of tranquilizers after hearing. But enough about that. Isn't there a ball we are supposed to be going to?"

Sweetcherrie had been nodding with her head as if she had totally understood what had been explained, untill the ball was mentioned.

She got up from the couch and wanted to run into the bedroom, "Yes we should go, let me check my make-up-"

"You look fine just the way you are," Pilocanci interrupted, "I've ordered a taxi, and they should be here right...about...now."

And sure enough a car parked in front of her appartment. They got into the cab and ten minutes later they reached their destination.

Pilocanci held the door open, and they strolled into the richly decorated Cabaret Room.

Sweetcherrie's mouth dropped, "Ooh, this is so beautifull"

"Close your mouth, or are you planning to catch some flies?" Pilocanci grinned.

"I'm liking him better every minute," Sweetcherrie thought, and grinned back, after having closed her mouth.

There weren't many people their yet, but they went to get some drinks and joined Equester and Zariah at their table. Sweetcherrie looked around and saw that Venefyxatu and Tanuchan had also arrived, and waved happily to them.

"Rum and Coke please, and what would you like to drink?" Pilocanci said in answer to Equester's question what he wanted to drink.

Sweetcherrie thought it over for a moment, "A Bacardi Breezer Peach, please."

And as Equester went to get some drinks, Sweetcherrie turned to Zariah, "I love your table decoration, where did you get the idea?"

Pilocanci was really enjoying himself. So far, Sweet Cherrie's only short coming was not being Sharpein, though that wasn't such a big deal to him. This was to be a friendly date, not a romantic one. He briefly excused himself as the others at the table were engaged in conversation. Walking to a secluded corner, he opened his comlink. "Yes, Presidente," a voice answered on the other end," This is Strategic Command; Colonal Rutch Scoofaldi speaking."

"Good evening," the Dictator began," The planet naming is green lighted. I need a transport team to receive the new weapon I obtained from Sweet Cherrie."

"I'm sending one now, Presidente," Col. Scoofaldi replied," Anything else?"

"Yes, now that you mentioned it," Pilocanci responded," I need to know the status of those temporal distortions. I don't want to call my date off early if I don't have to."

"I understand, Presidente. The temporal distortions seem to be a result of a geo-magnetic vacuum due to the collection of a large amount of energy three kingdoms away in the Orcish Confederation in the Findalis Mountia-"

"Can it wait until my date is over," Pilocanci asked.

"Yes, sir," Col. Scoofaldi assured," We have two Counter Strike and Rescue/Recovery Teams on stand by if you need them."

"Good," the Dictator remarked," I want you to send a Teledon Imagery Inducer set on," Pilocanci took a look around the room at the decorations. Zaraih really had done a good job on it. It just needed a little more 'atmosphere'. " Set it on light display T3 Delta. I'll manually activate it from here."

"Right away, Presidente," Col Scoofaldi answered. Pilocanci set the teleportion waypoint and activated it. The same blue flashed, leaving a gun metal grey box behind. Opening a small compartment in the box, he typed in a series of numbers on the miniture keyboard. A small, quick beep was followed by a quick flash. The room now had small, red floating holographic hearts floating about comlpete with a very nice ambient musical score that gave the room a wonderful and appropriate feel. Pilocanci went back to the table and sat back down.

Appy walked into the Cabaret Room, on her way from outside to her room, without noticing anything odd around her. She was deep in tought. For some reason Xaious had just thanked her for giving him a present or something like that, but she was sure she never gave him anything. This needed working out.

For those watching her walk across the room, and those familiar with Appy's appearance, something seemed different. For one, instead of her usual green dress she was wearing tight-fit leather pants and long-sleeved shirt. It looked like one piece and was blood-red. Her face had firmer lines, her hair seemed to have less knots in it. In fact, it seemed that with every moment more came out, straightening itself. Her walk was that of someone in full knowledge of their power and throughout spelled 'determination'.

Zariah, eager to welcom a new guest, walked up to her and hugged tightly "Happy Valentine's Day!" Appy froze till she was let go and watched the crow girl walk away. Luckily for the woman, Appy seemed more puzzled then annoyed.

OH! A small growl vibrated in her throat. Valentine's day, of course.

Sappy people giving eachother gifts in hope for getting something else in return on a day that was as good as any other. Ptraci (whom it really was) let out a sigh. She could guess what had happened. She knew about the games people played and the way Appy's mind worked. No doubt the little twat had thought it exiting even.

Ptraci frowned, standing still in the middle of the room, straight as a broomstick. Little hearts were floating over and through her.

After a few seconds she checked one of her toolbags. She read the name on the little paper.

'Sigh..'

With a look of mild annoyance she walked on. She knew she would give a gift.. so much was known. Who would give it though, was up to her now.

By the time she had reached the door that led deeper into the keep her look had a certain grinning quality.

Edited by Appy

And as Equester went to get some drinks, Sweetcherrie turned to Zariah, "I love your table decoration, where did you get the idea?"

Zariah answered, "Well, the crows honor my friends, but also my heritage. I learned some new things when I went on my journey home last Fall...and, well...it turns out I AM a crow....but I think I'll save the transformation for a different occasion. Enjoy the Party; I have to head over to greet more guests." With that, Zariah ambled back to the door.

Zariah nearly blinked twice before she gasped in delight. After a quick flash small, red floating holographic hearts were floating about and ambient music played in lieu of the band's slow warm-up.

"I'm just so glad things are finally falling into place!" She saw Appy approaching and hugged her at the door. "Happy Valentine's Day!” Zariah exclaimed.

"Hmm.. She seems out of it today...but...oh I better let her go. How embarrassing that I held on so tight? Errr..." With that thought, she let go and quickly walked to the refreshment table to get a drink.

"I actually don't think anyone has realized how much more social I have been lately....but, maybe that's not as weird as I think it is....Oh! My precious book....book...read...red....hearts....oooooh" Zariah's thoughts turned into a hypnotic trance.

Hanna, built in an age long forgotten and best remembered. Said to be a city build for the warrior...Hanna was no walk in the park. It was within these walls that reputations were either created or destoryed. In was in these times that Black heard of a flower filled with an aroma so potent that it was only offered to beings of great status or beauty beyond belief. Legend stated that this flower's location was in a region of Earth that only the brave dared enter and most returned insane...if they returned at all. Black had heard the drunken stories told many times. These fairytales varied with every author, but all seemed to utilize the phrase, "Beyond the Great Swamp." Having learned that Valintine's Day was approaching, Death entered Hanna in hopes of retrieving information on this nameless flower. This, however, wasn't as easy as it sounds.

A city built on warriors, dark and light alike...this was no place for the meek. No, only the strong survived the streets of Hanna. In a city where warlords walked beside kings...the hazards were great and the death toll growing each and every passing day. The civil war had gotten so bad that only one rule remained within the city limits...this rule...is there were no rules! The night was ruled by cut throats, cheats, liars and a few warlords...one of these warlords being the hero of our story, Black. The day on the other hand...was ruled by the forces of the light and all those who both hated and feared the ever growing darkness. Black was soon enlightened that brawls, contests and war were common practices within Hanna's walls. This, unfortunatly, Death learned the hard way. Dressed in a clearly vampiric attire, Black entered the bar with an unwavering confidence. Within the room the Warlord noticed the usual behavior. The crowd had always split into many different and yet ever so similar thought patterns. The first had normally been those who simply didn't care...or were too drunk. These people Death cared very little for, as they tended to make little fuss...the problems were with the other two factions. These factions being the loyalists and protagonists.

Loyalists were those who delved into the dark arts. These people knew the true potential of the shadows and were not afraid to show it. The loyalists, however, could be tricky to deal with...as they were never to be completely trusted. Where it was true that they held a similar element...it also remained so that they held a similar disposition. The weak shall be ruled by the strong. This has been passed on from generation to generation...the only one you could truly trust in Hanna...was yourself. The protaganists on the other had looked upon Black as what he truly had been...a vampire. This along with the fact that Death had been involved with many a war...had earned him much loathing among the light. Gazing over the bar, Black could tell that this was going to be very...entertaining!

Black-"I am in search of the Nameless Flower. If anyone has information on this subject I suggest you come forward."

Paladin-"Or you'll what? I kill your kind for a living, Vampire!"

Assassin-"Watch your mouth, Paladin! I kinda like vamps...they share my fondness for the night."

Black-"I don't think you heard me correctly. I am the Warlord of Death and I demand my due respect!"

Paladin-"A warlord, huh? Now I really hate you!" The Paladin started to stand...only to fall back down to his seat due to a dagger plunging head long into his leg. A nearby assassin claimed responsibility for the action as his face adorned a smirk the size of a crater. This action, however, caused a chain reaction throughout the bar's inhabitants. Due to the fact that half the inhabitants were of the light while the others dark...a bar fight like no other brutally errupted. Black only shook his head.

Black-"They never do it the easy way!" It was at this time that a beer bottle was broken over the head of the Vampire Lord. With beer slowly running down his face and a slight headache from the crack...Death turned his foolish adversaries direction. Pure and utter anger filled the vampire's eyes as he'd developed an exclusive dislike for the beverage's taste and all at once sent the slayer hurdling out a nearby window. The window shattered into a thousand pieces as Death was knocked to the floor by a man weilding a pool stick and was almost stabbed through the heart in the process. Quickly getting to his feet, Black decided to shatter the other window, by tossing the new threat through its very foundation. This battle went on for some time, coming to a conclutson hours later...Death being the last warrior standing...still minus his chosen knowledge...and, may I add, still looking meticulous.

Black-"I simply wanted information on a flower...why is this so difficult?"

Traveling hobbit-"Information doesn't come cheap...as you can clearly see." Black turned to see a wee little man standing before him...not but four feet tall. Death almost laughed at the little man, choosing instead to work out an agreement...one way or another.

Black-"And what kind of price are we looking at?"

Hobit-"That depends...how much you got on ya?"

Black-"How about I allow you to live?" The hobbit only laughed.

Hobit-"Killing me won't get you anywhere."

Black-"It'll sure make me feel better." At this point, the Hobbit grew nervous...this vampire was obviously serious.

Hobit-"Very well! The Nameless Rose lies in patch of soil just beyond the, "Great Swamp"."

Black-"I already know this! I desire the location of this swamp!" The Hobbit laughed once again.

Hobbit-"The Great Swamp is not an actual swamp...it is a building at the far end of Hanna. Within its basement lies a patch of Earth...the patch you desire. I feel I must warn you, however, that most men go mad far before they reach the basement."

Black-"You have earned your life, Little Man. Now be gone before I lose my temper."

Within the blink of an eye the Hobbit vanished...he vanished very mysteriously. Black gave this little thought as be began his trek toward the Great Swamp...all the while feeling as if he was being watched. The city seemed surprisingly empty in this section of town. Where the other sections were bustling...not a soul could be found. It was like this until the vampire reached his destination...an old factory nearly falling apart at the seams. Within the factory, he could hear an evil cackle...a very fiamiliar...evil cackle. Quickly entering the building, Black was welcomed by the Hobbit. This time, however, the terms were different. Death could see the basement door from his very location as the man stepped a side...seemingly allowing him to pass. Not desiring to waste any more time than necessary, Black quickly made his way toward the door...only to be blocked once again. The Hobbit stared at Death strangely as if attempting some great feat, though what this feat had been went unbenownst to Death. Becoming irritated, Black spoke out in a rash manner.

Black-"Look! Either get out of my way or I'll end your miserable existance!"

Hobbit-"..."

Black-"Are you going to say something...or just stand there staring?"

Hobbit-"..." It was about this moment in time when Death became quite perturbed at this maddening situation. Unsheathing his sword, Black plunged the blade directly into the little man's stomach...only to have the figure vanish and reemerge upon his left side. Striking out once again, Black missed his target for a second time...this time resheathing his sword as it had seemed useless. Glancing out a nearby window, Death noticed that the day was passing by quite rapidly and that he'd need to hurry if he was to make it to the ball on time. With this in mind, Black shoved the man aside, opened the door and entered the basement. It was here where he first laid eyes upon the Nameless Rose. Its beauty was beyond compare...as had been its exquisitely sweet scent. The Black Rose glimmered in the sunlight as an evil cackle was heard from behind him.

Black-"Would you please just go away? You are annoying me to no end!"

Hobit-"You have not gone mad? How have you eluded my mind control?"

Black-"I have been mad from the day I was born...you could not turn me because I was already there. Now leave me or I'll slay you where you stand...irritating little Hobbit!" The Hobbit only laughed.

Hobbit-"There are some beings in this world...that not even you can kill...Death." The little man gave a sinister chuckle as he vanished for the last time and left Death to his prize. Potting the Black Rose, Black flew at top speed away from Hanna and toward the ball. It would have appeared that he would be fashionably late once again.

It was noon Quincunx time, and Tzimfemme still wasn't sure how that was so--she was back on Pen territory after a fruitless run out to its border lands and should have been synchronized with the other Pen people, but it was hardly the first thing to go wrong today. Ambience of the day, maybe?

She'd gone whooping and loping along the border lands to celebrate the coming of 50% discounted chocolates, but the ground was all wrong for a bacchanal--slippery and cold, and deceptive with mossy patches in which her legs had sunk to mid-calf. She reached up for a tree branch, thinking to travel like Tarzan, but the thickest white branches bowed back to earth under her weight--and she recognized the landscape. Blood and bones! The crack between the worlds had dumped her into Rydia's dreamworld, Starlight's land! Tzimfemme gritted her teeth, turned around, and cantered at an uneven pace through the loam--breaking twigs and streaking herself with chilled mud--and returned to the crack which hung in midair, four streaky silver arms radiating from a central point ("Tetrahedron," she reminded herself: this was server-side boss's land). "Bloody Rydia, can't she handle her own dreamscapes," she muttered, and strode into the flaw.

This new land wasn't Pen either but it was good enough. Tzimfemme unbound her hair and took off, outrunning her anger on the foothills. Clumps of red clay cut into her feet and crumbling bone-white stones rattled down the slopes, crashing through oak leaves, leaving flecks of Tzimfemme's blood. She ignored her wounds--the slick clay gave nothing for free, not even traction. Hell, you could scoop it up and make an idol of the devil Orcennrasa (bloody kabbalah, that was Rosemary's department, why was she getting everyone else's baggage), and you'd have to pay a sin eater to take it away. No trace of copper in the dirt either, definitely the wrong foothills. All at once Tzimfemme recognized the foothills, and what duty (pleasure) (duty) would bring her to parade here on Valentine's Day, and she halted so quickly her rump skidded on the ground, then turned and raced back to the flaw for another try at reality--too late.

Outside of the Conservatory, a short-furred slender silver hound, with human proportions, howled at the walls out of a human face. Her hair fell down, still wavy and brown, past her hackles and denied anyone politely calling her a pooka. Two requirements were on Tzimfemme's mind: getting out of this mistaken form before Orlan saw her, and getting the clay out from between her toes before the houndmaster called. She lifted a forepaw to her mouth but, scowling at the instinct, put it down again. Her tail switched against the grass as she watched the steady trickle of people into the hall.

The lighting of the room had suddenly changed, Pilocanci came back to the table, and sat down next to her again.

"Did you do this?" Sweetcherrie asked with admiration.

"Yes, do you like it?"

"Ooh very much," Sweetcherrie nodded, "would you like something from the buffet? I heard Zariah has hired some excellent caterers."

Pilocanci nodded, and she darted of to the buffet, holding two plates in her hand.

There was so much to chose from, some of the dishes looked hardly familiar to her, and others looked deliciously exotic.

She placed a little bit of everything on the plates, and walked back to the table.

"I wonder where they have all the recipes from,"she mumbled as she tried a piece of something that looked like a chocolate strawberry, "Hmm, the taste of this is simply splendid. I wish I could make this sort of things but I have two left hands when it comes to cooking. I love reading though, I must have read at least a dozen cookbooks." she grinned as she said it.

Edited by Sweetcherrie

Wyvern carelessly ruffles the front of his Almost Dragonic Brand Hunting Coat/Tuxedo™ as he approaches the entrance of the Valentine's Day Ball, creating a tear in the "delicate" (key word: cheap) fabric of his shirt as he rubs a claw against it. Cursing to himself, Wyvern casts a brief glance to the outskirts of the Conservatory as he gently shoves Equester inside, noticing the mishapen form of Tzimfemme and mistaking her for Tanuchan with a brown wig and her hair dyed silver. Grinning and casually waving to her, the lizard steps into the Conservatory without remarking her odd form, evoking a brief sigh of relief from Tzim as the possibility of blackmail is extinguished.

Wyvern passes by Black as he makes his way into the well-decorated ballroom, his tail swinging to the band's warm-up riffs and his beady eyes wandering to the gorgeous flower that the vampire carries. Clearing his throat of a few ashes, the lizard pauses and taps Black on the shoulder, causing him to turn in startled manner.

"Heya Black, great to see you here. Listen, I was wondering, I'm looking for a boutoniere and-"

The reptilian Elder stops speaking as Black seems to turn a denser shade of pale, quickly hiding his Unnamed Flower from Wyvern and moving away from the lizard's area. Wyvern lets out a snort upon seeing this, then shakes his scaly head and turns to Zariah's table, wandering towards her and hissing:

"Hi Zariah, nice lil' fling you got going on here. Say, have you caught Annael around by any chance?"

Zariah frowns slightly and shakes her head, then smiles to the lizard and waves a hand towards the buffet.

"Nice to see you Wyv, feel free to help yourself to some food. Just, uhhh, just remember that 'some' is emphasized here, O.K?"

Wyvern rubs his scaly claws together and licks his lips with his forked tongue, still savouring the taste of Wrenwind's kiss but ready to indulge in other tasty treats. As he examines the area of the buffet from his position, he notices an enormous metallic object propped against the wall, and curiously hisses:

"Sssay, Zariah, what's that thing near the wall over there."

Zariah glances in the direction that Wyvern is staring, then smirks and shrugs.

"I'm not sure, I think that's the gift that Sweetcherrie got Pilocanci for Valentines Day. A weapon or something..."

Wyvern frowns deeply upon hearing the word "weapon," silently cursing to himself as he takes out a large box from within his tuxedo and sets it on the table. The pictures of two menacing-looking metal knives are painted on the cover, tagged with the words "Butterfly Knives" along with the phrase "Cheap Expensive!!!"

"My present to Annael" explains Wyvern, noticing Zariah's staring at the box in confusion. "Will probably lose some of its effect in light of Sweetcherries more formidable gift, but check it out."

The overgrown lizard lifts open the lid of the box, only to reveal a huge number of wooden toothpicks where knives would technically belong. As Wyvern opens his mouth to explain the significance of the contents, a swarm of butterflies flutters into the room by way of the open crack of a window. Circling around the box, the butterflies begin pulling one toothpick out of it each, and then immediately turn to poking Wyvern with them. As the overgrown lizard is surrounded by poking butterflies, he screams:

"Happy -ow- Happy Valen- OW, ack! Happy Valentine's -ow ow ow- to Annael -YOW!- my Secret -argh!- Valenttaaaiiiiiieeee-!"

A cloud of smoke suddenly appears in the middle of the room, and out from it steps a grinning Loki Wyrd with parchment in hand. Dress not being all that important to him, when the other look his way, they can't seem to make out a whole lot of detail save for a black flowing cape. There is an inchoate quality about him that takes some getting used to. He surveys the ball, then having found what he was looking for, begins his approach. First walking casually, he soon drops the pretense and breaks into a sprint. He dives and lands on Slip 'n Slide (people think, "Was that just there?"); his momentum carries him forward for the length of it and then he splashes into a giant punch bowl.

Collecting himself, he climbs out of the punch bowl and shakes like a wet dog. Somehow this seems to completely dry him off. He still holds his parchment in hand, and he scratches his head trying to think of what he was supposed to do with it. First he wrings it out, then places it in his pocket for safekeeping. Digging through his pockets a bit, he proceeds to extract two Big Gulp cups from them. He then fills them up with punch. Loki decides to chug his down, and wipes mouth with the back of his hand. Placing the cup back in his pocket, he puts on his serious, "all business" face.

Crossing the room, Loki walks intently towards...(a certainly present, though I must have drawn her out of time)...purple_shadows. When she realizes what this means, she tries to act as if she doesn't see him, but to no avail--he continues on. With a flourish of his cape, he bows deeply, nearly losing balance. After straightening himself, he hands her the remaining Big Gulp and starts digging in his pocket.

"This is for you, oh Secretest of Valentines," Loki says nervously as he pulls out the parchment and hands it to her. Without a moment's hesitation, he begins to run away.

"He must be painfully shy," purple_shadows thinks to herself as she looks down at the parchment. Scrawled at the top, it reads:

I had written a poem I had intended to present earlier, but I somehow managed to misplace it (too many pockets?). If I ever find it, you'll be the first to know...other than me, I would imagine. May this keep you until that time...

Adorned in stained glass

As fragile as emotion

Illumined creation

Drawn out of time

And set into motion

With a baroque fascination

That defies the mind

To see all your contrasts--

Keeping one guessing

Your next line of rhyme

This message will self-destruct in 10...9...8...7...

(OOC: I don't typically roleplay, I hope I didn't make a mess of it.)

Edited by Loki Wyrd

Black chuckled as the almost dragons antics unfolded and gave a grin his direction before beginning his search for his Secret Valentine. This was partially do to the fact that a certain almost dragon may attempt to weasel him our of prize yet again. By this time the ball had obtained quite a number of guests...making it difficult to locate his valentine...none the less...he did.

Sweetcherrie was a sight to behold in her exquiste attire...the only problem remaining...she seemed to be on a date. Upon entering the ball room Black remembered some kind of shinny new weapon...a weapon that looked to be somewhat more developed than his sword. Deciding it worth the risk, Black approached Sweetcherrie and gave a bow.

Black-"M'lady, I dare not interrupt your date, but I have a gift for you from a distant land and as your Secret Valentine I am honor bound to see that you recieve it." Black revealed a rose of exquiste beauty and a sent to match.

Black-"This flower is known only by the name of, "The Nameless Rose" and is only given to those of great stature and/or beauty. I'd say you more then qualify, M'lady. A rose for a rose?" Black offered the gift to Sweetcherrie knowning Pilocanci was ever so close by, counting on the fact that he could vanish into the back ground at a moments notice.

Just as Tanny and Venefyxatu are heading for the buffet Wyvern enters the room. Seeing that the latter will be occupied for a few moments before heading for the food, they decide not to rush. With a wave to Black, Venefyxatu continues explaining that Nether magic is not as evil as it is thought to be, even though it is often used for evil purposes.

As they get back to their seats, there is a momentary lapse in the conversation. Venefyxatu uses this to produce a small present from one of the hidden pockets in his robes and slide it over the table towards Tanny.

"I have something for you. I came across it a long time ago, on Terra, and although I know I've never seen it in any of my incarnations, it seems familiar somehow."

Tanny blushes slightly, accepting it. "Thank you... though I hope you know that having your company for the Ball was a gift in itself."

The Nether mage arches an eyebrow, a bit surprised by her words. "I have to confess that it's not very common for... humans... to enjoy the company of an undead..."

"Maybe because I'm not exactly human myself?" She grins, and there's a glint of amusement in her eyes. "And besides... being undead doesn't mean heartless."

While he ponders at the meaning of her last sentence, Tanny turns her attention to the package in her hands.

As is so typical with presents, from the shape it is not so hard to tell what's inside. Indeed, as Tanny removes the wrapping paper, a book is revealed, looking very old but rather well-preserved. Its leather cover has grown hard with age and maybe magic, its thick pages, yellow with age, are stiff and crackle when turned. Apparently, the cover once held a title but age has made it fade away into nothing. And yet, from the way no dust comes off of it and the precise manner in which the pages do not crumble when touched it is obvious that this book was taken good care of. The text on the pages is still legible, at least as far as the handwriting allows, the black ink restored where it has faded.

"It's... precious..." Tanny murmurs in almost reverence, caressing very lightly the pages as she turns them carefully.

"I hope you like mysteries ... I have the feeling that there's a spirit connected to this book somehow, but for all my skills I was unable to learn anything about or from it. I think there are more stories involved with this book than just the one inside it ..."

Tanny snaps out of her reverie, pushing away an urge to shake herself. "Yes... I would say so..."

She grounds herself, seeking the pulse of earth below her, and delicately reaches out to the book - the leather covering, the yellowed pages... all coming from nature whether in this plane or another. Venefyxatu senses the use of energy, and, although he's curious, manages not to reach out to it to gain more information. From what he can feel there's some Verdancy magic in there, although not quite the same as what he would've felt from another Archmage.

"Human... and something else I don't recognize..." she whispers, again in a half-trance. "But someone who cared for this book strongly enough to pour his inner energy into it... "

Venefyxatu blinks, the only sign of his surprise.

And here I was, thinking that my Secret Valentine assignment was... a common one... she surprises me. She is definitely no Archmage, but she is a lot closer to it than a mere shapechanger. Good thing, though, for an Archmage probably would've tried to eradicate him by now - Verdants were ... not that fond of Nether mages, to put it delicately. And she didn't even seem to mind ...

After staring at the book for a few more moments, captivated by ... something about it, Tanny turns to Venefyxatu and smiles.

"Yes, I think I can feel there's more to this book as well. Thank you, Venefyxatu... I'll definitely enjoy this, and I will take good care of the book."

She sets the book aside a little bit so it won't risk being spilled on. After eating and talking some more, Tanny starts looking at the door with more frequency, sometimes frowning a little bit.

"Missing someone, Tanuchan? Maybe your Secret Valentine?"

"Yes... sorry, Venefyxatu. And call me Tanny, please." She smiles again, apologetic. "I sent my Valentine a small something this morning, and I guess I'm wondering if she has appreciated that. But I'm sure she will arrive soon."

"Maybe you would like to look for her? Who knows, she may be out, or in the garden... "

"Would you come with me? I like your company, and I'm sure that Ayshela would enjoy meeting you also."

"I would be glad to join you... if you really don't mind."

With a grin, Tanny got up and started heading for the door.

"Of course not!"

Edited by Venefyxatu

"- and then they go fighting with these Affenpinschers. Honestly you should read it, it is a really good book." Sweetcherrie and Pilocanci had been talking about books, and he was describing some scenes from a fantasy novel he had recently read. So far she was having a marvelous date, in fact Pilocanci's only short coming was not being human, though that wasn't such a big deal to him.This was to be a friendly date, not a romantic one.

In the corner of her eye Sweetcherrie saw a dark figure approaching her, he bowed and revealed a rose, so beautiful that it took her breath away. The scent overpowered her and she looked at the rose as if she was enchanted by it.

"Ahem," Pilocanci cleared his throat, and with that he took her back to the present, and she glanced from the rose to the Sharpein next to her.

The sight of the rose had made her forget all but the delicate flower. Her face felt burning hot, and she knew she must be blushing from the two pairs off eyes now aimed in her direction. She looked from Pilocanci to the rose to Black, and back to Pilocanci again. It was an akward situation and for a moment she didn't know what to do.

Pilocanci sat calmly as Black presented his present. Sweet Cherrie raised an eyebrow at him, wondering why he hadn't pull a weapon or turn black into a flea. activating his commlink, he simply said,"Containment Alpha 726." As he said this, a magic-dampening field enveloped the conservatory. Black, sensing something wrong, and tried to disappear...and tried agian to no avail. Others began to notice that the usual enchantments that they had fail. The Dictator got up from his chair and walked over to Black. Though only the size of a large raccoon, Pilocanci was feared for his cruel nature and the backing of a highly advanced technological society. "It seems to me," Pilocanci began after turning on his voice translator so that all could understand," that we have a slight situation here. Sweet Cherrie has two secret Valentines. It wouldn't be so bad if you had simply waited to act after our date was over or ask to speak to Sweet Cherrie alone and then present her present outside of my presence. Instead, you came right on over and try to whisk her away. I admire your courage, but shake my head sadly at your lack of common sense and lack of tact. What you just did was incredibily rude and will not go unpunished." Pilocanci paused as the rest of the party goers watched nerviously, waiting and wondering what he would do. Pilocanci looked over at Sweet Cherrie and his mind softened. Turning back to Black, he said,"Today is your lucky day. In respect to Zariah and the others, I will spare you. If I wished you destoryed, I could simply have the dampening field set to full power. this would completely rob you of your magical essence, leaving you nothing but a pile of dust and bones on the floor."

"How so," Black asked.

"Well, in order for a vampire, or any undead creature for that matter, to exist, they require not only 'life energy' but a lot of necromatic energy to exist. I can set the transmitter to discorperate a specific band of energy, causing all necromatic energy to seperate and neutralize into harmless ambient energy. My advice to you is to turn around and leave now."

With a look of anger, Black turned and walked out of the door. Pilocanci smiled at Sweet Cherrie," Now, what were you saying before we were so rudely interrupted?"

Sweetcherrie looked from one to the other, for a moment she felt that it could go horribly wrong, and it did.

Pilocanci told Black to leave, and because Black had no other choice, he left.

Sweetcherrie stood up and faced Pilocanci, "That was unnecessary and rude, and to think that I was just starting to like you! This was supposed to be a friendly ball, with people having a good time, and you turn this into something totally unfriendly. Did you ever stop to think that he has feelings too? I understand that he wasn't being too tactfull, but to do this...."

She turned around and followed Black out of the room, mumbling to herself, "Bunch of idiots fighting over me." This thought was actually flattering, but if it meant that now three people were unhappy, she didn't want it.

Pilocanci had been bluffed by her outburst and she had left so suddenly, that he only now realised what had happened. He looked around and saw people stare at him and the empty spot where Sweetcherrie had been only moments before.

Angrily he got up and followed Sweetcherrie towards the door.When he had left the room, the crowd broke out in whispers.

Meanwhile Sweetcherrie had managed to catch up with Black, still puffing she stopped him from walking away, and stood widelegged in front of him.

"I think that you should come back to the ball, I've told Pilocanci how I feel about his way of acting, and-"

Midesentence, she saw the Sharpein appoaching behind them, he looked even angrier then before.

"Uh, oh" Black turned around to face Pilocanci, but Sweetcherrie stepped in front of him, shielding Black with her own body.

"Now Pilocanci, you now darn well that I hate situations like this, but whatever went wrong shouldn't stop either of us from having a good time at this ball." She had forgotten the fear she had felt before, and was now standing up for her principles.

Edited by Sweetcherrie

"I came out here to apologise to both you and Black," Pilocanci explained. "It was wrong of me to do that. I just don't get many oppertunities to get out and enjoy myself with others often. I just wanted tonight to go well. When you spung out of the shadows like some seductive super villian, I lost it a bit. Sweet Cherrie is rght, tonight is meant to be a happy one." Pilocanci extended his paw to Black," Truce?" Black look suspeciuosly before taking and shaking it.

Black looked from Pilocanci to Sweetcherrie and back again. It had also been true that Black didn't get out much either...being a former Warlord and all. Tucking the flower away for the moment, Black accepted the truce.

Black-"I apologies for any misdeed I may have done. I may have lived for 4,509 years, but never really got out much in that time. However, I would like to train with you some time, Pilocanci...in a friendly match ofcourse. I pride myself on my combat ability and am always up for a challenge." Turning back to Sweetcherrie, Black continued.

Black-"Perhaps later, M'lady?" Shapeshifting into the form of a bat (That's not magic) Black flew off the Balls direction at top speed.