The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Halloween Party and Werewolf Game

Tanuchan

Would you participate in the party and/or werewolf game, as described below?  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Dude! I'm away for a coupla days and a whole lot takes place. Sheesh! There has been so much new posting that I can't even read it now as I should be in bed already. Working LOTS of overtime at the moment, which kinda kills the puter time but hte ol' wallet sure loves it! :D

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be glad to write in if the party needs me, however I'm a little less-than-entirely up to date about what's going on. I spent some time reading through things, this evening, but I never was able to figure out what Yui's been up to since helping Celes look for that book in the haunted house's library. Did I miss her getting 'pranked' or moved or anything? Would anyone like to suggest a plausible explanation for what she's been up to, if not? :)

Also, there seem to be a lot of suggestions throughout the story about there being a history and mystery surrounding the house itself. Has anyone figured out who this 'mischievous spirit' is or what its story might be? That could be a key to enabling your characters to deal with it without a Holy mage's intervention...

Just thinking and wondering,

~Yui

Actually I think what happened was that everyone who was actively in the game got either pranked out or exposed as a wolf.

So when the last wolf was found the freeing of the character left us with a confined evil spirit.

So we never in the context of the game found out anything about the spirit it's self, nor the history of the haunted house, and now we've got a couple of people struggling to hold the curse spirit in check so it doesn't take someone else over.

Once that'd happened it kind of evolved into a bit of a free-for-all in which we decided that breaking this curse once and for all by destroying it's spirit was a good plan.

Cryptomancer provided the spirit so he might be able to enlighten us more.

That's exactly what happened... :P

About Yui and the other 'cannon foddeers', it was Katzaniel's plan to be working with them and having them pranked as the co-moderator of the game. Unfortunately, RL got hold of her and he wasn't able to keep with her plans... :( And as I had also some trouble, I could barely write enough of the game modding posts, and no chance at all to think about the NPCs.

My suggestion, Yui, is that you could have been investigating the house/library since entering the house and being aware of the cursed nature of the place. I see you as being in the background all the time, but at different places from the active players until Tanny brought you all together to deal with the Spirit of the Curse.

I have no idea what that one is, by the way... when Crypt came up with that idea, I asked him to take care of that impersonation and the book. So... guess we'll have to work with him to see what's happening, after all.

'Shela, honey... what Gryph said is true: we aren't doing anything IC, just struggling to hold that malevolent 'thingie' there :P. By coincidence, the ones discussing OOC what to do to deal with that were the ones whose best skills are in magic! So, if the fighters of the group have any idea at all, please do come in and add your posts! You know your characters best of all, so I'm sure you'll have ideas on how to help... as Gryph, at the moment I don't have any ideas, so Tanny's just busy holding the shields (and avoiding get involved in a hand-to-hand fight... lol... )

The thread is open to anyone who wishes to post, really -- even those who weren't at the game/party. Just be sure to use your Pen characters and provide a plausible explanation for your presence there... please post here or PM either myself or Gryph about that if you're in doubt. (Gryph, I'm electing you as co-mod for this part... ;))

I'll let the thread/story open until we solve the Spirit situation. I have some ideas to wrap it up, but I need some time to organize them.

*hugs all*

~Tanny

Incidently I believe that some of you, Vahktang?, may be operating under the notion that the spirit is currently possessing someone.

The thing that Tanny is holding under shield - probably an ever weakening shield too by the way - is actually just the spirit of the curse its self. Cryptomancer, or possibly his shadow, managed to drive the curse out into the open.

If I'm reading what Vahktang's amulet does properly then he'll need to either put it on someone already possessed, or someone willing to go into hand to hand with it, risk possession in order to hope that the amulet will absorb the Spirit of the Curse.

Going into hand to hand could be tricky as it's incorporeal, but it can be done. It'll also mean Tanny needs to drop her shielding unless it doesn't protect against a physical intrusion from one of those present.

Gnarlitch, I like your armour...

Presumably you've got some way of hitting incoporeal things?

We might have a solution to hand, protect you from possession with Vahktang's amulet, build a shield that encloses you and the Curse's Spirt and then drop the shield containing it... and watch the blades/warhamers/axe fly.

Does anyone have any other ideas? Gnarlitch, have I assumed too much about your intentions?

Both shields would be of different nature... I don't think Tanny can handle that. You see... the Spirit is incorporeal, so the shield is basically confining its energy in another 'plane', so that it can't interact with us. A shield to protect people weaves earth/water flow around one person so that it can't be hit by other kinds of energy, including magic. To specifically shift the shield so that it holds everyone else except Itchy is just too much for her. She protects one person, probably two (with weaker barriers). Certainly not all of them; if there's a *huge* amount of energy she can channel she can shield more people, though.

So, while Tanny's shield can give protection against magic to anyone who decides to go hand-in-hand with the Spirit, it won't protect the others. Also, her shields are not meant to protect against physical attacks. She can work in other ways to help the combat (giving endurance is one of them) but, without a good, clean source of energy she's completely familiar with, she can't both hold shields and feed endurance into another.

As for fighting... well, please does anyone know how to fight Undead that are at least partially incorporeal? :P 'Shela? Merelas? Yui?

EDIT:

I remembered one thing... an incorporeal being can't interact physically with the material plane; to be able to do so, it must become corporeal, right? (Basic DnD rules). And while corporeal, it can be hit as any of us.

So... I think I can write the Spirit taking corporeal form to escape from Tanny's shielding... I just have to work out one detail, but she could try to shield his access to the other plane so he can't just alternated corporeal/incorporeal forms. Locked into the material plane, he's a target to any kind of attack... magical or hand-to-hand.

Does that solve our problem? *grin*

At the very end, I think Yui or anyone with the power to, could banish it so the curse is removed and the House, cleansed ;)

Edited by Tanuchan

Well... I got the Spirit into the material plane. I see it now as a powerful Undead that can actually be affected by either physical combat or spells. In other words, anyone there can attack and help.

Tanny will be trying to keep the shield. She can't do it for long, though - the strain of controling three energy flows (air, fire, mana) completely different from those she uses (earth/water) is steadily draining her. She will collapse sooner or later.

Have fun! :D

Incidently I believe that some of you, Vahktang?, may be operating under the notion that the spirit is currently possessing someone.

Yep, that was me.

The ignorant guy with no magic skills or experience trying to do the best I can.

Hope it doesn't kill anyone.

:)

an incorporeal being can't interact physically with the material plane; to be able to do so, it must become corporeal, right? (Basic DnD rules).

Ah, the idea that 'if it can hit me, I can hit it'.

But an experienced or powerful creature can become partially incorpereal. The parts that hit you are corporeal, the parts that you try to hit aren't.

:(

Ah, the idea that 'if it can hit me, I can hit it'.

But an experienced or powerful creature can become partially incorpereal. The parts that hit you are corporeal, the parts that you try to hit aren't.

Fortunately we've got a Tanny... who correctly theorised that it would have to become (however temporarily) fully coporeal to deal with an artifact such as your amulet, and then she cut it off from going back to whatever parallel plain incoporeal creatures inhabit...

Let's go get it. :)

I thought I'd step in just to give you a little extra edge against an Undead creature. Enjoy the battle. I'll just be making sure no one gets hurt too badly from the sidelines. We old-timers have to let the young'uns have the fun, sometimes, too. ;)

Great job at coming up with a solution you all could handle, by the way. It's good to be innovative in a story. :)

Thanks!

~Yui

I'm really sorry for being inactive guys :(

I just totally blanked out on remembereing to come and post :(

Sorry all :(

*hugs*

Don't worry, Nave... we sure understand :)

Hope RL hasn't been too hard on you. Come back when you can, we'll be always here waiting for you! :flower:

And, of course... if you have the time, post at the thread! Papa Smurf may have some fun with the Spirit of the Curse ;)

~Tanny

Edited by Tanuchan

oh gods, guys.. use 'shela wherever you need a bit of bladework, but i'm not going to be able to post on my own behalf. i've literally been conscious almost twelve hours of the last fourty eight or so and been sick enough my thirteen year old is sternly sending me back to bed as soon as i take my meds.

i'm sorry.

Out of curiousity, has anyone been keeping track of the whereabouts of everyone who came down into the haunted house?

If we're going to have to do search and rescue as well as transporting the survivors/hurt out of here we should probably know about it now rather than later. :)

I'm just hoping that we've not had everyone who's been tracking people's movements just pass out on us.

*hugs Ayshela*

Be well, dear friend :)

~~~~

Well, back to the RP... I guess you'll have to deal with two unconscious people if there's anything else to do ;). Tanny won't recover conscience easily, and will probably need a certain amount of Healing. Backlashes are nasty... :P

I think now it's for Cryp to work out the release of the Curse... did the spirit "die" or was simply banished, cut forever (forever?) from this plane? Does it affect the book?

Yui, it was a really nice post of yours, there... feel free to take care of the cleansing if you feel like doing it ;)

And to everybody else, please be free to complete your reactions... I'll wait at the least for both Cryp's and eventually Yui's posts before closing the story.

Ah, Ayshela... in case you come back in time, my post gave a hint of you also hitting the spirit together with Merelas.

~Tanny

EDIT:

Answering Gryph...

Well, I know Ayshela was the one really worried about the whereabouts of people... Tanny would probably know but...

What I do know is:

* battling the Spirit => Tanny, Gryph, Itchy, Vahk, Merelas, Ayshela (well, I put her there in the beginning... :P), Celes, Yui

* in shadow form, recovering the book => Cryp

* supposedly unconscious during the battle => Gwaihir

* MIA => Finnius (disappeared when 'lynched'), Katz (well, I didn't write her anywhere, I think... )

* inactive at the end of the game part, but alive => Nave, Leif, and the other cannon fodders (well, put them still around the house, but no need to worry a lot about them).

Edited by Tanuchan

Yui will have kept careful track of Aegon (at the least). Let's say he's gotten himself lost in the basement? Maybe he was out looking for the ones who disappeared. (Unless I missed a reference to something more specific that happened to him earlier. >_

Just thinking aloud,

~Yui

PS: I hadn't planned on butting in with another post, but if anyone wants to cover the healing angle, Yui has a sung spell called 'Platinum Hand of Healing' that can mend wounds for the group. It's not terribly powerful, but it will ease aches and pains and stop bleeding. It can't reenvigorate Tanuchan or Merelas, though. If someone can get Chrissania's spirit to cooperate, Merelas' jewel might be able to get at least the half fire-elf back on his wobbly feet.