The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Carnival Event - Alliteration Exercise

Ayshela

Lest you all think the carnival is over, there are events yet to come and another auction as well so gather your geld while you may! :)

Alliteration is a common tool of poetry, but often used in prose and storywriting as well. It is, very simply, two or more words beginning with the same consonant which are next to or at a very short distance from each other.

Letters by lamplight are lovely to read,

teasing and tempting the heart to concede.

or

Merry Mistress Martinson was dancing daintily in the kitchen with her Christopher that coldest Christmas Eve.

Some consonants are easier than others, but any can be used successfully.

For the purposes of this exercise, and to encourage you all to have some fun with it, you have a couple challenges. A successful participation post here will consist of one sentence with an alliteration of at least three words. This will earn you five geld, and can be done twice, for geld.

Additionally, for those who want further challenge, you can earn fifteen geld by writing three sentences which include four alliterations.

These can be done in separate posts at separate times or all at once, whichever you prefer.

Have fun! :)

What wonderful, whimsical writing this is,

So silibilant, silly, and sensational, this,

It's merry and mirthful, more and I'd miss!

Basically, baby, I'm beat,

But freely and furiously, still on my feet.

Was that about right?

A wolf works, wondering within

Trying too hard to find finicky phrases...

Thinking - thunderous thoughts of thrilling challenge,

And how telling, tempting, temerary and tempestuous can be

To discharge the challenge of chasing choking words

To have at least literally lousy, lazy lines

That could be called, contemptuously by some

Alliteration of sorts, silliness for sure

Foolish maybe, hopefully fit, but fun anyways.

*breathes*

Wow... I must be crazy :P

Did I get them, or at least part of them, right?

*leaves the room looking for some aspirin*

~~~~~~

Edit: I worked a bit on this idea, and the final result is posted below :)

Edited by Tanuchan

Fighting the fear of fear itself,

Sending emotions to sit on a shelf.

Hiding your heart is hard to do,

But well worth the work it requires of you.

(those were the sentences with 3 alliterations)

Try to find the time to take a break--

Being busy means business is booming they say

While waiting will leave wounds in your wake.

Prioritize time, but put plenty of play in your day!

(those were the sentences with four alliterations)

I hope I did them right!

Lady luck loosened lintels, forcing them to fall,

Furrowing a fissure, from within the earthen wall.

Landing lightly on lock and knob, breaking open a dainty door,

Letting little kitten lightly stalk the threshold floor.

Born beyond beginnings birth,

Boundaries brought by banished thought.

Lonely longings deserted,

By localized love enchanted, crying

Kisses keeping certain quests conquered.

Beach blonde babe bathing in briny bay,

Bikini baring body, barely bothering

To contain certain curves covered by caressing waves.

:raven:

Edited by cryptomancer

Ode to communication,

Or

Why our wonderfully wonky Wyvern stammers... stutters... I mean SPEAKS when wan and weary,

Or

Internally digressing dialogue described in detail and degree.

Hello all you listeners out there, loaded... looting... LISTENING to this exploring wallets... exploitation... EXPLANATION of shiny... silvery... sincerity and certainty on the subject of grabbing... greed... grasping... getting golden GELD.

Please hand over your wallets... open your pockets purses lockets shoes? bear with me as I take you for a sucker... for all you're worth... to feed to Melba... on an odyssey of vim, vigor, and vinegar? Vines... Wines... drunks donate with willing hands to helpful smiling shucksters! FOCUS! um... travel in the mind.

Today's journey will stimulate your geld to my purse your minds to envision new and exciting ways to feed me vistas and views in the arena of Pennite Chocolate Wrestling...

Guest Kunax

Alliteration, does that that include strings of word all starting with the same letter or does that have another name?

eg. Fat flying fish fly from flaming forests.

Fish finds food deep down in the dark ocean

time tramples tomatos from tuesdays until friday,

where free fried fries are fabricated, from fat flying fish flying forth from flaming forests(damn fish, they keep coming back) until sunday where smiling smilies smear every surface of the free fried fries factory.

*OOC: k is not use a lot as first letter*

*OOC: does it have to make sence :)|

*bemused smiles*

y'all are wonderful, y'know that?

Alliteration is *defined* as "strings of words all starting with the same letter" though it need not be a long string and it helps if they make sense..

though for this exercise i allow a fair amount of leeway just to get y'all thinking along this line. The more tools you have in your writer's toolbox, the better off you are. :)

Guest Kunax

lol Gwaihir i liked those

commuting camels commenly crave cliff climming

sinking ships sails submerged silently submitted

wolfs wail wildly while whering wicked... underWear :(

must murder mass mailling morons

kalis keen knife keeps kindly killing knightly kites (cheated, dictionary)

I think we do need to note that although, for example, "giraffe" and "guess" and "gnat" appear alliterative, they are not. Usually a common starting letter means alliteration but to be even more effective they will also sound the same.

ie) "jeering giraffe" or "knitting gnats into knickers" work well enough.

I will come up with an official entry later, and probably edit it into this post.

Edit: PS. Peredhil, that was fantastic!

Edited by Katzaniel

Guest Kunax

why is "giraffe and guess and gnat" not a Alliteration?, except for the fact that it sound and look bad its 3 words all starting with the same letter.

giraffes glued to gnats gnaws at gullible guldfish

Edited by Kunax

Alliteration is nearly all about sound - it's a figure of speech which is strongest when said.

That's one reason I threw in "Sincerity" and "Certainty", to illustrate that point. They start and end with the similar sounds - it's pleasing to the ear when spoken. Plus they have the same number of syllables when sounding off the tongue.

I usually double-check my works by reading them back to myself - often backward so I can ensure I'm reading what is there instead of what I intended. That checks the flow, the foot, the meter, etc.

so Giraffe (Jir - ahff), Guess (guh#ess), and Gnat (Naht) have different start sounds (particularly "gnat"). (dash(-) to separate syllables, pound(#)to indicate one syllable but emphasize the sound the "g" makes.)

Peredhil's two-cents

The 9.2.5

Where once words would have wakened me, now nothing knows the way.

A victim of vacuity, I freefall through the day.

Must check the many messages, just skim and skip and sort.

Must nod at what the Big Boss says; restrain that rash retort.

Each person passing past my door should see me hard at work.

Each task I take just tempts me more to claim a nap as 'perk'.

My heavy head is hanging here, refusing basic thought,

but management has made it clear - I'll stay here 'till I rot. :pinch:

Just a little bit of alliterative fun. ;)

Granted! Grippling gratitude is hardly hastily harvested in anyone's heart today. Therefore, thriving tremendously for a single simple solution is no easily attained today. However, hovering for the how is the key! See the sincere scenery; Armand who amorously show his amore to his dashinly dazzling damzel only to be dishonorably dismissed in disshelvement. Ingrate this intriguing ingornant is? Perhaps.

Phew... that was a rough excercise. :blink:

OOC: Given the number of posts since I left, I won't just edit this in.

The crispy-clean carnival contest and creator were waiting, worrying, wondering whether pun-loving participants might play. Ayshela assured ashen self-doubts that despite dire and dreadful distress, the booth would be the best of the bunch. The waiting was not too woefully wearying, for fewer than forty minutes had flown when the first, Finnius, allocated his allotment of alliterative eloquence to the elaborate ultimatum.

OOC2: Ayshela, I'm not sure exactly what you mean by four alliterations (In total? Per sentence? Does four alliterations mean four strings of different letters or four words of the same letter?) If you mean four strings of words in each of the three sentences, then this'll have to count for the first challenge.

OOC3: Kunax, I believe your question has been sufficiently answered by Peredhil? I'm not sure that Ayshela meant that we had to follow the "sound" rule, but generally alliterations are determined by whether the start sounds the same. Another example of where my definition alters from Ayshela's original one is that I would consider the strings in the above sentence of "Ayshela assured..." and "...alliterative eloquence..." to be alliterations even though they don't start with consonants at all.

*sigh*

doing this through a nauseating migraine, so please forgive any incoherence or brusqueness.

Yes, alliteration is based upon sound, so where two letters have the same sound you can slide that in.. where a letter has different sounds you need to be very careful because the point is the flow of sound and aid to memory of the repetition of sound. A point can be made for repetitious vowel sounds, however in every *modern* definition of alliteration it is specified consonants.

The 15 geld challenge exercise is to include alliteration as in the first exercise - at least three words per set - FOUR sets within THREE sentences, so one sentence will contain two sets, or if you decide to be really tricksy, one set can span from one sentence to another.

Well, I decided to work a bit on my first attempt above, and this is the final result. ^_^

A wolf works, wondering within,

Fighting to find finicky phrases

Solitary sounds superbly stubborn

Rise and fall, angrily avoiding

A glorious gathering in gleeful groups.

Thinking - thunderous thoughts on a thrilling theme

Chasing - chokingly challenging choice sounds

The wolf starts, stops, stretches and stomps

Reflecting madly, musing on the matter.

How telling, tempting, temerary, tempestuous can be

Working to have at last literally lousy, lazy lines

That could be called, contemptuously by critics,

Alliteration of sorts, silliness for sure

Foolish maybe, hopefully fit, but fun anyways.

~Tanny

Edited by Tanuchan