The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

A Play? Starring The Pen?

Hustling into the Cabaret room, Stick is barely noticeable in his current attire. He is wearing a puffy white shirt that seems to explode at the wrists in lace and frill. His shirt tucks neatly into a pair of horribly tight brown and green-striped pants that fluff out around his ankles then tuck back into his unnecessarily shined black leather boots. His eyes are covered by some odd tinted glasses and he's topped off with some sort of flamboyant beret of a silky material. In a hurry, he pins a note onto the wall outside of the drama studio, which most people know as one of the Cabaret Room's many side-halls. It simply says: AUDITIONS in big, poorly scrawled letters. At that point, a newer Penner who happens to have been in the room at the time notices Stick.

"Auditions, eh? Whatever for?"

Stick turns to look upon the lad who asked him his question. He grins, and there seems to be a faint twinkle in his eye. Suddenly, in a very anime-ish fashion, the space behind Stick turns into a starry sky while the tall warrior goes through a variety of dramatic poses while shouting...

"It..." he spins! "Is..." a twirl on one foot... "For..." he crouches down low... "The..." he springs into the air, fist raised triumphantly and proclaims for all the world to hear: "GREATEST PLAY THE WORLD HAS EVER SEEN!" then lands as the background fades. He hangs his head low as he waits for the oncoming rush of applause. Two minutes pass while Stick keeps his eyes on the floor.

Odd, he thinks to himself, it seems that I have set the whole room into shock... perhaps I'll give them another minute to adjust.

After he lets the time pass, he looks up to find the room empty. He laughs nervously, and decides to get to work on touching up the scripts.

~~~

Okay, so roughly a year after I could have done this, it has finally begun. My Quill Quest! Yay! I suppose I should explain how I plan on running this. It's partially inspired by the Writing Exchange program, but not exactly. First and foremost, I'm going to extend an open invitation to *ANY OR ALL* members of The Pen, regardless of rank and such. After I have collected enough victim... volunteers, I will pair people up accordingly. Requests *will* be taken into consideration. Although keep in mind I ideally want to have newer members with ones that have been around longer, and preferably pair up people who don't really know each other. I will pair up with someone myself, aside from running the story. What I request from everyone is that they learn as much as possible about each other's characters. Most importantly, try to get a good feel for how they think, how they act, how they carry themselves, all that fun stuff. This is important, because in my scary play, you will be playing the part of your partner!!!

*Cue thunder and lightning, followed by Stick's maniacal laughter*

Anywhoo, obviously, this project may require a bit of trust on everyone's part. It's perfectly understandable that some people may be a bit protectice of their persona, which is fine. One of the biggest challenge for a forum writer is properly role-playing someone else's character. That's what this exercise is for!

So, timelines... well, everyone has their own thing going on, which is cool. There's no need to rush. The only thing is, I'd appreciate it if anyone volunteers, if they'd stay committed. Depending on how many people sign up, and how fast, it may take a couple weeks to get started, and a couple more to finish off. I'm going to be working really hard to make sure it flows and stays alive, so I hope whoever's crazy enough to sign up will return the favour! ;p

To rewind/recap:

Objective A: To educate Pen members about each other.

Objective B: To help improve multi-authored writing skills.

Objective C: To have tons of fun!!

Step 1: Gather underpants... err, volunteers.

Step 2: Pair up and begin edumacating!

Step 3: Have fun and write!

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask... I can be pretty confusing 99% of the time ^.^

:tree:

Wyvern races into the Cabaret Room and rapidly removes a theatre resume from his right horn, quickly skimming it over and making sure that it mentions his being "Director of Gyrfalcon: the Movie" before confidentally handing it to Stick. Bowing before the eccentrically dressed theatre operator and hissing in his best Shakespearian, the overgrown lizard exclaims:

"I would definitely be interested in participating, Sir Stick. May I ask about how many geld pieces we will be recieving per hour for our performances?"

"Well..." stammers Stick, biting his lip. "I-"

"Before you decide" declares Wyvern, "You must have a taste of my acting. Watch this."

With that, the reptilian Elder briefly turns from Stick and quickly dabs his eyes with the Fake Tear Tissue. The lizard then pulls a plastic onion prop out of his coat and turns back towards the theatre master, holding up the prop and emotionlessly muttering:

"Here... have a taste."*

* Author's Note: appropriately enough, Wyvern's acting is as bland as the taste of the plastic from which the prop is constructed. ;-p

OOC: Definitely count me in for this Quill Quest, Stick. It sounds like loads of fun. :)

Hmmm.

I'm swamped but this is wonderful. Can I provisionally, depending on Real Life things outside my control, apply? Perhaps as an understudy to someone?

It would work best for me, I believe, if my partner picked one of the boys or bodyguards (Elladan, Elrohir, Nuncio or Guido) and if they had Yahoo! Messenger for an interview.

If nothing else, I'll be an appreciative audience!

rushes off to work.

Lightning flashes through the large window in the hall, illuminating a large hanging portrait. In the first stroke of lightning the eyes are centered. In the next, they are looking left. In the next after that, they are looking right.

No, the subject of the painting isn't a real looker - it's Zool!

Without the aid of lightning, Zool's lips part, his lips forming words and a flat voice issues out; "I've never been hobbled by commitment, but consider me interested!"

;)

Stick cackles maniacally as he imagines a game of 'tetris' going on his mind... the pieces are all falling places. Evil tetris *is* funny, after all.

Back to reality, though... I'm glad to see y'all signing up, this is looking to be good already...

Peredhil, I'm sure we can work something out. It'd be fine if someone were to play the part of one your boys as well ^.^ Whatever's most comfortable for everyone.

Thanks for the early support!

well it sounds interesting, although im not too sure what its all about, but im sure all will become clear....hopefully, if not, eh we can say we had fun. since im currently playing a pirate in Peter Pan and loving it, why not try this play. what kinda audtition am i expected to do here anyways? i can sing a few commercial jingles if you want. let me know. oh and anyone in the northern VA area should come see Peter pan at MV High school

=tentatively raises her hand= I'd be interested...though I don't think that I completely understand exactly what will be happening...and while I do have a Pen Persona, I'm afraid that I don't have any spare plastic onions to offer you(I sold them all on ebay the other day, apparently faux vegetables are all the rage this season), nor can I sing commercial jingles, but hopefully something will work out...

MV High School!! The Maroon-colored school!! With a Pepsi machine in the front hall and an actual gym!!! Yes, I've been there, and perhaps I'd go and see this play, but I'm afraid I'm currently stuck about 800 miles away, and since hitchhiking is illegal on most major high ways, I'd probably get arrested before I got there =shrugs=.

Gyrfalcon and Daryl troop in and sign their names on the sheet with a slash between them. "Alright, we're willing to take a shot at it too! You can choose to enter this play as Gyrfalcon OR as Daryl. I can be found on ICQ, IRC, PMs, e-mail... lots of places."

"Go for it!" Daryl joyfully yips before pouncing at Alaeha!

Alright, confusion as I expected, I am so evil >:) Anyways, in reverse order of the questions asked:

Valdar - Well, the way it's going to work is, once I pair everyone up, and everyone has learned as much as they could learn within my given time frame, we will be working on a collaborative story directed by myself. It may not actually take the form of the play... but we'll see.

Troubled Sleep - Well, I guess I covered your concerns above, heh. I hope that was clear enough, but feel free to PM me or ask me here if there's anything specific you're not sure about. Oh, and I *guess* I'll let you participate even though you have no onion to offer. This time. ;p

Alaeha - Just thought I'd note that which persona is used is completely up to you and your partner, whomever they may be ^.^

MeThinksUFoolish - No actual auditions are necessary ;p All I ask is that if you join up, you stick along the whole way!

I'm glad to see we're gaining momentum here... I think if we can double our current numbers we'll move on to the next step. Speaking of which, I guess I'll elaborate on what I'm aiming for here. As I mentioned above, I'd like to pair up newer members with our more experienced ones mainly because most of us who have been around a while could probably play each other fairly well. I like the idea of a fun challenge for everyone ^.^

Oh, and a more general note, I call this a play because everyone is researching characters and acting out the roles of someone they wouldn't normally be. This is indeed a play about The Pen, starring the Members of The Pen, played by members of The Pen who aren't actually the Members they are playing. Woo! Lost yet? Good. Oh yeah, and while I won't reveal anything yet, this won't actually be taking place on a stage. (That's too limited for my purposes) Rather, it will take place inside The Pen itself, as well as the surrounding area. Most likely, it will be played out a lot like an actual role-playing session, with yours truly as the DM.

Don't forget to roll a critical on your fun dice! Or something like that...

Wow, Wyvern has an onion that could have made him money, and it hasn't been sold yet? Scary.

Count me in. I have multiple characters but presumably people would want to play the primary one, Katzaniel.

Looks like we only have one "new" player so far though. Stick, you may want to not be quite so rushed about getting to step two... or so I think. I figure there's lots of people out there who will be interested when they get a chance to read this. It sounds like loads of fun.

Critical.... :P

^.^

But of course, Katz, but of course. Although by my count (and I believe it *is* relevant... to me, anyways) I'm seeing 3 newer members. Anyways, I plan on waiting around a week.

*Stick makes sure to take out some insurance of his own, but is a little worried when the insurance forms have the almost-Draconic seal on them...*

BPO, I think your cuffs are spelling out "Help me, I was just setting up shop in the left sleeve, then he donned and buttoned the shirt and now I CAN'T BREATHE!!!!" in spider silk. . .and your jabot is a last will and testament.

(Rydia looks quite worried about this, and is busy writing down the translation in a little note-pad--"To my dear wife, nothing, it couldn't possibly have been bad enough to warrant trying to take off my head. To my 9997 faithful children, the left and right sleeves of this shirt. To my 2 layabouts who won't move out of the garment label, some free advice: Get Your Own Shirt.")

BPO, can't volunteer. Not around enough to make it fair to everyone.

Just wanted to point out that, I don't think any one REALLY wants to play the part of one of Peredhil's "Boys". Then again, you never know..............

Elladan and Elrohir are fascinating creatures as Peredhil plays them. Elladan, especially, though Elrohir has an air of mystique about him in my mind that's very enticing. I would be afraid of doing them an injustice, just as I would if I tried to 'play' Peredhil.

Contemplatively Yours,

~Yui

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's been over a week since I started, and unfortunately this hasn't gathered as much attention as I was hoping. Therefore, I have decided to shelve this project and try again later (most likely in the summer holidays when people may have more time to spare. Real life can be crushing, I know) I apologize to whoever was looking for this, but this wouldn't work with the current numbers anyways. The big thing I was looking for was newer members, and I didn't get nearly enough.

• 2 weeks later...

Dragonqueen wanders up to sign. Reading it, her eyes light up. Stars reflect faintly in them. Snatching the pen from any invisible moochers, she prints her name on the list. With an effort, she makes it somewhat legible. Standing back, she notes how much prettier it looks than her usual scrawl. Skipping away, she thinks about the play and hopes it's a good one...

Plays are so much fun...I don't really have a defined character yet, but this would be a good chance to make one...is that okay?

It would be great! Except I think I'm calling it off for the time being... in fact, I'm not sure why it's still stickied up here... I think I have to go back to the drawing board for another year, so that everyone may forget that I attempted this in the first place... or something like that...