The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Board Stability

Salinye

I love and appreciate all Rune does, she works so hard to make this board so awesome! However all of her hard work is for not if the board is regularly down. The past few weeks it's now at the point where it's down for an undetermined amount of time almost daily. Today has been a minimum of a 4 hour stretch. I'm not sure how long it was down before that.

Is it just me, or is it time to talk about a new hosting site? I would love to keep the honors of board control in Rune's hands, I just am starting to think this host isn't worth the time and money that I'm sure is being put into this board. I'd love to hear other's thoughts. I am admittedly naive in these things, so maybe I'm way off base. If so, please enlighten me!

~Salinye :butterfly:

This web site and the hosting was a Christmas present to me from Rune.

I bought the URLs for the Pen, and recently Orlan renewed them for us. The entire time, Rune has provided our hosting for free, along with several other sites she's maintaining for various people. Her heart is like that.

The current difficulties aren't only with the Pen, and are below the database level - they're the result of the hosting servers - something over which no one in the Pen currently has control.

If we want to pay money for web hosting someone, Rune said she'd make the time to transfer the Pen to the new site and get it all set up and running.

That's it to the best of my knowledge -

Although I have to admit that was, and still is, the best Christmas present I've ever received. :)

-Peredhil

Yes. I very much wish to reitterate that I in no way thought the board instability was anyones fault! The very opposite. People like Rune work so hard, so it's frustrating to have it down so much! :0) Maybe it's a phase and it will blow over? It didn't used to do this so much. *shrugs* Not sure, again, I'm naive in these things. :0)

~Salinye :butterfly:

Rune,

One place you might want to look into is FuitadNET. From what I can see, their hosting seems to be low cost, and high bandwith. I know they host the comic 8-bit Theater and I haven't noticed any downtime from that site, despite a fairly large following.

They seem to provide a large array of services, and their TOS policies look fairly easy for the Pen to get along with, though I'm unsure about your other sites.

• 2 weeks later...

I did not know this thread exisited. Yui, I apologize, I somehow missed your PM.

I guess God has a way of telling me things and I didnt realize it.

The new host needs to be on a unix platform so that scripts can be utilized to import such a large dbase. If it uses a windows platform, it is next to impossible to import unless the host allows you to set the read/write permissions on the server. Most do not it seems. If someone is more server competant that I am then they might have better luck with the import process on a windows platform, but my knowledge is almost purely unix based. Also it needs to include mysql and php support to run the board. If someone is familiar with sql and php I can export the dbase and provide a backup at that time for an import or I can help import it to the new host.

These are the traffic reports for my entire site : http://www.clock-works.net/priv_stats/

I have a few other sites so the pen’s usage isn’t all of it..but I would plan as though it was to give yourself leeway. If you happen to choose a bandwidth restricted host, it will be important to know. They shut down the site if you go over the limit or charge you extra.

Also, for those of you who were notified of the possiblity of the host going down prematurely that has been resolved. I have found a way around the hosting issues and the site will remain active for as long as you need to make the arrangements to move it.

If anyone needs me, email taice@earthlink.net. Its the easiest way to get in touch with me.

Edited by Rune

They seem to provide a large array of services, and their TOS policies look fairly easy for the Pen to get along with, though I'm unsure about your other sites.

There should be no concern for my sites. Only the pen is in question. It should be kept seperately since they are not related.

Edited by Rune