The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

(Insert Nifty Title Here)

Alaeha

Sorry... too tired to come up with a good name for this right now... but I want to let people know about this now.

As Ayshela mentioned, my Quill Quest is intertwined with hers. She hosts the Fall Ball, and I've been approved to help with the entertainment for it. I'm going to be MCing what she called a semi-open mic type thing... I think of it more as a show, myself.

Balls are, by nature, musical... and music is essential to this event as well. In this case, music is the inspiration. The idea is for people to write stories, poems, plays, etc. based on songs with particularly good imagery or anything else that strikes a chord with them. Once the piece is finished, and they've officially "Arrived" at the Fall Ball, it's just a matter of PMing me to tell me a little bit about the piece so that I can introduce them properly in the main thread.

I'm thinking this event should probably start running shortly after the doors open for Ayshela's, so I'll aim to get things started on the second day of hers.

For the time being... this thread is open for suggestions of songs, questions, all that good stuff. :)

In the way of suggestions... I'd have to recommend the song I'm doing, The Great Disappointment by AFI... Or a couple of their other songs: ... But Home is Nowhere, and This Time Imperfect.

If those don't really appeal to you, and you don't mind reading texts with impolite language, Idle Hands, and Monolith, by Stone Sour, aren't bad. I'll try to come up with more suggestions later... (Links are to Lyrics)

Other opinions?

Okay, for those of us who are a little slow. *grins*

Can I just put myself out there and say, "I don't understand!" Maybe you could elaborate on exactly what it is we're supposed to do. Maybe I just need to read it again!! I want to participate so I just need to make sure I get it. *grins*

Sorry, am I making your life difficult? You know, in life you have to deal with us slow people. :P

~Salinye :butterfly:

Ok...

Step 1) Find a song that satisfies a few basic requirements. You must like it. It must have good imagery, or a good story, or a mood which lends an atmosphere you can combine with the lyrics to create the basis of a story, or some such.

Step 2) Write your story, poem, short play, or other piece of work, based on the song. For a poorly written example, you might look at One of Us, a story I wrote based on Miseria Cantare (AFI) when I couldn't sleep. It's not very good, but it should give you an idea of what I mean.

To explain it a little more clearly using that as an example... The lyrics I incorporated mostly are from the "Verse" of the song.

"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all" was worked in through the destruction of Jede's past. "Dark flame" of course, made it in as well.

"Your faith, lost." was also part of the destruction of her past, and her denial of it.

That's the sort of thing I mean. Taking images and the general sense of the song, and making something new with them.

Step 3) PM me to let me know that you have a piece called "Such and such" based on "This or That" that you would like me to introduce, when the Show starts. Then, I'll introduce you, and I'll PM you back to usher you onstage.

Does that help clarify any?

I for one know I'm gonna choose something by the Moody Blues. Is there a time limit, like when we have to have this done by? Also are we supposed to post in a specific place? If not are we supposed to send you the link to our post so you can make list of links to the post?

Sounds fun.

-Nyyark

Alaeha isn't home tonight to answer this, so i'll jump in and take a quick shot at it -

small guesstimate on the issue of time limit: Alaeha mentioned starting on the second day of the Ball. I'm tentatively planning on throwing open the Ballroom doors in a week, so it would be, say, the end of next week or next weekend that her project would start. i imagine that it could run on as long as the ball does, for those who need a bit more time. i *think* that as that event opens i'll be introducing Alaeha within the ball thread and turning the stage over to her, but she will probably be opening a separate thread for her project, but the coordination of that will be up to her. :)

does that help?

For the time limit... I'll be opening on the sixteenth... So... I give it three weeks, maybe four, or until the end of the Ball, for my part of the show. Whichever comes first. After that, the thread can stay open, I'd say... but it'll be an Open Mic deal at that point, rather than my introducing them.

That way, if real life jumps up and bites me, it won't slow people down so much.

As for the location of the posts... I'll be starting a main thread up after Ayshela gets the ball and the show started. As I said... PM me to have me introduce you, then I'll send you a message letting you know you have the stage, and then post the thing...

It's a bit odd... and probably more than a little time-consuming, and for that I apologize... :(

*Hugs*

Peredhil strokes his chin thoughtfully.

Hmmm. I'll have to get permission to use the lyrics of a song he wrote from a friend for me.

I'd planned on my sons entering on their own - Do I get to have music for them? My bodyguards?

Perhaps this is a question more for the Quillbearer Ayshela instead. How to handle multiple Personae.

I'd thought about identifying using personae tags, for example,

[Nuncio] My thoughts run in circles at times like these, and my whiskers itched. I startled slightly and palmed my lead-filled sap as the music started, and then re-sleeved it before anyone seemed to notice. Although I know and like everyone here, I am a Bodyguard and paranoia is a professional standard. Glancing over at Guido to ensure he'd fanned out to cover his side, I sighed with resigned anticipation. There was no chance in any of the hells or Bad Places on any of the universes, or worlds in those universes that I'd followed the Big P through, that he wouldn't mingle.

I couldn't help but remember it was Family that had killed the Don Amechi, the Faerie Godfather as Guido and I had stood there, and started us on this path.

It would be a long night.[/Nuncio]

[Guido]Whadda night dis would be! I love parties. And maybe da Boss would be happy for a while.

I glanced over to Nun' and made sure I didn' grin cause I knew he'd get all pissy ifn I didn' play it cool. But my whiskers was twitchin' in 'ticipation. The Faerie Dragon Ring felt cool on my hand;I missed access to magic even while I was 'preciatin' da protection in a crowd like dis.[/Guido]

Having your sons entering the ball on their own? Or the show? Or something else altogether?

If you mean the ball... then certainly, it would be better to ask Ayshela. For myself, I'd imagine that it would be fine to have your sons enter in a separate post. As for handling the multiple personae... I have no idea.

If you mean the show, then so long as you made it clear in the PM you sent me that it was one of them that would be presenting the piece, then you could have either of them or even one of your bodyguards deliver it, if you can convince them that you'll be safe with just the one.. And you can present more than one piece... I fully intend to present more than one myself, if I can find the time to write them. :)

As far as separate personae attending the ball..

well, that could get a little complicated.

If multiple personae are entering simultaneously - ie Peredhil and bodyguards - they would be introduced and described within the same post, though each would need to be introduced for those who haven't met them yet.

If the personae are entering separately, each would have a separate introduction post *as* they entered.

Once each persona is at the Ball, they would be present and accounted for when Alaeha opened the stage for her part of the entertainment.

Does that help?

or did i miss the point of the question entirely?

Okies!

You got the point and fielded it beautifully with the verbal grace of a gazelle. (fast answer. :P)

Peredhil will enter with his Bodyguards, the Giant Guinea Pigs Guido and Nuncio.

Elladan and Elrohir, his sons, will be a little late, and so will enter after him.

Will "tagging" the personae be okay? I don't know what the Elders, Lore Master (or Rune!) think the impact of many accounts for one person would be on the web site.

Any Voices of Authority out there?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok... So I'm about a week or so late with this... Sorry about that. Real life struck me hard with a History Exam. My brain is just about finished recovering from that, so I'll be getting this started now. This thread will now be open for any further questions and any OOC commentary people have on the main thread.

This is presumably occuring during the Fall Ball, but the events in the Fall Ball thread should go on without more than passing reference to the show... Don't really want to screw up anybody's interaction. :)

And I'll be stressing this a lot... but that's because it's important.

Please do not post on the Show's main thread without being introduced.

Introduced posts = :woot:

Unintroduced posts = :demon:

:lol: *Hugs*

Okay, long day here.

Just to be sure I understand this completely.

There is the Fall Ball thread, and it's OOC Thread.

There *will be* a Show thread, and this is its OOC Thread.

We post freely on the Fall Ball thread, but don't post on the Show thread until we are introduced. Where do we look for the emoticons that say we're okay to post. In here? In the Show thread?

Rubs his nose and thinks of sleep.

Sorry to be obtuse. :(

okay, Alaeha's not back from school yet, so imma take a quick stab at this..

this is the /ooc thread for Alaeha's Quill Quest, which in story-line-concept is assumed to be taking place as part of the entertainment of the Fall Ball, but in actuality is completely unrelated to the Fall Ball posting thread which should continue uninterrupted.

The Fall Ball is an open posting thread, each person arriving and interacting as they choose, by my design and because for my concept it works best that way. That is not the case for Alaeha's thread or for her concept, which by its nature will need to be a closed thread. For her concept to work well all individual writing will need to be introduced and only posted AFTER she introduces your "act".

Is that a little more clear? Much of the arrangements for her quill quest thread will be done via PM, and if i've got any of this wrong she can correct it, she should be back in a moment.

Gah!

Sorry... Was just trying to make it perfectly clear as to what the reaction to each type of post was.

You get evil evil looks if you post in the show thread without being introduced. :demon:

If you've been introduced, you get happy looks. :woot:

Sorry... apart from that, I think you're pretty much right.

I'm sorry, didn't realize I was supposed to post thingies in here - I sent theme music for Peredhil, Elrohir, Elladan, Guido, and Nuncio by PM.

But those themes, while very representative of them, would be far too personal for any of them to speak on.

I'm working on coming up with songs that would fit each one, but that they could use as a introduction to speaking. I'm not so sure Elladan or Nuncio would participate though, as they're kinda shy about public speaking, prefering small groups and one-on-one.

A supportive Ancient struggling for time

Heh, it's also on my list of things to get to, but this week is as busy as ever for me, so I haven't really had any time to go lyrics hunting for Gyrfalcon. All the music I think of with him happens to be non-lyrical.

Unfortuantly, I'm just trying to keep up with threads I'm already involved in, but hopefully free time will appear soon. ^_^

Alaeha darted into the Cabaret room on receiving notice that people had been discussing her Quill Quest, and quickly skimmed over the conversations. She laughed, and jotted down a relatively short reply.

"No worries... I understand entirely too well how crippling a busy schedule can be. Just trying to keep on top of my daily work at school as well as writing the required essays for my English class and finding time to sleep and maintain some semblance of a social life are combining to leave me with almost no time for anything even resembling creative writing... that's why my quest was a full week late in starting. :)

"And... for the sake of clarity, the songs don't have to be relevant to the character. They just have to strike enough of a chord with you that you can write something based on them... relevance to the character is just a nice bonus if you can pull it off. "

Hoping that she had helped to clear up any confusion, she stuck the note in place and dashed from the room with such speed that only a blur of color and a gust of wind were left behind for a moment to show that she had been there seconds before... save for a wry comment:

"Now... back to writing about Impressionism..."

Edited by Alaeha