The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

The Hunt

Racouol

Ugarte paced about the auditorium he had rented three days ago. He also mailed out an invitation to almost every mercinary and Bounty Hunter he could think of. He also made fliers and posted them Now he just had to wait until everyone arrives.

He paced around on the stage reciting his speach over and aover again. Occasionally making small changed to its wording to make it flow better. He was now in the most delicite part of his plan. One mistake could end his plans in a single heartbeat. Still some risks were worth it and if things go well he will have an army on his side.

He glanced over at bob for a moment. Bob was his partner in his last mission. Then it seemed like they could take on anything. bob's strength, resistance to magic, and regeneration powers alone made him an almost unstoppable force. He was also given the ability to think as well thus making him less dangerous to Ugarte. But even with Bob's help Ugarte was unable to kill his two main targets.

"Things will be different this time around" Ugarte muttered under his breath. "You are an easier target now that Racouol isn't there to cover your back" Finally he would be able to kill the villian that tried to freeze the world so many years ago. "It is a shame that I will not be able to kill Racouol as well. He does deserve more than you do."

He then sat down onto the stage and started sharpening one of his knives.

OOC: ok. This thread is open to all who wish to participate. I just request that anyone involve to please keep it serious.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Reaper Mynx

Skielah sniffed the air suspiciously, her feline ears twitching. She rechecked the flyer she held in her hand before crumpling it in her fist and shoving it back into her belt. silently, she moved out of the shadows towards the man who sat, sharpening something, her right hand resting lightly on one of the two sai resting visibly in her belt. the third sai sat in the back of her belt, hidden by cloak and the sheathed katana. the man looked up, the organiser, she assumed, and stared as she walked into view. it didnt surprise her at all, she was used to this sort of reactions from humans: Skielah was a...well the best term to describe her would be lycanthrope, but she didn't change with the moon. her body was that of a slim female, but she had the head, fur, tail and foot structure of a panther. she moved with the grace and power of a cat as she stalked up to the man on the stage. she was aware of the other in the background but payed him no heed. she regarded the man for a moment before speaking. "you're Ugarte?" the man nodded, regarding Skielah suspiciously "and you are?" he inquired. "Skielah" she bowed her head in greeting, before continuing "i found this flyer...you are looking for bounty hunters?"

Ugarte stared at Skielah for a few moments before getting up. He sheathed his knife than bowed. "It is a pleasure to meet you Skielah. I trust that the this place was not too hard to find."

"It was easy enough. I AM a bounty hunter after all. What good is a bounty hunter if they cannot find their bounty?" Skielah asked as she continued to observe the surounding.

"Yes this is true." Ugarte paused for a few moments before continuing. "Why don't you have a seat, you are early after all. I just can not explain the mission fully until everyone arrives."

"Can't you at least tell me who the bounty is. I like to know who..."

"I told you to wait. Trust me, this bounty will test all of your skills as a bounty hunter. It also wouldn't suprise me if there were a few s along the way. All shall be revealed in due time. Just be patient." Ugarte interupted. He then sat back down and started sharpening another of his throwing knives.

Skielah frowned for a moment. She then walked over to one of the beams of the building and climbed up to the rafters. There she sat and waited.

Mira entered the auditorium, his hollow footsteps, amplified by the rooms acoustics, made the emptyness of the hall painfuly obvious. His fingers flexed on the exceptional steel quarterstaff that he held in his right hand as he approched the man who stood on the stage.

"This your party?", Mira asked.

The man stopped what he was doing, quickly examined Mira, and nodded.

"Nice fliers", Mira said with a grin. "Mind if I take a seat?"

"Be my guest" the man replied, and then resumed what he had been doing.

Mira took a seat in the back row.

A woman could be seen standing in the back of the auditorium her arms folded across her chest as she leaned uncaring upon the wall. She watched the other few “bounty hunters” arrive before slowly making her way forward. Urgarte had noticed her an hour earlier, but he had dealt with bounty hunters before, and knew they never made their moves until they were ready. He watched her approach out of the corner of his eye while sharpening his knife.

The woman was tall and slender, yet quite fit. Her muscle tone was apparent through her snug dark brown leather breeches. She wore black leather boots up to her knees, a fitting black shirt, and black leather wristbands. She had no visible weapons upon her. Her hair was golden blonde and tied back into an intricate series of knots in the back of her head, held together by small steal rods that looked like they themselves could be weapons.

She had what appeared to be a dark blue tattoo around her left eye that reminded him of a symbolic Egyptian drawing of some sort of bird, perhaps an eagle. She wore blood red lipstick as a final touch to her ornately made up, yet beautiful face. When she reached the stage she simply looked up to the man and asked in a voice roughened by the industry, “You the man runnin’ this show?”

Urgarte raised an eyebrow trying to decide if her disrespectful tone was bravado or stupidity when she continued without answering. “No matter. It’ll only take me five minutes to decipher whether being here is even worth my time.” She then slouched down into a chair in a most unladylike manner with a smirk not even acknowledging the others in attendance.

Edited by Salinye

Mira gets up and moves to the chair next to the exotic looking woman he had failed to notice earlier and who has just taken a seat.

"Hi, my name is Mira, and your's is ... "

The woman ignores his advance. Undiscouraged, he continues.

"Not the talkative type I see." "Well do you have any idea what this is going to be about?"

The woman continues to ignore him.

"Well it was nice chatting with you."

He returns to his previous seat, props his feet up, and closes his eyes.

Edited by Mira

The door to the hall swings open and a large shadow is temporarily cast over the doorway. The entering figure pauses for a moment, then walks in. He looks around curiously at the crowd, then shrugs and finds a spot against the wall directly across from where he entered. This man is Tayne 'Darkstorm' Demeron, a man of many paths; his current road happens to be that of a mercenary. Tayne is a tall, muscular man with fiery red hair that hangs slightly beneath his shoulders and covers his chin. He is adorned in nothing but a pair of leather breeches overtop a pair of heavy boots and a loose cloth vest that hangs freely off his muscular chest. About his body are strapped a various array of weapons ranging from a pair of hand-axes to an assortment of swords of varying size and shape to at least one dozen knives, all of which seem designed to be designed for either melee fighting or throwing. His darkly-tanned skin seems to be covered in multiple over-lapping scars, suggesting that the man does not wear armour of any sort.

Sure that his entrance was enough to introduce himself, he runs a hand through his hair, then crosses his arms. He gives anyone who looks at him a sneer and waits for whoever is organizing this gathering to get started.

Guest Reaper Mynx

polishing silver sai, skielah glanced down as the other bounty hunters arrived. none of them had noticed her yet and that was just how she liked it. she saw the man who called himself mira try and chat up the woman with the strange tattoo and laughed at his miserable attempt. the woman's tattoo bothered skielah slightly, she had seen it before but could not remember where. all she knew was that it was something that even the rogue pantherra respected. she decided to test this. sheathing her sai, skielah lept down silently from the rafters. despite her silent landing she was noticed (as she expected) and many of the heads turned to stare at this strange but beautiful and deadly creature as she moved gracefully forward. she stepped up to the slouching woman and waited until she caught her eye. when the woman looked up at skielah, she bowed deeply before extending her hand to the woman.

"we have met before..."

Edited by Reaper Mynx

The blonde woman remained slouched in her chair taking in the unique form of this lycanthrope female bounty hunter who stood before her with her hand politely extended. She waited until the woman was just starting to lower her hand thinking perhaps she’d get the same rude unresponsiveness that Mira had, before she finally sat forward a bit shaking the Feline creature’s hand.

“You’re a unique creature, and woman. I’m sure I’d remember if we had. You must be mistaken.” She replied in a cool yet non-offensive way. Her tone suggested that perhaps the years had naturally hardened the woman’s mannerisms and that her apparent disrespect wasn’t always meant as such. More to the fact, it was just naturally part of who she was. “Mira here, “ she continued changing the subject and pointing a thumb at the man sitting down the row from her, the first indication that she had retained anything about him. “He’s wondering what this little “meeting” is all about. Any idea? I’m rather anxious to go about my business if it’s just another slouch wanting his old boss dead.” She spoke loud enough for both Urgarte and Bob to hear her.

"So your not deaf after all", chuckled Mira with a grin. :D

"In that case is there any chance that ... "

His intrusion into the two female's conversation was met with a pair of stares so sharp they could have cut thru two feet of stone.:hmm::hmm:

"Ya know what, never mind", he added. And as an after thought suddenly remembered that he had to be on the other side of the room for some important leaning against the wall and glaring.

Ugarte frowned slightly, he had expected more bounty hunters to show but no matter. He then glanced at Bob, causing the huge man to start walking towards Ugarte. Ugarte sheathed his throwing knife and slowly got up to his feet. He once again looked around the room and give out a light sigh.

"Good evening ladies and gentlemen," Ugarte started. Everyone else in the auditorium quickly stopped their conversations and turned to Ugarte. "I am glad to see that you could take time out of your busy schedual to hear me out. I am sorry for keeping you all waiting. First off I would like to start off with the name of the bounty." He paused and started studying the faces of each bounty hunter. "His name is Gyrfalcon No'Dessu, wanted for the crimes of attempting to destroy the world, the use of evil magics, manslaughter, and conspiring with demons. While his plans were thwarted by a group of heros; he went unpunished and to this day may be forming another plan to destroy the world." He paused for a moment "I am offering a 780,000 geld for his head. He will also no doubt test all your abilities as bounty hunters. Good luck on your hunt and if you have any other questions feel free to ask." Ugarte looked around the room ready to answer any questions the bounty hunters may have. Bob stood close by guarding Ugarte from any possible attack.

Edited by Racouol

Guest Reaper Mynx

Skielah regarded Ugarte. "you speak as if ur doing this for the good of....mankind. i doubt u r a man of such virtue sir. no offence meant of course. what is ur alterior motive?"

she was aware that the other bounty hunters had made a circle around her, and the one called Bob was standing protectivly by his serf. this did not worry her as she could feel from the air around her that the circle was made from curiosity, not malice. her twitching tail the only sign of movement, Skielah stared calmly at Ugarte and waited for his answer.

Having nothing else, to do, Robby walked. He could have run, but he wasn't actually going anywhere. Nearly freezing rain beat down around him, but even though he was dressed as if for a pleasant summer's day, he paid it no heed.

His arm shot out, and he seized a flier, taking it from the wind. On attempting to read it, he discovered it had been beaten and soaked beyond recognition. He held his arm out and returned it to the storm.

A few moments later, he passed an audotorium. He noticed a flier tacked to the wall just inside the entryway. Mild curiosity struck him, and he moved to investigate.

This particular incarnation of the flier had been spared the beatings of the weather to some extent. It detailed how mercenaries were being hired to help track down and kill a madman who had once attempted to lock the world in ice.

Well, madmen trying to end the world were a bad thing, and apparently the employer was meeting with candidates now and in this building no less.

The crowd gather around Skielah anxiously waited for her Ugarte's answer.

"What'd I miss?"

Several heads turned to see a small man entering the auditorium. he couldn't have been more than five and a half feet tall, and looked wiry rather than powerful and muscular.

"Erm, bad time?"

Tayne interrupted Robbie's entrance with a laugh loud enough for everyone to hear. All eyes turned to him. He grinned.

"The man we are hunting is Gyrfalcon no'Dessu?"

Ugarte nods, and Tayne laughs again.

"Ha, and you offer only 780,000 Geld?"

"Yes, 780,000 Geld for the bounty hunter who brings me the head of Gyrfalcon."

Tayne shakes his head, still laughing. "You are truly mad. Last I heard, the bounty on Gyrfalcon's head was well over a million." this causes a stur among the other hunters, "I can do it, but only if you double the bounty. No, triple it."

"Impudent fool! Why would I do such a thing?"

"Two Million geld is the least you can give to someone hunting Gyrfalcon. Obviously, you're scared to do it yourself, or else you wouldn't need us. Your friend there, seems like a tough guy, might stand a chance. I'm guessing you have something up your sleeve we've yet to see. Escaping an encounter with Gyrfalcon is a reward in itself, but someone's got to pay the cleric's fee. Anything less than a million couldn't cover the damage he can inflict."

**editing to remove names. I just realize Urgarte and Bob have not had their names introduced**

The blonde woman could no longer listen to this idle debate. She first directed her comment at Tayne. "You're a fool." Her comment caused them all to turn towards her as she stood. Just as Tayne was realizing she had insulted him and was twisting his face ready for a rebuttle she continued. "But you're right. Closer to the truth anyway." Standing she made her way through the small group and leaned against the stage facing them with Urgarte and Bob above and behind her.

"The men behind us, however, are not fools. They offer you 780 thousand geld because they know they'll never have to pay it. We're nothing but cannon fodder to them. None of you..." Here she paused with a cruel chuckle. "In fact, I'd be bold enough to say that even all of you combined could not acquire Gyrfalcon's head....Not even the one who says he can. Let me tell you the truth as I see it. These men here, just expect you to locate Gyrfalcon and suicide as you attempt to kill him in your lust for payment and if they get lucky, you might injure him. This man here" She pointed a thumb at Urgarte behind her without looking. "He never had any plans for anyone other than his beefy sidekick to kill Gyrfalcon if you ask me."

The small group of Bounty Hunters began stirring slightly looking from the woman to the men behind her not liking her tone, but at the same time wondering if she didn't speak the truth. Before the two men behind her could interrupt her speech she continued on.

"But what these two don't know, is that Gyrfalcon has obtained quite the beefy sidekick of his own, these days. I'd say it would be a close match. In fact," She turned her head to look at the stern faces of the men behind her. "I'd even be bold enough to say you might even lose. So then what's left? Gyrfalcon and our trusty employer." Her voice was heavily laid with sarcasm. "So, you see, he WILL need you. Someone's going to have to defend him from Gyrfalcon's ire."

Finally it was Tayne who had had enough of her "I'm better than you attitude" and spoke up. "Yeah, and what makes you think you're so different? You think you know so much more than everyone else."

She met his eyes evenly, even ruthlessly before responding. "Well, I am just guessing here, but I'd be willing to bet I'm not far from the truth. However, there is one thing we've got that Gyrfalcon doesn't have, although he thinks he does."

"Yeah, and what's that?" Tayne retorted irritated but also curious.

"Me." She responded causing snorts of disgust to erupt all around her. Finally Urgarte had had enough.

"And what makes you think you're worth anything more to me than anyone else here...uhhh...and who are you?" He asked more than mildly irritated at her brazen attack of his intentions.

Finally she turned around to meet the eyes of the men who wished to hire them. "You can call me, Dove." She said pointing to the Egyptian bird symbol tattood above her eye. "And, I'm worth more to you because I already have a cover established within the community Gyrfalcon lives in. You'll be able to devise a plan and use these bounty hunters for something worthwhile rather than sending them to useless deaths. He trusts me. I know him."

Urgarte stared down at her his expression bland and unreadable. "You know him? How well?" He asked.

Dove smiled coyly and looked up at him through lowered lashes and answered in the one way that she thought might secure her the position within this mission she desired. "Intimately."

Edited by Salinye

Mira's heart sank at Dove's last comment.

Just my luck, all the interesting girls have powerful, evil-wizard boyfriends.

“Well something smells fishy here, and the docks are on the other side of town,” said Mira, with at quick glare at the smaller man on the stage. “I think that our potential employer has some explaining to do. Immense pain and certain death aren’t my kind of odds, but if that’s what this game is about, I’ll just stick to dicing, thank you.”

Edited by Mira

Tayne just grinned. This was all madness, but he loved it. It was this intense knowledge of impending doom that made him feel so alive. He also grinned at Dove's comments. She knew Gyrfalcon. She knew where he lived. That would lead him to the other man he was after. The one that had been able to elude him for so long. Perhaps he was the one that Dove spoke of, the one protecting him. Tayne mentally shrugged. He'd see when they got there, he supposed. Just as Ugarte was about to speak, Tayne muttered: "Information is powerful..." then aloud, "Whatever the scenario, count me in. A fool I may be, but this whole idea is foolish. All of these..." Tayne scoffs as he looks about the room, "Look skilled enough, but have they got the guts for the challenge we're about to face? Ha! All the more reward for me, I think."

This raises a murmur of insults and curses, and everyone gives Tayne the dirtiest look possible. The large warrior just smirks, runs his hand through his hair and laughs again. "Whatever buddy here has to say, count me in."

"Hmmm, I figured that sense that bounty was so old that everyone forgot about it. It has been several years sense that bounty came out. Very well, I will offer you 8 million geld and will be willing to go up to 20 million." Ugarte simply stated. Before Tayne could say anything Ugarte turned to Skielah "As for your question. My motive is to get rid of him before he strikes again. He has been communicating with demons and looking to open a portal linking both this world with the demon world. I just hope to foil new this attempt to destroy the known world. I also know that I can not do it alone."

"And I am suppose to believe all of this." Skielah asked.

"Wether or not you believe me or not you believe me is up to you. I am just giving you the facts. If you want proof that Gyrfalcon is involved with demons then look at this." Ugarte lifted his pantled revealing several scars running from his knee to his foot. He let the pant leg drop and stared into Skielah's eyes. "I recieved this scar when Gyrfalcon sent one of the demons to attack me after he found one of my spies. I am sure that he is also having demons watch this very room right now, that is if he is not doing it himself." Everyone except for bob and Ugarte started looking at every corner and shadow for possible spies. "And how is anyone here to know if a demon has already got a description of everyone in this room. This would make it very possible that any of us may be the next target. You can leave if you want Mira but how would you like to find out if the person you are playing dice with is actually a demon come to assasinate you?"

Mira shivered at the thought.

"Furthermore I never said that it was going to be easy, however I also never go rushing into these situations without knowing what I am getting into. That is why I am looking for the best Bounty hunters. So if you are not up to it I will not stop you from leaving just remember what I said." He then turned to dove. "As for you. How am I suppose to believe that you are indeed Gyrfalcon's sweetheart. For all I know you might be lying." Ugarte said as an amused smile slowly crept to his face. "However I am willing to give you a benifit of the doubt if you can tell me something about Gyrfalcon that is not common knowledge. Then I might actually believe you."

**** As the arguing amongst the collection of bounty hunters continued, most of which was directed towards that the actual price of Gyrfalcons head should be, as well as the other conversations pertaining to relationships and alterior motives.. the group failed to notice a man dressed in a black cloak sitting in the back of the hall. He chuckled to himself as he quietly puffs away on a long wooden pipe..

"So Ugarte and Bob have put a bounty on Gyrfalcon's head... And they actually found people dumb enough to take that offer... What fools.." Thought the cloaked man.

The cloaked man continued to puff away on his pipe for a few more minutes before rising to his feet.

"My master will be pleased with the information I have gathered for him" The cloaked figure said to himself.

The cloaked man slowly made his way out of the auditorium walking with a slight limp ****

Guest Reaper Mynx

Skielah stared at the bounty hunters as they continued to banter about the price. her sensitive ears were constantly twitching and her catlike nose picked up the stench of a pipe. glancing around, she saw a man trying to leave the room without being seen. her eyes narrowed. she didnt trust the man. he stank of deciet. despite this, she had already made her decision. walking up to Ugarte, Skielah waited for him to notice her before she spoke.

"as....interesting...and amusing...as this bounty sounds, i dont wish to waste my time with it. call me a coward if you wish, but i prefer to work alone, and i dont apprectiate the thought of....contending....with such a large group. however i wish u all well on your...quest" she bowed her head low to Ugarte and the rest of the group, who had stopped talking to stare at the feline hunter. she headed for the door, bowing her head at Dove, who bowed her own in the same manner. as an afterthought, Skielah went back to the woman and spoke quietly to her. "the men here wont believe me but there was a spy at the back of the room. i could smell the lies on him. be careful, your bounty may be waiting for you" having said that, Skielah stalked out of the room, disappearing easily into the darkness of the night.

Edited by Reaper Mynx

Dove listened intently to the whispers from the lycanthrope woman making eye contact and nodding to indicate she appreciated the information and would make a note of it. She watched the unique woman leave mildly curious about her before turning her attention back to the group of bounty hunters and their would be employers. She waited until a small break in the conversation presented itself. Gaining Urgarte’s eye contact she finally spoke up again.

“You’re right to want proof. You can’t trust anyone in this industry at face value. I would have walked away from here thinking you a fool, otherwise. I mean, for all you know, I AM his mistress, and here as a spy for him.” She then put her hands on her hips and tilted her head to the side in thought. “Well, he doesn't really have any significant or out of the ordinary scars. Clerics tend to take care of those things. Besides, the way Exophek was expelled was by Holy Water, and that wouldn't leave marks on someone like Gyrfalcon. So, I suppose one of the main things about Gyrfalcon that is not common knowledge is his amulet.”

“His amulet?” Urgarte asked mildly curious.

“Yes. It's a small oval silver amulet with a wolf's head and shoulders shown as it howls at a small moon overhead. On the left there is a stylized gust of wind, and on the upper-right, a feather floats in the air. He wears it beneath his clothes and next to his skin at all times. Even under armor, or when sleeping or bathing. I asked him about it once and although he swears it’s nothing more than a simple memento that reminds him of his past, I highly doubt that. Have you ever known Gyrfalcon to be sentimental? I’d think that probably this amulet offers him some sort of ability or protection. I can try to get it if you want.”

She paused only a moment before she finished verbalizing her thoughts. “You may ask yourself why I’ve bothered to get to know him so well, and why I’m not loyal to him. However, for a bounty hunter to be loyal to any man is to give herself a weakness. Gyrfalcon thinks I’m loyal, and that gives me a great advantage. I like advantages. However, I’m glad you’ve raised the pay, you’re going to need to prove you have that money, because for me to participate in this mission is for me to give up a cover I’ve taken years to establish. I’ll never be able to show my face in these parts again.”

With that she folded her arms across her chest and looked up to Urgarte almost challengingly.

Edited by Salinye

The tall cloaked figure, all but concealed by shadow, stretched and flexed his back, weary of all the words.

Such outrageous claims and bravado were part and parcel of these gatherings, of course, but after the first dozen or so, bounty declarations did become a little tiresome. Neither was it the first time he had attended a meeting whose target was known to him - such was the price of his past. So much years, so many faces.

Still. This one promised to be just a bit more interesting than usual given the number of faces he recognized in the auditorium. Some he knew only by reputation. Others were well known to him indeed. Oh, what a tangled web we weave...

He settled back against the cold, hard wall to watch the show. There was always time to be entertained, after all.

Tayne held back yet another laugh. This was getting all too interesting. 8 Million geld. Up to 20. It was fantastic. He didn't care for all the bantering, but he waited it out. He knew sooner or later he'd taste the sweet blood on his blades, and then, the loving tug of a fortune behind him. He'd be able to get whatever he want, and then take care of his long-time nemesis. It was all too good.

"So, this is all well and good. The terms are set. Is there anything else we need to know, because I am eager to set on the road."

"Well if you want to see all the money then you will have to travel with me to my base in Tel Reth. Unfrotunently it is a 10 day journey from here. However if you still insist on seeing this money then I will take you to it." Ugarte said to Dove.

"But surely you can afford to have someone teleport us all to this city and back here if you indeed have 20 million geld to just toss about." Dove said with a challanging tone to her voice.

"Indeed," Ugarte started as a smile crept to his face. "However while finding someone to teleport all of you would be no problem; However for Bob and I.....hmm.... well I guess you could say magic used on us is like throwing a single grain of sand into the deepest canyon in hopes to fill it. Also how would Bob be able to protect you from any possible demon attack?" Ugarte then turned to Tayne. "I am sure that you have your own plans to get to Gyrfalcon. Don't let me stop you from starting your hunt. However if you need anything please come to my place in Tel Reth. I am sure I can find something that can help you." Ugarte then turned back to Dove. "So shall we go? If we are to go it might as well be now."

"I don't need to see the money. I'll take your word. All I need is the directions to the keep, and I'll take care of the rest. I suggest you all hurry along your way, or Gyrfalcon and his bodyguard will be dead before you get there."

There was disgruntled and condescending sniffs and scoffs about the room to which shrugged for the umpteenth time to. Ugarte handed Tayne a map. "This should do for you. Be wary of what lurks in the shadows, fool." Tayne laughed and headed for the door. Turning around with a grin on his face, he laughed again and left.